Menu

Now I want a designer purse!!

And Mariann, I blame YOU! :glare:

:lol:

I've never owned a designer purse unless Liz Claiborne counts, and I don't think it does. It was ugly anyway.

I vow to someday own a fabulous designer bag!!!!!

So...um...what are some designer purse brands? Vuitton and Hermes (sp?) I got from the other thread. Does Coach count? As you can tell, I'm a bit ignorant about this. I get my purses at Target or TJ Maxx (which has some expensive ones sometimes so maybe those are designer) and my latest came from Charming Charlie. I usually get 1 or 2 new purses a year. I would love to have more. :D

Side note: If it means spending $500 on a bag, I change my mind. :tongue_smilie:

And Mariann, I blame YOU! :glare:

:lol:

I've never owned a designer purse unless Liz Claiborne counts, and I don't think it does. It was ugly anyway.

I vow to someday own a fabulous designer bag!!!!!

So...um...what are some designer purse brands? Vuitton and Hermes (sp?) I got from the other thread. Does Coach count? As you can tell, I'm a bit ignorant about this. I get my purses at Target or TJ Maxx (which has some expensive ones sometimes so maybe those are designer) and my latest came from Charming Charlie. I usually get 1 or 2 new purses a year. I would love to have more. :D

Side note: If it means spending $500 on a bag, I change my mind. :tongue_smilie:

Until you own one, you can rent: http://www.bagborroworsteal.com/

You can also track down a craftsperson to make you an original. They can be very fine.

Oh, there are so many. I stick to the mid-range (for designer, anyway) stuff ... meaning $300-700ish for a new bag (I personally try to get these second-hand and stay under $250, though -- E-bay is a treasure trove as long as you can tell real vs. fake). Coach, Kooba, Rebecca Minkoff, Kate Spade, Marc Jacobs, Michael Kors ... these are just a few of the names available. Marc Jacobs has always been my favorite, but Coach has really stepped up its game in the last few years.

The super-high end stuff, like Prada, Balenciaga, Chloe, Gucci, Vuitton, etc. will easily set you back $1000+ new. (I actually had a Balenciaga bag years ago, but it got lost in our last move. SO SAD. I wish I could afford another, but I'm not working anymore.)

Kate Spade TOTALLY counts! I like Fossil bags a lot.

I am teaching my first college course this semester. (It's a math ed course. I complain about math ed people so much I decided I had better step up and do something about it.) I think I need a Kate Spade bag to carry. (And I am getting paid, so...)

LOL! This is funny. I don't even like either of the purses Mariann is choosing from (or maybe she's getting both now, lol, I don't know), but all that purse talk makes me think I need to own a designer purse. I am so silly. :D

Well, that thread made me buy a new purse. I posted about it in her thread. I decided to step up from $20 purses and other's cast off's.:D (I don't think it is designer though. :tongue_smilie:)

What is wrong with you? We had plans to make our beautiful purses! :tongue_smilie:

I have never been a designer purse person but I just LOVE certain Dooney and Bourke bags. I tend to like the ones with color. My favorites have the multiple colored zippers and multiple colored D & Bs all over them. My favorite was a bright purple but I waited too long and they got discontinued. I never thought to look on eBay.

Well, that thread made me buy a new purse. I posted about it in her thread. I decided to step up from $20 purses and other's cast off's.:D (I don't think it is designer though. :tongue_smilie:)

Just saw that! Way to go!! If you love it, I say who cares about the brand!

I happen to love my $40 bag from Charming Charlie that I got Monday. Heehee. I just think it'd be nice to own one "real" bag at some point in my life. But I don't think I can spend even $300 on a bag. That seems like a lot of money. I'd have to REALLY LOVE it and plan to carry it every day forever. I like to change several times a year. Maybe I'm weird.

Anyway, I like big roomy purses with a cute, but simple, design in rich beautiful colors. :D Maybe one day, I'll enlist The Hive's help in finding the right designer bag.

Just saw that! Way to go!! If you love it, I say who cares about the brand!

I happen to love my $40 bag from Charming Charlie that I got Monday. Heehee. I just think it'd be nice to own one "real" bag at some point in my life. But I don't think I can spend even $300 on a bag. That seems like a lot of money. I'd have to REALLY LOVE it and plan to carry it every day forever. I like to change several times a year. Maybe I'm weird.

Anyway, I like big roomy purses with a cute, but simple, design in rich beautiful colors. :D Maybe one day, I'll enlist The Hive's help in finding the right designer bag.

I feel the same way, it would have to be really something to spend $300 (or more) on a bag. I voted paper bag on the other thread's poll.:tongue_smilie:But they do sound like they are really something.:) I'm curious to see what I think of my upgrade, there has to be a difference between a $20 purse and a $200 purse, designer or not. I'm sure it will determine which way I go when it wears out.:)

I feel the same way, it would have to be really something to spend $300 (or more) on a bag. I voted paper bag on the other thread's poll.:tongue_smilie:But they do sound like they are really something.:) I'm curious to see what I think of my upgrade, there has to be a difference between a $20 purse and a $200 purse, designer or not. I'm sure it will determine which way I go when it wears out.:)

You'll have to keep me updated! :D

I just went to eBay to see if they had the D B bag I wanted. Some DB bags are GROSS!!! I've never seen the tacky bags myself.

Nakia, go look up Dooney and bourke on eBay. I will buy you the lovely pink one with green ducks. :ack2:

I know everyone knows this, but Ebay is FULL of fakes. Even people who think their bags are real, often have fakes from previous gifts, etc. I would rather have a new Rebecca Minkoff or Kate Spade than a potentially fake Balenciaga.

An acquaintance of mine (a total snot!) won't carry a bag if it can be easily found in a mall. For her Coach and DB might as well be Walmart bags. I can't wait for her to get a clue...or perhaps she never will.

I'm guessing the hot pink duct tape isn't going to do it for you anymore. :glare:

I bought a $300 messenger bag (actually a gift from dh), but it's not a purse. I might invest one day, I like Coach bags, but I want different colors. I don't know, I'm too fickle.

I do like TJ Maxx and look at the ones that have the security tags on them. When it's on clearance for 90.00 it's still out of my budget though.

Try consignment stores. I saw a coach bag at one the other day, but it didn't have the shoulder strap with it.

Muahahahahahahaha, Nakia!!! Once you've had a designer bag...you will never go back! They suck you in completely. :lol:

Here's my latest acquisition from our last trip to Disney World. I heard the Dooney & Bourke bags calling my name as soon as I went through the turnstile.

http://www.disneystore.com/dooney-bourke-walt-disney-world-40th-anniversary-kristen-tote-bag-by-dooney-bourke-medium/mp/1283928/1000812/

I love this bag! It's very functional and not a day goes by that I don't get a compliment on it. Which of course justifies the expense completely. :D

Muahahahahahahaha, Nakia!!! Once you've had a designer bag...you will never go back! They suck you in completely. :lol:

I love this bag! It's very functional and not a day goes by that I don't get a compliment on it. Which of course justifies the expense completely. :D

:iagree:....once I started carrying high end bags, I could not go back to anything else -- and I tried.......I really did. But that's me.......I'm a purse snob.

Good grief!!!! I go out for an afternoon so my kids can spend their gift cards, and I come home and find that my wtm friends are probably bidding against me on ebay! :svengo:

All the names mentioned here -- my opinion, fwiw, is that if they have a 'department' or stand alone store in a mall (a high end mall - short hills, tysons II, wherever - my world is very small), then it is a designer bag.

Coach - definitely

Kate Spade - for sure

Cynthia Rowley - yup

Prada - yes

Hermes - yes

Chanel - for sure

Tod's - omg, yes

The vuitton that I am carrying now I bought from someone walking into Plato's Closet to offer it on consignment - yes, I acost people outside of strip malls.

The overwhelming argument I can give for spending $$$ on a handbag that I love is that I will carry it every single day for years - changing only for a formal event; - every day.....as far as I am concerned, if I have spent upwards of $1000. on a handbag, it matches what I am wearing. Every.single.season.

That's why it is important to LOVE the handbag you ultimately decide upon. Be careful on ebay -- u can easily end up with a counterfeit. If you have a Plato's Closet near you, you can find a vuitton or other designer bag there.

It's a commitment -- it's kind of like curriculum: you have to love it, or you are not going to use it.:D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnGpaaX55RDZm5jJ-l0SCR2cjZned7JzhoRaJQszs3lnjZJHJb

Edited by MariannNOVA

I know everyone knows this, but Ebay is FULL of fakes. Even people who think their bags are real, often have fakes from previous gifts, etc. I would rather have a new Rebecca Minkoff or Kate Spade than a potentially fake Balenciaga.

An acquaintance of mine (a total snot!) won't carry a bag if it can be easily found in a mall. For her Coach and DB might as well be Walmart bags. I can't wait for her to get a clue...or perhaps she never will.

:001_huh: There's an LV in our nicest mall, y'know. And I agree with you on Ebay. It can be done, but it is SO hard to discern fakes from real.

Nakia, just think - if you get an "investment piece," your girls can fight over who will inherit it. :D Then maybe you should buy three. You know, to make things fair. :D

I like nice bags that have fabulous leather. I don't do coated canvas with a big price tag. It doesn't matter whose name is on it, just the feel of the leather.

I got a new one at Macy's a few weeks ago. I had never heard of the brand Giani Bernini. It's a black studded leather hobo and it feels so smooshy. Very affordable for that kind of leather at $140.

I also like B. Makowsky which Macy's used to carry. You can usually find them at TJ Maxx for around $150.

Cole Haan is another favorite of mine.

B.Makowsky makes gorgeous little bags. As does Cole Haan. Actually, my very favorite handbag is my army green Cole Haan alligator clutch. I only get to use it like once or twice a year since it is just for fancy parties ... but it is YUMMY to die for.

Here's my latest acquisition from our last trip to Disney World. I heard the Dooney & Bourke bags calling my name as soon as I went through the turnstile.

http://www.disneystore.com/dooney-bourke-walt-disney-world-40th-anniversary-kristen-tote-bag-by-dooney-bourke-medium/mp/1283928/1000812/

I have two D&B Disney bags, but I only use them when I go to Disney or take a Disney cruise. I love using them there though! It puts me in the Disney frame of mind. ;) I will probably sell one of them though or maybe give it to my daughter because the other one is better suited to my Disney trips.

I have quite a few Coach purses and a couple Dooney & Burkes, but I am ready to branch out a bit. I might get a Burberry next or maybe a Prada or Chanel. :tongue_smilie:

My bag of choice is dooney bourke followed by brighton and most recently and more affordable Tiganello(love the leather they use). I look at and have considered the more expensive bags but I always go back to dooney bourke or brighton and most recently an usuall color in Tiganello.

I totally agree. I have a Cole Haan black patent leather Aerin tote and I love it! It looks exactly like this but in patent leather: http://bagcraze.blogspot.com/2008/02/cole-haan-aerin-shoulder-work-tote.html

Nakia, I'm on my first stepping stone into designer bags.;)

I love bags and am tired of buying cute cheap ones and having them look worn in a matter of two months.

I got my first Coach just over a year ago. I got it at an outlet mall and I absolutely love it! It's soft and brown and fantastic. I paid less than $150 for it. That got me on the mailing list for their outlet. I get coupons all the time, plus I get invitations to their online sales.:D

So, I just bought a second Coach, a black one, for $117 just before Christmas.

I'm eyeing a purple one now!;)

I love bags and am tired of buying cute cheap ones and having them look worn in a matter of two months.

I got my first Coach just over a year ago. I got it at an outlet mall and I absolutely love it! It's soft and brown and fantastic. I paid less than $150 for it. That got me on the mailing list for their outlet. I get coupons all the time, plus I get invitations to their online sales.:D

I have a purple one! I don't like to keep a bag for long, so if you want mine, PM me and I'll send you a pic. I'd be happy to pass it along for cheap when I'm done with it in a couple of months. :001_smile:

:iagree:....once I started carrying high end bags, I could not go back to anything else -- and I tried.......I really did. But that's me.......I'm a purse snob.

Good grief!!!! I go out for an afternoon so my kids can spend their gift cards, and I come home and find that my wtm friends are probably bidding against me on ebay! :svengo:

All the names mentioned here -- my opinion, fwiw, is that if they have a 'department' or stand alone store in a mall (a high end mall - short hills, tysons II, wherever - my world is very small), then it is a designer bag.

Coach - definitely

Kate Spade - for sure

Cynthia Rowley - yup

Prada - yes

Hermes - yes

Chanel - for sure

Tod's - omg, yes

The vuitton that I am carrying now I bought from someone walking into Plato's Closet to offer it on consignment - yes, I acost people outside of strip malls.

The overwhelming argument I can give for spending $$$ on a handbag that I love is that I will carry it every single day for years - changing only for a formal event; - every day.....as far as I am concerned, if I have spent upwards of $1000. on a handbag, it matches what I am wearing. Every.single.season.

That's why it is important to LOVE the handbag you ultimately decide upon. Be careful on ebay -- u can easily end up with a counterfeit. If you have a Plato's Closet near you, you can find a vuitton or other designer bag there.

It's a commitment -- it's kind of like curriculum: you have to love it, or you are not going to use it.:D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnGpaaX55RDZm5jJ-l0SCR2cjZned7JzhoRaJQszs3lnjZJHJb

No offense, my dear lovely friend, but I think we probably have very different tastes in purses. ;) And I sure don't think I'll be bidding on ebay for a purse because I wouldn't know a Cole Haan if it bit me in the butt.

Anyway, I cannot imagine I will ever spend $1000 on a purse. That's more than my house payment. And I really can't picture a purse that I would want to carry every day of every year. I like to have purses in funky beautiful colors, and I don't care of they match my outfits. My newest (the $40 from Charming Charlie) is a really really deep teal, leaning more towards blue. I was carrying a spring green bag from Target before that. I like color! I think that's why I like Charming Charlie so much, so much color!!! And I lose interest quickly so I like to change my bag a couple of times a year. I'm beginning to rethink this, lol. Maybe I should just become the president of the "cheap purse club," CPC for short.

Although...it would seem I need at least one designer bag in my life!! Right????

:lol::auto:

Can you send me a link? Purple is my favorite color, and I've been looking for a great purple bag for years!

Since my hubby got me a designer (I guess??? I really know nothing about this) handbag for Christmas, I now feel way different when I go out. I CANNOT explain why, but there's almost this importance attached to the bag.

Keep in mind, this comment comes from the woman who wears the same pair of shoes all. winter. long.

But now when I go out, I want to look good....to match the handbag :D

It's totally and utterly ridiculous, but there you have it! Confessions of a handbag newbie.

Just once in your life, get the bag!

Gee, I have one purse my mom bought for me about 10 yrs ago in England. its a SOHO New York which is funny because she bought it in London. My mom and sisters call it 'the granny bag'. I really should get a new one but I want a Coach but cannot justify to myself paying that much for a bag no matter how nice. Books and a long list of needed house repairs come first. SIGH! Someday....

OTOH, I LOVE my wallet. I bought it about 14 years ago from The Franklin Store. It has 2 zipper parts and nothing ever falls out. If it ever dies, I am having a furnral (? sp) for it.

I love Cole Haan -- I love Tod's (the leather is so soft and squishy)

I love to go to Nordstrom's Rack and look through their clearance handbags -- one can find amazing treasures there.

I also love to go through the handbag racks at TJ Maxx -- amazing finds there too. I found a deep purple leather (soft as could be) clutch that I gave to my mom for her birthday a few years ago.

There are amazing handbags lurking everywhere -- consignment shops are fantastic.

Yes, I am a handbag junkie.

I love Cole Haan -- I love Tod's (the leather is so soft and squishy)

I love to go to Nordstrom's Rack and look through their clearance handbags -- one can find amazing treasures there.

I also love to go through the handbag racks at TJ Maxx -- amazing finds there too. I found a deep purple leather (soft as could be) clutch that I gave to my mom for her birthday a few years ago.

There are amazing handbags lurking everywhere -- consignment shops are fantastic.

Yes, I am a handbag junkie.

We have zero nice consignment shops close to me, but I go to Asheville (about 40 minutes away) pretty often, so I can hit up some of the shops there. I guess I just need to learn how to spot a fake. :)

I really really really want a purple bag. I've been searching for an affordable one for years.

We have zero nice consignment shops close to me, but I go to Asheville (about 40 minutes away) pretty often, so I can hit up some of the shops there. I guess I just need to learn how to spot a fake. :)

I really really really want a purple bag. I've been searching for an affordable one for years.

Since you can't spot a fake; take the money, have a great trip to NYC and buy a copy on the street for $30.00. :lol:

Can you send me a link? Purple is my favorite color, and I've been looking for a great purple bag for years!

I have a really lovely Jimmy Choo Purple bag (I don't even know if that is the correct spelling. It was purple and pretty and $40, and if it isn't real it is a good knock off.

My sister took me on an interesting shopping trip in China Town in New York....

Since you can't spot a fake; take the money, have a great trip to NYC and buy a copy on the street for $30.00. :lol:

This is the problem when I quote before I read the last page of posts:lol::lol:

$30 on the street, but for the ones where you really can't tell if it is fake, you have to go for a walk.

I have a real Coach (that my mom was sending to Goodwill when she and my Dad split) and I have compared it carefully to one of my New York ones (lining and all) and I can't find a difference.

Sorry, I do not normally do anything remotely shady, but entering a deserted building with my sister and coming into a plywood made room filled with pretty bags is something I will never forget.:blushing:

Mmmmm...purses. In addition to my shoe addiction, I also have one for purses. I have a couple of Coach, a few Gucci and a couple of Prada. I've got my eye on an LV. James Bond just rolls his eyes. I bought the Pradas when we were in Italy last year. Dear heavens that store made me want to weep it was so wonderful. When we were in Monaco, we went past the LV store and they had a croquet set in an LV trunk that was $8,000 (IIRC). I took a photo of it, but it was through the glass so it's not great.

DSC_0438.jpg

DD scored high at a consignment store. $8 for a Louis Vuitton. She swears it's real as it says so on the inside. We checked on-line. Of course they don't sell the one she bought anymore. But the one closest to what she got is $300. It's tiny! It wouldn't hold much more than a DL, CC, lipstick and tampon.

I have ONE expensive designer purse.

It is a B. Makowsky

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-MAKOWSKY-Black-Satchel-Zip-Top-Leather-Fabric-Double-Handle-Purse-Handbag-/280795428909?pt=US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item4160b6382d#ht_1316wt_1314

I love the soft leather on it. It is roomy, but not enough for an iPad without squeezing a bit.

I found it at a yard sale at around 1pm. The wife had just left for a soccer game and her DH was tired of sitting outside so I was able to get him down to $8. He kept saying, "I don't know what she wanted for that." :lol:

It was in perfect almost unused condition and retail was $280. I didn't know that at the time, but looked it up when I got home. I just thought it was a very well made bag.

My FAVORITE bags are made by a woman in Seattle named Ann Brown. They aren't a name brand designer, but they could stand up against ANY designer bag. I still have some that are 27 years old that I bought when I lived in Seattle that have held up VERY well. Her leather is treated for rain and snow before she makes them and it is very soft but sturdy quality. I would love another of her bags in a larger size. She sells them at Pike Place but will ship.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ann-brown

Dawn

I want this bag. Can I carry it with jeans and when I am dressed for work? I have evening bags that I carry for evenings out. I am the quintessential soccer mom/soccer coach's wife. Will it work for that? I LOVE this bag. (And I am sure I can fit the iPad in it...) Could I add a scarf for some color? Is the color ok? Please all of you designer bag ladies, would it be a good investment? (As a mom of four, full time teacher, part time college professor, I need a larger bag.)

I want this bag. Can I carry it with jeans and when I am dressed for work? I have evening bags that I carry for evenings out. I am the quintessential soccer mom/soccer coach's wife. Will it work for that? I LOVE this bag. (And I am sure I can fit the iPad in it...) Could I add a scarf for some color? Is the color ok? Please all of you designer bag ladies, would it be a good investment? (As a mom of four, full time teacher, part time college professor, I need a larger bag.)

Yes, buy it!! It's on sale for goodness sake. You have no excuse for not snapping it up. :D And, can I just say how much I love Kate Spade's shoes as well as her bags? Her website is like heroin to a purse/shoe junkie!!

Mmmmm...purses. In addition to my shoe addiction, I also have one for purses. I have a couple of Coach, a few Gucci and a couple of Prada. I've got my eye on an LV. James Bond just rolls his eyes. I bought the Pradas when we were in Italy last year. Dear heavens that store made me want to weep it was so wonderful. When we were in Monaco, we went past the LV store and they had a croquet set in an LV trunk that was $8,000 (IIRC). I took a photo of it, but it was through the glass so it's not great.

DSC_0438.jpg

DD scored high at a consignment store. $8 for a Louis Vuitton. She swears it's real as it says so on the inside. We checked on-line. Of course they don't sell the one she bought anymore. But the one closest to what she got is $300. It's tiny! It wouldn't hold much more than a DL, CC, lipstick and tampon.

I think this is the bag I am currently carrying -- small -- very small. It is forcing me NOT to carry garbage around.

I have ONE expensive designer purse.

It is a B. Makowsky

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-MAKOWSKY-Black-Satchel-Zip-Top-Leather-Fabric-Double-Handle-Purse-Handbag-/280795428909?pt=US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item4160b6382d#ht_1316wt_1314

I love the soft leather on it. It is roomy, but not enough for an iPad without squeezing a bit.

I found it at a yard sale at around 1pm. The wife had just left for a soccer game and her DH was tired of sitting outside so I was able to get him down to $8. He kept saying, "I don't know what she wanted for that." :lol:

It was in perfect almost unused condition and retail was $280. I didn't know that at the time, but looked it up when I got home. I just thought it was a very well made bag.

My FAVORITE bags are made by a woman in Seattle named Ann Brown. They aren't a name brand designer, but they could stand up against ANY designer bag. I still have some that are 27 years old that I bought when I lived in Seattle that have held up VERY well. Her leather is treated for rain and snow before she makes them and it is very soft but sturdy quality. I would love another of her bags in a larger size. She sells them at Pike Place but will ship.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ann-brown

Dawn

Reading all this is better than an issue of PEOPLE magazine. I love what you all are sharing.

CAROLINE: BUY THE BAG! IT'S GORGEOUS!!! It will go with everything.