Menu

Would you want to know ahead of time? (Food related)

We've known this family for years - 18 years. They are coming over for dinner tonight and I'm making something that calls for stew meat. I bought one package of beef stew meat and figured I'd take a package of deer meat out of the freezer as well.

They know dh hunts. They know dh got a deer this past year. They have never said anything about being appalled about hunting or getting a deer. She is teaching a cooking science class to my middle child. When they got to the meat chapter, we all joked about dh getting a squirrel and they could cook that. She was actually willing to give it a try.

DH seems to think it will bother them. He also makes sure I never cook vegetarian for them and never fish. (We aren't vegetarian. There are just a few things we like that don't contain meat.) The only meat we know they don't like is turkey. They are meatetarians with the best of them. I'm trying to figure out if he really thinks they won't like it, be appalled that we are serving it, or if he just wants to save the venison for us.

So would you want to know?

You might want to simply ask them if they are okay with it because, "in the past, you ran into a few people that were not comfortable with it..." Something like that. Maybe she's paranoid about chronic wasting disease or something like that, and you wouldn't know unless you mentioned the deer.

What do you mean by "ahead of time"? Telling them before they come is certainly not necessary in my mind.

But I do expect hosts to identify the food they're serving at some point. You would say, "Would you like some venison stew?" or similar.

We don't hunt and I'm completely hopeless cooking game, but we sure love when someone cooks venison. However, they tell us ahead of time because some people just don't want to eat game and it's rude to let people assume they're eating one thing when it's another.

I really think it's always appropriate to ask.

I wouldn't raise it as a moral "do you approve of hunting" question at all, but I'd probably drop them an e-mail and ask, "Do you think your kids would eat venison?"

That gives everyone cover. If they'd prefer not to eat hunted meat, they can write back and say "You know, So-and-so is going through a picky phase, so maybe you could separate the venison out for those who would like to eat it." That way they don't have to give the appearance of criticizing you. (If they feel that way, of course.)

I would let them know that it's a mixture of beef & venison. Since the texture of the meats will be different, they will figure something is odd about the meat.

I made a venison roast for my IL's (they had provided the deer for us). After 2 huge servings, we mentioned that it was venison. SIL & MIL both stated that they hate venison. :confused:

Please call them and ask if they would "prefer beef stew or a mix of venison and beef." Two of my family members are texture sensitive and at least one of them would probably gag at the unfamiliar texture, even though the difference is slight.

I really do not care for the taste of 'game'- and I have never been fooled--but I have had several hosts who have tried!

If you do not disclose the 'unusual' (to most) dinner menu then make sure you have a filling salad!

:iagree: I have unknowingly eaten venison chili and thought something was wrong with the food. I wondered why no one else thought it tasted funny. When I found out later it was venison I was quite relieved. I rarely eat venison so I didn't recognize the "funny" flavor and was just glad to know the meat hadn't gone bad or something like that.

I would want to know ahead of time. I don't particularly care for venison and I would feel badly if I started to eat something and really didn't like it. I wouldn't want to be rude and not eat it but I also wouldn't want to eat it.

I would want to know ahead of time. I don't particularly care for venison and I would feel badly if I started to eat something and really didn't like it. I wouldn't want to be rude and not eat it but I also wouldn't want to eat it.

:iagree:

I would want to know ahead of time.

I would want to know. I don't have any moral opposition to eating venison, but the idea of it is just not appetizing to me. If it were served to me without my knowledge, and I found out after the fact, I would not be very happy (and pretty grossed out, actually). I know it doesn't really make any sense, but I have some weird meat-eating hangups!:tongue_smilie:

I really do not care for the taste of 'game'- and I have never been fooled--but I have had several hosts who have tried!

Please call them and ask if they would "prefer beef stew or a mix of venison and beef." Two of my family members are texture sensitive and at least one of them would probably gag at the unfamiliar texture, even though the difference is slight.

This. No matter what you do, you can't disguise the texture. I would want to know, otherwise I'd have to find a polite way to not finish the food I was served. My gag reflex truly would not allow me to eat it.

I would mention it ahead of time, just so they don't end up thinking the meat is spoiled if they aren't familiar with the taste of deer meat. :tongue_smilie:

I'm surprised so many people here don't like venison. I love it! Of course, I grew up eating it frequently, so that probably has something to do with it.

If your guests don't want venison, you can invite us over sometime instead. We'll eat it. :D

Yes, definitely ask a head of time. I would be one that couldn't eat it.:D

I've been in a situation like that before, and I was actually afraid to ask the hostess what was "in" the meatloaf, knowing they were hunters. I didn't want to offend them. Something just didn't look or taste right. :confused: Better safe than sorry in this situation I think.

I very much appreciate it when my hosts let me know what I'm eating. I'm willing to try many things (I've had venison, rabbit, goat, etc.), but I have an intolerance to pork. If I inadvertently eat some, I get to spend the next very miserable 24 hours or so doubled up on the bathroom floor.

Because of this, when I have someone over, I always tell them what I was planning to serve.

Of course I'd want to know what I was eating.

If you have to ask, you already know in your heart the right thing to do is to disclose it.

They might want to avoid it, or they might want to savor every bite. Give them the opportunity to do so.

The only question is whether you want to consult with them ahead of time so you can change it up if they would prefer not to eat vension (or beef, or stew for that matter). I'm not saying that you have to cater to their every whim, of course, but as hostesses we all want to serve something our guests will appreciate, within our means and skill set.

I have in-laws who love to "trick" people at meals. They will "reveal" after we've eaten what the game-meat of the night was, and I hate that. I now always ask because there are types that I really can't handle and I want to know so I can eat more veggies and less of the main dish. I don't think you can assume they agree with the "all meat is equal" mentality. I would be put-off if I was eating beef stew that wasn't beef. Call it what it is.

It would never occur to me to think I had to tell someone ahead of time. Perhaps it's because we live in an area where almost everyone hunts and everyone eats it. It wouldn't seem strange at all. I would tell them ahead of time if we were serving octopus or squid, but not venison.

I would tell them what it is when they came, however. I also might have some macaroni and cheese ready in case anyone would prefer to have that. :)

I'd want to know because it's not a standard meat I would expect to be served (meaning you can't get it at the grocery store), and yeah, the idea of it bothers me a bit. If the taste was indistinguishable from beef and I had nothing else, I might serve it and not say anything, but from what family members who hunt have told me, it does taste different.

I'd probably call and say something like, "I have a delicious recipe that is perfect for the venison I have in the freezer -- just wanted to make sure venison was okay with you." I love venison and would be thrilled to try your stew, but I just like to know what I'm eating, and not everyone is comfortable with game. At the very least, do identify what it is before you serve it.