Menu

signs that make you groan

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, the gratuitous K! There's a restaurant in my area called "Kountry Kitchen" and I refuse to go there on principle (well, that, and they seem to feature something called Extra-Thick Gravy, which scares me).

I threatened to hold an intervention for a friend who was considering starting a business and naming it Kathy's Kurtains.

So...do those Ks maim koalas?

Thanks, MiHH! :) I saw another one today at a car wash but didn't get a photo. "Senior Citizen Wash--$15." In case you have any dirty grandmas. Or grandma's.

My favorite church sign of all time was not a groaner, IMO, but I'll share it anyway. It said, "Eschew Obfuscation."

I wonder how many people who saw it actually understood it.

Oh man...

There's a Catholic church a couple of towns over that always makes me do a double-take. As I drive by quickly, the sign which reads "Church of Saint Ann" in one of those crowded fonts morphs into something very different....the modern-font "i" and "n" sort of meld together and I ALWAYS read it as "Church of Satan." :001_huh:

ON THE SAME ROAD is a grooming salon that just absolutely KILLS me...

"Bow's and Bandanna's"

My dh calls this particular road "The Boulevard of Unfortunate Signage." :D

astrid

There's a church near here which has "Kids Khoir Kamp" every summer. So not only do you have gratuitous misspellings, but you have kids running around with t-shirts with a big KKK on them-which is usually visible long before the rest of the print.

Uh...don't think I'll be signing DD up for THAT one!!!

There's a church near here which has "Kids Khoir Kamp" every summer. So not only do you have gratuitous misspellings, but you have kids running around with t-shirts with a big KKK on them-which is usually visible long before the rest of the print.

YES! I was going to post about a school where my son played a basketball game. The cafeteria had a name...the Keithly Kolts Kafe. Idioitic.

Edited by Amy1k

My kids were on a trip in Texas and passed through a town named Uncertain. They had the nerve to not bring me a photo of a sign in front of a church that read- The Church Of Uncertain.

I had to google it: Church of Uncertain

It's, you guessed it, non denominational...

TX has some great ones. I always got a kick out of driving through/by Earth :),

There's a Chinese restaurant in the town where my good friend lives that is called "Resh Wok". The previous restaurant was called "Fresh Wok", but along the way, the "F" had fallen down and been lost. The new owners just went with what was there. I believe that they now have a new sign, with the new name.

:D I can't stop giggling at this one!

There's a Chinese restaurant in the town where my good friend lives that is called "Resh Wok". The previous restaurant was called "Fresh Wok", but along the way, the "F" had fallen down and been lost. The new owners just went with what was there. I believe that they now have a new sign, with the new name.

That's rather charming.

We once saw a restaurant named "Dynasty Chinese Buffet," but the initial "d" and "y" had been covered up by a sagging flag. I wonder if they noticed a downturn in business. Much like when the KFC near me years ago had a lighted sign saying, "The Colonel." Naturally, the "e" and "l" in colonel burned out. Niiiice.

:lol::lol:

Not a business, but there's a street near us called "Backlick Road". I'll leave the mental images to you. :tongue_smilie:

We used to live off of Backlick Road! VA has some doozies.....like the correct local pronunciation of Fauquier County....DH did a double take the first time he heard that one.

I think even worse than an intentional cutesy spelling is a misspelling in a business name. :glare:

I never liked the record store Wherehouse in CA because of this.

Much like when the KFC near me years ago had a lighted sign saying, "The Colonel." Naturally, the "e" and "l" in colonel burned out. Niiiice.

When I was a child we never got a picture of it, but the sign lost a few letters so spelled (for months):

Country

Fried

ick

:lol: I do wish I had a picture. Seriously... MONTHS!!! (if not years)

When I was a child we never got a picture of it, but the sign lost a few letters so spelled (for months):

Country

Fried

ick

:lol: I do wish I had a picture. Seriously... MONTHS!!! (if not years)

Why do they not fix these things? The KFC sign was like that so long people started to refer casually to it as "The Colon." "So, you want to grab some lunch at The Colon before torts class?"

What's worse (and I have to wonder if this was intentional), the other side of the same KFC had a "Kentucky Fried Chicken" sign, but all the letters in Kentucky except the K and Y were burned out. Again, stayed like that for ages. Maybe it was all some clever marketing strategy?

There was a highway sign on Interstate 70 for years in my area that notified drivers that "facilites" were available up ahead. It drove me crazy every day on the way home from work. I tried and tried to not look at it but it was hopeless. :lol:

They finally corrected it, but the new sign letters are smaller than the original.

There's another sign, this one at a self-storage facility. The "sto" has been burned out for years: "self-rage."

Sandy

Edited by sandellie4

I grew up in WI and they have a "Bong Recreation Area"

My dh was going to a school in another part of VA and passed a hotel with a sign that read "Hot Brea_st with every room" because the kfa from breakfast had fallen off.

My BIL was busting a gut when he got off a plane here to visit us because the pilot kept pronouncing Norfolk as "No F**K" due to his accent and I've noticed that some locals tend to have it come out sounding that way too.

How about the...

Curl Up and Dye Salon

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh! We just drove past this one on our way to a ski race last weekend. :lol::confused::lol:

Imagine a bus full of highschoolers spending the next 6 hours informing one another that they should "curl up and dye." Yeah ... that went over great with the parents.

Who on earth thinks of these things?