Menu

Be honest-does this make me a snob?

Guest submarines
I've been thinking about that and the the possibility that he/she was just really tired. I know I've typed some very odd things I wouldn't ever dream I would write here on these boards when I'm really tired---like using the word hear for here.

True, but I wouldn't dream of sending a newsletter out without proofreading, especially as I too type crazy things when tired or distracted.

Also, it does say something about the entire group, if these newsletters are ongoing. Is there no one to gently say, "Hey, let me proofread it next time!"?

True, but I wouldn't dream of sending a newsletter out without proofreading, especially as I too type crazy things when tired or distracted.

Also, it does say something about the entire group, if these newsletters are ongoing. Is there no one to gently say, "Hey, let me proofread it next time!"?

It's such a common error. Why is the apostrophe such an issue? I've made worse mistakes, for sure. Even people I condsider intelligent have misused it. I wonder why this is such a issue for so many people...people who are not ignorant, write well etc.

I've also seen folks use the apostrophe correctly in some sentences, and wrong in other sentences, and in the same letter/email. It's so odd.

Proofreading is really important, and I think important documents should be read by multiple people. Fresh eyes are important. Our brains can fill in certain blanks and not notice even obvious errors. Spellcheck is often no help.

Edited by LibraryLover

Hey I am going to go out on a limb hear and say just join. I am not a parent so maybe I am not as sensitive? I have issues with grammar also and its not as easy as it looks. I spent years not writing well because I could not spell words or use proper grammar. Its very embarrassing being called out on your mistakes. I will never forget when a WTM poster sent me a PM with grammar corrections because I was writing alot instead a lot and was wondering if I should choose certain classes. I am almost died and that message did not come at a very good time and lets just leave it at that. All I am trying to say is its very easy to label someone as dumb or unqualified to teach because of a grammar mistake but some of us for some reason just can not see our mistakes. For example I have re read this message like 5000 times and put it through spell check and I am sure I missed something because I always do. Just try not to judge a book by its cover and as far as helping with the grammar leave them alone unless you become buddies its going to hurt... a lot :crying:

I find the volunteer argument to be a bit... I don't know, but it's a bit something.

In my teens and twenties, I volunteered as a medic. I don't think anyone would have accepted an lower standard of care because I was volunteering in my "spare" time between duties as a full-time employee and the single mother of a young child. The state, our medical director, and the courts (should it come to that) would not accept a garbage care report, either.

I volunteer my time now, to other organizations, and it wouldn't occur to me to turn out a half-a$$ed training video or document.

I'm busy. I still edit my work, and have others proofread or beta test before I roll it out to general membership or the public. I have a really hard time with the idea that, because work isn't paid and is accomplished in addition to myriad other (often unpaid) obligations, it's fine to produce cr@p and everyone else can just suck it up.

Perhaps that makes me an egregious snob - so be it - but the level of effort you put into something conveys your general feeling about its importance. Things like rampant grammatical errors in a newsletter tell me the group isn't particularly concerned with details or communication, both of which I would find incredibly frustrating if we joined for field trips.

It would bug me but I would still join. Like a pp said, it's field trips you are planning to do, not classes. I would stay away from grammar and writing classes taught by the newsletter editor for sure.

I have worked in publishing and marketing related fields. Even with professional proofreaders some things slip in uncorrected. So the random typo or mistake is something I can overlook. Multiple errors over and over is something that would be really annoying. If you are a snob, I am one too and we seem to have a lot of company.

Hey I am going to go out on a limb hear and say just join. I am not a parent so maybe I am not as sensitive? I have issues with grammar also and its not as easy as it looks. I spent years not writing well because I could not spell words or use proper grammar. Its very embarrassing being called out on your mistakes. I will never forget when a WTM poster sent me a PM with grammar corrections because I was writing alot instead a lot and was wondering if I should choose certain classes. I am almost died and that message did not come at a very good time and lets just leave it at that. All I am trying to say is its very easy to label someone as dumb or unqualified to teach because of a grammar mistake but some of us for some reason just can not see our mistakes. For example I have re read this message like 5000 times and put it through spell check and I am sure I missed something because I always do. Just try not to judge a book by its cover and as far as helping with the grammar leave them alone unless you become buddies its going to hurt... a lot :crying:

:grouphug: Grace is a hard lesson to learn, obviously harder than grammar for many people. Hugs to you! :grouphug:

I find the volunteer argument to be a bit... I don't know, but it's a bit something.

In my teens and twenties, I volunteered as a medic. I don't think anyone would have accepted an lower standard of care because I was volunteering in my "spare" time between duties as a full-time employee and the single mother of a young child. The state, our medical director, and the courts (should it come to that) would not accept a garbage care report, either.

I volunteer my time now, to other organizations, and it wouldn't occur to me to turn out a half-a$$ed training video or document.

I'm busy. I still edit my work, and have others proofread or beta test before I roll it out to general membership or the public. I have a really hard time with the idea that, because work isn't paid and is accomplished in addition to myriad other (often unpaid) obligations, it's fine to produce cr@p and everyone else can just suck it up.

Perhaps that makes me an egregious snob - so be it - but the level of effort you put into something conveys your general feeling about its importance. Things like rampant grammatical errors in a newsletter tell me the group isn't particularly concerned with details or communication, both of which I would find incredibly frustrating if we joined for field trips.

:iagree:

I think most people expect various levels of professionalism from different organizations. For a low key organization that just does field trips or such I'm not expecting the same level of professionalism as I would from a multi-national Charity organization or such. No one has to suck it up and just live with a horrible job, they can volunteer themselves or just not participate. You are free to think that they are idiots and they are free to think you are a snob.

I really like things well organized, so I often volunteer to help with organizing because it is a pet peeve of mine and something that I naturally do well. ( I don't however volunteer to do lots of public speaking or teaching other people's children) I've found in different situations however that there are different wants and needs. I'm more formal in our Cub Scout troop than I am with our homeschool group, which is an extremely laid back group(most of the moms are much more laid back than I am).

As someone else said I wouldn't sign up my child to be taught be someone making all sorts of mistakes but I wouldn't discount an entire group based on that. People can be perfectly lovely and make good friends or playmates for my kids even if they use bad grammar. It just isn't my criteria for choosing friends or playmates.

Edited by soror

I think most people expect various levels of professionalism from different organizations. For a low key organization that just does field trips or such I'm not expecting the same level of professionalism as I would from a multi-national Charity organization or such. No one has to suck it up and just live with a horrible job, they can volunteer themselves or just not participate. You are free to think that they are idiots and they are free to think you are a snob.

I really like things well organized, so I often volunteer to help with organizing because it is a pet peeve of mine and something that I naturally do well. ( I don't however volunteer to do lots of public speaking or teaching other people's children) I've found in different situations however that there are different wants and needs. I'm more formal in our Cub Scout troop than I am with our homeschool group, which is an extremely laid back group(most of the moms are much more laid back than I am).

As someone else said I wouldn't sign up my child to be taught be someone making all sorts of mistakes but I wouldn't discount an entire group based on that. People can be perfectly lovely and make good friends or playmates for my kids even if they use bad grammar. It just isn't my criteria for choosing friends or playmates.

Totally get that. Different standards apply to different situations. I'm right there with you. I change my approach to fit the situation. I, for instance, would not consider replying to a business inquiry with a "{snort!}", but I do that happily when chatting with a friend. Totally different audiences.

Would you volunteer to speak, or teach someone else's children, and do so with the attitude that they should be happy with whatever you toss off, since those are not your area, and you don't care to put too much effort into it? Because I think that's the part that people find irksome. At least that's the part *I* find irksome.

Do I want to do fun field trips with my kids with people who don't know the difference between snacks and snack's? :tongue_smilie:

How many people work on the newsletter? Probably there is only one offending mom in the group and since she won't be in charge of teaching your dc English. I think you should do it. :001_smile:

I do understand the sentiment though. I can be a grammar nazi at times myself. The ticky (or not so ticky) grammar points that I have mastered irritate me in others. I also know there are probably some grammar points that I'm not aware of and probably end up irritating other people with them. I haven't quite finished my re-education. But I'm getting there.

Apostrophe misuse bothers me, too. Apparently, it's genetic. Last year, my son made a Father's Day card that said "Happy Fathr's Day, Grandpa!" He couldn't spell father, but he knew darn well it needed an apostrophe.

I certainly would not entrust them with my son's language arts education, but it would not stop me from going on fun field trips :)

As for the volunteer thing. Volunteering for something as minor as not brain surgery, one sesssion with Mrs Mungo (or someone like her ;)) helping with the newsletter might clear this all up. :)

One might even find a friend. "Oh thank you for helping with that last newsletter. She was driving me crazy with all the kitten killing. I didn't know how to tell her! She is such a nice person. I didn't want to hurt her feelings!" Have a little giggle together, then go on your merry field trip way.

I will never forget when a WTM poster sent me a PM with grammar corrections because I was writing alot instead a lot and was wondering if I should choose certain classes.

That is bizarre behavior. Why would anyone do that? Just assume they were not raised in an environment where socially correct behavior was encouraged.

Important documents should be read by multiple people. Fresh eyes are important. Our brains can fill in certain blanks and not notice even obvious errors. Spellcheck is often no help.

I totally agree. More than one set of eyes should see something like that. I just edited a cookbook with 2 other ladies. There were many times that I would miss something after doing 50 recipes in a row. We had to go over and over everything because you stop seeing the errors after a while. You are just scanning at some point, not reading carefully.

Snob? Maybe.

:D

You said be honest. :) And honestly, we all make mistakes and have habits tendencies and misinformation that occasionally offends that offend the notions of others.

Mini Rant: I'm TIRED of writing skills being seen as a reflection of intelligence, education, motivation or otherwise- its not true! Really! :) So "Grammar Police".....you can stand down. :D People who make errors are not lazy, stupid or uneducated (nor do they need to be snottily corrected). :)

Back to OP, if this was your kiddos LA teacher, that would obviously be different.....but as you said- its field trips. Not a big deal. :) Relax and enjoy!

Snob? Maybe.

You said be honest. :) And honestly, we all make mistakes and have habits tendencies and misinformation that occasionally offends that offend the notions of others.

Mini Rant: I'm TIRED of writing skills being seen as a reflection of intelligence, education, motivation or otherwise- its not true! Really! :) So "Grammar Police".....you can stand down. :D People who make errors are not lazy, stupid or uneducated (nor do they need to be snottily corrected). :)

Back to OP, if this was your kiddos LA teacher, that would obviously be different.....but as you said- its field trips. Not a big deal. :) Relax and enjoy!

:iagree: I couldn't have said it better.

And I am tired of people insisting that it is too difficult to take a minute to proofread documents that are representing you as a group. If you are tired or dyslexic or can't spell, then get someone else to help you proofread. It IS lazy not to do that, IMO.

And I am tired of people insisting that it is too difficult to take a minute to proofread documents that are representing you as a group. If you are tired or dyslexic or can't spell, then get someone else to help you proofread. It IS lazy not to do that, IMO.
Exactly.

If it were a private Christmas letter, I wouldn't say anything about it, nor would I give it much thought.

But a homeschool newsletter or website, where it is representing the group? It needs proofread by someone that knows their (not there or they're) grammar.

Snob? Maybe.

Except that most grammar errors are made because the writer has not been educated on usage. I agree that most people are neither stupid nor lazy, but can't we agree that when people can't use apostrophes correctly it is probably an educational problem?

I am totally dyslexic. I made Mrs Mungo proofread my resume. :lol:

Would you volunteer to speak, or teach someone else's children, and do so with the attitude that they should be happy with whatever you toss off, since those are not your area, and you don't care to put too much effort into it? Because I think that's the part that people find irksome. At least that's the part *I* find irksome.

No, I wouldn't volunteer to teach anything at this point but that is another discussion :). If I did I would try to fill the description to the best of my ability or find someone else. I would expect to receive the level of instruction offered if taking classes(which from this board seems to be a very wide range from playtime all the way to officially credited classes) but I don't think the newsletter is necessarily indicative of that and the OP was just looking for field trips anyway. That is why it wouldn't be a big deal to me. As I said though our local hs group is very informal and we don't advertise otherwise. We do ask others to proofread when we type things up and try to do a decent job but I'm sure there are mistakes missed.

Personally I would love a Mrs. Mungo session though. My brain is much more wired for numbers and my eyes glaze over when trying to study anything grammar related. I did somehow make A's on my papers in college although I've forgotten so much I'm really not sure how I pulled that off.

Edited by soror

It bothers me too. That was probably obvious, I guess?

I would still join, but I would probably offer to do the newsletter. I might add a "grammar fact of the day" feature to the newsletter. :P

Agree! Don't NOT join because of something unrelated to the quality of the group. You've got possibly only one Mom or Dad with bad grammar there. Tell someone you have noticed many errors and that you'd be happy to do the newsletter!

I do have to admit that there is this one local woman that offers all of these "camps" at her house and she misspells all sorts of words and makes all kinds of grammar errors regularly in her flyers. She's never offered anything we wanted to do, but it does irk me when I receive her multiple emails.

Absolutely. It reflects upon everyone involved. If you are a bad speller or grammarian, you probably know a good one who can quickly correct the errors. It just gives a bad impression if it is a regular feature, as opposed to an isolated incident.

More than one set of eyes should see something like that. I just edited a cookbook with 2 other ladies. There were many times that I would miss something after doing 50 recipes in a row. We had to go over and over everything because you stop seeing the errors after a while. You are just scanning at some point, not reading carefully.

Right. I rarely make errors. But I just had my husband reread something important that I was going to submit, and I had missed a thing or two on the page. I'm glad he read it. A second set of eyes is ALWAYS helpful.

I did a newsletter once. I was rather careful about proofreading, and I am well-educated.

However...

When it was time for me to step down, I spent a YEAR trying to find and train a replacement. I even tried to split the job. I asked if there were anyone who could take over just half of the work. (I did the members' newsletter and the external PR. I made it clear that I would be thrilled if someone would take over either one.) We had a tradition that various co-leaders were responsible for most of the newsletter submissions anyway. All I had to do for the newsletter was cut and paste what everyone else wrote!

Over the course of the year, I only had one person slightly interested. She stopped attending. I have no idea what they did the following year. I found no one. I think some other leader may have taken to producing a single-sided sheet of paper that listed the activities for the month because she felt guilty about the lack of an official newsletter, but not one person actually wanted to volunteer.

So, that said, I can totally picture there being not one busy mom in the group willing to step in and volunteer to help prevent the current misuse of apostrophes. Even half of the "snobs" on this thread are advising the OP to be careful not to get stuck with the responsibility.

Either you care enough to make it happen yourself, or you let it go. If you don't have time to make it your own priority, then you have to turn a blind eye when no one else does it for you. They'd probably be better off not having a newsletter at all, but apparently someone who can't use apostrophes does care enough to keep producing it.

I'd join with Ms. Mungo's approach in mind, or just attend without reading the newsletter.

:grouphug: Grace is a hard lesson to learn, obviously harder than grammar for many people. Hugs to you! :grouphug:

Thank You I am sure that she did not mean to offend but that is my soft spot. I have since then doubled my spelling and grammar workload and tried a million ways to practice and it has improved. Even my teachers have commented on the improvement but its a sloooooow and painful process that does not come naturally and what should take me 30 min takes me an hour but at least I can feel proud of my work. Oh and on a side do not offend an over worked momma that's like shoving your hand in a meat grinder :ack2:

I'm also tired of those who are concerned with very basic grammar and punctuation skills being labeled grammar police or grammar nazis. Knowing how to properly use an aspostrophe is about as basic as it gets. If I came here and ranted about someone I saw in a store who was picking their nose would I be a social behaviour nazi?

I don't think there is anything wrong with having a basic level of expectations in regards to communication. And frankly, I would wonder about the group. Are the members not interested enough in the group to care about how the consistently bad writing makes their group look? That doesn't sound like a committed group. Do they avoid confrontation? That sounds like an unhealthy group. Are they just not that interested, passionate or curious about subjects like grammar? Not a group of women I'd want to spend long hours talking to (ETA - simply because I AM interested in those things and that's partly why I would join a homeschooling group. That last sentence did sound snobby, sorry.)

And no, I don't think that's snobbery. I think its about having about expectations and actually paying attention to the hints people give about themselves.

Edited by WishboneDawn

So, that said, I can totally picture there being not one busy mom in the group willing to step in and volunteer to help prevent the current misuse of apostrophes.

I know last year it was just myself and another lady for half of the year and her grammar and spelling were much, much worse than my own. We begged and begged people to help but no one would step up to help. It would have been nice had all those people with all the great *ideas* and suggestions stepped up and helped! Thankfully though we have a handful of ladies now so it is much easier to divide the responsibility. That also means we can make things a bit more formal(although still very, very, very far from formal by the standards of this board). We are trying to babystep our group to a more organized and formal group but we aren't sure if that will be wanted or not around here.

:banghead: Alright I have seen quite a few people saying how why can't people proof read. That is fine and dandy but we do.not.see.the.mistakes! Everyone has something that they are awful at and like my mother has always told me "until you look in the mirror and see the picture of perfection DO NOT knock other people" it hurts and its uncalled for. If it bothers do not send the child to the co-op. I congratulate the mothers running those co-ops they work hard to teach their children and other children! The important thing is they are trying to be good mothers to their children and if all they are letting slip through the cracks is a few commas then life is pretty good. Just remember not everybody has somebody to ask for help.

:rant:

I'm also tired of those who are concerned with very basic grammar and punctuation skills being labeled grammar police or grammar nazis. Knowing how to properly use an aspostrophe is about as basic as it gets. If I came here and ranted about someone I saw in a store who was picking their nose would I be a social behaviour nazi?

I don't think there is anything wrong with having a basic level of expectations in regards to communication. And frankly, I would wonder about the group. Are the members not interested enough in the group to care about how the consistently bad writing makes their group look? That doesn't sound like a committed group. Do they avoid confrontation? That sounds like an unhealthy group. Are they just not that interested, passionate or curious about subjects like grammar? Not a group of women I'd want to spend long hours talking to (ETA - simply because I AM interested in those things and that's partly why I would join a homeschooling group. That last sentence did sound snobby, sorry.)

And no, I don't think that's snobbery. I think its about having about expectations and actually paying attention to the hints people give about themselves.

I believe that was lobbed in my direction, so I'll answer.

RE nose picking- well, to me, if you commented on their behavior in such a way that made you sound superior and questioned whether you wanted to 'be around them' based that sole, mildly offensive action, I say, yes- that is snobbery and you probably need to lighten up a bit. People are people- warts and all. Life is too short to be so easily offended or turned off by minor habits, shortcomings and insignificant choices of others- because lets face it, we ALL have blind spots, weak sports and offensive actions/words.

If grammar is that major of an issue for you (general) then yes, you are part of the LA police and should be proud!

OP said "Do I want to do fun field trips with my kids with people who don't know the difference between snacks and snack's?...." and *I* heard that (and others responses) more as character judgment than scholastic concern, and to ME it is harsh to base whether you want to be around someone because of grammar.

I know that I am picky and it is a pet peeve of mine and I do make grammar errors, but I think that consistent apostrophe errors like that make them look like bumbling homeschooling idiots in their newsletter.

(There. I said it.)

And that's why I can't bring myself to join. Consistent apostrophe errors in the newsletters that go out to all. Do I want to do fun field trips with my kids with people who don't know the difference between snacks and snack's? :tongue_smilie:

If you are a snob, so am I. I am not impressed when homeschoolers make such obvious mistakes. That doesn't mean I would avoid occasional field trips, but I would not want to set us up to spend a lot of time with homeschoolers who appear to have very different standards/priorities. Occasional field trips or social time would be fine. But I would probably not look to these people for support if I had the impression that our standards were really far apart.

To clarify, if it's personal communication, I don't care. But when it represents a homeschooling group, IMO it is important to make the effort.

Edited by laundrycrisis

Yep. I received an emailed prayer request for the local community written by a clearly well intentioned person who did not appear to write English extremely well. I forgot what it was, but the given reason for the prayer contained a homophone or a word that sounded fairly similar. The man sending the email picked the wrong word -- one that was horribly insulting, like praying for someone to get sick. I pointed it out to my husband, who passed it on, and eventually the email was resent, corrected. It was that bad. I continue to hold that such emails MUST be proofread, but, alas, apparently not. But there's never been such a big mistake again.

I think it's poor form for any educational organization to include grammar / spelling mistakes.

It may be poor form but the OP was not looking for any educational classes but merely fun field trips for her child. I don't understand not doing field trips because somebody does not write well. I wouldn't decline simply based on grammar for something so informal. I would try it out if the trips sounded interesting, it might end up being great fun for my child and perhaps a source of friends as well. Thankfully we can all make our own choices though, as it is a free country. The OP asked for honest opinions though so she is hearing both sides.

I would still join, but I would probably offer to do the newsletter. I might add a "grammar fact of the day" feature to the newsletter. :P

I am on the leadership committee of my local hs support group. Many times we get complaints from those who do not wish to help. Why not offer to help edit the newsletter? I'm sure the person who sent it out got lots of complaints and leadership only has that person who volunteered. Help them out instead of complaining about it. ;)

Yep, it kinda does. You're going to discount an entire group of people because Ms. Clara can't use an apostrophe correctly? I can see not signing up for her Editing 101 class, but I don't see how Ms. Clara would ruin your son's trip to the science center.

If you don't WANT to join a co-op, you don't need a reason, but this seems like a kind of flakey reason for missing out on discounted tickets to field trips.

Or as the OP has asked us to weigh in... is she a snob? I am thinking if this first impression bugs her to not participate for a social reason, then yes, she is a snob. :D I know most hsers are too busy to judge over grammatical errors in a newsletter and the support group most likely needs more volunteers. Again, an example of the 1% leaders working to make the 99% members happy. But there will always be someone in the 99% ready to complain. :glare: My take on it is to call them out on it and VOLUNTEER. Put your money where your mouth is. (That usually shuts them up. LOL)

Proofreading tip to avoid the errors missed when scanning or when you have no choice but the proof your own work for some reason- read the text backwards. I learned this from a daily newspaper copy editor and it works well. It reduces the number of assumptions and tricks of the eye (where you see what you think should be there instead of what is there.)

Killing kittens? What is this in reference to?

Mrs. Mungo's signature. :)

I try very very hard to not let the little things bother me. Honestly. And I think I'm a nice, normal person. I do volunteer a lot in other organizations. I'm sorry some think of me as a bit snobby, but I still think that if you present yourself as an educational group, you should be able to catch simple grammatical errors. Ad yes, I will end up joining for the fun field trips, I just plan on keeping my mouth shut. I'm already in charge of too many things!:lol:

One of the reasons I find it distressing to find errors in printed communication designed for the public (personal errors in e-mail, etc, don't bother me as much) that are coming from homeschool organizations is that I, myself, am looking for academic guidance toward excellence, and it undermines my confidence that I can find it in that group.

I totally understand that grammar/spelling is not the forte of every individual, but all the suggestions along the lines of "If it bothers you so much, proofread it yourself" kind of make it worse--if I'm the only in a group of educators who knows/cares enough to do language well, that's an indicator that I am probably not going to be able to find support of an academic nature in that group. Maybe I'll enjoy having someone else organize field trips or my kids will find some friends or I'll have other mommies to talk with, but I won't find meaningful academic support.

And it's hard to find meaningful academic support.

No, it does not make you a snob. That would drive me nuts too. You are not being picky; you have the realistic expectation that a homeschool mom at least understands basic grammar.

(And just for saying that, I've probably made a giant error in my post, lol.)

I'd probably miss out socially and prefer to sit home correcting others' mistakes. There, I said it.

Common problem, and not just with homeschool groups. Letters home from teachers, signs on businesses, newspapers... you see errors everywhere.

Errors in the newsletter would make me pause about academic classes, but not necessarily field trips. It would be one warning flag, but I would need to see others, too. It could be one person whom everyone else is too polite to tell, or it could show a pattern of parents who don't care about education in general.

It's hard to get some people to see that *other people* do care about the errors, because they don't know enough to see it in the things they read. Does that make sense? So if you never have a "ooh, that's not right" moment, you don't see how they make others think differently of you. We had a local woman who always wanted to do academic classes, and she eventually took over an academic program, and no matter how we urged her, she never would let anyone proofread for her. Everything was riddled with incorrect usage, spelling errors, and factual errors. At the point where she was told and doesn't care, it has to affect your opinion. :001_huh: