Menu

Do you require your kids to play outside

We don't school over the summer since my oldest dd goes to high school and we follow her schedule. I really don't mind the kids staying up late or sleeping late for that matter but I'm starting to get annoyed that all my two younger kids (10 and 13) want to do all day is sit inside and watch TV, play computer games, etc. etc during the day. Three days a week my ds has baseball games and the rest of the nights the kids usually play outside until dark but other than that they have been sleeping until 10:00, eating breakfast, perhaps doing a few chores and then watching TV/computer games the rest of the day. I'll admit that it is really hot outside today but I told them that they could play with water guns or even turn on the sprinkler.

Normally we've gone to the pool several times by now but this year I don't get home with my oldest dd from driver's ed until 2:00. On nights when my ds has baseball games that doesn't give us enough time to go to the pool and back. For some reason the other afternoons have all been stormy so we haven't gone then either.

Am I being the mean mom by expecting them to play outside for at least part of the day? Most days they do spend some time reading so that is ok but I think they need daily sunshine and exercise. I realize that they aren't little anymore and it's not as much fun playing outside as it used to be though.

Am I being the mean mom by expecting them to play outside for at least part of the day?

I require it everyday. Not only that, but we have firm rules (and consequences to follow) for coming in and out after I have said "GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY".

it is an expectation around here. even with us doing school int he summer they are expected to spend non school time outside enjoying the weather. Of course I am lucky in that my kids love being outside so it is not a problem, usually I have a hard time getting them back inside again. Usually I send them to the community park by us in the summer because they run a supervised program all summer with games, crafts, fieldtrips etc, they leave here at 10 am, walk over, phone home a couple times during the day to check in, skip a few meals and come home at 8:30 pm when it ends, filthy, starved and exhausted, my oldest is turning 10 and it is one of his favorite things to do. Of course the fact there is enough older kids for pick up games of soccer, baseball etc and a skateboard park attached helps alot.

On the other hand I was not the kind of kid that enjoyed the outdoors, even recess at school I stayed in the library. DO you have a gazebo or something you can set up in the back yard so they can at least read etc out there even if not of and playing? Is there enough older kids in your neighborhood for street hockey etc?

No -- I sweat like crazy and so does my middle son. I would hate it if someone forced me to play outside, so I would not force my children to. I am so glad my mom was okay with me being an inside person when it was hot out when I was growing up.

There are plenty of nice days in a year to focus on getting enough sunshine. My boys would play outside in the winter here over 95 degree heat anyday.

My boys also watch very little video in a day (we don't have television) and rarely play video games. They are very creative when inside, and for this I am thankful.

I do try to kick mine outside a little everyday. But the bigger issue to me from your post is the computer and tv time. Maybe tell them they can only watch or do an hour of that a day? Then maybe they will venture out?

The problem will probably resolve itself some when you can get to the pool more.

It's not that I necessarily expect them to go outside every day in the heat of the day. This morning I suggested that they go out first thing this morning instead of lying around and watching TV all day. They want to sleep late (10 am) so by the time they are up and dressed with a few chores done it is almost lunchtime. Then of course it is too hot out, etc.

I really wouldn't mind if they wanted some inside time to do crafts, read, etc. but it seems like such a waste for them to just play computer and watch TV all day.

They really like playing outside but on their own terms. What's funny is on those days where I have to run errands and bring them with they complain about not having time to play outside :)

I'm thinking about changing our guidelines for computer game/tv use. We have rules during the school year but they tend to get lost during the summer. I'm also thinking about making them wake up earlier but I feel mean about doing that. My dd is a night owl and really needs her sleep.

My kids spend no time watching tv and at most watch one movie a week. They get a little bit of DS time, but we don't do video or computer games. I don't make them play outside, but they play outside a lot naturally. THey both are involved in sports and have to practice violin and do chorse, and after that, I pretty much leave them alone. They were on the sofa reading all day today, and tonight have a swim meet.

I require it.

I require 3 hours of outdoor play a day right now. We have had the AC on 3 days so far, so there's less temptation to just veg out inside. If you spend time outside, you *adjust*. I promise! Kids, too. It will only feel hot until they're used to being outside.

If the heat index is under 105, they're outside.

My kids go outside while I fix lunch. This is usually 30-60 minutes, cause fixing lunch includes cleaning up breakfast, checking the dinner menu and various other things. They are usually done with school by then, but if my 7 yo has had a bad morning, she will finish up school stuff during dd4 nap.

We don't go outside if it requires more than a fleece hoodie and gloves (It takes too long to get them dressed) or if it is really hot and humid. But we have a pool, so we are all out some every day so the heat is not as much of an issue.

In Houston June, July and August are pretty miserable.

We live near Phoenix, AZ. I do not make my kids go outside. It is beyond miserably hot out there.

From another perspective......

I live near Houston myself.

I lived in AZ, near Phoenix for 8 years.

I *still* expected my kids to play outside. When we were in AZ, I was with them since they were younger. We went outside in the morning and in the evening. Or, in between in our pool.

Now that I think about it, outside in the am and pm are our routine here, too.

I have to push them outside when none of their friends are home, or when it's really hot in the afternoon.

A few months ago, I couldn't get the kids to stay inside, but, they had this sweet little girl who was homeschooled and visiting family down the street.

My daughter said that "C was a real friend." We all miss her and hope she comes for a visit soon.

I guess my kids are very social like their mom. :D

I do. I mean, they usually want to go outside, but even if they're being sluggish and want to stay in I have been known to throw them outside and lock the door. When it's beastly hot I only do that in the morning or later when the sun has gone down, but apart from a thunderstorm day I strongly encourage them to get outside every day.

We school year round and dd is required to be outside a majority of the day after her school work and chores are finished. No tv, computer, or video games, just lots of fresh air and exercise (we live on a mountain). If it is too hot to play she curls up in the swing on the front porch with a book or does art stuff.

I struggle with this too. I'm not an outdoorsy person AT ALL, so I don't force. Plus, I tried implementing a "15 minutes per day" policy (because 15 minutes usually turned into an hour), but it really set up a huge daily battle of wills between the two of us, so I let it go. Of course, mine are little, but unless I'm out there leading them in some kind of play, my DD5 would much rather be inside playing/reading/acting etc.

Now that our pool is up and running, it's less of an issue, but she still wants me in there and fully interacting with her. We don't have many kids in our neighborhood either :(

We don't really have kids in the neighborhood to play with, but I put the sprinkler under the trampoline and they will stay out there for HOURS. (:

I like the gazebo idea, or a hammock for just spending some relaxing outdoor time reading, if they're too old/don't feel like "playing." :001_smile:

Yup. I kick 'em out! But usually they can't wait to get out there because so much of the year is wintery (or if not wintery per say, not pleasant enough to play outside for very long). When it's nice out they will spend two or three hours at a time outside. They would ride bikes all day now if they could.

Let me comfort you...having kids in the neighborhood is a mixed blessing.;)

:lol: I believe you. We do have one boy my DD5's age, and his mom really wants them (and us!) to be playing together ALL THE TIME. Sometimes I have to hide a little :blushing:

We don't really have kids in the neighborhood to play with, but I put the sprinkler under the trampoline and they will stay out there for HOURS. (:

I like the gazebo idea, or a hammock for just spending some relaxing outdoor time reading, if they're too old/don't feel like "playing." :001_smile:

Actually, this IS a really good idea. I wonder what I could get my hands on to put out there...

That doesn't have to be playing out. They have martial arts classes, go to the pool, roller blade.... If they have not exercised by the end of the day, then they run a mile, do some stretches and weights.

We restrict TV and computer time to a couple of hours at weekends, or one hour a day during the summer holiday.

Laura

If you are a mean Mom so am I. In fact, my kids tell me so quite often when I make them play outside and they don't want to. Yes, there are many times I will make them go play outside. The other day I even locked the door (we live on over an acre of fully fenced yard and I checked on them occassionally) because they kept coming in and out and in and out asking when they could come in. I told them when I unlocked the door they could come in.

I don't think you are hurting them at all to make them play outside, it's good for them!

We live in Tempe, AZ. In the summer heat I tend not to enforce DD going out. I don't want to be out there, why should she have to be?

This fall when the temperatures drop, I'm going to mandate several hours outside a day...for BOTH of us. I'm sure I'll be more successful getting her out there if I do as I say as well! I also want to work on getting us up early in the mornings, but with working nights it's been problematic. DD doesn't go to bed well for DH and winds up sleeping in...I've contemplated waking her and trying to get her to take an afternoon nap with me, but that makes her want to stay up even later.

This is the time of year when my normally outdoorsy kids hibernate (or should it be estivate) in the AC. Of course it depends on your weather. In Houston June, July and August are pretty miserable.

I grew up 1 hour north of Houston. I played outside constantly. So did everyone else in my neighborhood.

You adjust. REALLY!

We live near Phoenix, AZ. I do not make my kids go outside. It is beyond miserably hot out there.

Zero humidity. A lot more pleasant than where I grew up. Put up some shade. Put in a mister if you have to--or an outdoor fan. They'll be FINE! They adjust!

We often homeschool OUTSIDE here. It's cooler, but the heat index can be very high. (I need my mosquito trap to come back before I can do this again because we live next to a swamp, though.) If the temp is above 50 and below 95, I want to be outside so the kids will play outside more. And, yes, I'm pregnant. Once you adjust, you adjust.

With the younger two I don't have to require it on nice days. They know that if the sun is shining the TV and video games are a no-no so they go out to play without being told. The oldest we make go outside when we are out there. We adopted a puppy for her from the shelter earlier this year so training, walking and playing with him have her outside without being told more this year than in the past.

Our Pediatrician pushes for at least 20 minutes per day...no sunscreen. Anyone else heard this one?

I would even stretch that to an hour in my unprofessional opinion. :) Doesn't sunscreen block some of the Vitamin D that we need from the sun?

Yes, I do require the kids (ages 12, 7, and 5) to go outside and play every day, weather permitting. My kids don't love it, but it's a house rule and aside from a groan here and there, they usually go out without too much fuss. They usually stay outside anywhere from 1-3 hours, depending on the day. I actually wish they would stay out much longer, I know I did when I was growing up, but I think that is at least adequate time to get fresh air, sunshine, and exercise.

Our usual rule for tv is no tv/movies until after dinner. I do make exceptions to that once in awhile in the summer, but it's the general policy. Both boys have a handheld video game system, and they are allowed to play that about once a day, for about 30 minutes.

I wish my kids loved to play outside, because I think it's so good for them, and I loved it as a child myself. Some of my best childhood memories are of spending my days outside with my friends, figuring out creative things to do together. It makes me sad that my kids might not have those sorts of memories, because they don't really play outside long enough or creatively enough to have that kind of fun. But, situations are different, and they will have other good memories of growing up that will just be different from mine. But I am still sticking to my guns that they still need to spend some time outside every day.

Erica

No, I don't force my kids outside whatever the weather. But, I do put limits on screen time in holidays, so that tends to push them outside or to be more creative about what they do, inside.

We have stinking hot summers here. (Of course, its winter now though...beautiful rain, gorgeous sunsets, wonderful storms). I prefer my kids DONT go outside in the middle of the day in the heat of summer because I dont like using sunscreen on them etc. It seems more sensible to me to spend the heat of the day indoors and go outside morning and evening. But I don't have to force one child...he has street friends. The other child...well, I don't force her outside, but I do force her to get off the computer and go do something. Usually, she paints. And in summer holidays, we go to the beach early morning several times a week if we can.

All in all they do spend plenty of time outside, with Scouts, friends, park time with other homeschoolers etc. No Vitamin D shortage around here.

Doesn't sunscreen block some of the Vitamin D that we need from the sun?

Yes, but 15 minutes is all one needs a day, and Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin which means the excess is stored by the body, so you don't need it every day. Also, milk is fortified with Vitamin D and multivitamins come with it.

And if my son (or I) were in the sun 1 hour a day without sunscreen, we would fry. My husband is already having precancerous spots removed from his face. Not everyone has the melanin protection of others.

I wanted to note that my boys do play outside in the summer, usually late in the day when it cools down some. They ride their bikes (only in front of the house, I do not think they should be riding around the neighborhood alone yet), or they swin, or play on their fortress with their knight or pirate toys and climbing wall. Sometimes they play bubbles. Sometimes they dig their own little gardens and try to plant rootings. They go jet-sking once a week with Dad.

But, when they go outside and come back in saying it's sooooo hot, I give them the benefit of the doubt. I just don't see the need for forcing the issue. Normally, they love being outside for part of the day, so I let them make the call. Thankfully, we have a huge tree in the backyard (with a rope swing) so I don't have to use sunscreen on them if they play back there.

It also becomes difficult to play outside when the mosquitoes get bad, and I don't like having to use spray unless really necessary. For some reason, our backyard gets swarms of them. So far, so good -- no mosquitoes. Perhaps it's because of the drought we're having?

In the spring, we do very little school because the boys never want to come in. I have considered switching my school "year" to include winter and summer full-time with spring and fall part-time.

I really wouldn't mind if they wanted some inside time to do crafts, read, etc. but it seems like such a waste for them to just play computer and watch TV all day.

So turn off the TV/computer.

When my dc were little we continued with our weekly library and field trip days year-round, which meant that there were always new books around to pique their interest and that we were out of the house all day at least once a week. That helped with limiting TV (no computer back in the day) without seeming to draconian, and it kept us just a little organized, KWIM?

If the weather isn't awful, they usually want to go out anyway. But when I have to coat with bug spray and you sweat just opening the door, I don't force it. It can get so miserable here. Decent weather, they'll stay out all day. Super hot, nope. But that's why I start school in July. When the weather is nice in May and in the fall, we can break and go out a lot then.

Oh, can you hear them, my sobs of joy? Oh you lovely door lockers and kicker outers! Thank you! After recently moving from a forum that would have called CPS on me for insisting my children go outside it is WONDERFUL to hear from other mommies who think that is perfectly fine. Mine are too young right now (2 and 4, with no fence) but when they are older... oh yeah.

I have a checklist/chart thing of sorts each day where the kids can mark off activities - it also includes their morning and evening routines (like brush teeth, bath etc). They don't have to do each thing everyday but it helps alleviate some of the "i'm bored" complaining. Stuff on our chart for them to check off each day include:

play outside

ride bike

art time

read

math drill (I require my oldest 2 kids to do 20 minutes of fact drill on the computer - they actually enjoy it so it's not a huge deal)

storytime (basically our read alouds)

On the whole they don't watch tv during the day and only play the wii on the weekends (1/2 hour per day Sat/sun) so they are pretty limited in that regard. If it's a rainy day and they can't go outside I will usually allow tv as long as it's animal planet or discovery channel or similar.

I find if I limit the tv and video games that going outside isn't an issue - they want to play outside.