Menu

I've never read Anne of Green Gables...

...and I just finished a book, so I'm looking for something to read. Should I finally read it? I have so many books to read. I guess I just need someone to tell me they love it. I bought the entire series at a booksale, so this could end up being the summer of Anne!

I LOVE AoGG!

I read the entire series almost yearly. I love following Anne as she becomes a young woman, and then an adult with her own family. I even love the books with her children as the main characters (Rilla of Ingleside is so fun & cute.)

READ THEM. PRONTO! ;)

I grew up with an aversion to Anne of Green Gables. My grandparents had it on video and I watched it when I was too young to really appreciate it.

I gave them a chance as an adult, and enjoyed them (though I admit I haven't been able to get into Rilla of Ingleside).

...and I just finished a book, so I'm looking for something to read. Should I finally read it? I have so many books to read. I guess I just need someone to tell me they love it. I bought the entire series at a booksale, so this could end up being the summer of Anne!

YES. :D

Well, I've never read them either. Now you all convinced me to go the 3 books together on Kindle for $.99. I look forward to reading them!

Do you know I was in my very early 30's, or maybe late 20's, before I read any of the Lord of the Rings books? As much of a reader as I've always been, neither of these had ever really come up for me.

I have really fond memories of reading the entire series in 6th grade. I would rush home from school so I could pick up where I left off and would spend the whole afternoon immersed in them, curled up with my cat. Now I reread the series every few years. I still love them as much as I did then, definitely not to be missed.

Yes you should read them especially the first few in the series. I have read all of them. After awhile Anne got on my nerves a bit because I don't like how indecisive she is, but I still really enjoyed the books even if I did want to hit her in the head with a two by four a few times. :lol::leaving:

*shock! gasp!* you have to read! <3 Anne with an E!

I will be the one negative voice: I really and truly did not care for Anne. I hope, for your sake, that you adore it and have a splendid summer of reading.

I did enjoy the Emily series by L. M. Montgomery, though. A bit darker than Anne. And I agree, some of the other L. M. Montgomery books are great; I, too, enjoyed The Blue Castle.

Now, :auto: before the loyal Anne fans throw tomatoes. :-)

I will be the one negative voice: I really and truly did not care for Anne. I hope, for your sake, that you adore it and have a splendid summer of reading.

I did enjoy the Emily series by L. M. Montgomery, though. A bit darker than Anne. And I agree, some of the other L. M. Montgomery books are great; I, too, enjoyed The Blue Castle.

Now, :auto: before the loyal Anne fans throw tomatoes. :-)

Emily is autobiographical and so it should seem more real. LMM identified with Emily.

I liked Emily as well but I don't dislike Anne.

Anne series = INCREDIBLE :)

Emily series = INCREDIBLE but for a completely different reason

Both are on my 'mental floss' list for 'must read at least once every 3-4yrs' and I have the boxed sets of them bought properly on PEI when I was a pre-teen, on one of those family trips :) Growing up in the Maritimes, this was our "Laura" book series, where things made sense that don't to those who aren't from a maritime tradition.

At university (in the Maritimes), one of the popular "students not from here" trips would be to PEI & the associated LMMontgomery sites. It usually was on the list w/ Hopewell Rocks (highest tides in the world) and Magnetic Hill (illusion hill in Moncton, NB that messes w/ your mind even if you know the trick!).

And, FWIW, these were NOT on the curriculum at school growing up as it was assumed the girls would read it and the boys would hit you if you even suggested they read them!

Maritimer for life :) Grew up in Saint John, NB; university in Saint John, then Fredericton, NB, then grad school in Guelph, ON. Moved to Moncton, NB when done w/ grad school. Do.Not.Wish.To.Live.Elsewhere!

Love the Anne series.

I'd say Anne of Ingleside is prob my fave of all.

Def read in order though ;)

Now this is interesting to me! AoI and AoWP were written last at the insistence of LMM's publisher, and she was never fond of them. I do tend to think they are the weakest in the series. I especially dislike the foreshadowing in AoI.

My favorite is Anne of the Island, I think (or maybe Anne's House of Dreams). I identified with it so much when I was that age!

I also recommend The Blue Castle (I wore out my original copy!) and I really enjoy A Tangled Web too.

Really, I would just read the whole canon. :tongue_smilie:

Now this is interesting to me! AoI and AoWP were written last at the insistence of LMM's publisher, and she was never fond of them. I do tend to think they are the weakest in the series. I especially dislike the foreshadowing in AoI.

My favorite is Anne of the Island, I think (or maybe Anne's House of Dreams). I identified with it so much when I was that age!

I also recommend The Blue Castle (I wore out my original copy!) and I really enjoy A Tangled Web too.

Really, I would just read the whole canon. :tongue_smilie:

Funny, b/c Anne of the Island is my *least* favourite.

I think part of it is, as I said in another thread, Aunt Mary Maria is soooo like my MIL it gives me chills. So exactly what living w/her would be like :lol:

Anne's House of Dreams is my favourite.

Story Girl is also EXCELLENT!

The Story Girl and its sequel The Golden Road are my favourites.

Funny, b/c Anne of the Island is my *least* favourite.

I think part of it is, as I said in another thread, Aunt Mary Maria is soooo like my MIL it gives me chills. So exactly what living w/her would be like :lol:

Lol, now THAT would do it! :lol: :tongue_smilie:

The Story Girl and its sequel The Golden Road are my favourites.

Love them both. I believe that these, as well as "Emily of New Moon" are somewhat autobiographical. The Emily series are also wonderful, especially if you have a dd who likes to write - hey, I should have my dd read them. :001_smile:

I also loved the Chronicles of Avonlea, for further little stories with the characters from the Anne books. (There's also a More Chronicles... for those who just want more!) ;)
Some of the stories are delightful, others pretty good, but these volumes should be pre-read as there are a couple stories (and only a couple) with racist content and which do not, IMHO, possess sufficient merit to read in spite of this. I'll look up the story titles later.

I love Anne. I still have my original copies of all the books that I purchased with my babysitting money. The books read aloud very well. I always chose an excerpt from one of the books when I had to give a book excerpt speech. Anne walking the roof reads especially well.

Some of the stories are delightful, others pretty good, but these volumes should be pre-read as there are a couple stories (and only a couple) with racist content and which do not, IMHO, possess sufficient merit to read in spite of this. I'll look up the story titles later.

I misremembered, and there's only one. There's another story about the conversion of an atheist that we skipped.

Avoid "Tannis of the Flats" - from Further Chronicles... It's not only racist, but is not really a children's story at all. I do take some comfort in the fact that L.M. Montgomery's publisher released the stories in Further Chronicles of Avonlea without her permission.