Menu

Knife control?/Gun control

Okay, I'm going to leave my comfort zone a post something controversial :confused:.

In light of all the gun shooting rampages in schools, malls, etc. in recent years, the gun control issue gets thrown out there whenever something like that happens. Tighter controls over who gets guns? Mental health checks required to get a gun? No guns at all? I struggle with the right to have a gun as provided in the Bill of Rights versus wanting to feel safe in my own shopping mall. I truly believe in the right to bear arms. Now I'm reading about the recent stabbing tragedy in Japan and all the similar knife related killing sprees that have happened over there in recent years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/2098153/Japan-knife-killings-Alleged-killer-Tomohiro-Katos-plans-published-on-internet.html

They do not have guns in Japan so now they have mass murderers using knives!!! The recent killing spree has people in Japan discussing tighter knife control...what?? That sounds eerily similar to talk over here in favor of tighter gun control. Aren't the evil or mentally ill killers out there going to find something to do their damage with? In Japan, lawful abiding citizens do not have guns but all the criminals and organized crime organizations do.

Perhaps there needs to be tighter controls when people apply for their gun licenses. However, if mental illness gets worked into the requirement would you have the government as some sort of Big Brother over our mental health status? I don't know what the answer is, I just wanted to see what all the wise folks in the hive and to say.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a firm believer that an armed society is a polite society. If I were a fan of government solutions, I'd want the government to mandate weapons possession.

But I'm not a fan of government solutions. So I'd be content with the concession to voluntary open carry. Concealed carry is okay, but the best way to deter crime and violence is for those so inclined to be 1)aware of the cost of their actions and 2)subject to immediate reprisal.

I suspect this will not be a popular approach, so I'll zip up my Asbestos Suit.

The problem, as exemplified by the knife in your own example, isn't the weapon. It's the culture, socialization, mental illness and complicated societies in which we live.

It's what creates the monster that needs to be addressed.

Stripping citizens of the right to bear arms won't solve the problem.

:iagree:

I'm a firm believer that an armed society is a polite society. If I were a fan of government solutions, I'd want the government to mandate weapons possession.

But I'm not a fan of government solutions. So I'd be content with the concession to voluntary open carry. Concealed carry is okay, but the best way to deter crime and violence is for those so inclined to be 1)aware of the cost of their actions and 2)subject to immediate reprisal.

IMO we don't need more gun regulation. We need more character training and anger management training.

:iagree: No flames here!

I agree that the more armed people walking around, the less someone might think it a great idea to start shooting people up. I just wish our country wasn't so gun scared and we actually taught our kids gun safety. A little girl just shot herself in Sam's Club the other day with her grandmothers concealed gun. I don't own a gun (yet) but if I did and I had a child with me, I'd be sure she knew not to touch it and that it was there so be careful. Plus, I'd make sure my kids knew what to do and not to do with guns. Gun education would be a good thing if you did have guns around kids.

The UK has ALWAYS had a lower crime rate than the US...except...now that it's just about impossible for a citizen to own a gun, rates of violent crime have been rising steadily so that the UK has overtaken the US in most areas. Planned home invasions are almost unheard of here, but they are commonplace in the UK because the invaders know that the homeowners CAN'T defend themselves. Other patterns of crime are very much following suit. The weak and old suffer the most, of course. But I suppose that's the price you have to pay for a "Safe" society. (insert sarcasm here)

I think we need a return of the Hue and Cry laws and a deprofessionalization of community policing--not to get rid of the professionals we have but to make enforcement EVERYONE'S responsibility, as it used to be.

:iagree: No flames from this quarter, either.

I agree that the more armed people walking around, the less someone might think it a great idea to start shooting people up. I just wish our country wasn't so gun scared and we actually taught our kids gun safety. A little girl just shot herself in Sam's Club the other day with her grandmothers concealed gun. I don't own a gun (yet) but if I did and I had a child with me, I'd be sure she knew not to touch it and that it was there so be careful. Plus, I'd make sure my kids knew what to do and not to do with guns. Gun education would be a good thing if you did have guns around kids.

Yeah, I think that since we don't use guns today as extensively today because we don't need to (we don't *have* to hunt for food, protect livestock), they are a fascination to children who have not been properly instructed how to handle/use them. Thus the accidents. I know this doesn't have anything to do with the op re: crime, but your post struck a nerve with me because a friend of mine's 8yo nephew was shot accidentally in the abdomen yesterday by a friend when they were looking at a gun in the friend's home. He is in critical condition. I agree that it's more about gun education than gun control.

Yeah, I think that since we don't use guns today as extensively today because we don't need to (we don't *have* to hunt for food, protect livestock), they are a fascination to children who have not been properly instructed how to handle/use them. Thus the accidents. I know this doesn't have anything to do with the op re: crime, but your post struck a nerve with me because a friend of mine's 8yo nephew was shot accidentally in the abdomen yesterday by a friend when they were looking at a gun in the friend's home. He is in critical condition. I agree that it's more about gun education than gun control.

I'm so sorry about your friend's son. I will keep him in my prayers.

:iagree: If I had a sandwich board and a bell, I'd be following you around to agree with you on this! :001_smile:

If someone wishing to do me harm thinks that I might be carrying a gun, they would probably think twice. I am all for carrying concealed weapons becuase if it comes down to the safety of my family, I won't think twice about protecting them.

And, I am a very good shot. Just ask my retired P.O dad who taught me how to shoot the 45.;)

IMO we don't need more gun regulation. We need more character training and anger management training.
Government mandated character training and anger management training? :001_smile:

The UK has ALWAYS had a lower crime rate than the US...except...now that it's just about impossible for a citizen to own a gun, rates of violent crime have been rising steadily so that the UK has overtaken the US in most areas. Planned home invasions are almost unheard of here, but they are commonplace in the UK because the invaders know that the homeowners CAN'T defend themselves. Other patterns of crime are very much following suit.
Even the rate of home invasions is explained entirely by gun control, the murder rate in the US (0.042802 per 1,000 people) is much higher than that in the UK (0.0140633 per 1,000 people) and Canada (0.0149063 per 1,000 people).

he still forgot sometimes. I assume from this that he is simply incapable of reliably knowing a safety rule, every single time. Because of this, I would not consider carrying a loaded weapon, allowing one in my house, or allowing my child in a house with one. He's there every day, all day (the monitoring would exhaust me!) and in my 44 years of life thus far, I've not once felt the need to defend myself with any weapon.

As far as deterring crime, I simply do not know the answer to that problem. Here in my city, gun ownership is widespread, and we have one of the highest murder rates in the nation. The criminals here are probably well aware that the liklihood of any given person owning a gun is high, and it doesn't seem to have deterred the killing and maiming one bit. More guns is what we need??

Okay, I'm going to leave my comfort zone a post something controversial :confused:.

In light of all the gun shooting rampages in schools, malls, etc. in recent years, the gun control issue gets thrown out there whenever something like that happens. Tighter controls over who gets guns? Mental health checks required to get a gun? No guns at all? I struggle with the right to have a gun as provided in the Bill of Rights versus wanting to feel safe in my own shopping mall. I truly believe in the right to bear arms. Now I'm reading about the recent stabbing tragedy in Japan and all the similar knife related killing sprees that have happened over there in recent years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/2098153/Japan-knife-killings-Alleged-killer-Tomohiro-Katos-plans-published-on-internet.html

They do not have guns in Japan so now they have mass murderers using knives!!! The recent killing spree has people in Japan discussing tighter knife control...what?? That sounds eerily similar to talk over here in favor of tighter gun control. Aren't the evil or mentally ill killers out there going to find something to do their damage with? In Japan, lawful abiding citizens do not have guns but all the criminals and organized crime organizations do.

Perhaps there needs to be tighter controls when people apply for their gun licenses. However, if mental illness gets worked into the requirement would you have the government as some sort of Big Brother over our mental health status? I don't know what the answer is, I just wanted to see what all the wise folks in the hive and to say.

:iagree: No flames here either.

he still forgot sometimes. I assume from this that he is simply incapable of reliably knowing a safety rule, every single time. Because of this, I would not consider carrying a loaded weapon, allowing one in my house, or allowing my child in a house with one. He's there every day, all day (the monitoring would exhaust me!) and in my 44 years of life thus far, I've not once felt the need to defend myself with any weapon.

As far as deterring crime, I simply do not know the answer to that problem. Here in my city, gun ownership is widespread, and we have one of the highest murder rates in the nation. The criminals here are probably well aware that the liklihood of any given person owning a gun is high, and it doesn't seem to have deterred the killing and maiming one bit. More guns is what we need??

Well, there's a big difference between a five year old and a fifteen year old. I don't think anyone is suggesting that a five year old should be taught how to handle a gun... only to obey rules not to touch them. For anyone who wants to own a gun (hunting, protection - whatever), the point is to keep them put away, under lock and key, and when the child is old enough teach them how to handle them properly and safely. A fifteen year old is certainly old enough to understand the basics of gun safety if there is a gun in the home. Most of these accidental shootings take place in the hands of young adolescents, not preschoolers.

I don't know about detering crime.. the vast majority of gun ownership where I live is *not* concealed weapons... if you have a rifle at home, that's not going to deter someone from attacking you in a parking lot.

You don't see many criminals mugging a cop or security office, though, so to a certain extent it does seem to work as a deterent. I just don't know how that spills over into civilian life.

I don't think we need MORE guns... but I'm pretty sure that if we made guns illegal, there'd be more gun related crimes. I understand that in Baltimore the murder rate has a lot to do with the illegal drug trade. Those people will always have access to guns. But when someone's home is invaded, if they have a shotgun handy, they've got a much better chance of surviving. And if the invader is killed, then he won't offend again, and that helps bring down the crime rate too.

I am not for gun control and I agree with many posters in this thread. I need say nothing more. I just wanted to share our experience with the state of California. For the past 19 years, dh and I have sold food at the county fair. Many events go on at the fair grounds and we particpated in 2 of them per year over the last 19 years, selling food and beverages. The fair grounds is owned by the state of Calif. and in the time we have been there, selling soda in cans has become illegal. Gangsters (not where we live, but we are affected by the law anyway) would rip the cans and use them for weapons. So we started selling soda in bottles. Gangsters would break the bottles and use them for weapons so they became illegal. We then started using plastic and invested in a fountain. No new laws yet. Most beverage companies are affected by this too, because they all comply and now most sodas seem to come in plastic. I know there are still a lot of cans out there. So... I agree that it is the person and not the weapon that is the problem.

I'm not taking a stand one way or the other regarding whether or not gun ownership should be legal, but I absolutely agree with you on this, Catherine. I grew up in a part of the country where gun ownership is very common, and many kids, including my brothers and cousins (not so much the girls), were taught gun safety from a very young age. I have seen first hand that it just doesn't work. Kids aren't capable of fully grasping the level of danger. One of my cousins and my brother were in a great-uncle's bedroom and found a gun in his closet. Cousin was messing around with it, and it went off. It was loaded. We were **** lucky that neither of them was hurt. And these boys had been taught "gun safety" for years. But much, much worse than this: when I was in high school, a classmate was killed in virtually the same scenario. And these boys were 16. Plenty old enough to "know better".

I don't have a fully formed opinion on the role the government should or should not take on this issue. I just know there will be no guns in my house.

If I were a fan of government solutions, I'd want the government to mandate weapons possession.

The day I get the h-e-double hockey sticks out of dodge, that is.;) Good grief. Suffice it to say I vehemently disagree with you and find such thinking beyond outlandish. No need for the asbestos suit, though; you're in good company here.

The day I get the h-e-double hockey sticks out of dodge, that is.;) Good grief. Suffice it to say I vehemently disagree with you and find such thinking beyond outlandish. No need for the asbestos suit, though; you're in good company here.

Did you bother to read the second paragraph of my post?

When my dd goes to college she will have a concealed weapons permit and a nice little pistol.

What? It is illegal to carry arms in a mall or university? Oh well, after she shoots the mad psycho who ran into her classroom waving a gun - and she saved all her classmates - we shall see who wants to press charges against her.

The psychos don't listen to the gun or knife control laws. Law abiding citizens should have the right to protect themselves. I have no problem with guns. I think we should all wear them on our belts and see how soon the first weak and useless crazy person tries to walk into a mall or school and shoot everyone up when they know we can defend ourselves against them!

My man has guns - we respect them - dd respects them. Dd actually sleeps with a loaded bb gun on her nightstand! It's the kids who are not taught - or are too hard headed to learn respect for guns - who cause the problem. I love guns, I respect them, and I maintain some sense of fear around them because I respect their power and what they could do if mishandled.

I could easily kill someone with an insulin overdose - are we going to outlaw that?

I could kill someone with silk stockings - are we going to outlaw that as well?

How about we outlaw hydrogenated oils, splenda, saccharine, nutra sweet, genetically modified food....all the silent killers. Especially GM corn which is killing monarch larva and probably now the bees and bats and even little kids are showing up with razor sharp painful fibers coming out of their skin - fibers which have been DNA tested and are found to be fungus and bacteria.......the same fungus and bacteria that Monsanto uses and they affect eucaryotic cells......hmmmmmm?!

Here in my city, gun ownership is widespread, and we have one of the highest murder rates in the nation. The criminals here are probably well aware that the liklihood of any given person owning a gun is high, and it doesn't seem to have deterred the killing and maiming one bit. More guns is what we need??

Maryland is one of the hardest states to get a concealed carry permit, and there is no open carry. The culture there is big on keeping firearms being locked and inaccessible to people in their own homes in an emergency. People in MD, even gun owners, are walking targets for those who do not respect a person's right to life or liberty. Huge crime rates because it is almost impossible to protect yourself in MD.

As for gun ownership, I'd love to know where you got the information that your community's ownership is among the highest in the nation. I don't think that's terribly accurate.

Of course. Why do you ask?

Your response seemed to indicate disagreement with a point I raised that I specifically rejected in the second paragraph.

It's entirely possible I misunderstood what you were attempting to communicate.

When my dd goes to college she will have a concealed weapons permit and a nice little pistol.

What? It is illegal to carry arms in a mall or university? Oh well, after she shoots the mad psycho who ran into her classroom waving a gun - and she saved all her classmates - we shall see who wants to press charges against her.

Better to be judged by a jury of 12 than carried by 6.

Your response seemed to indicate disagreement with a point I raised that I specifically rejected in the second paragraph.

I was responding to this comment, expressed in your first paragraph: "If I were a fan of government solutions, I'd want the government to mandate weapons possession."

As a gun control advocate (vague terminology there, but I don't have the time to be more specific) I blanch at the thought of such a thing (mandated weapons possession). Your rejection of that idea is based on the fact that you aren't a fan of government solutions. It follows that you wouldn't have a problem ~ would indeed support ~ the notion of an armed populace. I don't. At all.

I've gotta scoot out the door to a meeting that'll last most of the day.

I was responding to this comment, expressed in your first paragraph: "If I were a fan of government solutions, I'd want the government to mandate weapons possession." <snip>

I've gotta scoot out the door to a meeting that'll last most of the day.

Thanks for clarifying, Colleen. I was unclear as to what part of my statement you were rejecting. :)

I didn't read any replies so here is my opinion...

I am not a fan of government bans period. I am not a fan of gun control. It doesn't work. Cities that have very tight gun control have very high crime rates.

It is our right as citizens to carry weapons which is mainly the rifles. Any bans or laws that deteriate our rights is not what is needed....

So in response to OP: NOPE to all. I do not like government involvment. They haven't provided any solutions at all. Look at their own restaurant they run in the capitol...They are broke!!

whew! I need to stop here before I get all hot and bothered...:D

Holly

murder rate in the US (0.042802 per 1,000 people) is much higher than that in the UK (0.0140633 per 1,000 people) and Canada (0.0149063 per 1,000 people).

I'm strongly against all the gun-carrying here in the US, and I do think that there are way too many people killed and injured by accident from all these millions of guns-- often children who should be better protected from such violent instruments.

Although I don't have statistics, I'm sure the murder rate (even with knives) in Japan is way, way, way below that here in America. If people could only attack each other with knives, I bet there would be a huge decrease in murder here in the US.

The psychos don't listen to the gun or knife control laws. Law abiding citizens should have the right to protect themselves. I have no problem with guns. I think we should all wear them on our belts and see how soon the first weak and useless crazy person tries to walk into a mall or school and shoot everyone up when they know we can defend ourselves against them!

My man has guns - we respect them - dd respects them. Dd actually sleeps with a loaded bb gun on her nightstand! It's the kids who are not taught - or are too hard headed to learn respect for guns - who cause the problem. I love guns, I respect them, and I maintain some sense of fear around them because I respect their power and what they could do if mishandled.

I could easily kill someone with an insulin overdose - are we going to outlaw that?

I could kill someone with silk stockings - are we going to outlaw that as well?

How about we outlaw hydrogenated oils, splenda, saccharine, nutra sweet, genetically modified food....all the silent killers. Especially GM corn which is killing monarch larva and probably now the bees and bats and even little kids are showing up with razor sharp painful fibers coming out of their skin - fibers which have been DNA tested and are found to be fungus and bacteria.......the same fungus and bacteria that Monsanto uses and they affect eucaryotic cells......hmmmmmm?!

I just hope that your dd can be on alert 24/7 against any accidents or mishandling of her weapon, at home, at school, during sleep. Nieces, nephews, curious people, ignorant people in her life might not have the gun training that she's had, but she will still be responsible for every shot from that gun. That to me is too high a responsibility to carry, every day, in every way.

murder rate in the US (0.042802 per 1,000 people) is much higher than that in the UK (0.0140633 per 1,000 people) and Canada (0.0149063 per 1,000 people).

These are the statistics I used to quote (slightly different numbers back then) when I was a strong gun control advocate in my younger years back in Canada. I was still in Canada when another, far more knowledgeable (and a very peaceful) Canadian started pointing out other facts. You see, this statistic, on its own, is rather misleading, because there are other factors involved in these murder rates in the States than simply the amount of gun ownership and carrying. Canada, for example, doesn't have nearly as much poverty (another place were statistics mislead so that you don't see that, because the poverty level in Canada is set at a much higher income rate than in the States, and people with below poverty level incomes don't have to pay much, if any, income tax in Canada. I was shocked when I found this out after moving here--there are more poor here per capita, but it's hidden.) Also, Canada doesn't have cities nearly as large as NYC, Chicago or LA, and many other factors that the US does.

In areas where people routinely openly carry sidearms, crime rate is lower. In states where you are allowed to shoot an intruder, break-ins where people are home are generally lower. Education is one factor.

Disarming a population is a great way to take over. Remember the Soviet communist takeover--first they often came in and disarmed the people before taking them over. Not that I'm saying someone's going to come take over the US militarily, but criminals are going to find it easier to strike where people are disarmed.

The problem, as exemplified by the knife in your own example, isn't the weapon. It's the culture, socialization, mental illness and complicated societies in which we live.

It's what creates the monster that needs to be addressed.

Stripping citizens of the right to bear arms won't solve the problem.

:iagree: TOTALLY!

Japan, I thought I'd point out, has a very long history of weapons control. They kept out firearms for centuries...then there was a revolution and the gun-toting winners banned swords, partly to disarm resistance and partly to change the culture. Now, guns are banned to civilians, and even police don't routinely carry them, but professional criminals are likely armed.

Some types of knives could be banned, but there will still be knives, because they are tools and not just weapons. But, they are tools that can be turned into weapons, just as many things can be. We can't turn the whole world into a rubber room.

I'm reminded of a quote from Bowling from Columbine, that pointed out that Canadians have guns and don't shoot each other at the rate Americans do. The question then came up on the screen: "Are we gun nuts, or just nuts?"

My thought is that we're probably just nuts, and the problem at the root of our crime rates is cultural, tied to poverty among other things. (Given who's running the country right now, we can't blame it all on poverty).

I just hope that your dd can be on alert 24/7 against any accidents or mishandling of her weapon, at home, at school, during sleep. Nieces, nephews, curious people, ignorant people in her life might not have the gun training that she's had, but she will still be responsible for every shot from that gun. That to me is too high a responsibility to carry, every day, in every way.

Jet

I don't think the government should keep it's citizens from owning guns at all. period.ever! It irks me though when there's a big tragedy like what happened in Virginia and you hear "some" mention more gun control. The guy was mentally ill and so was the guy in Japan. They want to be famous as a big killer or something sick like that. So I thought it was just somewhat laughable to hear that over in Japan they have dicussions on tighter knife control. Where does it end when you go that route? And by that I mean limiting weapons to law abiding citizens because of the crazy people out there and what "might" happen.

T

It is a huge responsibility.

I do believe in parental control.

I grew up the daughter of Post dramatic stress Vietnam vet. There was a gun by my parents bed my whole childhood. We new not to mess with it. I had my first fire arm training from a young age.

My boys had there first BBB gun at about age 4 or 5. The boys now shoot real gun. I don't allow them to look at the guns or shoot them without my husband or I. The ammo is locked up away from the guns.

Guns and knives kill when the person who is amoral, angry, drugged or mentally ill uses them.

I carry a reuger 38. I don't want be waiting for government help (a cop) at 11:30 a night when a angry, drugged up thug wants to hurt me.

The same argument that people use for gun control is the same when someone says that we can't home school because of one home school parent abusing a child.

I do not want a socialist society. I want a free American republic. The amount of Federal government intervention in our life's is way more than I believe our founding fathers every intended.

\

My thought is that we're probably just nuts, and the problem at the root of our crime rates is cultural, tied to poverty among other things. (Given who's running the country right now, we can't blame it all on poverty).

How can you correlate the president to gun control? Not sure if it's a snide political comment or a bigger picture.

since you asked, I just took a concealed carry class. I am a homeschooling mother of 4, and live in an area of little, but increasing crime, which I believe is due to the newly added Casinos. Anyway,

It was 8 hours long and one needed to be VERY familiar with their weapon and the law.

Concealed Carry was defined as being completely hidden from view.

An attorney came and spoke for 2 hours.

After (and even during) the class I had to think really hard about whether I wanted the full responsibility of carrying that weapon.

If I were to take it out and use it, it would be to kill someone. That is a big responsibility, and yes, I decided it was best and am grateful for the privilege to live in a country where one can be licensed to do so. It is for me and my family only, it is not to kill some crazy person at the mall who is shooting others.

There are authorities who do that sort of thing. I am grateful that I do not have to do that. They can do their job. They are trained for it. They are good at it, most of the time!!

One VERY important point that was brought up in our class, however, was that the MASS shootings, malls, schools, post office (in our hometown years ago)etc. ----ALL were in areas where carrying a gun or concealed weapon was prohibited.

It's not responsible people who are running around wild killing people, it the crazies!! :)

Also, (Same PRINCIPLE Applied here)....

I would hate to have the freedom of homeschooling be taken away, or limited so severely, because a small percentage were abusing the privilege.

I know this view will not be popular but I have to say something when there is this much stigma going on. I have heard people who have Mental Illness called crazies or crazy people and that is really a source of stigma for people who are suffering from a horrible illness.

I have also heard some misquoting of statistics. People think all crimes that happen with guns are committed by "the crazies" or people with mental illness. This is not the case, the statistics are that only 3 percent of violent crimes are committed by people with mental illness. http://http://psychservices.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/52/5/654

The rest of the violent crimes, 97 percent are committed by perfectly normal people, it is just the media blows up every incident that has anything to do with a person who has a mental illness. The truth is, people with mental illness are way more likely to have a violent crime commited against them then to commit any crime. http://http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/40/17/16

I also believe that the people who do commit violent crimes like to use the insanity plea to try to excape prosecution, and most of them are not mentally ill. Please, lets not give mental illness such a bad rap. Real people with mental illness suffer enough without people calling them crazy or saying they are all violent people.

I disagree with this.

If someone steals my car and uses it to kill someone, *I* am not the one responsible for that. There is a big difference between negligence and responsibility. Being responsible does not mean mistakes will NEVER be made and does not prevent a criminal from breaking the law.

I also believe that the people who do commit violent crimes like to use the insanity plea to try to excape prosecution, and most of them are not mentally ill. Please, lets not give mental illness such a bad rap. Real people with mental illness suffer enough without people calling them crazy or saying they are all violent people.

when *I* use "crazy" or "wackos" it is certainly not referring to someone who is trying to be a law abiding citizen. It applies to anyone --mentally ill or not-- who purposefully sets out to break the law and harm another.