Menu

s/o No Reply At All---> Chilly Board?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're not part of the "in crowd", then yes, it is chilly here.

:iagree: I've totally gotten this impression. It truly seems like there is an "in crowd." Maybe I just don't post enough or don't care enough. I've gotten a lot of great input to questions I've asked so am thankful for these boards. :D

Can someone please define the "in crowd?"

This isn't the first time I have heard the term mentioned here, and I'm wondering who these elusive people are, and exactly how much kissing up I'd have to do to be one of them. :D Seriously, though, I don't understand the mentality that it's particularly cliquish here, and I'm very much wondering what I'm missing.

I don't find it to be at all chilly here, but I don't take it personally if a million people don't rush to respond to every one of my posts, so maybe it's all just a matter of personal impression.

I would really like more clarification about the popularity thing, though. :001_smile:

I've received PMs where I was informed that it involves enormous amounts of kissing up. :lol::lol::lol:

I think there are topics here that interest some folks and topics that interest others --there is some stuff that I wouldn't open if you paid me.....well, maybe if you paid me enough.;)

I would like one of the in-crowd to clarify the popularity thing....oh, and I do want to mention that the individual here who gets more freaking responses to anything he posts is SpyCar.;)

Edited by MariannNOVA

:iagree: I've totally gotten this impression. It truly seems like there is an "in crowd." Maybe I just don't post enough or don't care enough. I've gotten a lot of great input to questions I've asked so am thankful for these boards. :D

I am just tossing this out there:

By in-crowd, do we really mean: people who have high post counts and have figured out ways to be here basically 24/7?

There are people here who I know I will find here -- I have PMd and emailed and asked if they are gone for a day or two......their routine is to be here. Their JOB is to be here.

Is that what we mean by in-crowd? People who are here most of the time? Perhaps the clarification needs to start there.

You do? Wow, that's not how I see you at all :001_smile: Just goes to show, none of us really know how someone else perceives what's going on, and we'll all see/interpret the same "experience" a different way.

I learn so much being here!

Georgiana D: You are posting TOO much today -- someone is going to think you are in the in-crowd. Now, go make some phone calls.:lol::lol::lol:

I've received PMs where I was informed that it involves enormous amounts of kissing up.

I won't get to be in the in crowd since I refuse to kiss up to anyone. Well, maybe Negin, but she has lots of good healthy living knowledge that I'd love to have. :D

Edited by Parrothead

It could be a "more popular" thing because they (in-crowd) people tend to post more? It seems to me that many of "you" know each other well and have a history together. It isn't a big deal IMHO but I do get what is meant by the in-crowd and a slight chilly feeling. There is a person that seems super, super loved and no matter what she/he says they get smiles and happiness and I've been more than one time majorly offended by this person. But, again, no big deal!

I appreciate all of you. :001_smile:

Edited by LAmom
Changed appreciated to appreciate! Still do. :)

I won't get to be in the in crowd since I refuse to kiss up to anyone. Well, maybe Negrin, but she has lots of good healthy living knowledge that I'd love to have. :D

I get too sarcastic to properly kiss up to anyone properly. I start sucking up and next thing you know someone says something stupid and I have to respond and then get banned. No kissing up for me.

I won't get to be in the in crowd since I refuse to kiss up to anyone. Well, maybe Negrin, but she has lots of good healthy living knowledge that I'd love to have. :D

Psst! If you want to kiss up to her, it's NEGIN, not NE GRIN :D.

yes, she does. Maybe we can work up a schedule where we alternate kissing up days.:D

Well, I guess I would be considered a "newbie" just based on the count of posts (but I have been on here for years) that I have but I do feel like I know a lot of folks on here. I also don't think it is too chilly in here but sometimes I have noticed that if someone posts a problem/situation that sometimes the Hive gets into a tizzy and goes into a million different tangents.

I feel like I "know" a bunch of you guys even though you don't know me and believe me I don't feel like my feelings are hurt when I rarely start a thread and there might be 3-4 posts. Sometimes, my threads only need a couple of replies. I think, even at this late date, I would be upset if I started a thread and I came back and there would be 20 pages worth of replies.

Even though I am from Alabama, it seems like I pay attention to the Canadian folks. I love Audrey, Impish, and Swellmomma. Mrs. Mungo is awesome for having a Mike's in her hand in her pic. I could list about 10-15 people I "know" on here. And Meggie, I have paid attention to you also.

I don't post alot of replies because I am usually at work and take brief looks here and there and basically read. I rarely feel led to post an "I agree" or a "I am praying for you post". So, there's one person's take on the state of the board. It's not chilly and this board is what you make of it. Also, with alot of women on here, there are alot of misunderstandings based on tone or lack of tone. But I enjoy this place and I hope we all keep the conversations going.

Well, can you remind me what needed fixing?:tongue_smilie:

Your internet in a round about way.

No, I don't pay attention to dates and I realized I was a bit off after I posted that. I want credit for remembering that your 'net was down for a while.:D

It could be a "more popular" thing because they (in-crowd) people tend to post more? It seems to me that many of "you" know each other well and have a history together. It isn't a big deal IMHO but I do get what is meant by the in-crowd and a slight chilly feeling. There is a person that seems super, super loved and no matter what she/he says they get smiles and happiness and I've been more than one time majorly offended by this person. But, again, no big deal!

I appreciated all of you. :001_smile:

*phew* it's not me. Wait am I part of the in crowd? If I have to ask myself that I would think not. Do you agree with everything I say? Will you kiss up to me, you can be part of my in crowd :D

I get too sarcastic to properly kiss up to anyone properly. I start sucking up and next thing you know someone says something stupid and I have to respond and then get banned. No kissing up for me.

You have to be banned to be in the in crowd. That's how I'm totally sure I'm not. (although I was told recently that I seem the kind of person who should get banned, so maybe I'm on the cusp. :D)

Psst! If you want to kiss up to her, it's NEGIN, not NE GRIN :D.

Aw, crap. Off to fix the typo. Usually I catch them, but her name is going to be red-lined no matter how I type it. ;)

(I had to fix it twice since I took out the g and left the r. It should be properly fixed now. )

I can't speak to 'in', but I know I love Ibby and her 'Hey Girl' posts. She might be head cheerleader, but she's nice to everyone. :)

Pick a topic and a cute famous person, and she will make you smile.

I love reading what ibby and others put on the forum game thread -- ibby is a riot!:lol::lol::lol:

You have to be banned to be in the in crowd. That's how I'm totally sure I'm not. (although I was told recently that I seem the kind of person who should get banned, so maybe I'm on the cusp. :D)

ohhh skirting the line are you. you are turning to the dark side bwahaha

Nah, I've been banned and am still not part of the in crowd.

I have to say:

I am in awe of Ellie and Audrey. I am friends with many others, but Ellie and Audrey, well, if I have a pedestal, they are on it. They have such an air of authority about them.

They are the only ones who come to my mind right now. I'm sure there are others. I think that if I were in the presence of either one, I would be afraid to speak a word. Mrs. Mungo elicits that in me as well.:001_smile:

And AuntieM, but I can talk to her. And Pretty in Pink - b/c I love her avatar, and I love mycrazyhouse's avatar....and Danestress' avatar, and scarlet's former avatar, not the one now in the tarty red dress; and Colleen scares the bejesus out of me, but she's never here anymore, and I really like her. Oh, and Jean and justamouse and nono and jeanne in nj......never mind......I feel like spongebob...this was a bad idea.

Edited by MariannNOVA

never been banned. Someone wrote a response to me, though, a few years ago, and she was permanently banned. I have never been in the in-crowd.:tongue_smilie:

I have to say:

I am in awe of Ellie and Audrey. I am friends with many others, but Ellie and Audrey, well, if I have a pedestal, they are on it. They have such an air of authority about them.

They are the only ones who come to my mind right now. I'm sure there are others. I think that if I were in the presence of either one, I would be afraid to speak a word. Mrs. Mungo elicits that in me as well.:001_smile:

And AuntieM, but I can talk to her. And Pretty in Pink - b/c I love her avatar, and I love mycrazyhouse's avatar....and Danestress' avatar, and scarlet's former avatar, not the one now in the tarty red dress.

Aw, thanks! I was thinking of changing it. I'm growing bored of my own face.

I don't feel the board is chilly. I do, however, think that I have a terrible online persona. I am a quirky, OCD, people-pleasing introvert. Someone here once described themselves as an "acquired taste". I liked that, that's me. I have received so much help from these boards.

I post here a lot, but I often do feel insecure and like I'm left out. I don't know that I actually am though. I think it's just how I think.

I often think people don't like me, etc.

Oh, I just love you! You were someone who often replied to my earliest posts and made me feel included. I am always drawn to ya!

never been banned. Someone wrote a response to me, though, a few years ago, and she was permanently banned. I have never been in the in-crowd.:tongue_smilie:

You are a part of MY in crowd!!!

This may shock you but when I bought my Droid a couple of years back, I transferred your # onto it. I just figureD I'd delete it if I ever called you and you were n o longer there. :tongue_smilie::lol::lol::lol:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: you are a doll and I know that ypur response to Rivka was because you are unfortunately a very sweet woman who has been burned too many times. I hope you don't mind my saying that.

(Rivka, I understood where Mariann was coming from, but I also knew you meant no harm.)

You are a part of MY in crowd!!!

This may shock you but when I bought my Droid a couple of years back, I transferred your # onto it. I just figureD I'd delete it if I ever called you and you were n o longer there. :tongue_smilie::lol::lol::lol:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: you are a doll and I know that ypur response to Rivka was because you are unfortunately a very sweet woman who has been burned too many times. I hope you don't mind my saying that.

(Rivka, I understood where Mariann was coming from, but I also knew you meant no harm.)

Thank you -- I will pm you our new # -- you are on my christmas card list - i actually have your address.:001_smile:

Rivka clarified and it does make sense -- you know though, this is an internet bulletin board, it's going to be wonky no matter what.

gotta go - dinner and then i have to bake 40 cupcakes in 1000 degree wx.

What kind of present do you want?

Justamouse is sending me old copies of Mother Earth News. Want me to share?

Thank you for the kind offer. I am really not the Mother Earth News type, though. Is anyone sending you chocolate or booze? :lol:

....oh, and I do want to mention that the individual here who gets more freaking responses to anything he posts is SpyCar.;)

I've noticed that, just in general, the men on this board seem to wade right in and generate a lot of strong responses. Remember tntgoodwin's thread about Doug Wilson? And Larry Sanger's threads about, well, anything? And that's without even mentioning the WTM forum's matter-antimatter team of pqr and Spy Car.

Well see I think that is just you though. Meaning you perceive that people are purposefully leaving some in and others out. [...]

edited to add: oops I didn't focus on your "I'm comfortable here part." This isn't the first time you have mentioned the whole in-crowd thing though.

Isn't it? Huh. Oh! I remember, I said that I was too shy to approach you at Valley Forge because you were !!!WENDYK!!! and I was just me. ;) I am shy and socially anxious face-to-face, and much more comfortable with online interaction. As you can see by my post count.

So, is it as blazing hot in Baltimore as it is in Alexandria?:)

YES. Fortunately, we moved into a house with central air last fall, and I am wallowing in comfortable coolness. I shudder to remember what our old house (160-year-old brick rowhouse, no trees anywhere nearby, window units only) felt like on days like this.

Can someone please define the "in crowd?"

It's where you are. *mwah*

I recall that quote in a recent conversation. HHHHhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm.....

;):lol:

*innocent smile*

I appreciate all of you. :001_smile:

If you post often enough, chances are you're bound to offend someone pretty much at all times.

I can't speak to 'in', but I know I love Ibby and her 'Hey Girl' posts. She might be head cheerleader, but she's nice to everyone. :)

Pick a topic, and a famous person; she will make you smile. :)

Ibby rocks my socks.

You know...if I were wearing any, rather than going around barefoot all the time. :D

Honestly, if I changed my avatar, quit typing in bold, I'm willing to bet that many, MANY ppl wouldn't realize who the heck I am for a while...:lol:

I have to say:

You will not feel that way when you actually meet me. I am the least intimating, mysterious person, ever. I'm 5'1"! I have crazy frizzy hair! I laugh at everything. I was a band nerd. I am the opposite of intimidating, lol! There are a bunch of people who have met (or *know*) me IRL, they will tell you. ;)

I am not one for frivolous compliments....you are beautiful! seriously.

Aw, thanks. That means a whole lot, 'specially to a girl with no eyes!

i'm doing medifast and booze and chocolate are a no-no, otherwise I'd be buying and sending.:001_smile:

How do you like the MediFast? They're a local company and I was there at a health fair for the employees a couple weeks ago... kind of slow for us in the displays, because they have relatively no turnover, but they seem like a good company, and my crazy doc recommends their products, so I wonder what people who are using their stuff think.