Menu

Middle schhol to boy: Shave your head or get suspended

That's some great artwork!

And what a stupid thing for the school to suspend a public school kid for.

I bet he gets more flack and disruption for skinning his head than for this hair cut.

:iagree: That is truly amazing.

Maybe they're unaware how fast hair grows? Because, really, in a couple weeks he would just have it neatened up from growing out and it would be perfectly regular again.

I'm curious about the "we thought he had permission" comment. The concept of distracting hair styles and clothing has long been an element of school codes of conduct.

I thought that was interesting also.

We had people get in trouble for clothing at my public school (too revealing or inappropriate art/language), but we had no rules about your body. I had bright purple hair, my boyfriend had a large colorful mohawk and many piercings and nobody ever would have said anything. I can't imagine that this boy's hair was any more distracting than that.

I think it's petty, but it seems pretty clear that it goes against dress code. I know for the schools here it would be--no crazy colors, mohawks, outlandish cuts, etc. There's a positive rash of crazy hair among some of the kids at church each year once school is out for the summer! So if this school has a similar policy in place, it wouldn't be fair to give this kid a pass when everyone else has to play by the rules.

It's too bad, though--that's some amazing artwork!

Yes, things that are distracting to the educational process are clearly not allowed, but according to the Supreme Court, children don't check their right to self-expression at the school gate and there has to be a balance. After the first day, this wouldn't be distracting. It's a completely still, unchanging, quiet picture. Any teacher who can't control the class from being distracted by that after the initial sighting clearly has bigger issues with classroom management than this poor kid's haircut.

. . . I think the schools admin needs a :chillpill:.

sheesh.

(and yeah, whomever wielded that razor for the artwork has a talented hand. it will. grow. out.)

eta: and if they think they are telling him to shave his head to "save him from trouble", maybe they should allow him to find out firsthand if it will cause him trouble. too much saving children (and adults) from the consequences of their own choices.

Yes, things that are distracting to the educational process are clearly not allowed, but according to the Supreme Court, children don't check their right to self-expression at the school gate and there has to be a balance. After the first day, this wouldn't be distracting. It's a completely still, unchanging, quiet picture. Any teacher who can't control the class from being distracted by that after the initial sighting clearly has bigger issues with classroom management than this poor kid's haircut.

:iagree:

I think it's petty, but it seems pretty clear that it goes against dress code. I know for the schools here it would be--no crazy colors, mohawks, outlandish cuts, etc. There's a positive rash of crazy hair among some of the kids at church each year once school is out for the summer! So if this school has a similar policy in place, it wouldn't be fair to give this kid a pass when everyone else has to play by the rules.

It's too bad, though--that's some amazing artwork!

:iagree: The school has rules on hair and dress. He knew that. He went ahead and had the haircut done. Why is it that so many of you apparently think rules don't have to be followed?

:iagree: The school has rules on hair and dress. He knew that. He went ahead and had the haircut done. Why is it that so many of you apparently think rules don't have to be followed?

Because some rules are just stupid.

And bc I wouldn't think it was against the hair code. I've seen lots of way more hideous stuff shaved into heads. It's not that big a deal. In fact, a boy walking around completely shaved would get a lot more attention and speculation.

Because some rules are just stupid.

And bc I wouldn't think it was against the hair code. I've seen lots of way more hideous stuff shaved into heads. It's not that big a deal. In fact, a boy walking around completely shaved would get a lot more attention and speculation.

It is stupid. But that's the rule, and if you go to the school, you either follow the rule or face the consequences, same as all the other inane rules many public schools come up with. Like I said before, in the schools here, pretty much anything out of the ordinary would fall under a similar rule. This cut is definitely out of the ordinary and I'm pretty sure it would qualify here for similar treatment. Although the high school administration figured out this year that facial hair on guys wasn't really worth the fight. Since they quit making the guys shave, there have been a few scruffy looking faces, but amazingly enough, the world didn't end. So maybe there's hope after all! :tongue_smilie:

Hair freedom -- just another reason to homeschool! :D

I don't think it's a stupid rule, but even if I did, I wouldn't encourage, or support my child if he wanted to break the rules. The kid and his family need to stop whining and accept the consequences. You speed, you get a ticket. You don't want to wear a seat belt, get a ticket. Whether or not we agree w/ rules, they are in place for a reason, and there are consequences. You don't want to follow them, then don't. But don't go whining about having to pay the price.

It is stupid. But that's the rule, and if you go to the school, you either follow the rule or face the consequences, same as all the other inane rules many public schools come up with. Like I said before, in the schools here, pretty much anything out of the ordinary would fall under a similar rule. This cut is definitely out of the ordinary and I'm pretty sure it would qualify here for similar treatment. Although the high school administration figured out this year that facial hair on guys wasn't really worth the fight. Since they quit making the guys shave, there have been a few scruffy looking faces, but amazingly enough, the world didn't end. So maybe there's hope after all! :tongue_smilie:

Hair freedom -- just another reason to homeschool! :D

Somebody should put that in their siggy! :D

Well, I think it's a stupid rule, but if the kid knew the rule then he needs to follow it. I went to school in the eighties and early nineties. Kids came to school with all kinds of crazy hair dos. As someone else pointed out it might've generated a bit of a buzz, but I guess most of the teachers I had in school managed to gain order and control in thier classrooms without need of a bunch of silly rules.

. . . I think the schools admin needs a :chillpill:.

sheesh.

(and yeah, whomever wielded that razor for the artwork has a talented hand. it will. grow. out.)

I think arguing with him about this is distracting the school admin from their actual job.

Unless lewd or profane or illegal, I don't see why kids can't just wear what they want to a non-uniform school. Even at a uniform school, I don't think a student's hair should be an issue, barring shaving racial slurs or swear words into your hair. As for it being the rule, I don't support subjective or arbitrary rules for student dress. No shirts without sleeves or no shirts with ads for adult products like cigarettes and beer are not subjective. Skirts need to be no more than 2 inches above the knee is not subjective. You must wear navy slacks is not subjective. Your hair can't be "distracting"? Who decides and why should they get to?

Edited by kijipt

Im a massive Spurs fan and i love the Red Rocket but yes that would be distracting

Nah. There's no way this would actually impede learning in the classroom. For it to constitute a real distraction from the educational process, the kids behind him would have to keep staring, unable to pull their eyes away to focus on the lesson being taught; the supposition that this would happen is ridiculous.

Nah. There's no way this would actually impede learning in the classroom. For it to constitute a real distraction from the educational process, the kids behind him would have to keep staring, unable to pull their eyes away to focus on the lesson being taught; the supposition that this would happen is ridiculous.

Exactly.

That's creepy, but definitely took talent. Honestly, by the time this gets resolved and the brouhaha settles down, his hair will have grown out a little and the face will be obscured anyway. My daughter shaved a little too close - okay, a lot too close - it was to the skin - on the front of one of her brother's hair because he moved suddenly while she was cutting his hair. It took maybe 10 days before his hair was growing back in and within 3 weeks you had to look closely to see where the shaved spot was. However, schools have the right to make and enforce dress codes and I can see where hair like that violates the dress code.

I don't think it's a stupid rule, but even if I did, I wouldn't encourage, or support my child if he wanted to break the rules. The kid and his family need to stop whining and accept the consequences. You speed, you get a ticket. You don't want to wear a seat belt, get a ticket. Whether or not we agree w/ rules, they are in place for a reason, and there are consequences. You don't want to follow them, then don't. But don't go whining about having to pay the price.

But they can go whine and get all this media attention! Isn't that what it is about in the real world?

I agree with the basketball player-put the kid in the back row and no one will care after a few minutes. Of course, I feel the same thing about most hairstyles. If anything, I'd rather see kids play with their hair in radical ways than get body piercings or tattoos, because hair grows. The kid with the moehawk at age 17 can easily be the conservative banker after graduating from college at age 22.

I can't c&p the text on the iPad, but the only relevant one would be "extreme Hairstyles and/or coloring cannot be a distraction to the educational process."

So what about a blonde in a school full of brunettes? A natural redhead? A dark skinned or Asian person with obviously dyed blond hair? How about a waist length braid?

The mother was under the impression this was allowed, anyway.

So what about a blonde in a school full of brunettes? A natural redhead? A dark skinned or Asian person with obviously dyed blond hair? How about a waist length braid?

The kid IS a redhead. :lol:

I was thinking his particular shade of red was kind of extreme. I think I'd be distracted by how bright and shiny it is.

He actually hasn't violated the dress code by the wording of the rule, unless they can show that his haircut is actually a "distraction to the educational process". It's not enough for them to raise the specter of a possible distraction.

He actually hasn't violated the dress code by the wording of the rule, unless they can show that his haircut is actually a "distraction to the educational process". It's not enough for them to raise the specter of a possible distraction.

ITA. IDK if it was in the article I linked because I read several looking for one with pictures, but it was his first period teacher who took him to the principal within the first few minutes of class. I don't think there was enough time to determine if it was a "distraction to the educational process."

And I don't think that article stated, he DID shave his head to go to school the next day. And the basketball player gave him free tickets to the game that night.

For that matter, what about a shaved head? I know at the schools where I taught, that generally wouldn't have been allowed either, unless it was done in support of someone going through chemotherapy (we had one year where a large percentage of our boys had shaved heads for that reason-although I doubt many of the 6th graders even knew who the 3rd grader was, and more of the older kids did it than the younger ones).

I admit, what came to mind was this. (Kind of a cute book, less intense than most tween fare).

5189TNAWR6L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The article did say she asked first and she thought she had permission. So, I wondered if she asked the wrong person or ??????

Anyway....I did some googling. I found a rather lengthy article (on a different device, so I can't currently link, but it wasn't hard to find if anyone is really interested) on how first amendment rights apply to public school students. They don't check their rights at the door....but there the rules are different depending on a LOT of differences. One court case goes one way because of very specific reasons and the next case goes another because of one specific difference.

The rights as applied to hairstyle is very debated and depends where you live. Some circuit courts have interpreted that hairstyle is protected and some have interpreted that schools can regulate. The article did list which specific courts had ruled which way. It was a very interesting article, which listed specific court cases and covered everything from student publications to uniforms to a student holding up a controversial, but not vulgar, sign at a function that school had been cancelled for. A principal made the student remove the sign and a court case ensued.

I'll see if I can find it again and link.

ETA: Here's an abbreviated article that says the same things.

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/faq/frequently-asked-questions-speech

Edited by snickelfritz

The article did say she asked first and she thought she had permission. So, I wondered if she asked the wrong person or ??????

Anyway....I did some googling. I found a rather lengthy article (on a different device, so I can't currently link, but it wasn't hard to find if anyone is really interested) on how first amendment rights apply to public school students. They don't check their rights at the door....but there the rules are different depending on a LOT of differences. One court case goes one way because of very specific reasons and the next case goes another because of one specific difference.

The rights as applied to hairstyle is very debated and depends where you live. Some circuit courts have interpreted that hairstyle is protected and some have interpreted that schools can regulate. The article did list which specific courts had ruled which way. It was a very interesting article, which listed specific court cases and covered everything from student publications to uniforms to a student holding up a controversial, but not vulgar, sign at a function that school had been cancelled for. A principal made the student remove the sign and a court case ensued.

I'll see if I can find it again and link.

Sounds interesting, I hope you find it!

Yes... I did my master's research on the educational context and impact of student rights. IIRC, haircuts are indeed not necessarily protected depending on the ruling and the circuit. However, this is such a clear case when the haircut is expression. It's literally a picture.

Agreed with others who say that some rules are dumb. I can't stand the follow this rule because it's a rule argument. There has to be a deeper reason behind the rule to justify it. In a free society, we're all called upon to question whether rules and laws are just. Sometimes, we follow dumb rules and laws because we've decided it's not worth it to fight them. However, I think that's a personal decision everyone gets to make. If the family wanted to fight it, even thought it's "just" a haircut, then more power to them.

okay you know what it is a stupid rule. However, i pay more attention to someone who advocates changing the rule and is actually following the rule he hates rather than the kid in trouble then try to turn his troubles into "Well this law sucks!". I have no respect for people who knowingly break the rules and then while they are gettng in trouble say that the rules are stupid.

Yes, he should follow the rules. Yes, the school is overreacting. I'm surprised no one thought to have him put on a hat. It seems like they all are making a big deal where there didn't need to be one.

Hats ARE against the dress code.

okay you know what it is a stupid rule. However, i pay more attention to someone who advocates changing the rule and is actually following the rule he hates rather than the kid in trouble then try to turn his troubles into "Well this law sucks!". I have no respect for people who knowingly break the rules and then while they are gettng in trouble say that the rules are stupid.

his mother went to the front office and thought she obtained permission prior to the haircut. The boy shaved his head and returned to school the next day. I don't think that's at all what happened here.

That IS an interesting read. It seems to me that it meets the Tinker standard to be protected. But, as noted in the following section, different circuits have interpreted the hair issue differently:

May a school constitutionally punish students for wearing long hair or dying their hair an unusual color?

The courts are much divided on this issue. The First, Second, Fourth, Seventh, and Eighth Circuits seem receptive to students' claims regarding personal choice with respect to their hair. However, the Third, Fifth, Sixth, Ninth, and Tenth Circuits seem unreceptive.

Most of the cases in which lawsuits have been brought against schools have involved hair length (especially sideburns in the 1970s) and earrings. Many of the student hair cases today deal not with length but color. For example, a high school student from Virginia sued his school district in federal court after school officials suspended him for having blue hair. A federal judge reinstated the student, finding a violation of his constitutional rights.

Generally speaking, the courts that have found a constitutional issue have ruled along similar lines, claiming that a student's choice of hair color and style raises either a First Amendment free expression issue or a 14th Amendment liberty or equal protection interest. Some courts have even pointed out that regulating a student's choice of hairstyle impacts with greater permanence than regulating a student's dress because, unlike with hairstyle or color, the student can wear what he pleases outside school. Conversely, the courts that have sided with school districts have generally ruled that the students' wearing of long hair "does not rise to the dignity of a protectable constitutional issue."

Some courts have upheld grooming regulations for students who wish to participate in extracurricular activities, including athletics. The 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, for example, justified a school's grooming regulations as a "reasonable means of furthering the school board's undeniable interest in teaching hygiene, instilling discipline, asserting authority and compelling uniformity."

In sum, different courts have come to different legal conclusions, leaving this a muddled area of the law. As a result, students' rights in this regard largely depend on where they live.

Agreed with others who say that some rules are dumb. I can't stand the follow this rule because it's a rule argument. There has to be a deeper reason behind the rule to justify it. In a free society, we're all called upon to question whether rules and laws are just. Sometimes, we follow dumb rules and laws because we've decided it's not worth it to fight them. However, I think that's a personal decision everyone gets to make. If the family wanted to fight it, even thought it's "just" a haircut, then more power to them.

I am in total agreement with school dress codes for several reasons. I think that students ought to learn to dress appropriately for their environment. School is equivent to their job and it should be a place without extemes, IMHO. The job of the student is to learn, not make a personal statement. Grown-ups have jobs where this type of haircut might get them fired. I think there has been a huge decline in "appropriate dress" in our culture in many arenas and it saddens me. I think how you dress in certain situations conveys respect, and our culture has moved far away from demonstrating respect in favor of "person freedom". I am not advocating giving up freedoms at all, just that I appreciate a person who chooses to forego their own personal preferences out of respect when the situation warrants it. To give an example, I don't think my DH would choose to wear slacks and a dress shirt every day, but he respects the wishes of his employer and wants to keep his job, so he does so. I think school is a good place to start learning these type of standards. The students can wear what try want outside of school hours.

Additionally, school dress codes provide a bit of "screening" as it provides a way to identify individuals that do not belong on campus. Not saying every stranger that tried to enter campus would be in violation, but in the case of gang activity, they often would. I know a school district just outside Houston that ha a very strict dress code (shirts with collars and tucked in, no images on clothing, no shorts/skirts above the knee, pants must be worn with a belt, boys' hair above the collar, single piercing in ear lobs only, etc.) for this very reason. The school in question is in one of the largest districts in San Antonio, IIRC.

I am also of the camp that if a person disagrees with the rule, they should work within the system to change it, not just willfully disregard it then whine when there are consequences. I am honestly surprised by the number of people that feel they should only have to follow the rules they agree with!

I know my opinion may not be popular which is fine. I am also a former public high school teacher and I can see how allowing one hair cut could snowball very quickly. Kids tend to jump on the bandwagon if they feel like they are getting away with something and it very well would disrupt the learning environment.

Additionally, school dress codes provide a bit of "screening" as it provides a way to identify individuals that do not belong on campus. Not saying every stranger that tried to enter campus would be in violation, but in the case of gang activity, they often would.

On the other hand, one of the best ways to get into places you don't belong, for nefarious reasons, according to articles I've read by reformed criminals, is to wear a uniform and act like you belong. ;)