Menu

What did you think of Half Time?

Well, she IS Madonna (who I used to love, love, love), but I honestly thought it was a bit slow and awkward. I enjoyed the songs but thought her moves were a little "off".

:iagree: Someone needs to tell her that her 20's were a long time ago. :001_smile:

ROFL :lol::lol::lol:

Roger may not have the voice he had in his Tommy days anymore, but he can still hit that "YEAAAAAAH" from Won't Get Fooled Again. :)

I *love* The Who, but there were 25 years between Live Aid and the 2010 Superbowl. They were rocking', but he easily sings an octave lower now. I can't help it, it just isn't the same.

I *love* The Who, but there were 25 years between Live Aid and the 2010 Superbowl. They were rocking', but he easily sings an octave lower now. I can't help it, it just isn't the same.

True. It's not the same, but I still loved their performance from the Superbowl. I thought it was awesome. It was like a concert. If I had the chance to see them live I'd still go even though they're not like they used to be.

The one who really breaks my heart is Steve Perry. He had such a gorgeous voice when he first joined Journey back in... was it '78 or '79... can't remember the exact year, but omg what a voice. His voice is gone now and it's so sad.

Stevie Nicks too. Those two make me so sad.

Roger Daltrey has always been a rocker not a crooner, kwim, so I guess it doesn't bother me that much that he's not the same. He's still good enough because it wasn't just his voice but the music itself that made The Who great. It was all of them, but of course that's just my opinion. :p

Well, she IS Madonna (who I used to love, love, love), but I honestly thought it was a bit slow and awkward. I enjoyed the songs but thought her moves were a little "off".

:iagree:

I had my own Youtube half time show. I watched Queen's Live Aid Performance. Now that's a show and a half.

Now that was an awesome live show! Gives me chills every time I watch it. Freddie Mercury was an amazing performer.

I had my own Youtube half time show. I watched Queen's Live Aid Performance. Now that's a show and a half.

You had the right idea Peg! I wish I had watched this instead. :) Ay Freddie! How you are missed. There is no one else who can take his place. One of a kind.

:iagree:

Now that was an awesome live show! Gives me chills every time I watch it. Freddie Mercury was an amazing performer.

Amen. I'm watching it right now. Freddie is in such top form here. So healthy and energetic, his voice was perfect. Ay, why do the good die so young??? :crying:

Dh is not a Madonna fan, but even so he thought it was one of the better halftime shows in recent years. I didn't see the whole show, just the last part. I thought the choir robe costumes were weird. The World Peace message at the end seemed out of place. If it was boring... well, I'm glad it wasn't outrageous and inappropriate. I love Madonna's music, so I enjoyed that part of the show.

I thought it was pretty good.

Technically, it was great. There weren't any weird sound mishaps and you could hear all the words she was "singing". :D

Visually, it was beautiful. All of the special effects were awesome.

The choreography was a little slow and weird. But she is 53.

All in all, it was much better than I expected for Madonna. Much. It really did put the Black Eyed Peas show to shame.

She managed to avoid singing any of her songs that I actually like. :confused:

I didn't really watch because generally I hate the halftime show - all I want is the football! But I did comment to my dc that it didn't look like a live show. Something seemed off to me. I think the shows should be more concert-ish (but not The Who :)).

Better than last years Black Eyed Peas disaster. It could have been worse.

All in all, it was much better than I expected for Madonna. Much. It really did put the Black Eyed Peas show to shame.

:iagree::iagree: The Black Eyed Peas were horrible! They don't do live well. To me it's always been a sign of a great band when they sound just as good live as they do on their albums.

:iagree::iagree: The Black Eyed Peas were horrible! They don't do live well. To me it's always been a sign of a great band when they sound just as good live as they do on their albums.

Like Bruce Springsteen. Wow, could that man and the E Street band put on a show. They were better live than recorded.

In tonight's show we were intrigued by the man bouncing on the tightrope. Not bad for a guy in a dress.

Madonna was moving slow. I understand CeeLo was wearing a choir robe, but it being made out of red sequins, he looked like a space alien. A regal one, but still a space alien.

The lighting was beautiful. Until the big world peace projection, anyway.

In tonight's show we were intrigued by the man bouncing on the tightrope. Not bad for a guy in a dress.

Madonna was moving slow. I understand CeeLo was wearing a choir robe, but it being made out of red sequins, he looked like a space alien. A regal one, but still a space alien.

The lighting was beautiful. Until the big world peace projection, anyway.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Like Bruce Springsteen. Wow, could that man and the E Street band put on a show. They were better live than recorded.
:iagree::iagree: Bruce was AWESOME!! But honestly when is he ever not? He and the E Street band always put on a heck of a show!

I have always loved Madonna. People keep saying "well she IS 53", yea she is, but how old is Tina Turner??? Or even Cher?

Dancing has never been Madonna's forte. It was her outgrageous performances in the 80's, and it is painfully obvious this is who Lady Gaga is emmulating. X100.

All in all, Madonna is and always will be a famous icon. Well, to those who like her.

And remember, the choreography is very difficult to do in less then a 15 minute performance. And, I would rather have Madonna act like a cheerleader, then see Lady Gaga come out in a meat costume or be out half naked.

And yes, she did pull a hamstring prior to the show.

I still think she is terrific.

And I really enjoyed LMFAO. Wish they would have performed more.

Edited by dancer67

What do ya'll mean by slow? Honest question. Do you mean that there should have been more jumpy gymnastic dancing?

Given the energy of the production, Madonna took a long time in setting up her dance solos. She didn't have the "umph" factor seen in more recent dance/pop performers. If you contrast Nicki's moves with Madonna's, I felt you saw the difference. The cartwheels were slow, awkward, and unneccessary. I loved the show, but I felt the gymnastic moments were Madonna trying to show how hip she still is. It would have been better if she had gone diva, have some men carry her around the stage, and let everything else revolve around her, like the opening set with the men pulling her to the stage. That was Madonna!

I only saw the end when she dropped into a hole in a black mu-mu.

I keep trying to figure out what in the world they can do next...really, who is left? There are no mega bands/performers who can appeal across such a large demographic (I think the Black Eyed Peas was such a dumb choice, BTW, even if it wasn't a disaster).

I want to see a full onslaught DEVO show, Sonic Youth, The Buzzcocks, or heck, a mixed cassette tape from 1991 played through a boombox and one dude breakdancing to it. :D

Blue man group could probably do a pretty interesting show, too.

I'm not a Madonna fan but I don't dislike her either. That being said, she was already "off" with the lip-sync in the first line (DH and I both noticed) and it was painful watching her try to dance in those heels. I actually think she may have hurt herself falling off the bench thing because she moved so oddly after that.

Mostly, I'm just cheesed-off that I was watching but missed the whole MIA flipping the camera off. That may have livened it up for me.

She managed to avoid singing any of her songs that I actually like. :confused:

I didn't really watch because generally I hate the halftime show - all I want is the football! But I did comment to my dc that it didn't look like a live show. Something seemed off to me. I think the shows should be more concert-ish (but not The Who :)).

I figured out why - the music wasn't live.

I think the NFL should figure out their target demographic and choose a current person, not a has-been megastar, which to me, seems to be their MO. Why are Adam Levine and Maroon 5 good enough for the opening game of the season but not the Super Bowl? Why not have Kelly Clarkson do the halftime show - she was already there. What about Carrie Underwood? People who are currently on the charts now, or up-and-coming people who need the exposure - are you listening, NFL? Probably not - they've never listened to me about anything else. Well, they did move the Pro Bowl back to Hawaii, but who knows if it will stay there, and it's still before the Super Bowl, which sucks.

We enjoyed it. My husband and I were poised to change the channel if it got too raunchy or off color for our little ones, but we were pleasantly surprised with how tame it was, for Madonna. We must not have been paying close enough attention, because we totally missed the MIA gesture. I was glad that Madonna dressed appropriately for her age, and didn't try to look like a 20's teeny bopper while in her 50s. Our boys had fun dancing around to the music.

The show wasn't that bad. Last year's show was boring as heck to me.

How funny! We actually watched this concert last night as well. After the game, the boys played Lego Rock Band for a little while and their favorite songs to sing are the Queen songs. Our seven year old was cracking us up with his Freddie Mercury moves and his looooong notes. So then we popped in our Queen Live Aid DVD and enjoyed the real thing. Definitely the best concert of the night!

We enjoyed it. She did look like she was having trouble with those heels. I'm glad she didn't sing "Like a Virgin" as I didn't want my young ones to hear that one. I liked the cheerleader song and my favorite was the marching band! Something about her seemed off but it was still a pretty good show.

I figured out why - the music wasn't live.

I think the NFL should figure out their target demographic and choose a current person, not a has-been megastar, which to me, seems to be their MO.

They have. Their target demographic is people over 35, who have the money to spend and reliably watch the game.

Why are Adam Levine and Maroon 5 good enough for the opening game of the season but not the Super Bowl? Why not have Kelly Clarkson do the halftime show - she was already there. What about Carrie Underwood? People who are currently on the charts now, or up-and-coming people who need the exposure - are you listening, NFL?

The Super Bowl halftime is just about always somebody who has been a megastar. Somebody that almost everyone will watch, even if they grumble about it, because everyone knows who it is.

They have. Their target demographic is people over 35, who have the money to spend and reliably watch the game.

The Super Bowl halftime is just about always somebody who has been a megastar. Somebody that almost everyone will watch, even if they grumble about it, because everyone knows who it is.

I'm over 35 and I watch every game from preseason to the Pro Bowl. And I've never liked a halftime show, really. For several of them I was worried that an elderly gentleman on stage would keel over with a heart attack. Of course, maybe I don't like the halftime show because I care about the football, not the show and not the commercials.

Megastar? Fine. Just let's get a current megastar.