Menu

What should we call non-homeschooled kids?

What do we call kids who go to a school somewhere else?  

1. 1. What do we call kids who go to a school somewhere else?

• brick and mortar schooled
    • out schooled
    • non-homeschooled
    • public or private schooled
    • not very bright
    • wards of the state
    • the competition

In my house, we call them outschooled. K came up with that about a year ago, and I really think it works because it covers those who attend public schools, private schools, charter schools (yes, I know they're public too), etc.

The buildings which hold them are called outschools, as in, "let's go to the outschool playground" on Saturdays.

My kids used the term "real school" a couple of times for a public school. Hello my dear children? What is it that we do here? Umm, we are just as real!:lol:

Roflol... I voted "public or private schooled", but we *do* use the term "real school" quite a bit around here. I have since I was a (home schooled) child! Yeah, it's pretty tongue-in-cheek... ;) But I find it sort of amusing. ;)

I'll also say "conventional school" or "traditional school" -- recognizing that I'm using those terms in a rather myopic (historically speaking) way.

I don't see a need to differentiate between the kids. Kids are kids, no matter where they learn. Why the need for a label?

I use it to explain to my dc when we will go on vacation - as soon as the outschoolers are back in their cells. ;)

Hmmm. We just call them "kids".

If it's relavant, we say "kids who go to school."

I don't see a need to differentiate between the kids. Kids are kids, no matter where they learn. Why the need for a label?

Oh, no, not to label them, per se. Just to refer to them. Like, "In our scout group we have a good mix of home schooled kids and puggles and pruggles. Everybody gets along famously."

Like that. :D

In special ed land we parents of special kids call the "regular" kids "neurotypical".

So why not coin a similar term for kids who do not homeschool: Edutypicals.

That makes a lot of sense, but I'd like to see homeschooling become more typical, and I think over the whole spectrum of history and geography it hasn't been that uncommon.

Public or private schooled, seems like it makes the most sense

I'd likely just say "kids in school" or, if I want to sound more formal, "kids who attend public school" or some such. I certainly wouldn't use a derogatory reference, as some have done in this thread. Just don't see the point in that.

Hmmm. We just call them "kids".

If it's relavant, we say "kids who go to school."

I'm with Suzanne. Maybe I don't like labels. Or maybe many of the options suggested in the poll seem derogatory.

Many of us here have kids we educate at home and kids in traditional school systems as well, whether those are public or private. If "The Hive Mind" wants to come up with a label, I suggest it not have negative connotations. JMHO.

I'm with Suzanne. Maybe I don't like labels. Or maybe many of the options suggested in the poll seem derogatory.

I put more options in the poll than I could then think of choices for, so I put a few tongue in cheek ones in. I didn't think anyone would actually choose those. And I myself have a kid who will be in public school next year.

I don't want to label them just so I always know who is educated where, but because sometimes it's relevant to the conversation. As in, our young friend M is the only pruggle in our group and he feels like the odd one out, or, I've got three homeschoolers and two pruggles, or, I'm a pruggle and I turned out all right, or, that contest is for pruggles only. It's just that "publicly or private schooled children" is such a long and ungraceful term to type.

But, that's what I'm saying. I would say, "In our Scout troup, we have a good mix of homeschoolers and kids who go to school."

I guess it just doesn't come up in my conversation. It took some thought to come up with "kids who go to school" because I usually don't have a need to differentiate. I'm still not sure, though, of the difference between the above scenario, and the old scenario which required language like, "In our Scout troup, we have a good mix of white children and colored chilidren." It wouldn't occur to me to say either sentence.

This is probably a bit harsh, but I really see any sort of differentiation as prejudice. What I mean is, when does it matter? We know that there are good and bad apples both in the homeschooling world and the institutional school world. Making comparisons or contrasts are always anecdotal. So, when are such statements, differentiating the children based on how they're being educated, necessary? And, what message are we teaching our children when we talk this way? It seems to me that any such statement could be taken as an insult. :o)

Feel free to ignore me. I'm not really looking for a debate. I'm just throwing out an alternative point of view.

Suzanne

I put a few tongue in cheek ones in. I didn't think anyone would actually choose those.

I got that, but given that those last three choices have garnered 15% of the votes, I kinda wonder if people are choosing those in earnest or what...

Or, maybe, puggles. Kinda like the muggles in Harry Potter.

:iagree: I LIVE PUGGLES!!!! Great idea!!

We usually call them non-homeschoolers, because we don't really know what they are, except that. But I think we are switching to Puggles, starting today :D

My husband and I refer to them as g-schoolers and the public school as the g-school. G meaning government.

We don't use it as a derogatory. It may come up in conversation such as "if we send the kids to the g-school they should be at grade level" or "no, our son can't go because Fire Safety Town is only for the g-schoolers."

:)

Welp, I was gonna say muggles :lol:

I grew up in a row home in Philly. We had a TON of kids in the neighborhood. You went to either the Catholic school or the Public school. We were known as the Catholics and the Publics ;)

But now we have public school, homeschool, Christian school, Catholic school kids in our neighborhood. I think we'll just start referring to the rest of them as _uggles. :D

Many of us here have kids we educate at home and kids in traditional school systems as well, whether those are public or private. If "The Hive Mind" wants to come up with a label, I suggest it not have negative connotations. JMHO.

I never thought of having a label or special term. I would just say kids who go to PS, I guess. We have lots of PS friends, probably more than HS friends. Never been a problem for us. I hope they aren't coming up with derogatory labels for my son based on where he schools.

Michelle T

I never thought of having a label or special term. I would just say kids who go to PS, I guess. We have lots of PS friends, probably more than HS friends. Never been a problem for us. I hope they aren't coming up with derogatory labels for my son based on where he schools.

Michelle T

I guess I look at it this way -- we call homeschoolers "homeschoolers." I think dragonsitfb was looking for a shorthand, easy way to consistently refer to "students not being schooled at home" for her OWN use. And some of us were being a little lighthearted.

My kids are either in boarding school or (in a month -- yikes!) public school, so I'm being lighthearted from the other side of fence with my laughing about "pruggles," "puggles," and "boarggles."

I like the term "traditionally schooled," but like Abbey, it does have an inherently myopic view.

I have to say that these choices really sting. I have read many things on this board about public school that I didn't let bother me. But that someone felt the need to refer to my kids as not so bright...

I refer to children who attend school as "school-children".

And I agree with Caroline that children ought not be disparaged based on where they receive their educations. I'm sure enough people here have been stung by comments about "home-schoolers" that there's an awareness that such comments are "hateful".

And what is hateful to us....?

Bill

But, that's what I'm saying. I would say, "In our Scout troup, we have a good mix of homeschoolers and kids who go to school."

I guess it just doesn't come up in my conversation. It took some thought to come up with "kids who go to school" because I usually don't have a need to differentiate. I'm still not sure, though, of the difference between the above scenario, and the old scenario which required language like, "In our Scout troup, we have a good mix of white children and colored chilidren." It wouldn't occur to me to say either sentence.

This is probably a bit harsh, but I really see any sort of differentiation as prejudice. What I mean is, when does it matter? We know that there are good and bad apples both in the homeschooling world and the institutional school world. Making comparisons or contrasts are always anecdotal. So, when are such statements, differentiating the children based on how they're being educated, necessary? And, what message are we teaching our children when we talk this way? It seems to me that any such statement could be taken as an insult. :o)

Feel free to ignore me. I'm not really looking for a debate. I'm just throwing out an alternative point of view.

Suzanne

LOL, no I know what you mean, but you know how sometimes on the board someone asks, "Should I find a boy scout troop that only has homeschoolers?" And sometimes you need to write, "Well, we have a good mix of homeschoolers and [this is what dragons in the flowerbed is trying to find, the word to fit here that she can adopt as her "word"], and they get along great!"

You just use it in conversation. It may be that she will adopt the words "kids who go to school" or something that simple. She is, I think, looking for simple. But just as an easy reference, because she hasn't put enough thought into a term and now maybe sees a need for a stand-by for her vocabulary. She isn't trying to find one for the board, or anything, just for herself. She's wondering what other people say when *they* refer to not-homeschooled- kids. What is our "default" term, in other words.

Does that make any sense at all?

I think I was being silly just because parts of the poll made me (as a no longer homeschooling parent) laugh.

Michelle T

I don't see it as really labeling. Just a way to describe how they are educated. Like my kids have friends who are homeschooled and friends who are public schooled. Like some people are tall and some are short. Just a way of describing them when the need arises. Such as "well the public schooled kids are out of school today."

I have to say that these choices really sting. I have read many things on this board about public school that I didn't let bother me. But that someone felt the need to refer to my kids as not so bright...

Well, I refer to our child who will be in public school, and our child who was in public school (and is now in college), as not so bright, AND I refer to our homeschooled kids as not so bright, and our kid who is too young for any kind of schooling . . . So it's equal opportunity with the insults around here.

That was a joke!

Frankly, I find it silly that anyone would be insulted by a need to differentiate between the homeschooled and the otherwise schooled. Should we give up the word homeschooled, too, so no one can discriminate against us?

It does come up in context an awful lot in my real life, as does race, socioeconomic class and s*xual orientation. If I gave up all of the words that define those things, how would I talk my way to workable solutions regarding the value differences that exist between myself (raised well off) and my partner (raised in generational poverty)? How would I know who to ask out? Can you really expect me to recognize someone I'm meeting at an airport if you are forbidden from describing his skin tone? It seems like you're making out words that describe differences as inherently evil, or at least only useful for bad purposes. But there are many different reasons to differentiate between the children of one educational system and the children of another, and they do not all involve negative discrimination or judgement.