Menu

I have an anxiety attack every time I ...

Look at the college section of the high school board. My ds will be in 9th grade next year and now that we are homeschooling him full time again I feel like I don't know where to begin with not only curriculum but choosing colleges, scholarships, financial aid, and all that stuff. AP, DE, CC, NMF??? Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!

Throat swelling

Heart palpitating

Can't breathe

Can I just hang out on the general board and pretend like it isn't happening? It's always sunny and 75 degrees in denial! :tongue_smilie:

I felt that way too. Taking it one small step at a time, one child at a time, helps! But, I am on my 4th child about to graduate now, and I still panic a little wondering if we are covering all the bases needed to prepare her for her next step after high school!

One step at a time.

Start picking curriculum appropriate to him and his goals. Involve ds in decision making.

As far as testing is concerned, does the high school associated with your school provide guidance. I know it's an international school, but aren't some students applying in the US? If so, I'm sure the guidance counselor can help you with timelines.

Baby steps, read one thread then leave. Go back ask a question, then leave. One can not simply walk into the high school/college board. You must acclimate yourself, like walking into a cold pool. :tongue_smilie:

A few of us have decided to get a boat to wade through the waters (metaphorically speaking), so you're welcome to join us, because we're all in this together. :D

Look at the college section of the high school board. My ds will be in 9th grade next year and now that we are homeschooling him full time again I feel like I don't know where to begin with not only curriculum but choosing colleges, scholarships, financial aid, and all that stuff. AP, DE, CC, NMF??? Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!

Throat swelling

Heart palpitating

Can't breathe

Can I just hang out on the general board and pretend like it isn't happening? It's always sunny and 75 degrees in denial! :tongue_smilie:

Me too! I can't believe DS #2 will be in 9th next year. He wants to homeschool the whole way through. It makes me so nervous!!!!!

Throat swelling

Heart palpitating

Can't breathe

No you can't. The high school boardies take turns perusing the general board for about to be high school homeschoolers and force them to fess up on the high school board. We are especially in tune to hyperventilating and other signs of panic. :D

The longer you are in de Nile, de longer you will have to swim against de current in de long run. :lol:

Waiting for you on the high school board ... :toetap05:

Shucks... I started homeschooling when my oldest was a 9th grader. But then again, I work in our local public high school... so I suppose that's why I consider high school to be rather easy by comparison.

No problem with college acceptances here. Many curricula will work. Choose something that works for your student. ;)

To be truthful, for the most part I stayed away from the High School Board. I have one dd who is a senior in college and one who is a junior in high school. Once we figured out what our goals were and our way of achieving them I stayed away, UNLESS I had a VERY SPECIFIC question. Then I would go and search the board. Even though I am very confident with our choices, especially since they have both succeed with those choices, that board INTIMIDATES ME!!!

Mary

No you can't. The high school boardies take turns perusing the general board for about to be high school homeschoolers and force them to fess up on the high school board. We are especially in tune to hyperventilating and other signs of panic. :D

The longer you are in de Nile' date=' de longer you will have to swim against de current in de long run. :lol:

Waiting for you on the high school board ... :toetap05:[/quote']

:lol:

Baby steps, read one thread then leave. Go back ask a question, then leave. One can not simply walk into the high school/college board. You must acclimate yourself, like walking into a cold pool. :tongue_smilie:

A few of us have decided to get a boat to wade through the waters (metaphorically speaking), so you're welcome to join us, because we're all in this together. :D

Count me in as long as I can wear those swim floaties on my arms.:tongue_smilie:

I'm right there with ya. My oldest starts 9th grade next year as well and I vacillate between anxious and totally freaked out all the time.

Then I come here and look at all the pretty pictures...babies, puppies, kitties, purses, even kilts! :lol:

One Day at a Time Sweet Jesus!!

My son is in 10th and I have rising 7th and 8th graders...it really does 'come' to you either through friends/resources/just plain looking!

Math: Love Foerster's for all Algebras and Chalkerian so far for Geometry

Sciences: I ferret these out but my awesome resource will be going into the mission field for good, so I am at a loss, but will use all her tests/books with my last two...Bob Jones/Amsco/high school texts

Writing: Love IEW for starts on these then I go to these awesome sites to make up my year's studies...I love them so much I started teaching once a week writing/lit classes and the kids are soaring in their skills! If you can take it on, this is probably the biggest help I've had next to the awesome science teacher!

PE/Health: Son got heavily involved in rowing, 5 days a week of tough workouts makes for a very 'focused' high school student, highly recommend they have some outlet for physical activity!

Speech & Debate: This has just helped their motivation and confidence...we do it every other year b/c it is time intensive.

Music: I have failed here..they took 5 years piano each, but only one has a heart for it and has moved on to guitar...

Art: Also a failure here, in grammar they took art classes weekly but not so much here..need a jump start here!

History: UA Early College is filling in 2 of my years here..just pulled together some great history books and we cover it as a family.

Foreign Language: Rosetta Stone, filled in with trips overseas...for senior year after they finish 5 levels of Rosetta, doing a 2nd year grammar program in their language (German/Italian)

There, all this I have learned in just the past year and a half since teaching my 9th grader..it comes to you, believe me!! :)

Writing sites that will get you EXCITED to teach!!

http://mrgunnar.net/ap.cfm

http://mrslemanski.homestead.com/ap_3.html

http://libguides.concordiashanghai.org/content.php?pid=214890

http://homepage.mac.com/mseffie/index.html

http://warriorap.squarespace.com/apresources/

I'm sitting here finishing an application for my dd and having that anxiety attack for you! She's done everything but what if there isn't enough scholarship money? :svengo:

:grouphug: I know that song too!!!! :grouphug: I'm praying that this process gets easier with each consecutive child!

Hey, Ladies, here I am to reassure you!

I started (like Creekland) homeschooling when ds was in 9th, and dd was in K. Had read WTM, but didn't really know what I was doing. It took a lot of finding our way, and along that way, we had some minor stumbles and a couple of major ones. We had a complicated family situation, major angst because of it, and honestly, I often didn't know what the heck I was doing.

But, we did it! Ds graduated a semester early, and he was accepted into college. He's in the program of his choice and doing extremely well.

If I can do it, YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Really, you all have so much experience, so much love for your kiddos, you know where their strengths and weaknesses lie already, and you are all bright, intelligent and hardworking moms.

You really can do it!!!! And do it well, too. And don't forget, you will have the help of the boardies, and most of all, the help of your student!!

I can't wait to eavesdrop on the HS board and see your successes. :D:D

:iagree::iagree:Its worse, they are gone. High school was a breeze compared to college.

:iagree: I found myself nostalgic for the high school years just a little while ago when I remembered that oldest is no longer here to be part of our family and middle will be gone way too soon.

Enjoy the high school years, they fly by way too quickly!

We're only 2 1/2 years from an empty nest.

It really is kind of impossible to mess up beyond hope.

the highschool board is great support as long as you remember that like on the curriculum board, not every program / text / curriculum is right for every student. In highschool this becomes even more important to remember ;) Dd & ds#1 both HSed through highschool & have settled into tertiary education with no hassels, but there were many days that I worried would they make it because they weren't taking calculus at 14 / numerous AP courses / etc. HS/ing highschool gives you the freedom & responsibility to blaze a path for your dc that is tailored to their needs & goals, not the general requirements of PS. As you are living overseas, ask around as to what universities look favorably on missionary / ex-pat kids. Or ask other missionary / ex-pat families how their dc got on with the transition back to uni in the States.

Ds#2 is in PS for highschool (his choice) & I'm finding that more than a bit frustrating as he has to meet requirements that we don't put as much value on as the PS does & is not able to take courses he'd like to take. Luckily we've successfully graduated 2dc already, so we have a plan if he ends up HS/ing again.

Blessings,

We are nervously awaiting to see if DS17 got into uni, he will know sometime on the 7-10 Jan

Homeschoolers getting in to Uni in Australia is still a novelty, and not mainstream at all, in fact tricky, we have spoken to the selection officer and she was very impressed with the list of D's and HD's my son of for his open uni courses, if he gets a Distinction or High Distinction for his calculus ( results 7 Jan) then we should hear on the 10th that he is in. Hopefully..

I'm in this line of reluctant swimmers, warily dipping the tip of one toe into the murky waters...

Doing 2nd semester of 8th grade now, 9th in the fall.

I visited the High School board once. Scared me silly. One of my New Year's resolutions is to suck it up, put on my big girl panties, and figure out how to do high school.:confused:

Edited by hillfarm