Menu

what did you tell you husband when he asked, "What do you want for mother's Day?"

A gift certificate/money for a person(s) to come and thoroughly clean my house from top to bottom.

He asked and I said, "I want money to hire a housecleaner person come and clean this house from top to bottom." to which he responded, "I don't have $2000 dollars."

But, he is giving me $100 for this!!!

Edited by mhg
added

He hasn't asked, but that is because he knows the answer: I don't want anything for Mother's day. In fact, I'm working on Mother's day. So, actually, I might like him to bring me some lunch.

Usually, we take such occasions to buy something we need for the house. I appreciate those gifts a whole lot more than ones just for me. ;)

I can never say I want anything- or even hint at it- because my husband, sweet as he is, will have it for me the next day! I made the mistake of telling him I was thinking about a Kindle for school books, and he came home with an iPad!!! (A combination 10th anniversary, Mother's day, birthday present)

My birthday and Mother's Day are always close to each other, so he asks.

Last night, actually. He asked what my top three things were that I wanted, and I answered with:

1. An elliptical machine

2. A trip somewhere awesome

3. More time in my day

He just grinned and said that I always ask for expensive stuff, but that I managed to top even myself this year with asking for something priceless!

(And no, I will not receive any of those things; he asked what I wanted. I'll probably receive some electronic gizmo that I'll insist I don't need and then find myself completely dependent upon a year from now.)

I tell him to have my little boys pick out some sort of flowers (either hanging baskets or pots etc. Not cut, so they last longer.) I love the crazy combos they pick out. Last year I got two baskets, one for each side of the porch (according to the kids). One boy picked light pink, the other picked out this flaming orange color. :lol: Totally clashed, but I loved it. Another year, one gave me white flowers in a pink pot, the other gave me red flowers in an orange and blue pot. :D One day I may have matching flowers.....

He didn't ask... but I told him (and the kids) that I wanted to go to the local Jazz on the Lawn the night before, as a family. And that I need all of their help setting up for the clothing give away at church. So we will do those things :) I expect him to cook something yummy to take to Jazz too.

My kids always go to my favorite greenhouse and get me perennials for my garden. I love seeing what they pick year after year.

Otoh, my birthday is coming up and if he's foolish enough to ask he's going to get a list as long as my arm and he can pick one.

What I really want is a turnout for my newest pony.

I told him and the kids the same thing--breakfast in bed. They did that last year, and the girls were so beside themselves with happiness to do it for me, they could barely sit still. I also asked him for a night or two in a cheap hotel by myself to recharge and plan and have a sort of retreat, and he agreed it was a good idea, but I don't know if I'll actually go through with that one!

Before the subject of Mother's Day even came up, I surprised my husband with a gift -- an airline ticket, rental car reservation, and two-night stay at a lovely bed and breakfast. You see, I'm sending him to see *his* mother, who will be seventy-three this year.

Long ago, my son and I saw a movie in which a character lamented that mothers gain sons when their daughters marry but lose sons when their sons marry. Later, I pointed out that this observation was somewhat true for his grandmother: Mr. M-mv and I had moved three thousand miles away when my son was only seven months old, and though we moved partway back, we are still more than a thousand miles from our childhood homes.

"You won't lose *me*," my son assured me.

"Oh, don't make promises yet, sweetie. When you find the right partner, you must invest in *your* dreams -- wherever they take you."

"I will always make time to see you, Mom."

And I believe he would have.

With another Mother's Day approaching, I couldn't help but remember his child-like promise. What a gift it would have been to spend time with my adult son -- walking in companionable silence, perhaps, wandering through a bookstore, sharing a good meal.

My mother-in-law, one of the finest women I have ever met, was *so* excited when she learned her son was coming "home" to see her, which, in turn, deeply touched my husband.

That was gift enough for me.

Before the subject of Mother's Day even came up, I surprised my husband with a gift -- an airline ticket, rental car reservation, and two-night stay at a lovely bed and breakfast. You see, I'm sending him to see *his* mother, who will be seventy-three this year.

Long ago, my son and I saw a movie in which a character lamented that mothers gain sons when their daughters marry but lose sons when their sons marry. Later, I pointed out that this observation was somewhat true for his grandmother: Mr. M-mv and I had moved three thousand miles away when my son was only seven months old, and though we moved partway back, we are still more than a thousand miles from our childhood homes.

"You won't lose *me*," my son assured me.

"Oh, don't make promises yet, sweetie. When you find the right partner, you must invest in *your* dreams -- wherever they take you."

"I will always make time to see you, Mom."

And I believe he would have.

With another Mother's Day approaching, I couldn't help but remember his child-like promise. What a gift it would have been to spend time with my adult son -- walking in companionable silence, perhaps, wandering through a bookstore, sharing a good meal.

My mother-in-law, one of the finest women I have ever met, was *so* excited when she learned her son was coming "home" to see her, which, in turn, deeply touched my husband.

That was gift enough for me.

:thumbup1: That is so sweet. I never had the chance to meet my MIL but I am sure she would have loved a visit from her adult sons.