Menu

Looking for a "gentle giant" type of dog

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to recommend the same thing. We have two labs, both totally harmless, one yellow, one black. The yellow is the bigger of the two. My black lab stops folks dead in their tracks (or better yet sends them retreating) ALL THE TIME.

I never would have guessed! I just think of labs as such big lovable dogs that no one could be the least bit frightened of them. But maybe people just see "big black dog" and they think of Dobermans and Rotties?

The only "bad" thing I have heard about Dobies is that they can have a tendency to overeat and bloat themselves. Also, they can be, umm, gassy. ;) Probably both would be minor inconveniences to you, but something to think about. They have "don't mess with me" look to them for sure, though.:001_smile:

A GS/lab or GS/Collie cross would be my pick. I don't go for pure-bred dogs for the most part, unless I could get one from Astrid. ;) A GS cross would get you the bulk and intimidation factor, along with the more even temperament, and minus the hip dysplasia problems that plague so many pure-bred GS dogs.

Hybrids and mutts are definite possibilities. It would be my preference to adopt a dog, so if the shelter has a "GS mix" or a "Doberman mix" or something, those would definitely be considered.

The only "bad" thing I have heard about Dobies is that they can have a tendency to overeat and bloat themselves. Also, they can be, umm, gassy. ;) Probably both would be minor inconveniences to you, but something to think about. They have "don't mess with me" look to them for sure, though.:001_smile:

Are there dogs that won't overeat? :D I've never owned such an animal!

If you feed them really good quality food, does that help with the flatulence issue? I'm very open to the possibility of a "raw meaty bones" type of diet.

ETA: The bloat possibility does concern me, though. I've read that raw diets and smaller more frequent meals are better for this. Any other advice?

GS mixes and other 'mixes' are just as prone to cancers and hip problems as pure breds. In other words mutts are not 'healthier' than pure breds.

We love our rescue dogs-- if you can find a rescue puppy who has had proper socialization then you have great potential. Most rescue dogs (even puppies) will have some issues. Good training makes a difference-- but many issues are life-long.

No on the Great Dane's lifespan. Awesome dogs. Gentle, couch potatoes. The sheer size freaks people out. Their life span is more around 10 years. We've had 3. Great with children, but I wouldn't buy any from anyone except through a Great Dane club. The backyard breeders will have that dog bred to live 5 years.

I don't go for pure-bred dogs for the most part, unless I could get one from Astrid. ;)

:001_smile::001_smile:, Thanks Audrey! :001_smile::001_smile:

Rhodesian Ridgeback. It's a very short-coated sighthound, big and intimidating but quite sweet. Bred to live in hot, arid country (Africa) so seems like a good fit for you.

astrid

Really? I've not seen that. I have known some Sheps who only wanted ONE owner, and everyone else could go hang, as far as obedience.

Yeah -- 2 different danes, 2 different classes. They weren't mean or bad -- they were super friendly and sweet, but didn't want to do the work. They'd dig their heels in or just lie down. Being as big as they are, it's hard to get them to move if they decide they don't want to :) One of the ladies said she was walking her dog across a busy street and he decided that he didn't want to go any further, so he plopped down in the middle of the cross-walk and refused to get up!!!!! I've also seen shepherds like you describe, but a lot of it depends on how they are socialized when they're young. I was hoping my pup would be more MY dog (our mix who died was completely a one-person dog, though he loved the kids) but he seems to be the family dog. I did all the handling of him the first 4 or 5 months we had him, but it made no difference -- he loves us all, and if anything he loves my daughter (the one in the picture) a little bit more than the rest of us. He listens to her better than he listens to me!

Exhibit A:

cleo.jpg

That was a birthday cake that I left on the stove top to cool. Cleo, our great dane, didn't want to wait...but she was very, very sorry that she got caught! :lol:

:lol: I love the look on her face!!!!

I love love LOVE my black lab/golden retriever cross!! :)

He is 90+ pounds, 12 years old (but unfortunately going downhill fast at this point), and the sweetest, most loving boy you've ever met. He adores my little dog and gets along well with the cats. He has always been perfect with the kids - we had him 4 years or so (from puppy-hood) before we had kids and we were mildly concerned from all the stories of dogs learning how to get along with littles, but from the first he was ideal.

My Dobie never overeats-some days he skips, and we've never suffered bloat, BUT he's a doofus. I mean, he'll scare the bejebus out of people, but he's all feet and elbows unless he's running. Dobies are total clowns unless they're protecting you.

nobody has mentioned Shar-Pei. They aren't HUGE, but they are bigger. We're currently the proud owners of our 2nd shar-pei mix. They are a stockier dog and mine always scare the bigeebers out of people when they run to the door but they've been absolutely great family dogs.

Now they can have eye issues which require surgery because of their wrinkles, but usually one surgery is done they are good to go.

Here's a pick of our new girl. We got her from a shar-pei rescue and she's just a big love bug.

003.jpg

Kiyasleeping.jpg

Rhodesian Ridgeback. It's a very short-coated sighthound, big and intimidating but quite sweet. Bred to live in hot, arid country (Africa) so seems like a good fit for you.

astrid

I have to agree! Ridgebacks, because they are aloof to strangers, can come across as unfriendly/and as though they are thinking about whether to rip the stranger to shreds or just give them the cold shoulder - which does make a stranger stop & think before making friendly overtures.

Their bark, while rare, is very intimidating.

They are, though, big couch potatoes, letting kids lay on them, and do whatever they want! Their exercise needs are not high.

They do stay in the puppy stage for a year or two, but this has never been a problem for me, except that my clothes on the outside line were never safe (no matter how high I put them) when we went away for a couple of hours. It was just boredom, and was never a problem when we were home.

They are not big slobberers, they are short haired, and the hair is not too hard to remove from anything.

post-4579-13535086681832_thumb.jpg

post-4579-13535086681832_thumb.jpg

Has anyone mentioned Newfoundlands? They are HUGE, but super gentle, often used to take care of children (Nana in Peter Pan). There are lots of stories about Newfies rescuing children and sailors. Newfies don't need much exercise. However they droll -- meaning that, when they shake their heads, drool ends up on the ceiling....

Has anyone mentioned Newfoundlands? They are HUGE, but super gentle, often used to take care of children (Nana in Peter Pan). There are lots of stories about Newfies rescuing children and sailors. Newfies don't need much exercise. However they droll -- meaning that, when they shake their heads, drool ends up on the ceiling....

Newfs are not hot-weather dogs. They were developed as ocean-going sea dogs in Newfoundland, after all. They have thick, insulating double coats and love to wallow in ice cold water and mud. They'd be miserable living in a hot, dry climate.

astrid

I was coming here to say look up Newfoundlands. They're awesome! The only other negative to drooling is they're hairy.

My Dobie never overeats-some days he skips, and we've never suffered bloat, .

OOoh! After writing that, you should run around the house three times, throw salt over your shoulder, cross your fingers and knock on wood!

astrid:tongue_smilie:

I think a great dane would be a great choice. A mastiff could also fit the bill. Newfies are wonderful, but not for hot climates.

Our dane was the epitome of "gentle giant". She was great with the kids. We got her before my youngest was born and she ADORED my dd. We have tons of pictures and video of her laying on the baby blanket on the floor with dd kicking her in the nose. Oh, and she lived to be 12 years old! My vet kept being amazed every year when we came in for her annual checkups :D.

Bullmastiffs are big yet gentle.

:iagree:

I just. Rescued one. She is the sweetest, most gentle, and ever so loving puppy I can imagine. i love her SO much! She is going to be bigg and scary looking, and her bark at 3.5 months is IMPRESSIVE.

We also got a blackmouth cur. What an AMAZING animal. He is extremely protective and only 7 mo. Old. He will weigh 85 lbs full grown.

Don't get a greyhound for protection. Mine seriously needs medication. I love him and he drives me crazy daily.:tongue_smilie:

If you find that none of those dogs meet your criteria and/or you are not comfortable owning them my advice would be to visit your local shelters and adopt a large black dog. In general, people are more likely to be put off by a large black dog than by any other color.

I really agree with the bolded above. My mom always told me this and I didn't really believe that color made much of a difference. However, during a time when I lived in a not-so-great part of town I had a Black Lab and a Yellow Lab. The reactions the Black Lab got were much different than the Yellow one. In reality they were both big babies and would let anyone, including strangers, love on them unless the person smelled like alcohol(like I said, no-so-great part of town).

[quote name=GretaLynne;

:lol: Chihuahuas ARE scary! I know' date=' because I have one. She is the smallest of our pack, but she's definitely the boss. She's really gentle to the human members of the family, but she doesn't take any carp from the other dogs. Ounce per ounce, I'm convinced chihuahuas are the fiercest dogs on the planet! :D

:lol::lol::lol:

Newfs are not hot-weather dogs. They were developed as ocean-going sea dogs in Newfoundland, after all. They have thick, insulating double coats and love to wallow in ice cold water and mud. They'd be miserable living in a hot, dry climate.

astrid

missed the part about a warm climate

I was coming here to say look up Newfoundlands. They're awesome! The only other negative to drooling is they're hairy.

I adore Newfies, but every time I see one I have to stop myself from wanting one. I remind myself that I am a so-so housekeeper and our house would soon be knee deep in drool & hair. But one of our neighbors has one, and I adore having a chance to socialize, lol.

Exhibit A:

cleo.jpg

That was a birthday cake that I left on the stove top to cool. Cleo, our great dane, didn't want to wait...but she was very, very sorry that she got caught! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Dh walked away from a burger. I heard the swearing..... And:lol::lol::lol: Who walks away from a burger with a large dog present?

astrid

That sounds perfect for the OP.

My Inlaws have an Anatolian. I couldn't imagine him as a house dog, but I'm not big on inside dogs in general.

I would not recommend an Anatolian. I have 2 (house dogs)and work with one of the breed rescues. They would not be recommended for what she is looking for. Too protective and too much of an independant thinker.

I will never be without 1 or more:tongue_smilie: but they are not a breed for everyone!

I think there were many great suggestions though that she can start looking into now.

A doberman would fit your requirements.

Ours was the best dog ever. She was incredibly sweet and gentle with the kids (they rode her like a horse as toddlers) and great with anyone who we let into the house/around her. She was protective though and I always felt safe running alone at night with her.

She didn't shed much but did need a lot of exercise and attention. She was also very smart which could be a problem (figured out the exact spot to push to pop the closet doors open so she could get her own treats, etc).

When I would take her out the reactions went one of two ways. It was either "I used to have one/know one and it was the best dog ever" or people would cross the street so they didn't have to get near her often while commenting on how scary she was.

astrid

I have to agree! Ridgebacks, because they are aloof to strangers, can come across as unfriendly/and as though they are thinking about whether to rip the stranger to shreds or just give them the cold shoulder - which does make a stranger stop & think before making friendly overtures.

Their bark, while rare, is very intimidating.

They are, though, big couch potatoes, letting kids lay on them, and do whatever they want! Their exercise needs are not high.

They do stay in the puppy stage for a year or two, but this has never been a problem for me, except that my clothes on the outside line were never safe (no matter how high I put them) when we went away for a couple of hours. It was just boredom, and was never a problem when we were home.

They are not big slobberers, they are short haired, and the hair is not too hard to remove from anything.

They do sound great! I'm in New Mexico - we have mild winters and long, hot, dry summers, so it sounds like they would be comfortable here. And I didn't know that they are sighthounds! I don't know much about them at all. But our groomer has two of them, so next time I see her I will ask if I can meet them. Thanks for the suggestion!

I know people have mentioned German Shepards. That would be my first choice. I love them.

Another choice would be the Great Dane. You can't always listen to life span stories, as my FIL owned a GD and he lived until he was 14. He was the sweetest dog ever.

I would never(IMO) own a Doberman. Unlike Shepards, Doberman's must be brought up and trained properly and socialized at a very young age.Shepards are the same way, BUT they are more "flexible" then a Doberman.

Doberman's tend to "turn" on their owners with no warnings. I have seen this many times. Their personality is very similar to a Rottweiler. Or a Chow.

Doberman's tend to "turn" on their owners with no warnings. I have seen this many times. Their personality is very similar to a Rottweiler. Or a Chow.

Really? Well, that's definitely the last thing I want. The ones that I've met were so sweet, I thought that their reputation was undeserved.

Looking at the CDC numbers for dog bite fatalities, German Shepherds actually look pretty dangerous (more so than Dobermans - but is that just because German Shepherds are more common than Dobermans?). At this point, I'm considering getting a dog breed that's just not on that list at all. Like a Rhodesian Ridgeback or a big black Lab that looks scary but isn't. :001_smile:

Without reading all the requirements, whenever I see "gentle giant" my mind always goes to Newfoundlands :) I myself would have a Bernese Mountain Dog if I didn't have a husband already :tongue_smilie:

I know people have mentioned German Shepards. That would be my first choice. I love them.

Another choice would be the Great Dane. You can't always listen to life span stories, as my FIL owned a GD and he lived until he was 14. He was the sweetest dog ever.

I would never(IMO) own a Doberman. Unlike Shepards, Doberman's must be brought up and trained properly and socialized at a very young age.Shepards are the same way, BUT they are more "flexible" then a Doberman.

Any overbred breed can do this--it is not in the breed profile, for either Rottweilers or for Dobermans. Chows are a different matter. Do not reject a Dobie based on unethical breeders/breeding.

I don't like Dobies, and never will. I have owned dogs all my life. I have rescued, fostered, etc etc etc...........I am not a person who is afraid of dogs. EXCEPT for Dobermans and Chows.

I know of 3 owners who had to put their Dobies down because they turned around and bit them HARD. One was bit so badly they needed reconstructive surgery.

Can this happen with any dog? Sure. But there are dogs that are more prone to turn on an owner without warning then others.

Our best friends had a Chow. This dog was 5 years old. Sweetest dog you would ever imagine. One day, the dog was on the enclosed porch as usual, and my best friend walked in the porch like she always did. The dog bared his teeth, lunged at her, and took a chunk of her arm off. And this is not the first story I have heard about Chows.

I know that training and upbringing has A LOT to do with how a dog behaves. But, even with the best training in the world, there are just certain breeds that have a tendency to do this.

I have a Lab/Golden mix. I love him to death. Could he turn on me? Maybe. Is he more likely to do that then a Dobie or a Chow? Unlikely.

Someone mentioned Newfoundlands. They are wonderful. I know of many people who own them, and love them.

I am partial to German Shepards, Labs, Goldens, Newfoundlands, and Great Danes.

And remember, many dogs are on the "no no" list for insurance companies. (German Shepards are one of them).

And thos CDC statistics are grossly misleading. Many owners are NOT going to report a dog turning on them. Many feel they should give the dog another chance. Or, sadly the dog is dumped off somewhere in no man's land.

Two things I want to also point out. Mixed breeds are better all around. You get a little of this and a little of that. Unless you are going to be a professional dog breeder, I would not bother with a purebred. There are SO many mixed bredd puppies that need homes. And second, I cannot stress enough to make sure your dog is not only socialized with your other dog, and family. But socialized at a very young age to all kinds of dogs and cats. And finally, training. You don't need to take them to a school. You can do it yourself easily at home. Clicker training is the best method. Crate training is best for housebreaking. You have to let them know who the head of the pack is. Which is you, or your DH. Otherwise, they will walk all over you, and then you have a big problem on your hands.

I wish you the very best in finding your new family member. If my dog wasn't so spoiled rotten, I would get another dog in a heartbeat. But my heart belongs to Zachary :D

I know that training and upbringing has A LOT to do with how a dog behaves. But, even with the best training in the world, there are just certain breeds that have a tendency to do this.

Yes, I definitely agree with you, and that's why I will not consider a pit bull or a Rottweiler. I wouldn't get a Chow either, though I didn't think to put that one on my initial list. Dobermans are beautiful dogs, but if they belong in the same category as these other breeds, then I think I'd rather just not take a chance. There are so many wonderful dogs to choose from, I see no reason to risk one that might be a danger to my family.

And remember, many dogs are on the "no no" list for insurance companies. (German Shepards are one of them).

I had not even thought of that. Maybe I should check with our insurance company.

Two things I want to also point out. Mixed breeds are better all around. You get a little of this and a little of that. Unless you are going to be a professional dog breeder, I would not bother with a purebred. There are SO many mixed bredd puppies that need homes.

Yes, I'm open to "mutts" simply because I would prefer to adopt rather than to buy. But I wanted to get a good idea of which breeds or mixes would be best for us, and keep an eye on what's available at the city shelter, and then be able to make a decision when the right dog becomes available.

And second, I cannot stress enough to make sure your dog is not only socialized with your other dog, and family. But socialized at a very young age to all kinds of dogs and cats. And finally, training. You don't need to take them to a school. You can do it yourself easily at home. Clicker training is the best method. Crate training is best for housebreaking.

My dogs are trained only in the most basic of concepts. And they have my husband trained to give them treats on command! Is there a particular book or method that you most recommend?

You have to let them know who the head of the pack is. Which is you, or your DH. Otherwise, they will walk all over you, and then you have a big problem on your hands.

Yeah, definitely me. Hubby is a total pushover. That's another reason that a potentially aggressive dog might not be a good fit for us.

Really? Well, that's definitely the last thing I want. The ones that I've met were so sweet, I thought that their reputation was undeserved.

Looking at the CDC numbers for dog bite fatalities, German Shepherds actually look pretty dangerous (more so than Dobermans - but is that just because German Shepherds are more common than Dobermans?). At this point, I'm considering getting a dog breed that's just not on that list at all. Like a Rhodesian Ridgeback or a big black Lab that looks scary but isn't. :001_smile:

Those numbers can be really deceiving. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a "husky" misidentified. Most people only recognize around 10 or so breeds, and with very little accuracy.

Our husky is the least protective dog I've ever seen. She dances around gleefully if a stranger walks into our home ("Woo hoo! Maybe they have treats!!") I can't even imagine what it would take to make her bite. Someone would have to hurt her. A LOT.

Malamutes on the other hand, have a very different personality. People are always asking me if my (blue-eyed) husky is a Malamute. :glare:

German Shepherd (the HERD is in the name because it is a HERDing breed) do need responsible owners. That herding/protectiveness instinct means their people need to really pay attention. Ours tends to want to round up small children (chickens, cats...). Something to keep in mind if you're around little kids a lot. He also hates it when people squeal. It makes him confused trying to figure out if someone's being hurt. I constantly need to remind even my bigger kids of this.

Yeah, definitely me. Hubby is a total pushover. That's another reason that a potentially aggressive dog might not be a good fit for us.

My husband is the reason our husky lurks around whenever someone eats something. I could not convince him that was a bad idea when she was a puppy. Now he finds it annoying. :tongue_smilie:

Without reading all the requirements, whenever I see "gentle giant" my mind always goes to Newfoundlands :) I myself would have a Bernese Mountain Dog if I didn't have a husband already :tongue_smilie:

I would LOVE a newfie, but living in South Florida isn't the best climate for them. If we ever moved up north though...I would get one in a heartbeat!!

When I worked for Nationwide insurance we had a list of dogs that if found on a homeowner's property, they were automatically denied home owner's insurace.

The breeds were:

Pit Bull

Rottweiller (sp?)

Doberman

Chow

And one other one that I can't remember right now (but it wasn't German Shepherd because they are used as seeing eye dogs so often.)

So definitely check with your home owner's insrance.

As for my vote, I choose Boxer every time! I truly believe that our boxer saved me about a year ago from having something awful happen to me, but the minute the guy saw our Boxer he backed up and left our property.

My dh said she was worth every penny after that. :001_smile:

Anatolian Shepherd has not been mentioned. These are just beautiful and HUGE dogs. The lady I get goat's milk from raises them. They ARE protectors, but they can protect a family just as they could a flock/farm. I don't have much time to explain too much about them, but I also know of a family with a baby that literally crawls all over the dog and it is very gentle. They need heavy and early training, but they do shed and need grooming. They live a very long time for a larger dog.

ETA: Here is a link to my friend's farm page. I just cannot wait for the day I have property and can have one of these dogs!

http://coyotecanyon.biz/anatolianIndex.aspx

Edited by 425lisamarie