Menu

Bossy neighbor calling about our wills

My bossy neighbor has been our friend for years. She has helped in good times and in bad and currently does our taxes for us. She does seem a little "crazy" sometimes. With our last income tax preparation, she charged us $150 vs $100 in previous years. She announced that for the extra $50 she will write our last will and testaments for us this year (we previously indicated that our wills were not up to date).

Since our tax return has been completed, "Beth" has called us and almost demanded we come over immediately to discuss this will!

"Beth; "You WILL come over at 5 to discuss who will get your Jewelry and kitchen appliances! " And: "Who will be responsible or those cats?????"

I feel like I am being bossed by this neighbor even though I am no longer in her employ! How or what do I say to get her to ease off of us?

Edited by CarolfromIL

"Hey Beth, I forgot to tell you but we're taking care of our wills on our own. Thanks so much for getting us to think about such an important thing." Then follow through and take care of it.

:iagree:

She sounds like an incredibly nervy and nosy woman to me! :glare:

My bossy neighbor has been our friend for years. She has helped in good times and in bad and currently does our taxes for us. She does seem a little "crazy" sometimes. With our last income tax preparation, she charged us $150 vs $100 in previous years. She announced that for the extra $50 she will write our last will and testaments for us this year (we previously indicated that our wills were not up to date).

Since our tax return has been completed, "Beth" has called us and almost demanded we come over immediately to discuss this will!

"Beth; "You WILL come over at 5 to discuss who will get your Jewelry and kitchen appliances! " And: "Who will be responsible or those cats?????"

I feel like I am being bossed by this neighbor even though I am no longer in her employ! How or what do I say to get her to ease off of us?

IMO she sounds like she wants your jewelry and appliances BUT wants someone else to take care of the cats. My question, how old are you in relation to the cats? Is she afraid the cats will outlive you?:001_huh:

IMO she sounds like she wants your jewelry and appliances BUT wants someone else to take care of the cats. My question, how old are you in relation to the cats? Is she afraid the cats will outlive you?:001_huh:

:iagree:

She totally has her eye on your toaster, and I'll bet she's gunning for your blender, as well. :D

And never leave her alone with your cats. ;)

Well the strange thing is she is in her late 50's while my husband and I are i our mid-30's! I don't get her strange obsession with who will care for our cats... And it is like she is inferring that she not only wants to write the will---but be a part of it! Yikes!

What qualifies her to write wills? Is she an attorney or paralegal? If not, then she has no business writing your wills!

Mary

:iagree: If she's not an attorney, she cannot prepare your wills. In most states, that would constitute the unauthorized practice of law.

Eta, I see you are in Illinois.

Edited by wapiti

I attribute the crazy behavior of bossy neighbors, stroller moms and dinner guests to the super moon which is allegedly occurring tonight but cannot be verified here because of the clouds . . .:lol:

simple - tell her bluntly you will be having a lisenced estate attorney prepare your wills. (and have someone else do your taxes next year.)

is she perhaps desperate for money since she charges for these things?

How many cats are we talking about here? Do you think she has something nefarious in mind for them?

:D

. . . . is her name . . .:scared: cruella?

Edited by gardenmom5

I would tell her you changed your mind on the wills.

On a side note why do some think that only a lawyer can draw up a will? You can buy a $50 program from quicken to make your own that is perfectly legal.

You can also find forms online - but those are diy. this woman wants to do it "for them", AND be paid for it. that is not the same as a diy.

diy are fine for a very basic and straightforward will.

Well the strange thing is she is in her late 50's while my husband and I are i our mid-30's!

Huh. I thought you were 47 - actually 48, now.

How do I address Pastors daughter? Jenny our Pastors daughter is being ordained as minister of word

and sacrament at the church. Jenny grew up in the church and I have known her since she was little. Now that she is going off to her own church, how do I refer to her when we speak? She is only 25 while I am 47. Would I call her Pastor O'Brien now? Rev. Jennifer or maybe just Miss Jenny? What's appropriate? I was so nervous seeing her last week I made a small curtsey like I normally do to her father. Thanks for any suggestions.

Well, that's odd. :confused::confused::confused:

I'm 48 and would like to be in my mid-thirties, but I don't think this is the same thing. :glare:

OK, Carol -- spill it! Is there really a crazy neighbor, or are you just toying with us for giggles? Because a few things don't appear to be adding up here, and I'm wondering what's up.

Oh boy...the crazies are just coming out of the woodwork.!!

Tell her you have an attorney on the matter....take your taxes to H &R block or even better, the local accountant ( who will probably charge less). And smile and wave when you see her. Nosy, bossy neighbors can make lots of noisy, bossy trouble. Just make yourself REAL busy!

Well, that's odd. :confused::confused::confused:

I'm 48 and would like to be in my mid-thirties, but I don't think this is the same thing. :glare:

OK, Carol -- spill it! Is there really a crazy neighbor, or are you just toying with us for giggles? Because a few things don't appear to be adding up here, and I'm wondering what's up.

Hahahahaha:auto::auto::auto:

Shaking head and :001_huh:.....the crazies are coming! The crazies are coming!!!

:iagree: And I wouldn't pay her; her behavior has really crossed a line here.

"Hey Beth, I forgot to tell you but we're taking care of our wills on our own. Thanks so much for getting us to think about such an important thing." Then follow through and take care of it.

On a side note why do some think that only a lawyer can draw up a will? You can buy a $50 program from quicken to make your own that is perfectly legal.

You cannot write a will for another person unless you are an attorney, because that would be practicing law. You can write one for yourself using a computer program, however (just as you can represent yourself in court, but no other person except an attorney can represent you in court).

You get points for the good catch.

It must be the full moon...

I *heart* crazies. They provide such a nice break from having to figure out what writing program I'm going to use next year. :001_smile:

Shh. Let it continue. This is way better than what I'm supposed to be doing on here. Maybe we can start talking about turning our mom cars into taxis again. That was a lot of fun!

Edited by aggieamy

There are a few people on here with MAJOR inconsistencies.......

I *heart* crazies. They provide such a nice break from having to figure out what writing program I'm going to use next year. :001_smile:

Shh. Let it continue. This is way better than what I'm supposed to be doing on here. Maybe we can start talking about turning our mom cars into taxis again. That was a lot of fun!