Menu

IF you could choose the colors for your homeschool room.....

Halcyon

If you could choose the colors of your homeschool room...  

1. 1. If you could choose the colors of your homeschool room...

• bright playful orange
    • subdued, minty green
    • pale blue
    • sunshine-y yellow
    • other

what would you choose?

ETA: Let's assume I want something brights, friendly, approachable...furnishings will be mostly from IKEA, white laminate, a soft comfy couch, and either hardwood floors or a thick carpet.

Edited by Halcyon

Pale blue; calm, soothing, peaceful blue. I need that. I have 5 kids. There is one of me. I need peace...;)

:iagree: I voted for the peaceful blue, too. Yellow or orange would hype up my kids. They are quite loud and wound up at their normal baseline.

I painted mine sky blue. I love it. I have a cherry desk for myself and the school shelves are black. I have black and white pics of the kids to hang. It is also our front room....so it temds.to collect stuff, but being painted makes me feel like It Is not so cluttered;)

Ours is a bright sunshine yellow. We love it! Esp. on dreary days it makes it a bright spot in the house. I have the expedit shelves in my room and love them!!:001_smile:

ETA: I also have bright red curtains, a green table cloth over the table and white as my accent paint color. It's a very bright and cheery spot.

Edited by mom2koh

I chose other. I would do a good portion of one wall in chalkboard paint. The rest I would do a very subtle pink (because, IIRC, pink is supposed to be a very calming color. Orange makes you hungry. I don't remember what other colors do...).

Just looked up palladium blue....LOVE. GOing to look at the other colors you linked .

Here is Palladian blue in a blog post I love:

http://www.bowerpowerblog.com/2012/05/office-reveal/ scroll down. It is a very good representation of the color. This is THE best blue on earth! Sherwin Williams can match it, don't even bother at Lowes. I tried with Valspar and was TOTALLY peeved.

I would show you our play room or the kids which is this color, but that would not convince you at this time:lol:

A subdued robin's egg blue. Black and white. Punches of orange. :D

:lol::lol: You don't say.

Our classroom is currently a light latte color. It's nice, but it's almost too dark with all the stuff we have in here (small room). The walls are dark mahogany stain, white trim.

This summer I'm going to repaint in this color, although this shows a little darker than what I think it will look. It's Ballard Designs Fog Gray, it's on furniture, but I'll have Sherwin Williams color match it.

blue+grey.jpg

I love the blue you chose, it's very similar to my kitchen cabinets, which I adore.

Well, we did choose and I painted mine sunshine-y yellow. Our school room is in a walk-out basement, and even though we have two windows and a sliding glass door, I wanted to maximize the light feeling. It is a lovely, cheerful environment. Here is what it looks like when it is cleaned up! :lol:

This is the color we're going for, when we do finally paint our room. http://pinterest.com/pin/224757837623016055/

Unfortunately, the photo is NOT a good representation of the actual color. The color chip is very different, and I don't care for it at all.

Which means we're still trying to figure out an actual match for that particular color, lol.

I have always wanted a yellow room with dark hardwood floors. Since that is not looking like it is going to happen anytime soon, my next choice is a teal with white accents, bookshelves, furniture, etc.

I love orange, too. I love color.

This is the color we're going for, when we do finally paint our room. http://pinterest.com/pin/224757837623016055/

Unfortunately, the photo is NOT a good representation of the actual color. The color chip is very different, and I don't care for it at all.

Which means we're still trying to figure out an actual match for that particular color, lol.

Benjamin moore dill pickle, Wales green, Misted fern are beautiful greens up this alley! I have Wales in my open dining/kitchen. I think it needs to be somewhere wtih windows though

Well, we did choose and I painted mine sunshine-y yellow. Our school room is in a walk-out basement, and even though we have two windows and a sliding glass door, I wanted to maximize the light feeling. It is a lovely, cheerful environment. Here is what it looks like when it is cleaned up! :lol:

What a wonderful space! My ds would be enamored with this room - bright yellow is his favorite color :)

I just painted mine Benjamin Moore Sherwood green. More of a medium green. I already have a living room/dining room in a cheery yellow, and the room next to the schoolroom is a pale blue, so I was a bit limited in my options. The room also has a lot of stained wood so it is more a green/brown combination. I really like the green, though it is a bit different from what I would,usually pick.

I think we are a bit on the creative side in our house. My oldest dd decided to paint her bedroom a bright cheery yellow (pretty much goes with her personality, kid has lots of energy) and for our homeschooling room we painted it a pretty coral color. It is kind of in the middle of orange and pink, so still looks cheery, but not too bright. That room is one of my favorites in the house. We also put up white IKEA shelves and desks along with red IKEA chairs. Amazingly, the mix of red and coral go together well. We also hung curtains from IKEA that have a white background and then a bunch of different colors, so it breaks up the solid colors in the room a little. I can come back and post a picture later if anyone is interested in seeing our hs room.

I love yellow, and I once painted my bedroom a beautiful, muted shade of yellow that everyone complimented. It was cheerful, to wake up to. BUT you get really tired of it AND it's very hard to match anything to yellow.

So I voted for the blue. I think it's very wise to pick cheerful colors that mimic the outdoors (yellow or blue or even green.) Blue is easier to match with.

Also...people either LOVE yellow or they HATE yellow walls. I love them (if they are the right shade) but it's highly likely that one of your kids will not like it.

Drat! I just wrecked your poll with my iPad....touch screens are weird!

I went with pale minty green up to chair rail height....Skyish blue from chair rail ht. To ceiling and trimmed with phlox purple. It is fun, playful looking and I really love it. There are pics on my blog.

Faithe

Link: http://cheeriosinmysneakers.blogspot.com/2012/01/our-schoolroomre-done.html

Edited by Mommyfaithe

• 3 months later...

I got to choose my school room color. I chose a sunshine-y yellow. Dh wasn't sure about it until he saw how it brightened up the no-windows-basement. If we had outside light, I might have picked a soft blue. No windows = must be bright & cheery. That's yellow for me.

I picked a pretty blue (can get you the name if you like) with the birch Ikea furniture and nice carpet. My blinds weren't open, but it is nice and bright in there when I do. For my craft room, I picked a pretty lavender with the white Ikea furniture and hard wood. I have boys though so didn't do the lavender in the school room (it's my only girlie color room). I might have if I had had girls :-).

post-14526-13535087508056_thumb.jpg

post-14526-13535087508454_thumb.jpg

I voted other because you didn't specify what the colour was for. Is it the primary paint colour, the furnishing, the accents? If it's paint, I'd go neutral and use colour for the accents, but that's because I'm fickle and constantly changing my mind.

I just painted our homeschool room, office which was the old dining room and joins all the other rooms on the main floor. It's grey and I'm accenting it with orange and blue. I choose the colours to go with the other colours in my house.