Menu

A/C rant

It's ludicrous that I need to wear a jacket in the summer at work. Why does the air conditioning have to be set so low everywhere I go? :cursing:

I grew up in Florida. It was colder there inside people's homes, in churches, and in business than anyplace I have ever lived.

LOL I agree! Dh and I have a silent battle with the A/C every year. The control is by the bathroom door so we quietly switch it to the temp we want it, whenever we walk by. For some reason, he likes it 71* in the winter with the heater and 68* with the A/C in the summer. Why? Why would a colder temp be the optimal temp, just because it is a different time of year?

My work, has corporate offices in Phoenix, we are in Washington. They decide when our a/c gets turned off and on (despite local weather). They keep our store so cold in the summer, that people wear coats to come into the store and I wear wool socks....even in August. LOL

I once confronted a manager at work about why the thermostat had to be set below 70 F. It was 98 degrees outside and I was wearing sweaters in the office because it ended up being 63 in there due to the uneven distribution of the HVAC system. So many offices were so cold that they had to ban space heaters due to the electrical surges they were causing. In trying to keep the entire building always below 70, some parts of it were just too cold. He said they could not let any part of it go above 70, because "men start to stink above 70 degrees". The words of a male manager, not my words. :001_huh:

LOL I agree! Dh and I have a silent battle with the A/C every year. The control is by the bathroom door so we quietly switch it to the temp we want it, whenever we walk by. For some reason, he likes it 71* in the winter with the heater and 68* with the A/C in the summer. Why? Why would a colder temp be the optimal temp, just because it is a different time of year?

Exactly! It makes no sense at all that the temp is set lower when people aren't dressed as warmly.

I have no sympathy for people who complain about the unbearable heat of summer. Just stay inside! Or go to Hobby Lobby. I swear if their sprinkler system ever came on, snow would come out. :tongue_smilie:

My DH travels a lot, and when he's gone I bump our A/C up and then freeze when he comes home. I guess I need to just stock up on cute cardigans.

I have the same problem with freezing in indoor public places all summer long. But I have to admit that at the moment, that doesn't sound so bad. My husband still hasn't gotten our swamp cooler running yet this year, and he just left for a vacation, while my sick daughter and my sick self are stuck at home in 95 degree weather with nothing but a fan. :cursing:

I guess my only recourse will be to go shopping during the hottest part of the day. :tongue_smilie: He may come to realize that it would have been cheaper to just hire someone to install the darn swamp cooler!

When I was first pregnant, the truth of the pregnancy finally sunk in when I realized I was warm at work. Up till then, being pregnant seemed like a dream. But being warm at work? When my male co-workers were cold? Oh, yeah! Now I know I'm pregnant.

Well from another perspective, I don't understand why people need a sweater for 60' temps.:001_huh:

Anything above 55' is considered shorts, tshirt and flip flop weather in my house.

No way I would ever consider anything between 55' and 69' cold.

However, we frequently sweat if it is above 75'

:iagree: I have never understood why in the summer people cool the air to a temp that is significantly lower than the temp they warm it to in the winter. If stores kept it below 65 degrees in the winter, people would complain and the heat would be turned up. I dread going in and out of air conditioned places because it makes me wheeze.

I also get frustrated because the same people who complain the second it gets cold enough to snow also complain as soon as it gets warm enough to swim.

Well from another perspective, I don't understand why people need a sweater for 60' temps.:001_huh:

Anything above 55' is considered shorts, tshirt and flip flop weather in my house.

If I am up and moving around, I am fine in those temperatures. But at work, when I was inside, I was sitting down to work at a desk and computer and not moving around much, and had the AC from the vent blowing on me the whole time, so that made me (and others) really cold. Sometimes I couldn't concentrate in the office because it was too cold. It felt like the cold section of the grocery store.

:glare:

Yep, I hear you! I am currently running a space heater in my office...our suite is SO disproportionately temperature controlled though. If I walk to some one's office in the back of the suite, it's roasting. I've learned not to fight it, and just run my heater whenever I need to. Movie theaters are another place I freeze to death! Grrrrrr.

~coffee~

Edited by CupOCoffee

These posts all make me chuckle. We moved to Alaska last year and when people hear that we moved from Hawaii they always express some form of dismay or pity. I always tell them that Alaska is my reward for putting up with hawaii for 4 years.

Last summer it was warm enough to run a fan in the window for a few days. But, we don't even have AC and I'm rarely too warm. Ah, how I love living in a place where the daily high is in the 60's.

Most of my kids, on the other hand, are a bunch of swamp blossoms, wilting at the slightest hit of chill. So, while I can't personally relate to the idea that an AC ever makes it too cold (there is no such thing in my book) I can sympathize with the swamp blossoms of the world. So, bring a sweater to wear if you come and visit but I can promise a nice cup of tea to warm you up.

I used to get weird looks when I carried a sweater around with me...in Yuma, AZ...in July but I could not handle the drastic temp changes going into businesses, especially restaurants.

Now, I always make sure to have sweaters in the vehicle for all of us in CA and they have come in handy several times already. It hasn't even been hot enough for a/c yet IMO, but a lot of businesses have had them going for a month already.

This topic is near and dear to my heart. At my work, I'm the guy who is responsible for trying to keep everyone happy in this respect.

One of the biggest issues that causes these problems is that not everyone likes the same temperature. Generally it's a male/female thing but not always.

In our buildings, we have both "cubicle farms" and offices. Generally, when you have a bunch of people seated in cubicle formation, it's a losing battle to find a temperature setting that pleases everyone. We generally lean toward the cool side during both cooling and heating seasons.

Personally, my cubicle is just around the corner from a young lady who likes the temperature 5 - 10 degrees higher than most of the men, including me, in the area do. Most of the other women in that area like it somewhere between those extremes. Right now, the thermostat for this area is set at 74 degrees I believe.

With respect to HVAC, the offices in our buildings are generally arranged in clusters of 3 or 4. One of the offices in the cluster will have a thermostat, which controls the temperature in that office. The other offices in the cluster are just along for the ride. If the thermostat owner likes it cold and doesn't make concessions to the others, they all get cold.

At the extreme, there are people who just unreasonable. I have one lady who complains about the temperature under her desk. She's in an office cluster, but doesn't have the thermostat. The thermostat owner has been very understanding. We've adjusted the setting several times. I haven't heard a complaint for a week or two, so we may have satisfied her.

I have the opposite problem. I feel constantly hot.

This is my dh. We keep our house set at 72 (in coastal SC) and he can actually sweat quite easily just sitting on the couch or walking from downstairs to upstairs. He has been known to not buy things in a store if it is uncomfortably hot, he says that he doesn't want to be looking at clothes while dripping sweat. I have to agree in that regard because it's just so uncomfortable to be shopping or eating and you are sweating and uncomfortable.

Gah, this drives me NUTS. In fact I resisted A/C at home for YEARS because I can't stand the extreme cold in so many businesses in winter. How on earth are people supposed to ADJUST to summer temps? I feel bad for the folks working in those places... The body is meant to adjust to seasonal temperatures. If you spend enough time in warm weather you will tolerate it better! But if you spend all day in an office cooled to 55 degrees (one of my former offices was at LEAST this cold) then 80 degrees outside is going to feel like a furnace.

I can understand the need for A/C to take the edge off in truly uncomfortable temps, but it is SO overused.

:iagree:I cannot tolerate heat AT ALL. I just can't. It makes me feel weird and I hate to sit somewhere or go grocering shopping while I sweat. Pregnancy was a nightmare to me. It is alot easier for someone to put on a sweater than it is for me to take off my clothes to cool down. I have actually passed out in public places that have their heat too high.

:iagree: I have never understood why in the summer people cool the air to a temp that is significantly lower than the temp they warm it to in the winter. If stores kept it below 65 degrees in the winter, people would complain and the heat would be turned up. I dread going in and out of air conditioned places because it makes me wheeze.

I also get frustrated because the same people who complain the second it gets cold enough to snow also complain as soon as it gets warm enough to swim.

:iagree: I get the weird looks for carrying around a cardigan in summer, but at least I can be comfortable inside.

I used to be one of the 'oh it's too cold' people when it came to summer ac. However, let me say that perimenopause has caused me to have more of an appreciation of places that crank up the ac. I'm planning to spend the summer in the coldest place I can find, since I don't have ac at home!

Gah, this drives me NUTS. In fact I resisted A/C at home for YEARS because I can't stand the extreme cold in so many businesses in winter. How on earth are people supposed to ADJUST to summer temps? I feel bad for the folks working in those places... The body is meant to adjust to seasonal temperatures. If you spend enough time in warm weather you will tolerate it better! But if you spend all day in an office cooled to 55 degrees (one of my former offices was at LEAST this cold) then 80 degrees outside is going to feel like a furnace.

I can understand the need for A/C to take the edge off in truly uncomfortable temps, but it is SO overused.

I can give you one reason for AC in the home. If your home was built by a northerner in Central Florida!! Our house would be great up North, but is only comfortable with AC in FL. It is situated so that most of the windows are N/S facing while the prevailing breezes are E/W. The blowers for the AC are in the floor, heat rises. So the floor is cold and the top half of the room is hot!! I can go on, but those are the worst problems.

I can give you one reason for AC in the home. If your home was built by a northerner in Central Florida!! Our house would be great up North, but is only comfortable with AC in FL. It is situated so that most of the windows are N/S facing while the prevailing breezes are E/W. The blowers for the AC are in the floor, heat rises. So the floor is cold and the top half of the room is hot!! I can go on, but those are the worst problems.

This is a good point. I'm in the South and pretty much since A/C became standard in new homes, there is absolutely no thought when building about making the house efficient to cool without A/C. The layout and design of new construction for the past 30-40 years around here makes using A/C pretty necessary in the type of heat and humidity we get during the summer.

Oh, I also can't stand heat, so I do understand why one would have AC in the home, especially in a hot climate! I live in a cold climate (upstate NY) and AC is pretty non-essential here, though we do have a window unit now for the bedroom for those few weeks where it is hot at night. If I lived in FL I'd need AC for sure. But I'd keep it set a lot warmer than a lot of businesses do!!

It's ludicrous that I need to wear a jacket in the summer at work and when I go into pretty much any place of business. Why does the air conditioning have to be set so low everywhere I go? :cursing:

Oh, I hear you! I wear my leather winter coat to Sunday School, and still shiver ... I'm threatening to carry a blanket next week!