Menu

Looking for a "gentle giant" type of dog

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those numbers can be really deceiving. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a "husky" misidentified. Most people only recognize around 10 or so breeds, and with very little accuracy.

Our husky is the least protective dog I've ever seen. She dances around gleefully if a stranger walks into our home ("Woo hoo! Maybe they have treats!!") I can't even imagine what it would take to make her bite. Someone would have to hurt her. A LOT.

Malamutes on the other hand, have a very different personality. People are always asking me if my (blue-eyed) husky is a Malamute. :glare:

German Shepherd (the HERD is in the name because it is a HERDing breed) do need responsible owners. That herding/protectiveness instinct means their people need to really pay attention. Ours tends to want to round up small children (chickens, cats...). Something to keep in mind if you're around little kids a lot. He also hates it when people squeal. It makes him confused trying to figure out if someone's being hurt. I constantly need to remind even my bigger kids of this.

I agree with the inaccuracy of identifying dogs in that report AND I want to second how wonderful huskies are. I've known several, and they're so incredibly sweet. I can't imagine the ones I know/have met hurting anyone. They are escape artists, but not vicious. I've seen vicious malamutes, which isn't to say they're all like that (they're not) but I think you're far more likely to encounter a vicious malamute than a vicious husky. Also, more of the dogs in the report could have been wolf hybrids that were not correctly identified. They would look more like a husky, malamute, or even a shepherd depending on what they were crossed with. As it's illegal in many states to own a wolf hybrid, it's likely owners wouldn't be forthcoming with that information.

Shepherds DO herd, and like any dog, they need training. Someone brought up insurance. It depends on the insurance company. We've only had one that wouldn't insure us, and that's because we have 2 shepherds -- they still would have covered us with 1. My friend actually gets a discount on her home owners insurance for having 2 shepherds and a husky because they have documented obedience training. Their insurance company looks at the dogs the same way they'd look at an alarm system -- it repels potential burglars. I think some insurance companies may not see it as a liability if you have advanced obedience training (K9 Good Citizenship, or something similar).

Look at the picture I posted. Does that look like a vicious dog? He wants to nap, eat cookies, and play with his people. The worst offenses he commits are cutting in front of our other dog and whining when we're giving her attention instead of him, or digging child-swallowing holes in the yard. The only reason I would suggest NOT getting a German Shepherd is because of where you live. In that climate, a dog with short hair and one coat might be a better match for youpost-8623-13535086686782_thumb.jpg.

Thanks, I will look into these. I really wasn't thinking of any of the retriever breeds, because I thought that, like the greyhound, they wouldn't have that "don't mess with me" vibe. But I could reconsider if you think I'm wrong, or I could definitely consider any retriever mixes that might be at the local shelter.

::delurking::

I've been enjoying this thread and just wanted to throw in my 2c here.

My mom has a 4-year old black lab who is about 120 lbs (monster dog) and he is a pure bred (rescue). He is the world's biggest pushover....

...unless...

... you mean harm to her or me (probably my kids too, but it never came to that) harm.

He barks up a storm and *really* dislikes being told to stop but the only time I ever saw him bear his teeth was when some (insert expletive) dude decided I was fair game. The man retreated so fast I couldn't give the police a very good description of him. I honestly thought the dog was going to take his hand off if he got closer to me.

My daughter took food out of the dog's mouth and he didn't do anything worse than lick her trying to get the food back. But, some dude decided to touch me and he about came unglued.

Good luck,

Kris

ETA: I have a 10 month old Aussie who is about 35 lbs. She is a great dog, but smaller than you want LOL. I'm not looking forward to Abq later this summer while visiting my in-laws. Hot and dry!!

Edited by mommytobees

I know people have mentioned German Shepards. That would be my first choice. I love them.

Another choice would be the Great Dane. You can't always listen to life span stories, as my FIL owned a GD and he lived until he was 14. He was the sweetest dog ever.

I would never(IMO) own a Doberman. Unlike Shepards, Doberman's must be brought up and trained properly and socialized at a very young age.Shepards are the same way, BUT they are more "flexible" then a Doberman.

Doberman's tend to "turn" on their owners with no warnings. I have seen this many times. Their personality is very similar to a Rottweiler. Or a Chow.

First, I don't want the OP (or others) to assume that 14 is anywhere near the realm of a normal life span for a Dane. I know many Dane people (lifetime breeders, owners, etc.) who are thrilled when that seemingly magic benchmark of 7 is reached. Bloat, osteosarcoma, hemangiosarcoma...there are too many nasties that unfortunately take the big guys so much sooner than smaller dogs. It's one of the heartbreaks of big dog ownership.

Secondly, what do you mean by "turn on their owners?" If you're saying that you know a lot of Dobermans with aggression/temperament issues, that's one thing. But "turning on its owner" is sort of the stuff of myth and legend. Temperament problems may exist from birth, may be enhanced by a lack of socialization, incorrect/nonexistant discipline and boundaries, physiological causes, etc. but "turning on their owner" is not a trait unique to Dobes or Rotties or teacup poodles or Briards or mutts. And NEVER is there TRULY no warning. There's always a warning. Usually, there are multiple warnings. Humans don't speak "dog" and the sad truth of the matter is that the dog has been trying to communicate with us all along, but we humans haven't understood.

Personally, I know many here love them, but I have not met many German Shepherd Dogs that I'd give you five cents for. Working lines shepherds imported from Europe, and the very small handful of breeders who are breeding only imported, working-lines excepted, we've made the breed an over-angulated, freaked-out, shy ninny with no confidence and a preponderance of fear-based aggression issues and no working ability. Are there exceptions? Sure. But on the whole, most serious dog folks will tell you that the GSD that we all remember and love from our childhoods is a thing of the past. Sad.

As always, this is just my humble opinion, so take it with a grain of salt and consider the source, as they say-- me, a passionate dog person who like most dog folks has an opinion on everything! :D

astrid

I would like to mention the Belgian Malnois as an option. They are very similiar to German Shepards but with shorter hair and they have not been bred for sloping backends. Ours is highly intelligent and anyone in our family can do anything with her.

He barks up a storm and *really* dislikes being told to stop but the only time I ever saw him bear his teeth was when some (insert expletive) dude decided I was fair game. The man retreated so fast I couldn't give the police a very good description of him. I honestly thought the dog was going to take his hand off if he got closer to me.

My daughter took food out of the dog's mouth and he didn't do anything worse than lick her trying to get the food back. But, some dude decided to touch me and he about came unglued.

Sounds like a fantastic dog! :001_smile:

I'm not looking forward to Abq later this summer while visiting my in-laws. Hot and dry!!

yeah, not the best time of year to visit. Though, even the hottest part of the summer here isn't as hot as where I grew up in Oklahoma. Hot AND muggy.

::delurking::

I've been enjoying this thread and just wanted to throw in my 2c here.

My mom has a 4-year old black lab who is about 120 lbs (monster dog) and he is a pure bred (rescue). He is the world's biggest pushover....

...unless...

... you mean harm to her or me (probably my kids too, but it never came to that) harm.

Good luck,

Kris

ETA: I have a 10 month old Aussie who is about 35 lbs. She is a great dog, but smaller than you want LOL. I'm not looking forward to Abq later this summer while visiting my in-laws. Hot and dry!!

Wow--- a purebred Lab at 120 lbs? THIS is not the norm. How tall is he? SHOULD he be 120 lbs? Or is he, um, portly? Labs have a distinct tendency to pack on weight.

I'm sure he's great-- sounds like a wonderful boy, but OP, please know that your average Lab or Lab mix doesn't get this big! :001_smile: So if you're looking for BIG, I wouldn't go with a Lab. Chances are you won't get 120 lbs of hunka hunka dog.

astrid

'Duke' was a gentle giant. He WAS intimidating-- but if you got close enough he would only give kisses...he was a real snuggler.

Duke was so gentle that when our cat had kittens she brought her 1 week old litter over to Duke so he could 'kitten sit' while she went outside. (happened more than once!)

Somewhere we have a picture of him with kittens crawling all over him!

BTW-- he took his kitten-sitting job very seriously-- he never left them alone until the momma cat came back.

Wow--- a purebred Lab at 120 lbs? THIS is not the norm. How tall is he? SHOULD he be 120 lbs? Or is he, um, portly? Labs have a distinct tendency to pack on weight.

I'm sure he's great-- sounds like a wonderful boy, but OP, please know that your average Lab or Lab mix doesn't get this big! :001_smile: So if you're looking for BIG, I wouldn't go with a Lab. Chances are you won't get 120 lbs of hunka hunka dog.

astrid

Yes, I definitely did not think that sounded typical for a Lab! :) Personality-wise, I love the idea of a Lab or a Boxer, but neither is quite as big as what I had originally pictured, though I'm keeping them on the list anyway. Rhodesian Ridgegacks are a bit bigger overall, and stockier in build, right?

Yes, I definitely did not think that sounded typical for a Lab! :) Personality-wise, I love the idea of a Lab or a Boxer, but neither is quite as big as what I had originally pictured, though I'm keeping them on the list anyway. Rhodesian Ridgegacks are a bit bigger overall, and stockier in build, right?

Yes, they are. Here's the link to the AKC Parent Club's website--

http://www.rrcus.org/ Lots of pictures and info.

Bear in mind, though-- to big dog folks, "Lab sized" isn't big. To John Q. Public, Labs are BIG. Size is relative.

Plus, I'd sooner mess with a Saint Bernard than with a really ticked off pitty.

astrid

Yes, they are. Here's the link to the AKC Parent Club's website--

http://www.rrcus.org/ Lots of pictures and info.

Thanks!

Bear in mind, though-- to big dog folks, "Lab sized" isn't big. To John Q. Public, Labs are BIG. Size is relative.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that, since they don't seem all that big to me.

Plus, I'd sooner mess with a Saint Bernard than with a really ticked off pitty.

I'd sooner mess with just about any domestic animal than with a ticked off pitty!

Had a Dane, My big baby and sweet as can be. BIG bark, no one bothered her, but we had her pts when she was almost 9 from cancer. Have a GSD. Big lover, but very protective of his people, though he is not good with cats, but does fine with our two small dogs (under 20 lbs). When we go to town, he stands between me and strangers. Have a pitt mix....big baby, but barks like she'll eat you. :D

Anatolian Shepherd has not been mentioned. These are just beautiful and HUGE dogs. The lady I get goat's milk from raises them. They ARE protectors, but they can protect a family just as they could a flock/farm. I don't have much time to explain too much about them, but I also know of a family with a baby that literally crawls all over the dog and it is very gentle. They need heavy and early training, but they do shed and need grooming. They live a very long time for a larger dog.

ETA: Here is a link to my friend's farm page. I just cannot wait for the day I have property and can have one of these dogs!

http://coyotecanyon.biz/anatolianIndex.aspx

They were recommended by another poster and I recommended against them. They are not for the regular owner. These are an indepentant breed that has the ability and brains to think on their own. That means if your childs friend is there and they are rough housing it is in their nature to control the situation and potential threat.

I adore this breed, will always have 1 (at least) but they are not what I believe the op is looking for. They need a high, secure fence and really so much more. They can drool, they are a longer lived xlarge breed of dog but are very strong willed, protective dogs. My children could do that(climb all over) to my dogs if I ever thought there was a reason to allow that but no other child could. Of course I would never allow a child to climb on my dogs.

They shed heavily at least twice a year. I vacumm 2-4 times per day during coat blowing season.

Not sure what you mean by heavy training because if you do not find a way to work with this breed you will lose their confidance quickly.

I could go on about the breed as I own, work with one of the rescues and adore the breed but we get many into the rescue because many people do not understand the level of commitment that this breed should have.

First, I don't want the OP (or others) to assume that 14 is anywhere near the realm of a normal life span for a Dane. I know many Dane people (lifetime breeders, owners, etc.) who are thrilled when that seemingly magic benchmark of 7 is reached. Bloat, osteosarcoma, hemangiosarcoma...there are too many nasties that unfortunately take the big guys so much sooner than smaller dogs. It's one of the heartbreaks of big dog ownership.

Secondly, what do you mean by "turn on their owners?" If you're saying that you know a lot of Dobermans with aggression/temperament issues, that's one thing. But "turning on its owner" is sort of the stuff of myth and legend. Temperament problems may exist from birth, may be enhanced by a lack of socialization, incorrect/nonexistant discipline and boundaries, physiological causes, etc. but "turning on their owner" is not a trait unique to Dobes or Rotties or teacup poodles or Briards or mutts. And NEVER is there TRULY no warning. There's always a warning. Usually, there are multiple warnings. Humans don't speak "dog" and the sad truth of the matter is that the dog has been trying to communicate with us all along, but we humans haven't understood.

Personally, I know many here love them, but I have not met many German Shepherd Dogs that I'd give you five cents for. Working lines shepherds imported from Europe, and the very small handful of breeders who are breeding only imported, working-lines excepted, we've made the breed an over-angulated, freaked-out, shy ninny with no confidence and a preponderance of fear-based aggression issues and no working ability. Are there exceptions? Sure. But on the whole, most serious dog folks will tell you that the GSD that we all remember and love from our childhoods is a thing of the past. Sad.

As always, this is just my humble opinion, so take it with a grain of salt and consider the source, as they say-- me, a passionate dog person who like most dog folks has an opinion on everything! :D

astrid

First, yes. I do know several owners of Dobies. Past, and present . I have seen way to many agression issues with Dobies, even with the right training. If someone wants to own a Dobie, then I would do it ONLY as adult owners, and I hesitate to even comment on that. Not all Dobies are bad, as I am sure there are many out there where owners have not had an issue with. But, from what I have observed and know to be fact, that is not the norm with Dobies.

As far as the Chow. What are you saying? That my best friends never picked up any warning signs??? I know we lived next door, and I never saw any warning signs from this dog. Ever. There does not have to be a warning sign. A dog can turn on it's owner at any time. Sure, there is a reason WHY the dog does that. Was it startled? was it just in a ticked off mood??(contrary to what people believe, dogs DO have many human tendencies), Did he possibly step on something on the porch and was hurt? We don't know. But I can assure you that my best friend lost a chunk of her arm, and it not only surprised her, but many of us who knew this dog and knew the dog well. The dog was euthenized.

The issue here is this. NO DOG should be trusted 100%. I don't care if you have a teacup poodle or a Gentle Giant. Dogs can be finicky. Certain breeds more then others. And sometimes, no matter how much training you do, the point comes down to the nature of the dog, the breeding process, and what the dogs were originally bred for.

I have fostered, adopted out, trained dogs, volunteered at shelters long enough to know that certain dogs are just not suitable for families with kids. Or a person who is afraid to take control of the dog. A couple who works all day. Or take on a breed that tends to be vicious without a firm hand.

My dog is 7 years old and is part lab/golden. I never saw a mean streak in him. Until last year..............a strange man came to my door. Usually he is all excited because he loves people. For some reason my dog did NOT like this strange man at my door. He stood there, at the front door, with his teeth bared growling at this man, and he did not allow me to go near that door. That is the ONLY time I have ever seen any type of aggression from him towards anyone. And whoever this man was , my dog did NOT approve. He was protecting me from the stranger. Again, my dog has always loved everyone. And I mean everyone. But do I trust him 100%? No. Because he is a dog. Would he ever hurt me or one of my kids. Chances are slim. Could it happen? Of course.

Most of the time the saying is true. There are no such thing as bad dogs, only bad owners. But I have seen the bad dogs with the good owners. Sadly, on one to many ocassions.

My lab was 120lbs when she was younger. She's lost weight recently, but she wasn't overweight. She is an "English Labrador Retriever", which are fluffier and larger than the "American Yellow Labrador". The English labs are taller than the American labs as well. American Labs get to about 75lbs.

I only know this because my vet is a labrador fanatic. He explained the differences to me. :)

astrid

I agree with everything you said. Totally. In over 2 decades working with dogs professionally I've never seen a dog "turn on it's owner" with no warning. I've seen plenty of dogs that I felt were dangerous, that the owner's refused to acknowledge were a problem, until it finally bit them. At which point they told everyone they knew that there was "no warning. " Ugh.

Also agree on Dane life spans and on Shepherds. My dog is a shepherd/pit mix. Everyone assumed her early aggression issues were pit based, but in my opinion, the vet's opinion, and the opinion of the nationally recognized veterinary behaviorists I talked to (2 of them), her behavior was very typical shepherd, just taken to extreme. I definitely see way more shy/fearful shepherds than pits, lol. (not sure I've ever met a shy fearful pit, actually.). I've also been lucky enough to meet a few REALLY nice shepherds, most older dogs.

As far as the Chow. What are you saying? That my best friends never picked up any warning signs??? I know we lived next door, and I never saw any warning signs from this dog. Ever. T.

Actually, in the case of Chows, they were bred specifically to be hard to read. The way the hair hides the position of the ears, the size of the eyes, etc are so that it is very very hard to read their state of mind. So I'm not surprised, in that case, that the dog was hard to read. One of the reasons I don't really like working with Chow's I don't know well. (but the only breeds I really get nervous working on are cattle dogs)

I would like to mention the Belgian Malnois as an option. They are very similiar to German Shepards but with shorter hair and they have not been bred for sloping backends. Ours is highly intelligent and anyone in our family can do anything with her.

Warning, these are generally VERY VERY VERY VERY high energy, and are WORKING dogs. They need a job to do. There are SO many in rescue because the average household is not enough mental stimulation for them. They are the number one police dog in the world for a reason. I LOVE the breed, but would never advise them for a pet household.

Weimaraners fit your characteristics too, and are a favorite of mine, but again, not for the faint of heart. They are VERY demanding of your time.

You dont need a big dog to protect you. In the heat of the moment, most dogs will protect their owners and you dont need to teach them how to do it.

For example. I have a medium sized dog. She is lab/golden retriever/german shepherd mix. About 40lbs and i can say she doesnt look scary, but I know shed protect me in a heartbeat. She has this way about people and will growl and bark if its someone i shouldnt be around. Not in an aggressive way I should add, but a " mom, dont mess with this person" type warning.

Now my other 3? I dont know. They might lick you to death. :lol: (2 labs and a beagle). I kid, they would likely at least bark to warn, but to protect? I dont think so.

-----------------------------------------------

as for breeds that look scary but arent? Boxers and shepherds are what id go with.

I would go to a rescue and see what kind of dog you connect with. The breed may just surprise you. :grouphug:

You dont need a big dog to protect you. In the heat of the moment, most dogs will protect their owners and you dont need to teach them how to do it.

I was told by a policeman that the most effective protection was two terriers. Certainly my Jack Russell terrier that I'd had since before I was married was ferocious. Once we got the Bernese Mountain Dog, I never worried - if the Jack Russell sensed any danger at all she would go crazy barking and growling, which would then start the BMD barking. No one would ever have taken on the two together.

Cassy

. I definitely see way more shy/fearful shepherds than pits, lol. (not sure I've ever met a shy fearful pit, actually.). I've also been lucky enough to meet a few REALLY nice shepherds, most older dogs.

I've known tons of shepherds (they seem to be the dog of choice among my circle of friends) and only two out of about the 20 or so I know were shy and fearful. One was impulsively bought from a pet shop by my friends who felt sorry for the older puppy in the window. Total puppy-mill dog. The difference in looks and personality between him and their breeder-purchased dog were glaring. The dog purchased from the breeder was confident and looked the way you'd expect a shepherd to look. The pet-shop dog was scared of everything, would submissively pee on anyone who came over, and looked off -- his proportions were all wrong. He had this enormous head, and tiny body that didn't match. The other "off" shepherd was my own mix who came from a rescue, and based on his behavior I believe he was abused in his previous home. The rest of the dogs were purchased from reputable breeders as puppies. I agree that if you consider a German Shepherd, find a reputable breeder of working German lines. The rest of the shepherds I know have all been gentle, confident, even-tempered dogs who were excellent with children. It's important to note that all of these good-tempered dogs were also very well socialized as puppies. Here is an article about the differences between the American/Canadian and German lines if anyone considering the breed is interested: http://www.ottogsd.com/GermanvsAmericanlines.htm

I've known tons of shepherds (they seem to be the dog of choice among my circle of friends) and only two out of about the 20 or so I know were shy and fearful. One was impulsively bought from a pet shop by my friends who felt sorry for the older puppy in the window. Total puppy-mill dog. The difference in looks and personality between him and their breeder-purchased dog were glaring. The dog purchased from the breeder was confident and looked the way you'd expect a shepherd to look. The pet-shop dog was scared of everything, would submissively pee on anyone who came over, and looked off -- his proportions were all wrong. He had this enormous head, and tiny body that didn't match. The other "off" shepherd was my own mix who came from a rescue, and based on his behavior I believe he was abused in his previous home. The rest of the dogs were purchased from reputable breeders as puppies. I agree that if you consider a German Shepherd, find a reputable breeder of working German lines. The rest of the shepherds I know have all been gentle, confident, even-tempered dogs who were excellent with children. It's important to note that all of these good-tempered dogs were also very well socialized as puppies. Here is an article about the differences between the American/Canadian and German lines if anyone considering the breed is interested: http://www.ottogsd.com/GermanvsAmericanlines.htm

The breeder definitely makes a huge difference. And it may be regional. It could be all your friends bought from certain breeders that were good, or in your neck of the woods. Could be the ones in my neck of the woods are the crappy breeders :)

I'm in florida, if that makes a difference.

The breeder definitely makes a huge difference. And it may be regional. It could be all your friends bought from certain breeders that were good, or in your neck of the woods. Could be the ones in my neck of the woods are the crappy breeders :)

I'm in florida, if that makes a difference.

Our old girl, and our friend's (now deceased dog) were half-sisters, but one had a mother from American show lines, and ours had a mother from German lines. The father was from German lines. Their dog favored the American mother, and was not nearly as healthy as our dog. They had to put her down at 9 for extreme hip problems/arthritis. Our girl is 11 1/2, and her hips have been giving her trouble the last 6 months, but I think 11 is probably a "normal" age to develop arthritis. 3 of the dogs currently owned are from one breeder. Our "pup," and 2 of our friends own dogs from this breeder. She has developed the line from a male imported from Germany from the Kirschental line and many of her females are also descended from a female from the same kennel in Germany. She breeds his daughters (not with him, obviously) and still breeds the male with another female or two that have had proven litters. Great dogs! All 3 of us with dogs from this breeder (including a friend who is a professional dog trainer) have noticed that these shepherds are particularly strong-willed for the breed. They listen, but we had to establish who was in charge early, and we had to hit it home during the "teen years." None of them were difficult to train, but they were always testing the limit to see exactly what they could get away with in any situation. There are a lot of crappy German Shepherd breeders in our area too. Like anything else, you have to do your homework. Not all the dogs I know are from New England though. My trainer friend had one from Arizona from when she lived there, and has one from someone in Pennsylvania or New Jersey, I think, that she co-owns with the breeder. All the dogs are great -- no aggression issues with any of them, other than our Logan who thinks cats are toys :glare:

Oh, yes, I know that even little dogs (or maybe especially little dogs? :lol: ) can be very protective. Mostly, though, I'm just wanting a dog that LOOKS fierce, to serve as a deterrent to any potential criminals, to make them decide that I'm too much trouble, and therefore not to mess with me (or especially my daughter) to begin with. That's my hope, anyway. If it actually gets to a point where I'm being attacked, then I don't know if I can count on a dog or my (virtually non-existent) self-defense skills or a weapon or anything else, because those matters are usually decided in mere seconds, seconds when your adrenalin is pumping and you aren't thinking clearly or functioning well. So I'm putting more stock in trying to avoid the attack to begin with.

as for breeds that look scary but arent? Boxers and shepherds are what id go with.

Yeah, the idea of a boxer is really growing on me. :001_smile:

I would go to a rescue and see what kind of dog you connect with. The breed may just surprise you. :grouphug:

Good advice!

I just wanted to thank everyone who has posted. I really appreciate all of the help, and it's been fun learning about new breeds and seeing everyone's cute pictures! :001_smile:

In thinking about what will be best for my family as a whole (the hubby who is a total pushover with dogs and who gets trained by our dogs instead of being the one doing the training! A 12 year old girl who might not be able to physically handle a really huge dog.) I'm leaning more towards a large-but-not-giant, fierce-looking-but-actually-friendly companion dog like a Boxer, rather than a breed that really needs extensive training and stimulation in order to be happy and well-adjusted. I love the idea of a Rhodesian Ridgeback too, but since they are simply less common, I'm not going to hold my breath that one will show up in the local shelter. And it's entirely possible that I'll just end up with a mutt. :D Bloodhounds came up on an internet quiz I took to find the right dog breed for you. Any thoughts on them? Or how about Vizslas? I'm looking into Weimaraners as well. And a big black Lab would definitely be a possibility. But in the end, it may just come down to which dog at the local shelter captures my heart. Still, I do want to be educated enough about breeds that I don't make a bad call.

Oh, I also wanted to thank those of you who explained more about the CDC statistics. Since these are cases where people actually died, I would have thought that the authorities would have established what breed the dog really was. But I can also see that people not educated about dogs could very easily mix up huskies and Malamutes, for example, and that a lot of wolf hybrids could have been identified as huskies. I've loved the huskies that I've met, but I haven't given serious thought to one simply because of climate issues -- I can't imagine they'd be comfortable here in the desert!

Thanks again to everyone!

Our old girl, and our friend's (now deceased dog) were half-sisters, but one had a mother from American show lines, and ours had a mother from German lines. The father was from German lines. Their dog favored the American mother, and was not nearly as healthy as our dog. They had to put her down at 9 for extreme hip problems/arthritis. Our girl is 11 1/2, and her hips have been giving her trouble the last 6 months, but I think 11 is probably a "normal" age to develop arthritis. 3 of the dogs currently owned are from one breeder. Our "pup," and 2 of our friends own dogs from this breeder. She has developed the line from a male imported from Germany from the Kirschental line and many of her females are also descended from a female from the same kennel in Germany. She breeds his daughters (not with him, obviously) and still breeds the male with another female or two that have had proven litters. Great dogs! All 3 of us with dogs from this breeder (including a friend who is a professional dog trainer) have noticed that these shepherds are particularly strong-willed for the breed. They listen, but we had to establish who was in charge early, and we had to hit it home during the "teen years." None of them were difficult to train, but they were always testing the limit to see exactly what they could get away with in any situation. There are a lot of crappy German Shepherd breeders in our area too. Like anything else, you have to do your homework. Not all the dogs I know are from New England though. My trainer friend had one from Arizona from when she lived there, and has one from someone in Pennsylvania or New Jersey, I think, that she co-owns with the breeder. All the dogs are great -- no aggression issues with any of them, other than our Logan who thinks cats are toys :glare:

I had a feeling most of these dogs were from the same breeder :)

And yes, the german lines are more stable mentally, by far, and healthier physically, but that does come with the trade off you mentioned, which is they a more confident dog needs very consistent training, to avoid them ruling the roost as it were.

We own a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog' date=' and he sounds like he fits exactly what you are looking for.

He is the sweetest, most gentle tempermented dog I have ever met. He is about 125 lbs, so he is big enough to be imposing to people, and when he does bark it literally shakes the windows.

He is the biggest baby, though. He sleeps with my daughter every night and just loves to be pampered and pet. We also own a corgi, and the corgi is definitely the alpha dog. The bigger dog has no desire to be in any position of authority! We also have a cat that he is very gentle with.

The "swissy" is the short-hair cousin to the Bernese Mountain dog. He is also considered a dry-mouth breed, so you don't get a lot of the slobbering that sometimes comes with the bigger dogs.

[ATTACH']8724[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8725[/ATTACH]

It doesn't hurt that the Bernese is gorgeous.

I fell in love with a Bullmastiff yesterday. So mellow and huge. I wonder how much they eat? I wouldn't get a Dane. I've had one. She hated to be apart from us at all. She'd jump the highest of fences to get to us, and had to get stitches more than once from hurting herself. We ended up getting a large kennel for her. They are sweet though.

I love the idea of a Rhodesian Ridgeback too, but since they are simply less common, I'm not going to hold my breath that one will show up in the local shelter.

Google for Rhodesian rescues. They probably have a breed rescue group near you, and could help you pick a dog that matches your family. Very goofy dogs.

And it's entirely possible that I'll just end up with a mutt. :D Bloodhounds came up on an internet quiz I took to find the right dog breed for you. Any thoughts on them?

You said no drooling. Bloodhounds drool a LOT. And have an ...odor...to them.

Or how about Vizslas? I'm looking into Weimaraners as well.

These two breeds are somewhat similar, with the weimaraner being larger, more protective, and in my totally biased opinion, smarter. HOwever, both, but particularly weims, need a LOT LOT LOT LOT LOT of training and attention, and are prone to separation anxiety, which you would need to look out for with a rescue. NOw, I've known some that were very laid back and thought they were just protective labradors. But most have been a bit more...needy. I had two, one was from hunting lines and was the love of my life, and my soulmate. She was very protective though, and that was an issue a few times, as she wouldn't let my parents in my room if I was asleep, when I was staying with them, lol. She also was very touch sensitive, which was bizarre. She didn't like to be pet. The other was laid back, loved everyone, but had separation anxiety when I adopted her. She did well on prozac and training, but it took months. Then when she got older it came back with a vengence and she ended up having to be put down. Broke my heart, but she finally, after breaking out of windows, crates, etc really injured herself. I've fostered a third, and he was very laid back for a weim, no behavior issues, but dug up his first owner's yard, and his new owner's yard. I'll have another one day, but when I have the time to put into it. Mutts and pits for me for now...much easier.

And a big black Lab would definitely be a possibility. But in the end, it may just come down to which dog at the local shelter captures my heart. Still, I do want to be educated enough about breeds that I don't make a bad call.

Oh, I also wanted to thank those of you who explained more about the CDC statistics. Since these are cases where people actually died, I would have thought that the authorities would have established what breed the dog really was. But I can also see that people not educated about dogs could very easily mix up huskies and Malamutes, for example, and that a lot of wolf hybrids could have been identified as huskies. Yup. You'd be AMAZED at how bad people are at identifying dogs. EVERYONE thinks my border collie is a husky because he has one blue eye. And EVERYONE thought my weimaraners were greyhounds, because they were grey (??). Pitbulls are notoriously named, even when the culprit is a boxer, american bulldog, bulldog, sharpei, etc. Meanwhile, dogs that to me are obviously pit bulls, people think are lab mixes. Go figure.

Thanks again to everyone!

hope that helps

First, yes. I do know several owners of Dobies. Past, and present . I have seen way to many agression issues with Dobies, even with the right training. If someone wants to own a Dobie, then I would do it ONLY as adult owners, and I hesitate to even comment on that. Not all Dobies are bad, as I am sure there are many out there where owners have not had an issue with. But, from what I have observed and know to be fact, that is not the norm with Dobies.

As far as the Chow. What are you saying? That my best friends never picked up any warning signs??? I know we lived next door, and I never saw any warning signs from this dog. Ever. There does not have to be a warning sign. A dog can turn on it's owner at any time. Sure, there is a reason WHY the dog does that. Was it startled? was it just in a ticked off mood??(contrary to what people believe, dogs DO have many human tendencies), Did he possibly step on something on the porch and was hurt? We don't know. But I can assure you that my best friend lost a chunk of her arm, and it not only surprised her, but many of us who knew this dog and knew the dog well. The dog was euthenized.

The issue here is this. NO DOG should be trusted 100%. I don't care if you have a teacup poodle or a Gentle Giant. Dogs can be finicky. Certain breeds more then others. And sometimes, no matter how much training you do, the point comes down to the nature of the dog, the breeding process, and what the dogs were originally bred for.

I have fostered, adopted out, trained dogs, volunteered at shelters long enough to know that certain dogs are just not suitable for families with kids. Or a person who is afraid to take control of the dog. A couple who works all day. Or take on a breed that tends to be vicious without a firm hand.

My dog is 7 years old and is part lab/golden. I never saw a mean streak in him. Until last year..............a strange man came to my door. Usually he is all excited because he loves people. For some reason my dog did NOT like this strange man at my door. He stood there, at the front door, with his teeth bared growling at this man, and he did not allow me to go near that door. That is the ONLY time I have ever seen any type of aggression from him towards anyone. And whoever this man was , my dog did NOT approve. He was protecting me from the stranger. Again, my dog has always loved everyone. And I mean everyone. But do I trust him 100%? No. Because he is a dog. Would he ever hurt me or one of my kids. Chances are slim. Could it happen? Of course.

Most of the time the saying is true. There are no such thing as bad dogs, only bad owners. But I have seen the bad dogs with the good owners. Sadly, on one to many ocassions.

:001_huh: Hey, no need to get defensive. Dogs and humans speak different languages. Dogs are REALLY good at reading humans because they are visual, sensory animals. Humans are not so good at reading dogs. It's just the way it is. But believe what you want, and feel free to disagree. Wont' hurt my feelings any.

astrid

I agree with everything you said. Totally. In over 2 decades working with dogs professionally I've never seen a dog "turn on it's owner" with no warning. I've seen plenty of dogs that I felt were dangerous, that the owner's refused to acknowledge were a problem, until it finally bit them. At which point they told everyone they knew that there was "no warning. " Ugh.

This. Totally.

astrid

Oh, I'm loving this thread. I'm such a dog nut. My allergies have gotten so bad over the last few years that I'm now restricted to the so-called "hypoallergenic" breeds.

We currently have a standard poodle who is the love of my life. :D He, um, is a little too fluffy and pretty to look scary. But he is very watchful, and incredibly smart and good-natured.

Love Shepherds... Jann, your white Shepherds just melt my heart every time!!

I'm also adoring the cake-eating Cleo the Dane (she looked quite traumatized and I'm sure she'd do it again given half a chance), the chess playing Shepherd, and the kitten-sitting boxer.

And honestly... I will agree that a black lab, while it will probably be a big lovey-bear, will scare the pants off the average person walking down the street. I don't know what it is, but black dogs just look terrifying.

I haven't gone through all of the responses, but we have two dogs - a boxer and a rottie/lab mix - and I trust our rottie mix with the kids much more than the boxer. He had the misguided opinion as a puppy that he was top dog in the entire family and almost bit both our children and was *this* close to being sent to a local boxer rescue. It took some intense time and training to get him to understand who's the boss around here. The rottie mix was a rescue dog and she is so incredibly gentle with the kids, but she looks intimidating. She's even had the poor ups guy backed up to the door one day.

Rotties have a bad reputation but that's from bad trainers taking advantage of their instinct to guard their pack (their family). They really do make good family dogs because they are so watchful and protecting.

If you go for the German Shepherd, make sure you research the breeder because there are so many hip and elbow problems with the breed. You'd need to find a breeder who has certified their dogs in regards to hip displaysia, otherwise you'll potentially have serious vet bills. Personally, I'd find a mix, like a GS/lab or even a GS/rottie mix because you'll have the best traits of both breeds, with less health issues.

Good luck!

Has anybody suggested Great Pyreneese. We got one from a shelter. Everyone.e thinks she is absolutely beautiful with her long white fur but are hesitant to approach because of size. She is 110 lbs and has a deep bark. Ours is very skittish and hides out under dds bed. UT does bark when anything is out of the ordinary. I always know when a storm is coming by her actions. She notices everything, a must for sheepdogs, even to point of being hesitant to walk through a newly painted room. She is great with kids and all other animals. Wild ran its allow her to get within biting distance which never happens with our beagle mix. She has never had issues with cats,dogs, or squirrels. She is very stubborn though. I am told this is usually the case with this breed. She doesn't require lots of activity and eats less than our lab. Her coat doesn't shed as much as labs but does need brushing to keep tangles at bay. She can go longer between baths than our beagle who smells within two days of bathing. We wash her weekly. She is calm inside at all times unless there is a storm. Never has she jumped on anyone. If she wants petted she lays her head softly on your lap. I would highly recommend this breed.