Menu

s/o No Reply At All---> Chilly Board?

You will not feel that way when you actually meet me. I am the least intimating, mysterious person, ever. I'm 5'1"! I have crazy frizzy hair! I laugh at everything. I was a band nerd. I am the opposite of intimidating, lol! There are a bunch of people who have met (or *know*) me IRL, they will tell you. ;)

You mean band people are nerds? Why didn't anyone tell me? :001_huh:

HAHA, JK. I was a TOTAL band nerd, and still am at heart.

Band nerds unite!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are always people who get more attention, and people who get less. I don't think it has much to do with how long you've been around, how much you post, or even what you post about.

I think that some people are really good at conveying a sense of themselves, in text. Some people post in a way that you can really "hear" their voice, and their personality shines through so much that you feel as if you actually know them. Other people post equally interesting information, or equally helpful advice, but they don't write in a way that shows as much of who they are. Their posts may be appreciated, but people don't feel as if they are "friends."

That's pretty much how I see it too. I do think it's a little about what you post about. If you're someone who shares your personal life and struggles, I think it's easier to make friends than if you're someone like me who just states her opinion loudly all the time. :tongue_smilie:

Agreed with whoever said this place is an acquired taste. Which is not a bad thing at all.

Aw, thanks. That means a whole lot, 'specially to a girl with no eyes!

you are welcome.

How do you like the MediFast? They're a local company and I was there at a health fair for the employees a couple weeks ago... kind of slow for us in the displays, because they have relatively no turnover, but they seem like a good company, and my crazy doc recommends their products, so I wonder what people who are using their stuff think.

I've been using medifast on and off (mostly off) for 20+ years. When I weighed 110lbs (23 years ago) and wanted to get down to 100 for a 10K I was running, I used medifast - that's not what it's for, but it worked.

When I weighed 120 and wanted to get to 100, I used it. it worked.

Ten years ago when dh and I both wanted to lose 40 pounds, we did it together (it was a pain - he whined alot:glare:) -- it took 5 months and I lost 40 pounds. He lost his in 4 mos.

Then, my thyroid went wonky, and the pounds have crept back on....oh, who are we kidding, they jumped onto my backside and thighs when I wasn't looking and now I have to lose an elephant's p*nis (according to a recent thread here).

I am starting my third week -- I have lost 10 pounds - my face is beginning to look like I am losing weight.

My opinion: if you follow the plan (and one does not have to go to the walk in centers and pay for the 'program' -- i have always ordered the product myself online), it should work not withstanding some physiological reason why one cannot lose weight - my thyroid issue is under control and I know that b/c the medifast is working. I had my doc do a full workup prior to starting so i knew that my thyroid was ok.

I feel infinitely better the past two weeks -- the psychological factor/satisfaction/control is enormous - FINALLY I feel like I am in control. THAT is spilling over into other areas of my life -- I am getting up earlier (I do have more energy), going to bed at a reasonable time instead of sitting up till the wee hours unable to sleep, the constant heartburn I deal with is essentially gone (have to think that carbs were causing it), and feel confident that I can do this -- 30lb by my birthday (8/12), 30 by my twins' birthday (10/24) -- after that, well anything I lose is gravy and a huge gift to myself.

I did hcg three years ago and lost 30 pounds in 2 mos -- but when I began eating again, I went back to old habits.

I am going to do this - I have a reason why I am going to stick with it this time -- ( I can PM that to you - it's no biggie, i just don't want it out here on the board), I am working out reasonably -- which is difficult for me. In the past, I have worked myself to exhaustion doing jillian michaels (who I adore) and working out for 2-3 hours a day -- and then injuring myself, and then bagging the whole thing.

I clearly have body issues and exercise issues - i've spent my entire life except for the past few years actually needing to gain weight - but my thyroid and infertility treatment really messed me up.

So -- anyway, not only is my heart burn gone, i have had chronic knee pain for about a year - i thought i injured it doing a lateral knee move, but do you know, after two weeks on medifast, the pain is gone - i think it is somehow linked to carbs or is pseudo-gout -- all i know is that the pain is gone.

I do leslie sansone 3 mile weight loss walk every day - i love it -- i will probably increase and add something else at some point, but I know finally that I have to watch the workout stuff so i don't overdo.

When I did medifast and lost 40pounds, i dropped a clothing size every 2 weeks.

Do I recommend it? Yes. Is it magic? no. It's hard work, not inexpensive, but definitely worth it - it will work if one follow the plan. It's science, not magic.

Ask me anything you want to know.

Edited by MariannNOVA

I think there is definitely a "popular" crowd here, but only because they're frequent posters and share a lot. Nothing wrong with that. I'm a very infrequent poster-- at best I post in fits and starts-- but people are always really helpful when I do. I remember in another one of these feeling-like-you-don't-fit-in threads (and possibly all of us do at one time or another!) I posted how I often felt too liberal for conservative groups, too conservative for liberal groups... and pagan to boot! And you know what? I instantly got a flurry of friend requests. So no, I don't think the board is chilly at all. :)

You will not feel that way when you actually meet me. I am the least intimating, mysterious person, ever. I'm 5'1"! I have crazy frizzy hair! I laugh at everything. I was a band nerd. I am the opposite of intimidating, lol! There are a bunch of people who have met (or *know*) me IRL, they will tell you. ;)

I wanna know when you're coming to Canada. Specifically, to see me.

Forget the Rockies, Niagra Falls, and whatever else Canada has for national monuments. I'm THE reason to visit! :D

Forget the Rockies, Niagra Falls, and whatever else Canada has for national monuments. I'm THE reason to visit! :D

No self-worth issues in Canada, apparently.:lol: It's the diamond jewelry, isn't it? They REALLY are a girl's best friend.

If you're not part of the "in crowd", then yes, it is chilly here.

I am definitely not part of the "in crowd" and yes I have made a post without an answer or maybe one answer that seemed a bit, umm, curt. For the most part I have found the ladies here very warm, helpful and encouraging.

I figure the ones that were not answered came when everyone was busy that had info on it and the ones that got that one curt answer, well, many times a curt answer will kill a thread.:tongue_smilie:

The other thing is I really do not post all that often. Truthfully, I don't spend very much time on the boards or my computer any more.:001_smile:

Well, if getting to Canada was a special trip for us, I'd definitely agree.

There are always people who get more attention, and people who get less. I don't think it has much to do with how long you've been around, how much you post, or even what you post about.

I think that some people are really good at conveying a sense of themselves, in text. Some people post in a way that you can really "hear" their voice, and their personality shines through so much that you feel as if you actually know them. Other people post equally interesting information, or equally helpful advice, but they don't write in a way that shows as much of who they are. Their posts may be appreciated, but people don't feel as if they are "friends."

So I do think the people who say "Just post more! Everyone was a newbie once!" are offbase. That won't bring everyone into the center of the circle, because it's the way you convey an impression of yourself that matters, not just posting enough.

I think the people who are feeling chilled out aren't going to change their minds based on a list like this, because they'll be thinking, "Yeah, this kind of thing gets done for the people who have friends here. Y'all wouldn't do it for me." And honestly, they may be right. Realistically speaking, a relatively obscure poster probably wouldn't get the same outpouring of love and practical support.

:iagree:

I'm one of those posters nobody really knows. My stellar personality :tongue_smilie: just doesn't come across the same on boards. Plus I'm a real introvert. So, I mostly lurk. I have felt ignored before when I posted something, though, so I do get that.

I can't tell you how often I say, "There was this thread on the board the other day about that...." in everyday conversation.

I'm one of those posters nobody really knows. My stellar personality :tongue_smilie: just doesn't come across the same on boards. Plus I'm a real introvert. So, I mostly lurk. I have felt ignored before when I posted something, though, so I do get that.

I can't tell you how often I say, "There was this thread on the board the other day about that...." in everyday conversation.

I tend to remember posters better when they have an avatar and when the word "mom" isn't in their name. There are so many moms it's hard to keep them straight. That said, I don't post here much any more, so maybe it's just me. Now I'll probably remember you mrbmom77. Plus I just used your name in a sentence, old memory trick. Now I'm rambling. :lol:

I tend to remember posters better when they have an avatar and when the word "mom" isn't in their name. There are so many moms it's hard to keep them straight. That said, I don't post here much any more, so maybe it's just me. Now I'll probably remember you mrbmom77. Plus I just used your name in a sentence, old memory trick. Now I'm rambling. :lol:

Hmmm, I do need to add an avatar. And change my siggy, maybe.

I've been here 2.5 years and have a pretty low post count, so I don't really expect people to know me. But I usually come across so differently online that I kind of gave up a long time ago.

I do come here almost daily for news, curriculum ideas, and to follow all the interesting discussions. Not so much the kilt pictures. :auto:

I'll remember you now, too, Karenciavo. :001_smile:

See, I'm quiet and people probably don't really recognize me, but there are some posters (like Karenciavo) who I've been reading (stalking) for years and wish they would post more again ...

Thank you! I was really confused by the "in-crowd" comment as well. I just do not get it. :confused:

I believe there is an in-crowd. It's the people that banter back and forth in all types of threads. It doesn't have to be seen as a mean thing but it really does feel like you're standing next to a few people who are having fun but don't bring you into the banter session. I have posted in those banter sessions and see others do it as well, and we don't always get acknowledged. I even posted a funny kilt picture once and didn't get a single response at all. Granted it was a Santa in a kilt but it was on the thread that got hot because Santa can be a controversy. So I figured my humor is just way different and let it go.

I've been on these boards for 10 years now and I've always felt there was a group of people that seemed to be the "in" people. I don't find it cold though.

I believe there is an in-crowd. It's the people that banter back and forth in all types of threads. It doesn't have to be seen as a mean thing but it really does feel like you're standing next to a few people who are having fun but don't bring you into the banter session. I have posted in those banter sessions and see others do it as well, and we don't always get acknowledged. I even posted a funny kilt picture once and didn't get a single response at all. Granted it was a Santa in a kilt but it was on the thread that got hot because Santa can be a controversy. So I figured my humor is just way different and let it go.

I've been on these boards for 10 years now and I've always felt there was a group of people that seemed to be the "in" people. I don't find it cold though.

Hey, Imp! I think the Elf is talking about you. :lol:

Beth, Santa in a kilt is wrong on so many levels. The thought of it makes me shudder in horror. :lol:

(Okay I promise to put my weird sense of humor back in the box and go to bed now. )

What is that a picture of? Genie coming out of a heart shaped bottle on a beach? Something from LOST?

:lol: at LOST. Love that show - except the ending.

I found that pic online several years ago, don't remember where. I think of it as light pouring from a broken vessel. Reminds me that God can use me even though I'm broken, scarred, messed up. And sometimes when I get my own stupid self out of the way, He does. :D

Hey, Imp! I think the Elf is talking about you. :lol:

Imp is so definitely in the in-crowd!!

Beth, Santa in a kilt is wrong on so many levels. The thought of it makes me shudder in horror. :lol:

I should find it again and make it my avatar. Then maybe people will remember me. :D

I've noticed that, just in general, the men on this board seem to wade right in and generate a lot of strong responses. Remember tntgoodwin's thread about Doug Wilson? And Larry Sanger's threads about, well, anything? And that's without even mentioning the WTM forum's matter-antimatter team of pqr and Spy Car.

A few people on here thought I was a man for a while, including pqr (or was it Ray? Or both?). Maybe If I had used this snazzy Galois picture earlier as my avatar, I would have improved my social standing. In my younger years, I used a picture of a young woman of a different ethnic group as my avatar, and everyone assumed that was a drawing of me and defered to me and expected me to post as a person of that background. It was really bizarre. It sometimes seems like women defer to men as experts, whether they are or not.

Anyway I am so indebted to the people on here who have been so kind as to create and share resources, share their thoughts, and share their wisdom.

:lol: at LOST. Love that show - except the ending.

I found that pic online several years ago, don't remember where. I think of it as light pouring from a broken vessel. Reminds me that God can use me even though I'm broken, scarred, messed up. And sometimes when I get my own stupid self out of the way, He does. :D

That I will remember. Great word picture.

re: LOST, me too. I erased my dvr which contained every episode because I was so disgusted with the cop out ending.

I should find it again and make it my avatar. Then maybe people will remember me. :D

In crowd? Me?

*looks around nervously*

I've never been accused of that before...I don't know if I should start in on a speach, ala Sally Fields, "You like me! You really like me!" or apologize :lol:

I think Imp is the in crowd in its totality.

Yeah, people will definitely remember that. I think it would rival my parrot.

I have noticed that some of the ladies and men here know each other so well they can practically finish each other's sentences. It doesn't bother me. I enjoy it a lot. It makes me think of the Gilmore Girls. When I grow up, I want to be one of the Gilmore Girls. :tongue_smilie:

I understand how some people might feel left out, but I do not think anyone is not replying deliberately. I think the majority of people here not only to glean information, but also to share information and offer encouragement. I am very grateful for what I have learned, and for the friendships I have made thus far.

I don't have an avatar or a siggie, and I think makes it much harder to remember someone when you have to remember just the username. When someone mentions the username of someone with a memorable avatar (mrs. mungo, farrarwilliams, parrothead, mariann, karenciavo, pretty in pink, spycar, fourcatmom, hunter, ellie, heather in NC, etc.), I can see it in my mind.

I need to stop posting and get my avatar and siggie done! ;)

I have noticed that some of the ladies and men here know each other so well they can practically finish each other's sentences. It doesn't bother me. I enjoy it a lot. It makes me think of the Gilmore Girls. When I grow up, I want to be one of the Gilmore Girls. :tongue_smilie:

I understand how some people might feel left out, but I do not think anyone is not replying deliberately. I think the majority of people here not only to glean information, but also to share information and offer encouragement. I am very grateful for what I have learned, and for the friendships I have made thus far.

I don't have an avatar or a siggie, and I think makes it much harder to remember someone when you have to remember just the username. When someone mentions the username of someone with a memorable avatar (mrs. mungo, farrarwilliams, parrothead, mariann, karenciavo, pretty in pink, spycar, fourcatmom, hunter, ellie, heather in NC, etc.), I can see it in my mind.

I need to stop posting and get my avatar and siggie done! ;)

You definitely need an avatar -- get going on that! I always read your posts - something about your name, I guess - but an avatar would help.;)

If you're not part of the "in crowd", then yes, it is chilly here.

I do agree with this, but I find this is the case with most HS boards, so not any more so here than anywhere else. But don't worry---I've never been in the 'IN' crowd here, at SL or anywhere else IRL :001_huh: I just figure it's Gods plan for my life experience.

In crowd? Me?

*looks around nervously*

I've never been accused of that before...I don't know if I should start in on a speach, ala Sally Fields, "You like me! You really like me!" or apologize :lol:

Most definitely the Sally Fields speech. She rocks. :tongue_smilie:

I "know" you ladydusk :001_smile:

Wow! You really do ... you know I like all lower-cased, single word for my online name -- everyone feels the need to separate and/or capitalize my name LOL I'm happy to be "dawn" too :)

I'm glad to see you posting again :)

Click on someone's name and it magically pops up. Or if you add someone as a contact, you can add as a friend and then also can send to that person a request. I haven't figured out the point, though. Anyway I sent you one.

Whenever I see posts where people are complaining that the board isn't welcoming enough, I really don't get it. It's a message board, not a love fest. I know there are countless reasons that I don't respond to a post or thread and all of them have absolutely nothing to do with the poster themselves.

Anyway I am so indebted to the people on here who have been so kind as to create and share resources, share their thoughts, and share their wisdom.

That I will remember. Great word picture.

Aww, thanks.

I think I've posted more tonight than I ever have in one day.

Throughout this thread, there seems to be a negative connotation associated with the word “clique†to the point that members deny the existence of cliques. I am guessing that this negative response stems from the notoriously hateful exclusive behavior that can be a hallmark of junior high and high school cliques.

A clique is nothing more than a few people in a crowd who interact with each other with more frequency and intensity than they do with the other members of the crowd. Following that definition, yes, there are cliques here as there predictably would be on a large popular well-established forum. It is an inherent part of the dynamics of forum exchanges.

But what would the forum be without those super frequent posters who are willing or eager to be chatty and delve into great personal detail online? Probably much more milquetoast and slow moving. This board is a terrific resource for information on almost any topic and can be voyeuristic entertainment as well.

I personally do not find the forum either particularly chilly or eagerly receptive, but as another poster commented, I am not searching out warm and fuzzies on the internet. Nor am I willing to invest the time it takes to be a frequent regular poster. In real life and on the forum, primarily I am an intensely private Aspy-ish person who is not willing to reveal much in the way of personal information but sometimes lack diplomacy in posting style. There have often been times that I would like to reply to a post but pass because my children probably would not want me revealing their struggles even in relative anonymity. I continue to be surprised at what people are willing to share about themselves and others on a forum accessible to public.

However, if any poster finds the forum chilly, that is his or her perception and reality. The fact that others disagree does not change the poster's perception of her personal experience here. Whoever advised op that internet was not place to seek validation was spot on. Giving examples of cozy personable on and off board interactions only serves to make those who feel the chill feel only more alienated.

Try not to take it personally. My posts are often ignored too but that just happens in the onslaught. Honestly I do not always follow up to see if anyone responded to my posts. Also I have noticed that if you post very late at night or after stroke of midnight, you are more likely to be the final post on a thread. Interestingly I have had one poster chastise me for what I thought was earnestly polite advice on another poster's situation. You can never know all the history and the nuances of the interpersonal relationships between posters and their posses.

Original poster in original thread, you may have better luck meeting your needs by frequenting smaller private boards where a poster is less likely to get lost in the shuffle. As someone else here suggested, you could try posting more or how about outright asking if anyone would like to start a private message conversation or be a facebook friend? I am sorry that you have felt ignored here, and I hope that you are able to come up with a solution.