Menu

DS7 scratched up neighbor's brand new car

I would never ask anyone to ask their insurance to pay it if it were my fault. That puts an "incident" on their insurance's list that goes against them. Not only that, it unfairly makes their insurance pay part of the cost for the repair. I think that is unethical.

If the OP asked her insurance, car or homeowner's, that would make sense. I'm not sure her car insurance would cover, since it wasn't her vehicle that did the damage. This would properly fall under her homeowner's insurance, but there may be some reason why they wouldn't cover it, and her deductible may be higher than $500 anyway.

my two cents' worth...

Comprehensive coverage is designed to cover damage to the vehicle from anything not collision related (at least, it is on my policy). How is using the insurance that they pay for unethical?

But, I'd never demand/insist that they file a comprehensive claim... It's their vehicle, they are in charge of the repair.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comprehensive coverage is designed to cover damage to the vehicle from anything not collision related (at least, it is on my policy). How is using the insurance that they pay for unethical?

But, I'd never demand/insist that they file a comprehensive claim... It's their vehicle, they are in charge of the repair.

The problem is that it is a black mark on THEIR insurance if they file a claim when the OP's kid did the damage. They weren't involved or even in the car. Any and all incidents on one's record raises insurance premiums and if you get enough hits, you will be canceled.

You only contact insurance for catastrophic incidents, not minor ones. The OP has offered to pay, and that should settle it.

You're kidding, right? :confused:

It's a brand new car. :001_huh:

I'm thinking that if the neighbor paid the price for a brand new car, they should get to keep it looking like new for as long as possible, and the kid down the street shouldn't get to take that away and expect not to fix it. That does not mean the neighbor likes their stuff more than anything else. What a strange judgment to make.

:iagree:

Thats outrageous. I would never ask someone to pay that for a scratch on a car.

I would not ask my kid to pay either, bc thats too much. He could never earn that or save it in any length of time.

I guess you are stuck, but I wouldnt let my kid anywhere near that person's property bc clearly they like their stuff more than anything else.

Umm....I don't value my stuff more than anything else but if my neighbor's kid roles up in the driveway and scratches my brand new $35K Odyssey then heck yes they need to fix it. I don't do leases to drive scratched up cars. We keep our stuff nice for a reason. I learned that you should value you tangibles in an effort to respect the hard work that earned them. This does not sound like a surface scratch that can be buffed out and they will need it to be fixed to prevent rust. Who should pay for it?

Some teenage moron thought it would be fun to sit on the roof level of a six story parking garage and throw down empty beer bottles at passing cars. :glare: I was the lucky hit. There was a TINY dent which I didn't ven care about because it is on the roof of my SUV. When it started to rust, though, I couldn't ignore it. My car is only a year old.

How much do you think it cost to paint that teeny, tiny scratch, less than half an inch, and fill in that teeny, tiny dent, which was pretty much unnoticeable? Over $250.

I am not surprised by the estimate you speak of. Also, some paint colors are more expensive to repair.

I think it would be good for your son to do some yardwork and/or chores fo your neighbor, maybe even some for you!

I wouldn't know what to do in this situation, but I just had to give a :grouphug: because I have cringed everytime I read this thread title today. Sounds like something my son would do and I feel for how frustrated you must be.

the estimate sounds right

I'd pay it and I'd take the scooter for a little while.

I would be annoyed the new car was parked on the street where a kid would ride the scooter rather than drive way or garage. Perhaps this could happen if you live in a townhouse with parking spaces, but the assigned spaces in my townhome community are mostly arranged so that such an accident would be unlikely.

It's unethical for insurance to partially pay for a repair? Really? That's what insurance is for, IMO! <shrug>

Just to be clear, I said that it would be unethical to ask her neighbor's insurance to pay for damages since the OP's son was the person "at fault."

This isn't a case of vandalism where the perp is unknown (insurance generally covers that kind of damage) and they also may have coverage for uninsured motorists if you pay for it: it's an itemized risk that they plan for.

The insurance company will usually try to recover damages from whichever party is at fault, as that's who should pay for things.

If there is no fault, or if it's just "one of those things" that happens, then one's own insurance will often pay for the damages after the ded.

As far as legally, it may or may not be your responsibility to cover your child's mistake. Of course, being a good neighbor, you will. I would think that's within $100 of the other estimates you might receive. My son did "art" on my van door twice..... URGH :( But... in a few years, this too will pass :)

Asking the neighbor to file a claim with their insurance and to "take the hit" for it on their insurance, in effect asking their company to pay for something the OP's son did, would, TO ME, be unethical for me to do. It would be asking the neighbor's insurance to pay for damage my kid caused.

He was riding his scooter too close to the vehicle and left a long scratch. (He was specifically warned NOT to go near the car.):glare:

DH and I offered to pay for it. It looks like our homeowner's insurance is not going to cover it, so we will have to pay for it out of pocket.

Today the neighbor gave me the written estimate from the collision shop: $547. My question is: does this sound reasonable? Should we make sure they have gotten multiple estimates or bring someone out to do our own? We've never been in this situation, so any advice is appreciated.

Also, should we get DS to help pay for it? Obviously, earning the money to pay for all of it would take a prohibitively long time, but I want him to learn a valuable lesson about taking responsibility. Right now he has no remorse whatsoever. :(

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jen

I weighed in up above in the thread on what I see as a black and white issue about insurance paying for things. I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry for what happened, and that I feel for you and your kid as you walk through this. My kids have done some bone-headed things, too. (And dh and I have, as well!!)

I know you will find the right mix in this teachable moment--balancing restitution and grace--and that this will be something you laugh about in the future, when your son has grown up to be a wise, honest, and responsible man that you are proud of. : )

Grace and peace to you and yours.

I would never ask anyone to ask their insurance to pay it if it were my fault. That puts an "incident" on their insurance's list that goes against them. Not only that, it unfairly makes their insurance pay part of the cost for the repair. I think that is unethical.

If the OP asked her insurance, car or homeowner's, that would make sense. I'm not sure her car insurance would cover, since it wasn't her vehicle that did the damage. This would properly fall under her homeowner's insurance, but there may be some reason why they wouldn't cover it, and her deductible may be higher than $500 anyway.

my two cents' worth...

And I applaud the OP for offering to pay.

Guest submarines
Oh, and I agree that I would NOT ask my 7 y/o to help them with small chores. In all honesty, having a 7 y/o over to "help" out sounds like a total pain in the you-know-where. Although it was a well-meaning suggestion, in the end it really only more of a nuisance for the family who is already inconvenienced by needing to take in their brand-new car for estimates, go without it for it for a day or two while it's being repaired, etc. Now they have the added task of finding appropriate chores for the neighbor kid to do for them? No thanks!

Body work done well is crazy expensive so that price does not seem out there.

:iagree: Honestly, this is about the minimum amount you're going to pay to have body work done.

I would punish the 7 year old. But I don't think I would go overboard. Taking the scooter away for a while and requiring adult supervision outside is good. A written apology would be good too. A lengthy discussion about how much money it costs to fix something like that in terms he can understand would happen here.

Trusting an unsupervised 7 year old to have good judgment is risky business and sometimes you get burned. I've learned the hard way. :glare: You were right on to offer to pay for it.

I have been in this same situation before. The car was on the street, dd5 was riding a bike, she misjudged.

I went to the people and offered to pay for it. They declined. I even offered to wash the car before they made the decision, so they knew exactly what had happened they laughed (kindly) said no thanks, don't worry about it.

Had they given me a $500 bill, a week later....yep, I would have been miffed at my kid, but happily paid it.

BUT!!! I would only pay a fully licensed body shop (and keep the receipt), I would not pay the person directly. I wouldn't want them to take the money and then decide to not get it fixed....or have them just get it buffed out and keep the difference.

The price doesn't seem unreasonable and I agree that it needs to be paid...however....(donning flame retardant suit) I think it would be unreasonable to expect a 7 year old to fully comprehend the price of this consequence.

He's 7...so first grade? It was an accident and while he should have obeyed and not been near the neighbor's car, (and a consequence, imo, should be given for his not listening to you) I wouldn't expect him to take responsibility for d amaging the neighbor's car.

I know my opinion will be in the minority here...

Maybe he shouldn't be allowed out front by himself anymore until he's a little older?

I would not ask my kid to pay either, bc thats too much. He could never earn that or save it in any length of time.

I guess you are stuck, but I wouldnt let my kid anywhere near that person's property bc clearly they like their stuff more than anything else.

So, you wouldn't feel at all responsible if you child damaged someone's else's property? It's not about what they like more, it's about the fact that their property was damaged and the right thing to do is to make them whole again.

Unfortunately good body work does not come cheap, the estimate is probably reasonable for the damage done.

Guest submarines
I do wish reading comp was stressed here.

I would not ask that of my neighbor.

I would pay.

:iagree: I'd do the same, unless I was certain the scratch was malicious.

I do wish reading comp was stressed here.

I would not ask that of my neighbor.

I would pay.

I don't think reading comprehension is the issue. The last statement of your first post was

" but I wouldnt let my kid anywhere near that person's property bc clearly they like their stuff more than anything else".

That is a harsh judgement against someone (anyone) who wishes to maintain the condition of an item they presumably worked hard to obtain. Being willing to forgo compensation for damage to your own property is your right and choice. Judging others for doing the same is something else entirely. I think the reading comprehension of those that read and responded to your post is just fine.

Guest submarines
I don't think reading comprehension is the issue. The last statement of your first post was

" but I wouldnt let my kid anywhere near that person's property bc clearly they like their stuff more than anything else".

That is a harsh judgement against someone (anyone) who wishes to maintain the condition of an item they presumably worked hard to obtain. Being willing to forgo compensation for damage to your own property is your right and choice. Judging others for doing the same is something else entirely. I think the reading comprehension of those that read and responded to your post is just fine.

It is not just about judgement, but also about protecting oneself from further issues. What if I let my child on their property, and my child accidentally scratches something else? :tongue_smilie:

It is not just about judgement, but also about protecting oneself from further issues. What if I let my child on their property, and my child accidentally scratches something else? :tongue_smilie:

I agree. The sentence in question contains two separate ideas. First, reducing one's liability by restricting access to property that could potentially be damaged. Second, assuming that because someone desires compensation for property damage they care more about their stuff than about anything else. The first idea I find very appropriate and realistic. The second, not so much.

BUT!!! I would only pay a fully licensed body shop (and keep the receipt), I would not pay the person directly. I wouldn't want them to take the money and then decide to not get it fixed....or have them just get it buffed out and keep the difference.

According to small claims court on tv (guilty pleasure of mine :) ) when your car is damaged and you rightfully deserve the money for repair, you can choose not to have it repaired and keep the money.

Guest submarines
I agree. The sentence in question contains two separate ideas. First, reducing one's liability by restricting access to property that could potentially be damaged. Second, assuming that because someone desires compensation for property damage they care more about their stuff than about anything else. The first idea I find very appropriate and realistic. The second, not so much.

You don't agree that a person who desires compensation for property damage places high value on their property? :confused:

:iagree: Right and *I* don't get where it came from because the neighbor didn't ask them to pay, they offered. So why the rant against the neighbor?:confused:

You don't agree that a person who desires compensation for property damage places high value on their property? :confused:
The quote, again, was "but I wouldnt let my kid anywhere near that person's property bc clearly they like their stuff more than anything else".

Why is it inconceivable that someone wishes to maintain the value of their property, but doesn't necessarily place that value above everything else? I see a lot of ground between disregarding all damage and demanding a pound of flesh.

According to small claims court on tv (guilty pleasure of mine :) ) when your car is damaged and you rightfully deserve the money for repair, you can choose not to have it repaired and keep the money.

I'm not being snarky, just continuing the conversation....:001_smile:

Sure, they can request that, and legally they would be in the right....but I would still push back and insist on paying the shop directly. They could take me to court if they wanted to. :D I also think that in that circumstance, the child's family could just say.....use your own insurance, it was an accident that occurred on the car owner's property (as far as I remember from the story). I don't think the boys family is legally liable in this case (morally yes, but not legally).

I didn't think you were.....

I just think a lot of people don't realize that if you legally owe someone for car damage they can choose to keep the dent or scratch or whatever and use the money any way they wish.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Does the scratch extend over more than one panel of the car? Like, the door and the front end, or something?

I once scraped my uncle's brand new truck. I mean, it didn't even have 100 miles on it yet. It was $1400, but luckily the insurance covered most of it and I was only out $400. I was a penniless college student and gladly paid up. To this day I wince at the sight of an indigo Toyota Tacoma.

I think if you mess up a brand-new car, you gotta pay for it. Big-girl panties and all.

Sure, they can request that, and legally they would be in the right....but I would still push back and insist on paying the shop directly. They could take me to court if they wanted to. :D I also think that in that circumstance, the child's family could just say.....use your own insurance, it was an accident that occurred on the car owner's property (as far as I remember from the story). I don't think the boys family is legally liable in this case (morally yes, but not legally).

Paying the shop directly would work fine, she could just say they prefer to charge it since it was more than cash they had...no worries there...absolutely, the parents of the child are legally and morally responsible.

So if I was your neighbor, mowing my yard and a rock slung into your large picture window, you wouldn't expect me to pay for it? Or I rear ended you, you wouldn't expect me to pay for damages? I think you would. Damages are damages accident or no accident. Someone will have to pay to repair it.

A child can easily help around someones home to help say they are sorry; a sort of retribution. Especially when said child was previously warned. It is important that the situation be presented to the child in what if it was their favorite item that was broken by another child after that child was warned to leave it alone...young children can see things better when related more to their level.

I know it feels very "ouch" to you. I'm so sorry. What a total bummer.

I would imagine that there are places where maybe it could be done a little cheaper, but I would be reluctant to ask my neighbor to spend any more time getting estimates. I know I would be annoyed if I were expected to spend the time to get several estimates to save someone else a little money. Plus, I would want them to go with a place they chose, even if it's not the cheapest (but not, obviously, if it's unreasonably expensive).

This. Body work is very expensive. And if they chose to take the money and spend it on something else, fine. I'd just let it go to keep the peace. I would not force them to get another estimate, and I would not tell them I would only pay for it if I paid it directly to the body shop.

I wouldn't tell my son he had to pay (seems a little impossible, to me!), but I would have him do something else. Maybe write a note of apology, and have him give it to them in person, or something like that.

The boy should hand over the scooter to the neighbor as part of his apology (can you ask the neighbor ahead of time if they can be cool with this, and take the scooter to stick in their garage for the time being). Kid only gets scooter back when car is fixed AND both you and neighbor agree he can have it.

No. Not really. I just wouldnt feel ok with taking money unless you really really insisted. I just feel like that would damage the relationship.

I dont actually have a picture window. If your kid was playing with mine and they together broke my window I wouldnt ask you for 1/2 the bill.

If you threw a rock through my window Id feel differently.

If I were the one with the damaged new car, I think it would ruin my relationship with you, if you didn't offer to pay for it.

I agree. That's what my insurance is for. I would feel horrible asking someone to pay that much for a scratch on a freaking car. Scratches happen. Accidents happen. Maybe if it was a cheap fix, but that's an outrageous amount of money!

No. Not really. I just wouldnt feel ok with taking money unless you really really insisted. I just feel like that would damage the relationship. A good friendship shouldn't be strained over the things like that. Someone damages something, that person should pay. If you go into a store and break something, they would expect you to pay-sometimes they won't, but it's appropriate to do so.

I dont actually have a picture window. Hypothetically speaking...I don't know what you have. If your kid was playing with mine and they together broke my window I wouldnt ask you for 1/2 the bill.

If you threw a rock through my window Id feel differently.

but essentially the child in question damaged it after being warned...it's like going ahead and throwing that rock or ball or whatever near that window, even after being warned about not doing it...

I weighed in up above in the thread on what I see as a black and white issue about insurance paying for things. I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry for what happened, and that I feel for you and your kid as you walk through this. My kids have done some bone-headed things, too. (And dh and I have, as well!!)

I know you will find the right mix in this teachable moment--balancing restitution and grace--and that this will be something you laugh about in the future, when your son has grown up to be a wise, honest, and responsible man that you are proud of. : )

Grace and peace to you and yours.

Thank you Valerie and the rest of you for your kind words. We took ds to neighbors to apologize and he couldn't do it. (too embarassed, he was really red and couldn't look anyone in the eye, so at least I know he does have some shame) DH and I are still deciding upon the consequences. The scooter he was riding was actually a friend's, so we will probably put away his bike instead, and find him some work to do over the summer. I like the idea of having him be responsible for paying 10% of the bill; I think that would be a realistic goal to shoot for by the end of summer.

It has been frustrating dealing with the neighbors as they have not been communicating clearly with us. If they gave us a receipt today we would gladly (ok not so gladly but willingly) write them a check. For some reason the mom is doing the communicating and she does not seem to know what's going on. I had to call their collision repair guy myself and talk to him about the estimate and how long he expected their vehicle to be in the shop. He told me at least 5 days and yes they seem to be expecting us to pay rental car fees although she didn't come out and ask me that when she called. Now I'm not sure if they expect me to contact the car rental places myself or what. I know this is going to sound stereotypical but I really feel like the husbands (hers and mine) need to step up and resolve this. However that does not seem like it's going to happen so I get to sort all this out myself. :glare:

About the insurance- this is what our agent told me. Our homeowners policy MAY cover it but 1) our claim would be under the deductible of 1% of the home's value and 2) it would be a liability claim and be on our record for 5 years, during which it would be almost impossible for us to change insurances, because no insurance company would underwrite us. So we are definitely paying out of pocket.

Our relationship with our neighbors is important to us since this is a relatively tight-knit cul-de-sac and although we are the newcomers everyone seems to watch out for each other here. I am so thankful our neighbors are Christians and seem to also want to do the right thing and don't feel the need to involve police and insurance, which would've escalated this situation way beyond what it is now. It's uncomfortable, awkward and a bit of a financial blow to our family, but 'this too shall pass!'

About the insurance- this is what our agent told me. Our homeowners policy MAY cover it but 1) our claim would be under the deductible of 1% of the home's value and 2) it would be a liability claim and be on our record for 5 years, during which it would be almost impossible for us to change insurances, because no insurance company would underwrite us. So we are definitely paying out of pocket.

I would never use my homeowners insurance for anything other than a catastrophe......in CA we had a fence claim after a major storm, no problem there, then I had two bathrooms leaking and only had someone come look cause I was naive and didn't really know if it was covered or not. They said nope, and all seemed fine until we were dropped completely. I will never understand how they consider the last two an actual claim. They insisted on coming to look so I didn't even know they would count them as such.

It has been frustrating dealing with the neighbors as they have not been communicating clearly with us. If they gave us a receipt today we would gladly (ok not so gladly but willingly) write them a check. For some reason the mom is doing the communicating and she does not seem to know what's going on. I had to call their collision repair guy myself and talk to him about the estimate and how long he expected their vehicle to be in the shop. He told me at least 5 days and yes they seem to be expecting us to pay rental car fees although she didn't come out and ask me that when she called. Now I'm not sure if they expect me to contact the car rental places myself or what. I know this is going to sound stereotypical but I really feel like the husbands (hers and mine) need to step up and resolve this. However that does not seem like it's going to happen so I get to sort all this out myself. :glare:

!'

:svengo:I would pay the bodywork, But no way would I be paying the rental of another car. That seams unreasonable To me. rental cars here are over $100 per day.

:svengo:I would pay the bodywork, But no way would I be paying the rental of another car. That seams unreasonable To me. rental cars here are over $100 per day.

So how does the driver get to/from work, etc, while the car is in the shop?

Wait a minute! Why in the world would a driveable car have to be in the shop 5 days for a paint job? I might pay one day for a rental car while they actually do the work but a week? No way. I would take them a check for the amount they quoted you originally for the work. I would also take a paper saying that you satisfied your responsibility for the damage and ask them to sign it. I would be apologetic and say that you need it for your records and you are sure they would understand since you all want to be good neighbors to each other. I did this in the past when I hit someone's car. They were happy that I paid promptly and without fuss and understood that I needed some protection as well.

The collision shop guy told me how they had to sand, use some kind of filler, primer, and some number of layers of paint and each step had to dry. I thought it sounded like a lot because the written estimate only included 2.5 hours of labor.

If anyone has had a major (24 inch) scratch repaired (totally repaired not just buffed) can you give me an idea of how long it took?

I agree. That's what my insurance is for. I would feel horrible asking someone to pay that much for a scratch on a freaking car. Scratches happen. Accidents happen. Maybe if it was a cheap fix, but that's an outrageous amount of money!

If it happened to our car, there's no way I'd make somebody pay, especially something cosmetic like that.

If it was my kid, though, I'd pay for it.

A rental car? That's outrageous...the car is still driveable for crying out loud.

P.S. I'm pretty sure Judge Judy doesn't usually make defendants pay for rental cars in situations like this. She seems to treat that the same way she treats "lost wages" and "pain and suffering." Yes, JJ is my one courtroom show vice.:tongue_smilie: