Menu

Poll: move quickly or stand stunned?

Falling vase, do you:  

1. 1. Falling vase, do you:

• React fast.
    • Freeze, then react.
    • Get paralyzed.
    • Um, I'm: not lazy, not short, not into holding my pee urges

You're standing at your hutch, returning a crystal vase to its place on the high shelf. You should've gotten a step-stool (because you're me, and you're 5' on a tall hair day) but you're kind of lazy and since you're still in your work heels you can m-o-s-t-l-y reach the high shelf if you stretch. You have to use the bathroom, but want to finish putting away the dishes (including vase) first :blush:.

You're doing the tee tee tango and stretching beyond your comfortable reach to get the vase up when your ankle buckles. Then as though in slow motion, you see the vase tumbling towards the marble floors where it's certain to break. It's a pricey vase, but replaceable (even though its been in the family for awhile and holds sentimental value). Do you:

react fast, and reach out to catch it?

freeze until you realize it's about to hit, then make a last-minute grab for it?

become totally paralyzed until you hear it shatter on the ground?

You have to use the bathroom, but want to finish putting away the dishes (including vase) first :blush:.

WHY do we do this to ourselves?!?!

Sometimes I have to FORCE myself to stop in the middle of something and go use the facilities; cause I *always* want to finish whatever I'm doing first. :tongue_smilie:

Oh, and I'd grab for it. :D

Just to be difficult. I wouldn't have been standing on a chair in heels. Bare feet always in those circumstances. Yes, I've been there where have to pee but want to get one more thing done. So in your scenario, I probably would have froze because to do anything else means I'd pee my pants.

And my hubby always wonders why it is that when he comes up to hug me while I'm doing the dishes, why he can't get frisky and I head off to the bathroom. :lol:

My reaction with those types of situations is usually to cover my head, close my eyes, scrunch up my face, say bad words, and then clean up the mess.:tongue_smilie:

Seriously, it's what I do almost every time. The only time I usually react is when the kids are involved.

React fast but mostly fail anyway and end up tripping and banging my elbow on something.

Yes, this. Also yes to being short, lazy, and usually needing to pee "as soon as I finish this". Will react quickly, end up injured, and try to look on the bright side that at least I'm wearing shoes as I crunch through the broken bits on the way to the toilet. Where the toilet paper roll is empty.

React fast but mostly fail anyway and end up tripping and banging my elbow on something.

Yes, this. Except I would probably hurt more than my elbow.

Catch it and pee yourself.

:lol: However, this is a strong possibility as well.

I'd think "oh s**t (or f*** if it's a really expensive or sentimental piece)" and then "can't hurt to try" and 50/50 I'd catch it. OK, more like 25/75. The most likely scenario would be that instead of seeing it fall straight to the ground, I'd make contact with it but smash it violently against some other surface where it would still break. So I could feel twice as stupid.

My reaction with those types of situations is usually to cover my head, close my eyes, scrunch up my face, say bad words, and then clean up the mess.:tongue_smilie:

Seriously, it's what I do almost every time. The only time I usually react is when the kids are involved.

:iagree::lol: This is me, exactly.

I am totally the LIGHTNING fast catch... I cannot catch a ball to save my life, but catch things falling, especial those I drop or knock down all the time.

I have wondered, is it amazing I caught it or embarrassing that I dropped it.

BTW, I also would have tinkled a little as I moved!

I would react fast, but still probably miss because I lack the coordination to pull off such feats.

:iagree: I've got a fast reaction time that is useless because I'm uncoordinated. I would have been quickly grabbing for the object that was three inches to the left. :glare:

I react fast, but that's not always a good thing.

Yesterday, my toddler was to the right of me in the kitchen. He reached up, grabbing at a steak knife. I immediately rushed to grab it... with a HUGE knife still in my hand. It's incredible that I managed to avoid slicing him! :blink::blink:

quickly grabbed and saved the falling item, only to fall on my keister, break my tailbone, and then lose half the summer while my middle school kids rode back and forth ad neauseum in front of our house on their new bikes, whining about why I couldn't go with them on *my* new bike down the 8 mile bike trail, the same bike trail which was a deciding factor in buying in a house in this particular new neighborhood.

:glare: BTDT. Would have liked to have killed SIL's dog that did a "crazy ivan" and knocked me off my feet, making the breakable item go flying in the first place.

Still :glare: at that stupid dog! (Dog, a black lab, had knocked 3 out of 5 of us off our feet at one point or another. None of the falls were pretty.)

1. I can hold it forever, so no dancing here.

And therefore,

2. I can react fast. Mostly this is due to my not feeling like having to do one more thing (clean up a mess) for the day.

P.S. While I'm only 5'4", my reach is more like someone who's 5'7". It's very helpful to have ape arms.

Well, eternalknot, what ended up happening? (You don't have to tell us if you tinkled under pressure or not :D)

:bigear:

I got paralyzed :glare: I always freeze, always have. I don't know why!!! Drives me nuts! Even after it hit the ground, I stood there motionless for until my sister started barking at me to clean up my mess. (Fortunately she was referring to the vase mess, and not a personal mess ;)!)

Meanwhile, my sister who was on the other side of the room did this ninja leap across the table and came >thisclose< to catching the thing. She'd have caught it had she been closer. You know, instead of sitting on the other side being super helpful and laughing at me as I struggled with my biological urges and shortcomings of height LOL. She's always been a quick reactor, always. I don't get why that gene skipped me.

What drives me crazy -and this happens often enough that there's a pattern to it- is that once the bad thing happens, I lose the urge to pee. :confused:

So once I realized the vase had broken, I no longer even had to go. Why the heck is that? And to quote another poster: Why do we do this to ourselves??! LOL (I was relieved to read that. Thought I was the only one!)

Your reponses -and their visuals- brought a smile to my face. I'm glad to read that Murphy didn't save his law only for me LOL.