Menu

Sonlight alternatives - need recommendations

8circles

OK - so I thought we were all set with sticking with Sonlight next year but I'm really turned-off by the changes that they are making & the way they're doing it. So now I'm looking into alternatives.

What have you used & how teacher-intensive was it for planning/scheduling? Also, how religious is it? I'm Christian so don't mind it being religious but I don't need that to be the focus of every subject, KWIM? I don't want to be bothered by lots of theology that I don't agree with. We don't use SL's Bible.

Curricula I've thought about so far:

Rod & Staff (seems boring & I don't like the History but maybe good for certain subjects)

Ambleside Online

What can you suggest?

I left SL for a year of our own thing with TWTM as my guide (I did mainly a state study combined with 2nd year US History). I'm now using TOG. TOG is a lot like SL but with more choices and some bit of more planning of course. I mention it because of your kids' ages, which are very similar to mine (9, 6, 4 and 1). I'm liking already 2 on the same history period, and even more when I roll in the others.

Adding on about the religious aspect. We're Catholic and didn't use SL bible. We don't do all the worldview of TOG either; I pick and choose. I'm in Y3 right now with them, and I'm finding the involvement of bible in the other topics similar to SL at this particular TOG year.

Story of the world might be a good option, or history odyssey from pandia press.

Personally I am deciding between Tapestry of Grace or Mystery of History but those might not align with your beliefs

(sovereignty of God through the ages).

You could use FLL and WWe for language arts, and pick your own science, reading, handwriting and math.

Edited by warneral

Wondering the same thing. We might leave Sonlight as well after this. I'll need to replace history, readers, read-alouds, and science that I currently do with Sonlight. I have all 4 volumes and all 4 activity guides for SOTW that I was planning on adding to SL. I can pretty well figure out my own readers and read-alouds I suppose. Science is my big question.

We started using Moving Beyond the Page this year and love it. It is a complete curriculum other than phonics and math, and it is literature and project-based. I barely plan at all, other than to skim to see what supplies we may need (never anything hard to get) and to maybe pick up some go-alongs from the library. My dd6 is always happy to do MBTP, and she is learning a lot.

ETA: It is a secular program.

I went back and forth for awhile about using SL, and eventually decided to go with Biblioplan next year. It uses the 4 year cycle, and many of the SL books. It is all laid out for you with a schedule, just 3 days a week for history/lit. I don't like the changes either. I hate having to buy things you won't use. I like SL cores for history lit, but use other things for LA and Bible...

We have used SL's Cores P4/5 through C, then this year we took a year off to study state history (that I compiled myself). We discovered in this "off" year that (1) I really like pulling together my own curriculum; and (2) my kids really like more hands-on activities than what we had with SL.

So, I think we're going to use Homeschool in the Woods Time Traveler CDs for the next 2 years, combined with SL's Core D and E books (and others). But we won't be following the SL schedule. I'm not sure what we'll do after 2 years of American history..

If I had younger kids, I'd consider looking at Winter Promise, My Father's World, Tapestry of Grace, or Heart of Dakota. I haven't used any of those curricula, but they might be what you're looking for.

I loved Story of the World, and for your ages I think it would be ideal. If you haven't done ancients yet, just start with Volume 1. It is tremendously engaging, and if you get a few of the supplemental books recommended in the AG and do an activity from time to time, you can have a very rich year. Also, if you have a good self-study Bible that tells you when each of the historical books of the Bible were set, you can easily slow down some and integrate Bible history with world history. Fun and effective!

I did this with Concordia Self-Study NIV Bible, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was wonderful.

I am trying to decide if I should just find a used copy of core E (I already have the core B IG for ds8) and doing my own think for my dd4, or if I should jsut get TOG and teach them all the same level at once.

TOG is in the front running. DOing 3 different cores at once is very hard, I was okay with it, I love the approach but the changes suck, and I do not want extra courses that I already have stuff for.

OK - so I thought we were all set with sticking with Sonlight next year but I'm really turned-off by the changes that they are making & the way they're doing it. So now I'm looking into alternatives.

What have you used & how teacher-intensive was it for planning/scheduling? Also, how religious is it? I'm Christian so don't mind it being religious but I don't need that to be the focus of every subject, KWIM? I don't want to be bothered by lots of theology that I don't agree with. We don't use SL's Bible.

Rod & Staff (seems boring & I don't like the History but maybe good for certain subjects)

Ambleside Online

What can you suggest?

Can I (treading lightly) suggest that you not make a decision about leaving SL until you see the changes? I have been reading here and on the SL forums over the course of the day and I think SL's "teasers" leave a lot to be desired in the way of explanations. You may be pleasantly surprised....or not.

Can I (treading lightly) suggest that you not make a decision about leaving SL until you see the changes? I have been reading here and on the SL forums over the course of the day and I think SL's "teasers" leave a lot to be desired in the way of explanations. You may be pleasantly surprised....or not.

I hear you. Im not sure yet if we'll switch but I dislike being teased in the first place. It is just really rubbing me wrong. Im just getting a headstart on research if we decide to try something new.

Interesting. I haven't been on the SL forums much recently so didn't know there was a kerfuffle. When I read the email about the changes I thought, "Oh, they're going back to the way that some stuff used to be," because things used to be more integrated with the core, the LA now sounds more like it used to be, and it wasn't that long ago that the core came with the Bible already included.

That being said I haven't purchased SL recently because I've found that now that I kind of know how to do things I like planning my own curriculum better. We use SOTW as a spine and I have lots of fun looking at many sites and picking and choosing other stuff. Some of them are:

simplycharlottemason.com

Amblesideonline.org

memoriapress.com

charlottemasonhelp.com

greenleafpress.com

easyclassical.com

And I ask opinions of people here!

SOTW is great and not super intensive on planning- it is all there and you could do it with both of the older kids. T has loved it this year. We are moving to SOTW II as soon as it arrives. Not all religious, def. from a Christian perspective but if it was not too much so for me and my lapsed Catholic self then I think it will be fine for you. :tongue_smilie:

Adoremus Books has a lot of curriculum choices with good prices and free ship codes: http://www.adoremusbooks.com/ Not all specifically religious but nothing sold there would be problematic for Catholic families.

If I am misremembering and you are not Catholic, forgive my memory!

SL makes some changes every year - trying to improve. Sometimes they are big changes, but usually they are small. They have been (and usually are) very vague about changes until soon before the new catalog comes out. I think it is very difficult to judge that you don't like the changes if you don't know what they are - maybe you do know specific things and then you should do whatever is best for your family.

I went from SL to WP. It is a similar IG and there are more "fact" books, a wide range of activites and hands on stuff which suits us. I also like the Make your own history book pages even though we pick and choose which ones we do. It has mapping assignments. Some like to tweak the IG a bit but I generally use it more or less as is. There are less RA than SL. I like this bit.

I've also been using (mostly) Ambleside online with my 10 year old for 5 years! She's learning a ton :001_smile: I'm probably going to be using Sonlight next year for her though to get some more formal work to prepare for highschool (she'll be in 6th grade).

We also get some book lists off of http://www.livingbookscurriculum.com/

Hope that helps!

According to the video, they're just adding LA to the regular Core... beefing up Bible bits (adding Bible Resources to core).... and changing some of the books. http://www.sonlight.com/whats-new

You'll be able to see the new samples in early April--so I think that will tell a lot. I hope they still keep the option of not purchasing the Bible portion.

If you're buying a Core Bible will be included now.

Ambleside Online

What can you suggest?

I am one who seriously considered SL. But I wanted to keep my LA and continue my own thing with bible. SL is pretty expensive and I'm not sure if I am willing to spend extra money for things that we may not use. The LA may be great but I believe if it is working for your child you should not change.

In addition I am a mix of classical/charlotte mason user. I have found I really like the ideas from www.charlottemasonhelp.com So more likely than not I will continue using story of the world history and ideas from the above site.

Tapestry of Grace is fabulous. We're on our third year with it and LOVE it. It's perfect if you have children at different levels because they are all studying the same topics. I love the cohesion it lends to our families studies.

:iagree:

Love Tapestry. There's so much there to work with. You can customize it to your students and to your family but bottom line, you're all on the same page in history and the surrounding humanities subjects. It's been a delight for us and I will be sticking with it through highschool. We're almost done with our 2nd year. Anywho, hope that helps! :-)

According to the video, they're just adding LA to the regular Core... beefing up Bible bits (adding Bible Resources to core).... and changing some of the books. http://www.sonlight.com/whats-new

You'll be able to see the new samples in early April--so I think that will tell a lot. I hope they still keep the option of not purchasing the Bible portion.

To get a Core IG, you'll have to get the LA. To get a Core package, you'll have to buy their Bible resources. They will be sending out teaser videos over the next month at the rate of one each Wednesday. They hope to have the catalog online by mid-March, but the last video about changes comes out on March 28th and ordering for 2012 changes goes live on April 2nd, so not much time to decide once they've finally released all the details they plan to ahead of time.

To get a Core IG, you'll have to get the LA. To get a Core package, you'll have to buy their Bible resources. They will be sending out teaser videos over the next month at the rate of one each Wednesday. They hope to have the catalog online by mid-March, but the last video about changes comes out on March 28th and ordering for 2012 changes goes live on April 2nd, so not much time to decide once they've finally released all the details they plan to ahead of time.

What are you considering? Just curious.

What are you considering? Just curious.

I'm looking at either going on my own or doing TOG for history/readers/read-alouds/Bible. I have all four volumes and activity books for SOTW. We have a ton of literature around the house. I need to figure out readers and Bible, but I guess I could just use Sonlight as a booklist for readers and make my own Bible schedule (I already have Leading Little Ones to God which is scheduled for the Core we'd be doing next year). I probably *should* go on my own, but I just LOVE having an IG!

What I'm most at a loss for if we switch is science. I think what I'll do, since I'm only dealing with second grade, is do a WTM kind of schedule based on Magic School Bus and adding in library books. We have every single MSB book and video, so that would be relatively easy for me.

tuzor - just was clicking around on your blog and have to say that this:

"Perhaps another time, when the boys are older. I have to remind myself there will be other years to do cool projects. I have the tendency to go overboard. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s almost as if I want to cram all the cool things into one year."

is SO me. I'm constantly having to tell myself that we'll have more opportunities to do x or y, we don't have to do it all NOW, especially when my little guy is so little.

ToG!

...we changed last year and haven't looked back (obviously we still use the SL books!!).

I really grew tired of SL's "attitude" - and looking at what is going on right now (ĂƒÂ  la "one video a week":001_huh:) I am so happy not to be feeding into this...

ToG is great and an investment into the future!

I am seriously dizzy and confused! I believe you will be able to get the Core IG, but only cores P3/4 through C. Core D IG's will automatically be WITHIN the Core IG. Is this how you understand it? If you buy a whole, complete core, though the LA will come with it.

We will be on Core D next year, and I have NO desire for the LA, and if the prices of each IG increases significantly, I will be looking elsewhere too, but I was set on SL for the long haul, so this is really frustrating me and giving me anxiety I don't need. :001_huh:

I'm a capitalist and see nothing wrong with a company trying to make money. That's their job and I'm sure it feeds lots of mouths.

However this is why I left SL- all this hype, all these "teasers" ...it's just so.much.hype. And it's not wrong for them to try new ways of making money, it's just annoying to me.

Every year there are huge sweeping changes. It's annoying to me.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that SOTW is a fantastic alternative. You can find lots of literature and get it at the library. Once you get used to maximizing your library, it's easy. At first it can se

Daunting of course.

Edited by Calming Tea

Please help me understand how this curriculum works. If you purchase the year does it include the readers and read-alouds or are they purchased separately?

TOG is a 4-year history rotation. When you purchase your year plan you are getting lower grammar, upper grammar, dialetic, and rhetoric for that time frame. You only buy each year plan once. You then decide which level you are using with your child. You can then use your library, buy what you need (from the linked TOG bookstore or from whatever source you choose), or pull books you already own on the subject. TOG Y1-4 = all your SL IG's through AP high school.

I am seriously dizzy and confused! I believe you will be able to get the Core IG, but only cores P3/4 through C. Core D IG's will automatically be WITHIN the Core IG. Is this how you understand it? If you buy a whole, complete core, though the LA will come with it.

We will be on Core D next year, and I have NO desire for the LA, and if the prices of each IG increases significantly, I will be looking elsewhere too, but I was set on SL for the long haul, so this is really frustrating me and giving me anxiety I don't need. :001_huh:

Yes, we got further clarification today.

To buy ANY Core package from A up, you get Readers and LA.

To buy ANY Core package from Core A to Core C, you will choose a Readers package and matching LA (no mixing levels of Readers and LA with Core packages).

You can buy JUST a Core IG (no LA) up through Core C. And you can buy JUST a LA IG (no Core) up through Readers 4/5.

Beginning at Core D, the LA portion will be included on the same sheet of paper as the Core portion of the IG, so there is no separating them and only buying one or the other.

Yes, we got further clarification today.

To buy ANY Core package from A up, you get Readers and LA.

To buy ANY Core package from Core A to Core C, you will choose a Readers package and matching LA (no mixing levels of Readers and LA with Core packages).

You can buy JUST a Core IG (no LA) up through Core C. And you can buy JUST a LA IG (no Core) up through Readers 4/5.

Beginning at Core D, the LA portion will be included on the same sheet of paper as the Core portion of the IG, so there is no separating them and only buying one or the other.

This is just ridiculous. :glare: I seriously hope the price of the IGs doesn't change drastically or I may have to look elsewhere also after Core C (which we're doing next year), as I won't use SL LA.

What I'm most at a loss for if we switch is science. I think what I'll do, since I'm only dealing with second grade, is do a WTM kind of schedule based on Magic School Bus and adding in library books. We have every single MSB book and video, so that would be relatively easy for me.

Have you considered a classical science curriculum that works for all elementary ages, like Apologia? So simple to just get the book/subject of your choice and go for it. Just wondering.

ToG!

...we changed last year and haven't looked back (obviously we still use the SL books!!).

I really grew tired of SL's "attitude" - and looking at what is going on right now (ĂƒÂ  la "one video a week":001_huh:) I am so happy not to be feeding into this...

ToG is great and an investment into the future!

I don't understand the teasers. Why not give us all the information upfront and let the consumers decide. Releasing bits and pieces makes me more nervous and more frustrated.

tuzor - just was clicking around on your blog and have to say that this:

"Perhaps another time, when the boys are older. I have to remind myself there will be other years to do cool projects. I have the tendency to go overboard. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s almost as if I want to cram all the cool things into one year."

is SO me. I'm constantly having to tell myself that we'll have more opportunities to do x or y, we don't have to do it all NOW, especially when my little guy is so little.

Its so hard!

I believe that to cut down on confusion they should release all information at one time. This would help clarify lots of things all at one time. I really can't understand their approach. I don't know if I could handle this each year.

I'm a capitalist and see nothing wrong with a company trying to make money. That's their job and I'm sure it feeds lots of mouths.

However this is why I left SL- all this hype, all these "teasers" ...it's just so.much.hype. And it's not wrong for them to try new ways of making money, it's just annoying to me.

Every year there are huge sweeping changes. It's annoying to me.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that SOTW is a fantastic alternative. You can find lots of literature and get it at the library. Once you get used to maximizing your library, it's easy. At first it can se

Daunting of course.

:iagree:about all the teasers.

Have you considered a classical science curriculum that works for all elementary ages, like Apologia? So simple to just get the book/subject of your choice and go for it. Just wondering.

I've gone back and forth several times about Apologia. I will probably use the high school series by Wile, but I have too many theological problems with the elementary series.

Please see below my request for info. I really hate these teasers and these changes really mess up my plan. My kids only started later with HS and SL seemed very attractive in the begining. We did their Core D & E for the past 2 1/4 years. We are about 6 weeks to finish but replaced the spine with SOTW focus on American History Chapters. I have four SL LA programs barely used. I really tried to make it work but it is not for my kids. What really grinds me is all the suspense and this would mess up my plans. I was planing on getting a full core plus LA for that Core (not their additional books just the LA for some assignments) and two add IG for the 2 year schedule for SOTW?!?

Have not yet got any clarification? I wish there was another program that shedules SOTW over two years as this is what we have left before my daughter goes to HS. If we are still here she will start with Camdridge program with a Distance Online College...

Just for the three IG is 3 x $70 + $40 for LA IG?... I cannot really wait until 2nd April beause if I understand correct it would be preaty useless..

Can someone please help. Maybe even guide me to another route???

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Judy,

I know your website promisses all these releases but I cannot wait to order and find out I have ordered the wrong thing. It cost 24% shipping fees here and that is on orders above $900+. I have ordered over $1000 every year for the past two years... Also it costs 14% tax. So if I was to buy the old format and decided I wanted to swap it would cost me 38% plus for the error.

Due to time constraints and the fact that my eldest child has max 1 1/2 year till High School and because we live in South Africa where HS is under attack and we are not sure if we will be able to continue with SL for High School I had planned on Core W with add ons from Core G & H. I wanted to use SOTW and mostly core W for the other readings. Also we own core B&C which I bought but never used because I was not able to keep two cores going so these would tie in nicely.

But as far as I understand the new IG cores will have all the book notes together behind each week and not separated. This would not work becuse I am making a hybrid using Core W and adding in Core G & the Core H notes for SOTW and some add on books as well as pulling in some Core B & C Books for my son.

I can only do this if the notes are separated. I really need to place my order before April 2nd otherwise my plan will not work. I was planing to buy Core W and then the IG for Core G & H?!?

Please help.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't want the notes behind each week, you MUST buy before April 1. I believe LA is already included in Core H, I'm not sure about W and I'm on my phone so can't check easily. So, if I understand, You want to get Core W (with the LA if it's not already included) and get IGs for Cores G and H? If having the notes separated is more important, you need to buy now. If having the LA integrated is more important you should wait. Another possibility would be to buy just the G and H IGs now and wait to buy Core W until April 2.