Menu

Ignorance about homeschooling...

There's a political forum I like to read...every now and then the topic of homeschooling comes up. Here's a little gem I just read:

"I just think it's horribly irresponsible for a NON teacher to TEACH grade school level studies to a child. What's the point of going to school to major in first - sixth grade education, becoming certified/licensed, getting educated and becoming a REAL teacher, if some random "housewife" can just up and do the same thing? You can't tell me the quality of the learning will be the same.

I think that it should be against the law to home school your child UNLESS you are certified as a teacher to do so. There's just too many topics covered from first - sixth grade and you can't tell me some unqualified "housewife" is going to provide all of the education that a person that has a degree in education that is certified to TEACH first - sixth grade education will provide."

I don't ever post on the forum I found this on, but this is really making me want to do so. :glare:

There's a political forum I like to read...every now and then the topic of homeschooling comes up. Here's a little gem I just read:

"I just think it's horribly irresponsible for a NON teacher to TEACH grade school level studies to a child. What's the point of going to school to major in first - sixth grade education, becoming certified/licensed, getting educated and becoming a REAL teacher, if some random "housewife" can just up and do the same thing? You can't tell me the quality of the learning will be the same.

I think that it should be against the law to home school your child UNLESS you are certified as a teacher to do so. There's just too many topics covered from first - sixth grade and you can't tell me some unqualified "housewife" is going to provide all of the education that a person that has a degree in education that is certified to TEACH first - sixth grade education will provide."

I don't ever post on the forum I found this on, but this is really making me want to do so. :glare:

LOLOL.

Yeah, my poor daughter and son. Top 1% on every national test. The deprivation!

And just first to sixth grade? Really?

Edited by TranquilMind

:glare:

Wow! I wonder what that poster would think about a "housewife" TEACHING high school?:D

I will agree with him on one point: I can't tell him that the quality of learning will be the same - that is why this "housewife" started homeschooling in the first place.

I guess the ability to do anything meaningful and worthwhile is directly tied to being certified by a third party.

When I get a certificate, then I am born and exist. When I get a certificate then I am married. When I get a license, then I am a driver. When I get a passport, then I am a traveler. When I get a certificate, then I am educated.

What a weird society we have created.

Teach him logic. Ask him what real teachers teach. Are we expected to actually learn from a real teacher? If most of us have learned from a real teacher and have mastered the skills they have taught us, then how is it so impossible for us to teach these exact same skills, that we have mastered, to our children?

Then I would go on to explain that the difference is that "real" teachers are learning crowd control and classroom techniques in college. "Housewives" don't have any of those same issues. We simply teach the skills that need to be mastered without the beaurocracy. ;)

Teach him logic. Ask him what real teachers teach. Are we expected to actually learn from a real teacher? If most of us have learned from a real teacher and have mastered the skills they have taught us, then how is it so impossible for us to teach these exact same skills, that we have mastered, to our children?

Then I would go on to explain that the difference is that "real" teachers are learning crowd control and classroom techniques in college. "Housewives" don't have any of those same issues. We simply teach the skills that need to be mastered without the beaurocracy. ;)

Love this. I'd love to see him try and respond to that. Poor thing might contort himself into a pretzel.

I just think it's horribly irresponsible for a NON teacher to TEACH grade school level studies to a child. What's the point of going to school to major in first - sixth grade education, becoming certified/licensed, getting educated and becoming a REAL teacher, if some random "housewife" can just up and do the same thing?

Shhhhh.... Doesn't he know that this secret has been well-kept for many years by the teacher colleges. :leaving: He's about to disappear in the middle of the night.

I guess the ability to do anything meaningful and worthwhile is directly tied to being certified by a third party.

When I get a certificate, then I am born and exist. When I get a certificate then I am married. When I get a license, then I am a driver. When I get a passport, then I am a traveler. When I get a certificate, then I am educated.

Yes, we have. Because, of course, neither you nor I existed or had any talents whatsoever until someone at some organization said we did...

I'm a certified 1st-6th grade teacher (actually, certified PK-3 and 1-8, plus K-12 music and K-12 math) and I can say that about 99% of what I learned in my education classes is not applicable to homeschooling. I didn't learn the content I'm teaching in education classes-I learned it in elementary school. And many of the methods are totally irrelevant when you're teaching 1-1 because they're often designed for teaching children at multiple skill levels at the same time, which doesn't happen when I'm just teaching DD.

I will say that I do think I have an easier time teaching co-op classes than many of the people who homeschooled without teaching in group settings first, but that's solely because I've got some group management skills and a bag of tricks to dip into for classroom management reasons, not for content reasons.

It's interesting that we are in agreement that the gender of the poster is male. :leaving:

The person who posted it has a username of "John Tucker". I found the link with a google search, but don't want to post it here since it is a political site. If you want to see the whole thing, just copy/paste the original quote into google.

What's the point of going to school to major in first - sixth grade education, becoming certified/licensed, getting educated and becoming a REAL teacher, if some random "housewife" can just up and do the same thing? You can't tell me the quality of the learning will be the same.

True! What is the point? I often wondered that myself as I took my t-ed classes, even my master's degree classes. What is the point? Sure, I guess some knowledge of child development may be helpful, especially if you've never had children before, but a Mom is qualified on that level. But I didn't learn a lot in my classes. I learned how to teach by teaching!

And honestly, the quality of learning is probably better in a homeschool, simply by virtue of the fact that the teacher/student ratio is a lot better.

The person who posted it has a username of "John Tucker". I found the link with a google search, but don't want to post it here since it is a political site. If you want to see the whole thing, just copy/paste the original quote into google.

That's interesting. I guess all I met by that was that the simplistic reduction of a woman who stays home to teach the children as an "unqualified housewife" struck me as a bit gender biased. But I've heard women use the same argument about the need to be a certified teacher in order to be qualified to homeschool.

It's interesting that we are in agreement that the gender of the poster is male. :leaving:

I made the assumption because I like to believe in a semblance of hope of solidarity for womankind. I would like to believe another woman, mother or no, would not use term random "housewife", putting housewife in quotes.

According to the government, I am a homemaker, which strictly indicates my income level. I am in no way random or uneducated.

We could use a show. The Real People of the Hive-Trained Mind.

:iagree: I wanna see what the other posters had to say about the comment.

Some people took him to task, but he continued to expose his ignorance. The posts following his original statement are just as amusing. He is really hung up on "professional training" and seems to think there is some 6 week homeschool training course somewhere, that we are all taking to then call ourselves "qualified" to teach our children.

Ah h@ll, it's a conservative male from Michigan, discussing African-Americans homeschooling, need I say more. He's been banned from that board.

I noticed he was conservative, but I didn't notice he was banned. LOL- good to know.

You are doing it all wrong! I just throw mine away after wearing and buy new ones so I have an excuse to keep going to the mall. Besides, I'm sure they are out of style after a week anyway.

I donate mine to poor unfortunate souls who are unable to invest into spandex. It's charity work, ya know. :lol:

Some people took him to task, but he continued to expose his ignorance. The posts following his original statement are just as amusing. He is really hung up on "professional training" and seems to think there is some 6 week homeschool training course somewhere, that we are all taking to then call ourselves "qualified" to teach our children.

Oh, Mary. You mean you didn't go through the 6 week homeschooling training course? What are you doing here??? Are you srsly trying to teach your kids without having gone to the 6 week homeschooling training course?

I was in Mrs. Mungo's class. She got all A's.

Oh, Mary. You mean you didn't go through the 6 week homeschooling training course? What are you doing here??? Are you srsly trying to teach your kids without having gone to the 6 week homeschooling training course?

I think I'm going to print out my certificate now. It has a lovely beehive watermark.

What is a homeschool training class? I missed that one.

Uh huh. That explains why you don't participate in the Koine Greek threads! tsk.

It was a 6wk intensive course at the same place we went for mandatory parenting classes.

We learned how to teach D'Nealian handwriting, how to teach algebra, and how to make our kids line up in rows for bathroom breaks. In the evenings we did Latin conjugations and French folk singalongs. It was great. We had to read Ruskin, Dewey, Gatto, and Spock, and then we spent the rest of the time making posters about how we feel about education.

I'm sorry you missed it! I bet your homeschool is a mess.

(I'm having lots of fun making this up. If I weren't so busy tonight I'd probably carry this whole thing even farther over the top than I've taken it so far!)

Did you notice originally it was 6 months, then he changed it to 6 weeks in later posts. Interesting.

Honestly, his mindset is that someone can not be educated unless they have a college education. That is false. I do not have a college degree, but I have years of work experience, business ownership, self-improvement, and directed self-education. I don't have a piece of paper with a degree, but I consider myself a fairly smart individual.

I do think this can refer back to the discussion this week about requiring college for our kids. While I want that for ds, it's part of package, not his entire education. Learning will not stop once he is out of high school or college.

Passionate people with a purpose have always achieved high. I think many of us here fit that category. Obstacles be da****, we can do this thing, even without the spandex.

I'm a certified 1st-6th grade teacher (actually, certified PK-3 and 1-8, plus K-12 music and K-12 math) and I can say that about 99% of what I learned in my education classes is not applicable to homeschooling. I didn't learn the content I'm teaching in education classes-I learned it in elementary school. And many of the methods are totally irrelevant when you're teaching 1-1 because they're often designed for teaching children at multiple skill levels at the same time, which doesn't happen when I'm just teaching DD.

I will say that I do think I have an easier time teaching co-op classes than many of the people who homeschooled without teaching in group settings first, but that's solely because I've got some group management skills and a bag of tricks to dip into for classroom management reasons, not for content reasons.

True! What is the point? I often wondered that myself as I took my t-ed classes, even my master's degree classes. What is the point? Sure, I guess some knowledge of child development may be helpful, especially if you've never had children before, but a Mom is qualified on that level. But I didn't learn a lot in my classes. I learned how to teach by teaching!

And honestly, the quality of learning is probably better in a homeschool, simply by virtue of the fact that the teacher/student ratio is a lot better.

Like these posters, it was when I was going to get my teaching degree that I decided I would never put my future kids through public/government school and would someday homeschool them!

I'm African-American. I don't think I like what he is intimating. :angry:

But you all are cracking.me.up.:lol:

The poster said he is also African-American. He appears to be a professional student - once he gets his phD, he will continue to get his MBA. He said in another post that homeschooling should be illegal, yet this is another of his posts on his thoughts of public school:

From the age of 6 - 18, kids are enrolled in public school education and are thrown out to the wolves in every sense of the word. It's during these times where the child turns into a teenager, forms all SORTS of theories and perceptions on life, women, men, behavior, etc. It's during these very critical years that either you are going to CREATE a child that will spurge off to do great things (go to college, open a business, be a great citizen), OR it's during these years you are going to CREATE the next welfare momma, drop out, criminal, drug dealer or "GANGSTA".

Obviously some students have a strong enough of a mentality to not fall prey to the "crap" around them in public school, but it's like requiring a young lady to go to work around hookers and EXPECTING her to not become one. It's like requiring a young man to go to work around drug dealers and thugs and EXPECTING him to not become one. YOUR SURROUNDINGS do have an impact and influence on you, help shape your personality and help SHAPE what you deem are priorities, ambitions, motivations and goals.

And these SURROUNDINGS promote violence, promote sex, promote drugs, promote street life, promote IGNORANCE, promote victimhood, and PROMOTE these things as the NORM, so much so that if you take a person OUT of this environment it's difficult as hell to change their outlook on life. They usually just go "back to what they know".

The public school system is FULL of people that come from these surroundings, which means that the public school system is just an extension of these environments. Think about it, we send our kids to "school" to learn and become productive citizens but INSTEAD, we are REALLY sending them off to "ghetto training" in which they are going to learn EVERYTHING ghetto, learn that ANYTHING productive and intelligent is "wrong" or "square", and that the more you raise hell and do "ghetto acts" the more REAL you are, the more COOL you are, the more of a real MAN you are.

So I guess he would rather we send our kids "off to ghetto training" than have a "housewife" teach the kids at home.:001_huh:

or "it"
Or "dunderhead" or "noodle."

(We are reading the unabridged "Peter Pan" and those were two of our vocab words this week. Did y'all take that wonderful literature class in Homeschooling 101? I found it refreshing, especially given my dreadful public school ed background. Anyhow, highly recommend the unabridged Peter Pan. I giggle every time Tinker Bell says, "a$$."

There. If you read that, you are now certified to teach literature and I just saved you six weeks or six months or whatever. ;))

From his later comments:

It's these areas that are driving down the overall numbers and quality of public education overall. As I mentioned, if we do something to clean up these areas, instill better values, the education quality will improve.
It may be "these" (meaning inner city?) areas driving down the numbers, but...

We live in your classic American suburb.

We are ranked as an "exceptional" school by our state. Of the children that graduate and go on to college, ~75% need remedial classes. That doesn't sound like a successful school to me.

Parents here don't think we need to improve the quality of our schools, because they are already great. :tongue_smilie:

I find myself really confused by his posts. As I'm reading through the thread I find myself reading responses and nodding in agreement. Then I look up and see that he was the poster. Many of the things he said make a lot of sense to me.

But then... I'm just a 'random housewife'. What do I know?

If teaching lining up to go to the library, lunch, recess, etc or instructing kids on raising their hands in a class of 30 kids is a requirement to teach, then I am failing miserably. Other than that, I will take his poor thoughts about us "house-wives turned teachers" comment with a grain of salt.

The poster said he is also African-American. He appears to be a professional student - once he gets his phD, he will continue to get his MBA. He said in another post that homeschooling should be illegal, yet this is another of his posts on his thoughts of public school:

From the age of 6 - 18, kids are enrolled in public school education and are thrown out to the wolves in every sense of the word. It's during these times where the child turns into a teenager, forms all SORTS of theories and perceptions on life, women, men, behavior, etc. It's during these very critical years that either you are going to CREATE a child that will spurge off to do great things (go to college, open a business, be a great citizen), OR it's during these years you are going to CREATE the next welfare momma, drop out, criminal, drug dealer or "GANGSTA".

Obviously some students have a strong enough of a mentality to not fall prey to the "crap" around them in public school, but it's like requiring a young lady to go to work around hookers and EXPECTING her to not become one. It's like requiring a young man to go to work around drug dealers and thugs and EXPECTING him to not become one. YOUR SURROUNDINGS do have an impact and influence on you, help shape your personality and help SHAPE what you deem are priorities, ambitions, motivations and goals.

And these SURROUNDINGS promote violence, promote sex, promote drugs, promote street life, promote IGNORANCE, promote victimhood, and PROMOTE these things as the NORM, so much so that if you take a person OUT of this environment it's difficult as hell to change their outlook on life. They usually just go "back to what they know".

The public school system is FULL of people that come from these surroundings, which means that the public school system is just an extension of these environments. Think about it, we send our kids to "school" to learn and become productive citizens but INSTEAD, we are REALLY sending them off to "ghetto training" in which they are going to learn EVERYTHING ghetto, learn that ANYTHING productive and intelligent is "wrong" or "square", and that the more you raise hell and do "ghetto acts" the more REAL you are, the more COOL you are, the more of a real MAN you are.

So I guess he would rather we send our kids "off to ghetto training" than have a "housewife" teach the kids at home.:001_huh:

If you don't mind, PM me a link to this guy's posts. I can't get there doing a search since I refuse to give google any more of my info. Thx.

Makes me want to get "random" on his ***. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Especially since they have been compared to an animal. Poor animal, to be compared to a beast with such low intelligience. I feel for all the @$$3$ in the world that have such humans mistaken for them.

:lol:

:iagree:

Uh huh. That explains why you don't participate in the Koine Greek threads! tsk.

It was a 6wk intensive course at the same place we went for mandatory parenting classes.

We learned how to teach D'Nealian handwriting, how to teach algebra, and how to make our kids line up in rows for bathroom breaks. In the evenings we did Latin conjugations and French folk singalongs. It was great. We had to read Ruskin, Dewey, Gatto, and Spock, and then we spent the rest of the time making posters about how we feel about education.

I'm sorry you missed it! I bet your homeschool is a mess.

(I'm having lots of fun making this up. If I weren't so busy tonight I'd probably carry this whole thing even farther over the top than I've taken it so far!)

Don't forget the eight-hour-long seminar on whether to take Algebra 2 before or after Geometry!

:iagree:

The poster said he is also African-American. He appears to be a professional student - once he gets his phD, he will continue to get his MBA.

Yes, he's young, single, living in Sterling Heights, working in Troy as a financial services rep., a member of Republicans for Black Empowerment, and supporting Mitt Romney for 2012. He attended UofM for a Bachelor of Arts, Journalism from 2006-2010, Western Governors University for a MBA and Bachelor of Science in Business Management from 2008-2012, and is working to be a certified management accountant at IMA. His interests include academic, economic, political and health related activities and debates which tend to get him banned from forums. His view on just about everything is readily available via the internet.;) I wonder if it's all the same person because he seems to contradict himself.

Edited by melmichigan