Menu

What to do when you and your spouse are totally opposite when it comes to

He is willing to work at it and I am not (unless I can eat it.) So, he wins.

This is me and my dh - except I'm the one working on the yard. He has talked of big plans for the un-landscaped portion of the yard, but it's definitely not a priority for either his extra money or time, so the chickens get free run back there :)

Jean, I can't remember which zone you live in, but Better Homes and Gardens magazine has lots of rocky type landscape with beautiful colors, not English garden per se, but colorful. I also really like Sunset magazine for landscaping ideas. This one is published for different zones. My dad gets the southwest mag and it has beautiful ideas.

I got really lucky. We live in the desert, so we have a xeroscaped front yard with beautiful plants that bloom 3-4 times a year, lots of yellows, oranges and purples. Our back yard is partially grass (well, what we call grass for the desert-you'd probably call it crab grass) and a large patio with desert landscaping around. We need low maintanence because I value my marriage more than a dumb old lawn. The fighting over yard work, namely him not doing it and me worrying about losing toddlers in the waist high grass, was getting too much. We have a nice compromise now.

HTH

Google one thing at a time. For example, I was looking at square foot gardening photos to see how people arranged their gardens. As I looked at a lot of those, narrowing down what I liked, I also realized that I really liked a particular type of fence (totally unrelated to the SFG). As I went on to look at fencing sites, I also realized that I preferred certain colors of flowers. As I looked at types of flowers, I also realized I liked certain types of pots.... You get the idea.

I hope you find something you can both agree on! If all else fails, maybe one can landscape the front and the other the back?

In our case, DH gets to choose what to do in the front yard, and I get to choose the back yard. He's more concerned about keeping a neat and tidy appearance, and I want space for a garden and edible landscape and trying new things. Dividing it this way has worked well for us.

Google one thing at a time. For example, I was looking at square foot gardening photos to see how people arranged their gardens. As I looked at a lot of those, narrowing down what I liked, I also realized that I really liked a particular type of fence (totally unrelated to the SFG). As I went on to look at fencing sites, I also realized that I preferred certain colors of flowers. As I looked at types of flowers, I also realized I liked certain types of pots.... You get the idea.

I hope you find something you can both agree on! If all else fails, maybe one can landscape the front and the other the back?

I can see myself getting my ideas in that fashion!

I think that's the best plan.

In our case, DH gets to choose what to do in the front yard, and I get to choose the back yard. He's more concerned about keeping a neat and tidy appearance, and I want space for a garden and edible landscape and trying new things. Dividing it this way has worked well for us.

Dh has opinions but does almost zero work on the yards. Except for raking. He will rake.

Dh is only allowed to have a say in how the basement is decorated, since it's the man cave. He doesn't like anything I do, but when I married him, he had the weirdest collection of furniture that his mom and sister had found at house sales, like a country glider chair with teal fabric, a brass and glass coffee table, and a red leather recliner chair in the living room. He also had a giant fish made out of dimes and pennies glued to wood hanging up in the living room. At our current house, we got an old, sick tree cut down, and he wanted to get a land tortoise to live in the space where the tree was. So, anyone who thinks those things are acceptable gets no opinion in the house or yard!

Is there the possibility of dividing some of the yard? Not sure how big or the space that you have but a nice option would be both.

Have an english styled wildflower garden and make a hedge before the side or end of the yard (or bushes to make a hedge style thing) have one small gap someone could walk through into a empty zen type rock space, a little corner of the garden cut-off from the rest to meditate and relax :D

I would start be asking your DH what it is about the zen garden that speaks to him. Is it the monochromatic design (lots of green and texture but not much color), is it the sense of peace, is it the orderliness, etc. If he can express what it is about the zen garden, then maybe to can incorporate it into your style. So say it is orderliness, you could confine your bursts of color into neat beds. Suppose it is monchromatic thing, then maybe you can pick flowers that are blues and purples add color but not a riot of color.

I would try to find designs that satisfy both. Also if there is areas of the yard that you mainly use and areas that your DH mainly uses, then I would tend to emphasize your individual styles in your own spot.

Ultimately whoever plants, weeds and waters should have the most say.

I would start be asking your DH what it is about the zen garden that speaks to him.

I know what it is - it's the not having to do anything to it. He actually (gasp!) mentioned astroturf once! The kids and I do get behind on weeding. I feel like if we all pitched in together (dh too) and got the garden properly landscaped, weeded and mulched, that we wouldn't have to do as much to maintain it.

But Ecclecticmum's idea of having a small meditation garden would be nice. :001_smile:

That's what I was going to say. :)

Posting this thread made me really think about what I want - esp. right out front outside our picture window.

I've decided that I want a garden that attracts birds. The area right outside our window is a truncated triangle bordered by our main driveway and an RV driveway. Ds14 is clearing out an especially ugly huge juniper right now. Once he's done, we'll sadly have to cut down our beautiful maple tree. It is starting to grow it's roots into the foundation of the house and has seriously broken up the driveway. We have two beautiful Japanese maples that were planted in the wrong places. I'm thinking that we could transplant them to this tirangle. Maybe. I need to research how big these will get and what their roots will do so that we don't end up with the same problem I started with. One of the maples is an orangey-green color and the other one is dark purply red. I'm thinking that I could then choose some smaller plants that birds love to go around the Japanese maples. Any suggestions?

Right now all our bird feeders (we have 5) are in our big full-size maple. But once it's cut down I think I'll get some metal poles to hang the bird feeders on. And a bird bath would be fun. The kids broke the last one by accident.

Does anyone else have a garden that has gone to the birds? (I told dh what I wanted and he's decided that it is best to say "Yes Ma'am" at this point.:))

There are books that list specific plants to attract specific birds. I think I have a few, if you know which bird you want to attract I can look it up.

There are usually two elements to attracting birds. 1) plants that provide food and 2) plants/trees that provide shelter.

We've found that having evergreens, boxwood, other trees and bushes, ornamental grasses all attract birds.

Plants with seeds or berries feed birds. Coneflowers and hollies are two easy ones for seeds and berries.

If you have a shady area, you might want to consider that for your low maintenance zen garden. Plant moss and few hostas.

There are books that list specific plants to attract specific birds. I think I have a few, if you know which bird you want to attract I can look it up.

There are usually two elements to attracting birds. 1) plants that provide food and 2) plants/trees that provide shelter.

We've found that having evergreens, boxwood, other trees and bushes, ornamental grasses all attract birds.

Plants with seeds or berries feed birds. Coneflowers and hollies are two easy ones for seeds and berries.

If you have a shady area, you might want to consider that for your low maintenance zen garden. Plant moss and few hostas.

We're in the PNW so we get juncos, chickadees, nuthatches, flickers, towhees, steller jays, to name a few.

Our front yard is all pretty much full sun or mostly sun on the days when it isn't raining. I'll have to look at the back yard. I think we do have an area that is shade. But then we have to deal with a 10 year old English Springer spaniel who still has puppy ADHD. Not exactly zen like.;) (I'm glad that I typed this out because I hadn't even considered things like shade vs. sun when talking about garden design with dh before.)

Don't forget you can add some annuals like sunflowers that have lots of seeds.

My Brooklyn Botanic Garden's "Bird Gardens" says for the Pacific Coast:

Red Mulberry

Golden Currant

Huckleberries

Mexican Elderberry

Box Elder

Western Red Cedar

Western Hawthorn

Western Redbud

Western Serviceberry

Cardinal Flower

Common Beardtongue

Don't forget you can add some annuals like sunflowers that have lots of seeds.

My Brooklyn Botanic Garden's "Bird Gardens" says for the Pacific Coast:

Red Mulberry

Golden Currant

Huckleberries

Mexican Elderberry

Box Elder

Western Red Cedar

Western Hawthorn

Western Redbud

Western Serviceberry

Cardinal Flower

Common Beardtongue

To merge this thread and a previous one I had today on relaxed rigor, I've decided that it would be cool to do a "family learning project". I'm thinking that designing a bird garden would fit the bill perfectly. Researching these plants will be great for starters. Thank you.

I've seen a TV show where there was a couple like that. They divided the garden into two 'rooms' and each took care of his/her own plot. It looked really nice. The division was made with trellises which were covered in climbers on the wild side and left plain/painted on the Zen side.

Laura

Dh gets to decide on the front yard (orderly, English) and I get to decide on the back (vegetable garden, fruit trees, butterfly and bird attractors.)

We just moved into this house in August, so I'm starting to get MY garden implemented (orderly, pruned, holly bushes out and blackberries in!)

I did concede to his orderly issues by buying very nice corner braces for my raised bed garden. I built it a few weeks ago and it looks very nice...and orderly.:D

Now, since I actually do all of the work.....his front garden (which needs attention..... The house was for sale in the really high heat and the plants suffered) will have to wait until I have taken care of my priorities......:D

Dh likes the garden we have- what came with the house. I don't. For one thing, the arborvitae looks awful after the bagworms did their work before we moved in. Although he often likes cottage gardens, he somehow decided that the stark garden in front of my house looks good. I agree that it looks better than nothing but not good. ANyway, I win. Why? Because I am the gardener, I am home and he isn't, and because I know he will like the results.

Posting this thread made me really think about what I want - esp. right out front outside our picture window.

I've decided that I want a garden that attracts birds. . I'm thinking that I could then choose some smaller plants that birds love to go around the Japanese maples. Any suggestions?

Right now all our bird feeders (we have 5) are in our big full-size maple. But once it's cut down I think I'll get some metal poles to hang the bird feeders on. And a bird bath would be fun. The kids broke the last one by accident.

Does anyone else have a garden that has gone to the birds? (I told dh what I wanted and he's decided that it is best to say "Yes Ma'am" at this point.:))

Sweet man, but to honor him, I would plant a section dedicated to him...the bird bath can be a 'zen' well organized section...I'm sure the birds would appreciate it as well! :) There are some great fountain like bird baths that are very modern/Asian influenced...it would be a fun project.

I'm a big bird lover...here are my favorite plants

Cotoneaster (yes, I prounounced it cotton easter..but it's coTOEKNEEaster) a great great specimen to put in your garden.

Cotton tuft or alyssym...or both! They are great smelling!!!

Salvia (I like the purple kind)

Black eyed susans (rudbeckia) I bought one plant 4 years ago and it has spread 4 feet by 2 feet, one of the best displays of healthy color and abundance! Love them!

Shasta Daisies

Purple cone flowers (echinacea)

I also throw a butterfly bush in there and red trumpet vine for hummingbirds..just not sure if y'all have them up there?

Enjoy!!! :) Oh, this is expensive, but to show you an idea of a zen birdbath! :)

http://www.jlifeinternational.com/birdbathno_e.html

Have a great time!!

hmmmmm....I'm guessing I am the only one who likes fake grass? :D I actually bought some and laid it down in our giant playroom, along with a playset with a slide, swing etc. Indoor playground! Also had a tent and a little mini picket fence :tongue_smilie:

I was thinking of replacing the grass out part of the front of the farm with fake grass, and putting playground fencing around and a home-built playground in it. An area outside where the kids can be watched, and don't have to worry about dog poop from the dogs :D I love fake grass, but then we have had 2 acres to mow with only a whipper snipper and a normal lawnmower, we actually only got a ride-on today. So when you have been through that....fake grass seems like a miracle product :lol:

hmmmmm....I'm guessing I am the only one who likes fake grass? :D I actually bought some and laid it down in our giant playroom, along with a playset with a slide, swing etc. Indoor playground! Also had a tent and a little mini picket fence :tongue_smilie:

I was thinking of replacing the grass out part of the front of the farm with fake grass, and putting playground fencing around and a home-built playground in it. An area outside where the kids can be watched, and don't have to worry about dog poop from the dogs :D I love fake grass, but then we have had 2 acres to mow with only a whipper snipper and a normal lawnmower, we actually only got a ride-on today. So when you have been through that....fake grass seems like a miracle product :lol:

I am not introducing you to my husband. He would dump me and marry you! :D

The reality is that dh is allergic to grasses and some pollen plants. So he doesn't garden. I will have to take that into account in planting too - so no Pampas grass, for instance. So I think that motivates his desire for mossy rocks, astroturf and another one I forgot to mention - lava rock. But he does like to go to the botanical gardens with me so it's not that he doesn't appreciate the beauty of a a nice garden.

Another reality is my health. I am not the strongest person so I will need help digging out stumps, putting in rock walls and stuff of that nature. But I have a strong robust 14 year old boy now (closer to 15), so that helps. I have had two doctors now specifically prescribe "gardening" to me as something I should do to build up my body. So getting out there and mucking about is good but I have to be realistic about how fast I can be at it.

planning your garden/landscaping? I like wildly colorful English gardens. He would like a rock and some zen-like stones sprinkled around.:glare: Are there some garden sites where we could look and point out features that we like so that we might be able to come up with some kind of a compromise?

I've been thinking about your different visions, and I really think there would be a way to pull them together. (Did anyone else watch Designing for the Sexes with Michael Payne? I loved that show! He always made it work)

Consider this idea: a wide winding path of pavers or fine pebbles forming a walkway ... complete with clean lined accessories (concrete planters or minimalist benches, etc). Then, in the curves of the pathway, plantings of flowers, trees, ornamental grasses, etc. Maybe a water feature for the birds.

Here's an example:

http://www.houzz.com/photos/159756/Stanford-Garden-traditional-landscape-san-francisco

Although I would personally make the walkway a bit wider and more open. And add more flowers to better suit your vision.

If I were a bird, I would live here :001_smile:

Houzz is a great site to browse for inspiration, btw.

Edited by Kebo

I've been thinking about your different visions, and I really think there would be a way to pull them together. (Did anyone else watch Designing for the Sexes with Michael Payne? I loved that show! He always made it work)

Consider this idea: a wide winding path of pavers or fine pebbles forming a walkway ... complete with clean lined accessories (concrete planters or minimalist benches, etc). Then, in the inner curves of the pathway, plantings of flowers, trees, ornamental grasses, etc. Maybe a water feature for the birds.

Here's an example:

http://www.houzz.com/photos/159756/Stanford-Garden-traditional-landscape-san-francisco

Although I would personally make the walkway a bit wider and more open. And add more flowers to better suit your vision.

If I were a bird, I would live here :001_smile:

Houzz is a great site to browse for inspiration, btw.

Oooh, pretty! I like that a lot. I'm going to browse here for sure.

I love garden 'rooms.' Or areas. Or beds. We have some of each. Each of them can have a different personality. Maybe you can do a zen garden in a private 'enclosed' area somewhere in the yard. We name our gardens...Amy's Garden, the pool bed, the Garden of Eatin', the pond bed, the Chapel....

You might enjoy stopping by http://www.gardenweb.com especially the cottage garden forums. The busier forums also have gallery areas. Pretty eye candy and inspirations there. GW probably has a zen garden or Japanese garden forum as well. Your questions would be a good ones to post.

I do have to agree that anyone who says astroturf and garden in the same sentence doesn't get to be the designer or planner. :D

I love garden 'rooms.' Or areas. Or beds. We have some of each. Each of them can have a different personality. Maybe you can do a zen garden in a private 'enclosed' area somewhere in the yard. We name our gardens...Amy's Garden, the pool bed, the Garden of Eatin', the pond bed, the Chapel....

You might enjoy stopping by http://www.gardenweb.com especially the cottage garden forums. The busier forums also have gallery areas. Pretty eye candy and inspirations there. GW probably has a zen garden or Japanese garden forum as well. Your questions would be a good ones to post.

I do have to agree that anyone who says astroturf and garden in the same sentence doesn't get to be the designer or planner. :D

Thank you. I did go to garden web but got overwhelmed. I'll try the cottage garden forums there.

I think it would be very easy to combine the two. In the center create a small zen garden as a focal point. Add seating along the edges. Paths can lead away from this section into the beautiful, large English cottage garden which frames the zen garden.

There are many professional gardens which compartmentalize and one garden type leads to another.

Dh and I have different ideas. He likes easy maintence and I like flowers.

Our method is this. He mows the grass, so I keep that as simple as possible for him. Every thing in is ia flower bed and has a defined border.

I take care of the flowers and trimming the trees....pretty much every thing inside the flower beds. LOL

It works for us.