Menu

If you don't have a smartphone...

If you have a Costco membership, they have great prices on phones. I got ds a basic phone there and it was much cheaper than at the Verizon store. The other nice thing, is that the rep could look at our usage at Verizon and compare the rate with ATT. At first she thought ATT would be cheaper for us due to a current special at the time, but once she actually checked our usage (dh uses A LOT of data time) she said that Verizon was a better deal. (We were alredy with Verizon, but our contract was up so we were deciding if we wanted to change carriers.)

I really liked the low pressure, the ability to compare plans without a salesman trying to pull me one way or the other, the phones to choose from and at the rep we had, really knew her products. It was cheaper that the Verizon store too, so that really made me happy.

We were able to use our employers discount too, so that dropped the price even further.

Our pricing won't help you because dh has a smart phone but ds and I don't use a data package.

I just have a tracphone that is emergency only I spent about $40 on minutes for the year, previously had bought double minutes. Dh has one as well and has double minutes. He buys minutes every few months and it avgs to $15-$20 a month, that is it here. We have plain jane phones but it works for talking and texting just fine.

... what phone do you have? Who is your provider and how much do you pay monthly?

It's almost time to replace our Iphones. As much as I'd love another Iphone, I'm not going to buy one again.

So what is out there that is worth getting?

We chose our plan before choosing a phone. We dropped our Verizon contract and our landline and switched to Cricket. Dh and I each have 1000 mins., unlimited text and web for $35/mo. I don't know how anyone can use the web though; it's too hard to see. Maybe I just need to practice more.

Ds doesn't call anyone, but we wanted a spare and an extra phone in case he was home alone, so his phone is 300 mins., unlimited text and web for $25/mo.

The phone choices are minimal (two choices), but they're hearty. Dh sits on his phone all the time, and we've both dropped them accidentally from high places, but they've held up.

Dd has an unlimited text-only phone (no voice) from t-mobile for $15/mo.

We have LGs that are almost 5 years old.

We don't replace our phones until they die. We also didn't renew our contract after the initial two year contract.

We pay a monthly fee to Verizon (they don't even have our plan anymore) of $70. That covers two phones and gives us unlimited texts to each other and other Verizon customers, unlimited long distance, 700 minutes of other calls, and 50 texts to non-Verizon customers.

Verizon said they couldn't begin to match that plan now so we just keep things the way they are.

We don't need or want internet access on our phones.

I have a pre-pay phone for myself; dh's office supplies him with a smart phone.

My monthly cost is pretty low; I usually load 90 days for $20 = $-7 a month.

I can load different amounts of minutes for specific periods of time, like 30days, 60, 90, 6 months or a year. My phone has text and each call or text has a minimum deduction. My minutes roll over, and I have tons of them.

Edited by Tammyla

I just have a tracphone that is emergency only I spent about $40 on minutes for the year, previously had bought double minutes. Dh has one as well and has double minutes. He buys minutes every few months and it avgs to $15-$20 a month, that is it here. We have plain jane phones but it works for talking and texting just fine.

How did you limit the cost to only $40 per year? DD has a Tracfone mainly for emergencies only. Even with double minutes, we have to add a minimum of $20 every three months regardless of how many minutes we haven't used yet.

How did you limit the cost to only $40 per year? DD has a Tracfone mainly for emergencies only. Even with double minutes, we have to add a minimum of $20 every three months regardless of how many minutes we haven't used yet.

We buy minutes once a year for our Tracphone. It includes a year of service and a lot of minutes. I don't remember the cost.

we are rural. the only network where a phone will ring at our house is AT&T.

we picked the plan (the least expensive), looked at usage and added unlimited texting.

it will come to ~$53 a month. (due to a small discount thru dh's work)

then we picked a phone. i ended up with a pantech link..... its only been a day, but so far i like it a lot.....

hth,

ann

... what phone do you have? Who is your provider and how much do you pay monthly?

It's almost time to replace our Iphones. As much as I'd love another Iphone, I'm not going to buy one again.

We have GoPhones with AT&T but we do NOT use them as GoPhones. We use them on our regular lines in place of the smartphones we dumped. We just switched sims cards, called AT&T and had them drop the data charges. We have unlimited text. So, we pay about $30 a month for unlimited call and text per line. We are happy with them and are very relieved we have no more high data charges. Hard to get used to at first but now no problems. We don't miss them.

I have a Tracfone. It cost $20 and included a "double minutes for the life of the phone" card. I pay $100/year for a card with 1 year service and 400 minutes (800 because of the doubling card). Texting is 1/3 the cost of a minutes of calling.

We don't have cell service at home, and service in our area is sporadic with the mountains getting in the way.

Edited by Amy in NH

We have Consumer Cellular, and it costs around $55/month for 2 phones. I know we have 500 texts with that (I sometimes go over by a few), but we never come near using our minutes and web data, so I'm not even sure what the limits are for those. I make all of my calls on my cell, plus regularly read the NY Times, go on Facebook, and check weather.com.

I have a basic tracfone. I paid $10 for a package that had the phone, charger, car charger, earbud for handsfree, and double minutes for life. I pay about $10 every month or so, which gets me 60 minutes, which is just about what I use.

We have a landline for the majority of our calls.

I have a basic tracfone. I paid $10 for a package that had the phone, charger, car charger, earbud for handsfree, and double minutes for life. I pay about $10 every month or so, which gets me 60 minutes, which is just about what I use.

We have a landline for the majority of our calls.

Straight Talk - $30 monthly for 1000 minutes (40Kb data) or $40.00 for unlimited. Works great for me.

I have an LG Rumor Touch through Virgin Mobile's Beyond Talk Plan.

It is $25/month, but they upped their price to $35/month (I was grandfathered in). I get 300 anytime minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited data.

What I like about VM is their unlimited data really is unlimited. I use the internet on it all the time. Before I got my iPod Touch, it was my main way to use internet (that wasn't a computer).

we have 3 tracfones. We use as little as possible and spend on average $20/month total for all 3.

I had an INSANE conversation over Christmas with someone who insisted the she only paid $10 a month for her Verizion phone and that included all these free minutes and free calls to other Verizion members...basically telling me that I'd get better phones for similar money, blah, blah, blah.

her DH finally spoke up and said she only got that $10 a month deal b/c she was on HIS plan which was over $70/month.

:willy_nilly:

No cell phone, and I rarely answer the landline unless it is DH. I'd like to get rid of the landline and get a prepaid cell. DH calls home daily on his company cell, and I like that. I talk to the adult kids now and then to set up a get together, but that is all the phone talking I want to do. Mostly we use email or facebook to send each other messages or set up get-togethers. I hate the phone.