Menu

My 6 yr old says she wants to go to public school :(

creekster519

We started homeschooling this year. My 3rd grade son attended public school through second but was really excited to start homeschooling. He still loves it and says he doesn't want to go back to public school. My daughter is in kindergarten and has never attended public school. She did go to 4 years of mother's day out where I worked as a teacher. A few times she has said school is boring and asked when she gets to see her new class and meet her new teacher. I try to do a lot of fun experiments, field trips, park days, etc. but some subjects are just going to be boring. We are involved with a homeschool group so she gets to socialize with other kids and we have holiday parties together. I don't think she's missing anything the public school can offer but she doesn't know that because she's never been. I have often worried that she would ask to go to public school because she never had that experience, unlike her brother. He knows what it's like and sees the benefits of homeschooling. I'm unsure what to do. Should I let her try public for 1st grade and hope she'll want to come back home? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

When my k'er says that my other 2 children tell him why he doesn't. They both attended public school before we brought them home; this is our 2nd year. They tell him all the negative things and reasons they love homeschooling instead. I also remind him how early he would have to get up to catch the bus and that usually quietens him down. He doesn't like to get up at 7:15 now so we can have our family Bible study at 7:30 before Dad leaves!

I wouldn't send her to school. You are her parent and are in charge of her education. If she thinks some days are boring at home, she'll be really bored at school. Our local elementary has kindergartners doing tons of worksheets to prep for the test prep they'll be doing in later grades. :confused: They also have homework. Recess, I think, is twice a week in lieu of PE. Even on my most draconian days, Ariel prefers to be homeschooled. Occasionally when she asks about going to PS, we talk about the advantages of homeschooling over being in PS, like the freedom to talk, give hugs without being sent to the office (it's considered s__ual harassment, even in kindergarten), get up and play when lessons are done instead of sitting quietly until everyone else finishes.

She may be picking up on your indecision. Make a choice, either you want her to stay home or you want her to go. Once you make that decision, tell her quietly but firmly. You can discuss it, but don't be constantly second-guessing yourself.

My oldest is K aged now. Here, we have all day Kindergarten, so we have just discussed that if she were in public school, she would be there most of the day and not learning/doing certain things. When we drive by a school, she notes, "oh, those poor kids are stuck inside all day!"

When push comes to shove, though, I am the parent and I've chosen to homeschool for XYZ reason. And what I say goes. At this age, they may think the grass is greener, but they really don't have the foresight to make a decision like that. Sure, you can weigh in whether she wants to go, but that doesn't change your other reasons for home schooling. Weigh your choices and decide and stand by your answer.

I'd be concerned about setting a precedent that the kids may all think if they complain, they could go back when they want. I wouldn't want to be too rigid about it, but I would want my kids to know that while they are open to have coversations about it, the parents will decide what is best for the kids and family.

My DD must go for an assessment for kindergarten next week - she knows we may decide to put her in kindergarten or keep her at home, but she also knows that the decision is ours to make and not hers. She did go to a nursery school when she was 3 and she enjoyed it and still sometimes talks about it as though she misses it so sometimes I feel guilty, but at the same time she tells me she loves her Mummy more than the teachers she sees at the art class she attends (this she said when I asked her which of the two teachers she liked the best) I think for parents their will always be some doubt and I know I will always wonder of I am doing the right thing since there are pros and cons to each. In the end though I am the parent and it is for me and DH to make that decision based on what we feel is right for our family. Do what you think will be best for your 6 year old and do not make her responsible for a decision she is not old enough to make - you cannot send her to school and then tell her she wanted to go so now it is her problem if she doesn't like it - she is only 6! She must never have to feel she made a wrong decision about her own education - that is your burden to bear.

She's 6. She doesn't know what's good for her. If homeschooling is what you believe in then she will have to go along with that. Schooling is an extremely important and life altering choice. If homeschooling is what you believe in then just tell her that and explain that it is part of who your family is and how you function. If she knows PS isn't an option she'll move on.

At 6, I would decide more based on what I thought was best for her and the family than on what she says alone. I'm not a die-hard homeschooler. We can imagine lots of reasons why we'd eventually not homeschool, one being that the kids aren't happy or aren't being served. However, I would consider the feelings/wishes of an older child more seriously just because I'd feel like they had more of a real idea of what they were asking.

I might try asking her very specifically what she wants to do in school. I've found with my son that sometimes he wants things that I can give him at home. For example, once he wished he could have a Spring Break. It was kind of silly since he was in homeschool kindergarten at the time and the amount of work we did was minimal but his friends were getting one so he wanted one. Fine, we called it Spring Break and pretty much did the same stuff we always did. But he was happy. He has wished for bag lunches. Fine, I can pack him a lunch in a bag and let him eat in the backyard or in the living room. He has wished for more time with friends, I can make more of an effort to have play time. You get the idea, the point being that you might find that what she thinks "school" is is something you can do at home.

My son is also a child who is a bit of a complainer. He used to complain a lot that he was bored. This year he has had periods of complaining that he hates school. This disturbs me because I have this image that because we are homeschooling he will love learning and love school. I've had to realize that he has just somewhat of a complaining personality and that when he says he hates school, he means he hates spelling. I've learned to judge his actions and not just his words. So if she is saying she is bored but seems happy and she is thriving, I'd keep doing what you are doing. If you really see that she seems unhappy I'd spend some time thinking about how to reasonably change things to have it be better for both of you. ETA: And I'd also add that this Eeyore like attitude is something I've realized that I need to work on with my son...and something that he gets naturally. :)

From your post, you've said she said "a few times" that it's boring. That suggests to me that she's mostly enjoying it and pretty normal in expressing that it's boring sometime. It's hard not to take that too seriously, but I'd try to just let it go.

My kindergartener went through a similar phase at the beginning of the year. He had been to a weekday preschool last year and had a great experience there. The beginning of this year he asked a lot about when he would go back to preschool and see his teacher. His school actually contacted me that they had an opening for K4. He has a December birthday and could not go to public or private kindergarten here.

I just told him he was in kindergarten now and homeschooling with the big kids (I have 4 and he is the youngest). I also told him he was ready for kindergarten and wouldn't be able to go to kindergarten at his preschool. He didn't ask much after I repeated it like it was the best thing since sliced bread that he is home.

We do basketball at the church where he attended preschool and his former teacher was running the concession stand and he talked to her for a bit, but he couldn't even remember her name when we walked away. I told her how well he was doing with reading and she seemed genuinely pleased for him.

I would just talk up homeschool and not stress if she is bored. I would just not reply to "I'm bored" or "This is boring". I would honestly find chores if my kids were "bored". I wouldn't let her go to public school unless I was resolved that she may want to stay. It was very hard to juggle schooling this last year when ds was in pre-k. By the time we did car pool and got home and settled it was almost lunch time then we schooled some and then it was time to sit in carpool again. Also, if she does homeschool kindergarten they will likely test her into 1st grade using the end of year assessment for kindergarten that is based off the curriculum used in public schools.

LOL! When my boys were six they wanted to eat candy for dinner, they wanted a horse, and to live in Hawaii. But they didn't get those options because I'm the best person to determine what my 6 year old needs or doesn't need. A six year old does not dictate life decisions.

It sounds like she's just going to have to learn how to not be bored :). It sounds like you're doing fine. It's normal to wonder how the other kids live, but they in turn probably wonder about how your daughter lives. I just told my boys that we can't have it all...and this is what their life is going to be like for a while.

She's 6. She doesn't know what's good for her. If homeschooling is what you believe in then she will have to go along with that. Schooling is an extremely important and life altering choice. If homeschooling is what you believe in then just tell her that and explain that it is part of who your family is and how you function. If she knows PS isn't an option she'll move on.

:iagree:

I wouldn't send her to school. You are her parent and are in charge of her education. If she thinks some days are boring at home, she'll be really bored at school. Our local elementary has kindergartners doing tons of worksheets to prep for the test prep they'll be doing in later grades. :confused: They also have homework. Recess, I think, is twice a week in lieu of PE. Even on my most draconian days, Ariel prefers to be homeschooled. Occasionally when she asks about going to PS, we talk about the advantages of homeschooling over being in PS, like the freedom to talk, give hugs without being sent to the office (it's considered s__ual harassment, even in kindergarten), get up and play when lessons are done instead of sitting quietly until everyone else finishes.

She may be picking up on your indecision. Make a choice, either you want her to stay home or you want her to go. Once you make that decision, tell her quietly but firmly. You can discuss it, but don't be constantly second-guessing yourself.

:iagree: Well said. She is probably picking up on your indecision. I spent a lot of time at the beginning of the year going over the positives about homeschooling. DS5 has completely stopped begging to go to school. Have her try and call her friends and make a playdate at 1pm. :tongue_smilie: Or you could start waking her up at 6am. :lol:

We started homeschooling this year. My 3rd grade son attended public school through second but was really excited to start homeschooling. He still loves it and says he doesn't want to go back to public school. My daughter is in kindergarten and has never attended public school. She did go to 4 years of mother's day out where I worked as a teacher. A few times she has said school is boring and asked when she gets to see her new class and meet her new teacher. I try to do a lot of fun experiments, field trips, park days, etc. but some subjects are just going to be boring. We are involved with a homeschool group so she gets to socialize with other kids and we have holiday parties together. I don't think she's missing anything the public school can offer but she doesn't know that because she's never been. I have often worried that she would ask to go to public school because she never had that experience, unlike her brother. He knows what it's like and sees the benefits of homeschooling. I'm unsure what to do. Should I let her try public for 1st grade and hope she'll want to come back home? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

It might free you from some unnecessary Mommy guilt if you simply stop comparing yourself and your school to anything or anyone else. I know we all do this at times, but I think it's a worrisome habit. I've had to shut that off and focus on what we are buidling, what we are doing, what we are achieving -- not what the schools do or don't do. What the schools do or do not do is irrelevant to me.

You are the leader of your own homeschool. What do you want it to be? What are you building? What is your vision? Sort that out, and hold onto your convictions. Cultivate the habit of leading, rather than following, your children (unless following them is part of your philosophy of education). If you believe that you have the vision, ability, and energy to lead your children to a very good place, then an occasional sigh of boredom from your child won't deter you from leading them there.

FWIW, I've had to say to my own three recently: "I am not your cruise director. Go play. Away from me." :nopity:We do plenty for school. We do plenty of snuggling, they are not suffering from any deprivation of any kind. But the day gets long sometimes, KWIM? Then I'm not going to fill up every minute of the day. I am not your cruise director. As in,

"Hi, welcome to the Love Boat. I'm Julie, your Cruise

Director."

:tongue_smilie:Not.

Haha, my rising K'er said he wanted to go to brick and mortar school and when I asked him why, he said he wanted to talk with the other kids. I said that kids don't really get to talk much in school. I then asked what specifically did he want to learn there he said, "To run cow dogs, to steer a horse by myself and to swim."

I tried not to laugh as I told him schools don't teach that kind of thing. That's the kind of thing his dad could teach him. He looked quite horrified and he asked, "Well, what DO they do?!"

I havne't heard any more, but I think he's just tring to figure it all out lol.

I wouldn't send her to school. You are her parent and are in charge of her education. If she thinks some days are boring at home, she'll be really bored at school.

I might try asking her very specifically what she wants to do in school. I've found with my son that sometimes he wants things that I can give him at home. For example, once he wished he could have a Spring Break. It was kind of silly since he was in homeschool kindergarten at the time and the amount of work we did was minimal but his friends were getting one so he wanted one. Fine, we called it Spring Break and pretty much did the same stuff we always did. But he was happy. He has wished for bag lunches. Fine, I can pack him a lunch in a bag and let him eat in the backyard or in the living room. He has wished for more time with friends, I can make more of an effort to have play time. You get the idea, the point being that you might find that what she thinks "school" is is something you can do at home.

:iagree: My son mentioned wanting to go briefly last year. I asked him what exactly made him want to go to public school, KNOWING all that he knows about how great homeschooling is. His reply: he wanted to ride the bus and have snow days! :lol:

He had no actual interest in going to school and being stuck at a desk all day long, but there were certain aspects, like the bus, that intrigued him. So I just did my best to meet those 'needs' when they arose. He doesn't ask any more and actually tells other people why he doesn't want to go to 'regular' school.

My oldest is K aged now. Here, we have all day Kindergarten, so we have just discussed that if she were in public school, she would be there most of the day and not learning/doing certain things. When we drive by a school, she notes, "oh, those poor kids are stuck inside all day!"

When push comes to shove, though, I am the parent and I've chosen to homeschool for XYZ reason. And what I say goes. At this age, they may think the grass is greener, but they really don't have the foresight to make a decision like that. Sure, you can weigh in whether she wants to go, but that doesn't change your other reasons for home schooling. Weigh your choices and decide and stand by your answer.

On Monday we went to a children's museum and on the way we past a school with a bunch of kids outside having recess. We pointed out to our kids that if they were not homeschooled they wouldn't be able to go to the museum with us they would instead be in school ALL day like the kids they saw. At that moment they were really glad that they got to do school at home.

Maybe you could have her do a practice day at home so she could see what school would be like of she were going to school, including waking up and having to sit at her desk quietly even if she is done with her schoolwork. And perhaps add in more worksheets and writing, busywork, like the kids in school have. Maybe that would help her realize that the grass is not always greener on the other side. I agree with the other posters in the fact that you are the parent and you get to decide what you feel is best for her. You could even ask her WHY she wants to go to school, what does she think will happen there that won't happen at home, and try and meet that need. For example if it is social than schedule more regular play dates for her, etc. HTH! Good Luck!

my k-er went through this a bit last year as she had a neighborhood friend who "got to ride the bus" and who talked about all the fun things she did at school around my dd. It was more of an interest in the "different than what I do" scenario that a real desire to go to school. She thought this girl was very cool, so naturally school must be loads of fun. Now if you ask her she will tell you no way--she never wants to go to school.

You're the mom. You know what's best for her.

Besides, she will probably be on board 100% with homeschooling if you tell her all the reasons (the ones she cares about anyway) you think homeschooling is better. A few cons about PS that kids respond pretty readily to: Sitting at a desk for hours. Not being able to talk to the kids most of the time. Mean kids. The teacher will likely move to the next thing whether you understand or not (mommy will always make sure you understand). Not being able to do work outside on a nice day. Getting up at 6 am to get ready for school, waiting for the bus in the cold or rain. Being there for 6 hours and by the time they get home it's dark in 2 hours. Oh yeah, and they will have "homework" to do at home in addition to being at school.

She'll probably say: :leaving:

And PS certainly isn't the solution for those boring subjects! They don't get any more entertaining in PS! And the can suck a lot of joy out of other interesting subjects (like Science), to boot.

And I think most homeschooled kids, if they have any desire to go to PS, it's solely because of activities and socializing with the kids. But if you point out that they can STILL do activities, and STILL hang out with kids at your group, ymca class, what have you... there goes the most enticing reason to go to school.

Haha, my rising K'er said he wanted to go to brick and mortar school and when I asked him why, he said he wanted to talk with the other kids. I said that kids don't really get to talk much in school. I then asked what specifically did he want to learn there he said, "To run cow dogs, to steer a horse by myself and to swim."

I tried not to laugh as I told him schools don't teach that kind of thing. That's the kind of thing his dad could teach him. He looked quite horrified and he asked, "Well, what DO they do?!"

That is hilarious!! And cute!! Precious innocent child! :lol:

:iagree: You are the parent and need to make a decision for a 6 year old.

Thanks so much for this thread! I really needed it.

My almost-5 year old often asks why she won't be going to school next year, since she has observed that no one we know homeschools. I haven't gotten too far into the weeds with her on why we're doing it, but I'm glad to have a starting point from the wise words here!

Many thanks to all.

This kid knows what schools should be teaching! this made my day!

My DD went through a "I want to go to REAL SCHOOL" phase last summer at age 6, after spending time with her cousins, one of whom had just finished PS K, and another who was starting PS K. Didn't help any that her cousins go to a science magnet school in Orlando, which has Sea World as one of the corporate sponsors, so the kids get to go to Sea World every year as a field trip (Although according to DSIL, the kids aren't allowed to ride the rides on the field trip day, so in many ways it's a very frustrating field trip to chaperone, since they effectively have to treat Sea World like a zoo, with kids who are more interested in the Kraken than in Shamu).

It turned out that a lot of what she wanted was school STUFF. So, we created a school name, mascot, had a magnet made for my mini-van, decorated our little school room (which I'd envisioned more as a big closet) as a classroom, and, for Christmas, she even got a "School uniform"-a plaid pleated skirt and a polo shirt with the school name and one of her drawings of the mascot on it. For about the first 2 months of school this year I taught every day to a classroom of American Girl dolls and stuffed dragons. And when her friends at dance come in talking about Spirit week with "Crazy Hair day" or "Read across America day", DD and I will discuss whether this is something she wants to do. For example, we will be doing a special Dr. Seuss birthday party, where we'll spend a day reading Dr Seuss books, writing rhyming poetry, make some crafts from online, and have "Green Eggs and Ham" for lunch. And we're taking a BIG field trip in a couple of weeks-to Legoland :).

I also have become more active in our homeschool group and taken advantage of a lot of the activities so that DD has the same group of kids to be her "class", and that seems to have helped fill a need for her, too-and it provides the Valentine's exchanges and classmates to come to her birthday party.

Another thing that comes to mind. We live near a school, and DD had observed that there were kids on the playground ALL day. In fact, she can hear them on the playground when we're doing work inside. At the suggestion of a friend, who also lives right by an elementary school, we did a day of school outside on the porch. DD was able to observe that, yes, there are kids outside all day, but those whistly sounds she hears every 10-15 minutes are a group lining up and a new group coming out. So no, you DON'T get to play outside, all day, every day when you go to "Regular school"-you get to play outside for maybe 15 minutes. Whereas when you're homeschooled (and are 6 years old, so school doesn't take very long), you get to go to the park for HOURS at a time.

Edited by dmmetler

She just thinks it's going to be more fun all day long. Ask her what she thinks it would be like to go to school. Then let her know what it's really like (or see if what she wants are things you can provide). My son wanted to go because his preschool had this hinged bookcase/cabinet that intrigued him, LOL! Some kids want to ride a bus or have a locker, some kids think it's like preschool and just games...find out what she's thinking.

But kids want lots of things that they think are good that aren't really the best for them--you get to decide that.

Merry :-)

My 6 year-old DD has said that also. She wants to ride on a school bus, mostly. And she's very social. I may have to look into co-op earlier than I planned. She has pulled the bored thing. And since that didn't work, now she says she's tired whenever she doesn't want to do whatever she's supposed to be doing at the moment. I worried about all this, too. I worried if she would be better off in a charter school, whether I'd be able to make it interesting for her, etc. My DH said pretty much what everyone else has, and made me feel better. FWIW, I do try to mix up the task order each day now, and also let them go play for 10 or 15 minutes if I need time to prep for the next thing. I just tell them they may go play, but I'll need them back at the table in a bit. I have also told her what "real" school and school buses are like. I don't exaggerate; just let her know that the rules are a lot more stringent there than here.

Good input from everyone. I agree, you're the parent and knows what's best for your child better than she does at 6. I also wonder if you're questioning your judgment or your situation with her because she's your first child to homeschool from the start. Like you said you wonder if she doesn't know what she's missing, etc. I think that's only because that's what you're familiar with since that's how it worked for your older two. While that was their experience and they know why they prefer homeschool, many other kids who homeschool never had that experience to compare to and they do just fine.

I agree. What she thinks school is and what school really is are two different things. My sister had a rough time with her oldest daughter last year. She thought she wanted to go to school. But what she thought school was and what it is were two different thing. The one year she did attend school was in preschool. But now she was in third grade and still had the idea that school was fun, and you had play time and it was easy.

She made my sister's life a living h#ll until she was able to go. So my sister sent her and she has now learned that school was not what she thought it was in her head, and is begging to go back home.

So really even at older ages they really don't know or understand. Children sometimes get these thoughts in their heads as to what they think its like , especially if they've never been there or only attended preschool. All of my girls went through that stage at that age. They thought it would be great to ride the bus, they thought their friends played in school all day long.

They did attend last year and my two middle ones are finishing out this year. They have learned that school is anything but what they thought it was. But they went for a different reason than my sister's children.

Most times kids think they are going to play all day, want to ride on a bus , or they have a totally different idea of what they think it is. If school is boring at home then its time to spiffy things up a little. Maybe she is a more hands on learner. At that age you can do lots of hands on things, games, use All About Spelling , read books together.

My youngest attended prek last year. But due to some of her health issues it was just not feasible to do again. So she went through a period of telling me how she wanted to go back to school. But to be honest we spent a good part of last year with her asking me to take her back home when I had to go in and do a few medical things with her. You are the parent and you know what is best for her.

See if your school will let her be a visitor for a day. She'd have a better understanding of what school is like.

That can sometimes backfire on you. We did this and my girls wanted to go. Going for one day was fun to them. What they didn't understand was they had to go everyday for the next 10 months.