Menu

To SWB - About Those 1400 ALL Pages...

Bloggermom

I know you said you didn't want to publish ALL because it was too big (1400 pages). However, would you be willing to break it up and sell it on your website as PDF files?

I am one of those crazy moms who wouldn't mind 1400 pages worth of grammar work for my kids. It would be awesome if you broke it up into 4 workbooks of approx 350 pages each. I would love a small series of Advanced Language Lessons Level 1 Workbooks A,B,C & D.

I would hate that all the work you did to create those 1400 would go to waste. I would LOVE to use it. Please allow me and others like me that chance.

If anyone else feels similar please respond. Hopefully SWB will see this and make it available.

I hope there isn't a prior contract with another publisher but publishing them as PDFs could be a great idea!

Unfortunately, I think the full text wasn't written when she realized how long it was going to be.

But yeah. I'd so use that.

There might not be a need for subsequent years. But man would my kids know their grammar.

I had previously suggested breaking those estimated 1400 pages into four books, Teachers Manual A/B and Student Book A/B. The pdf idea is excellent also. I'd buy and pay up a bit to continue with a program that's working so well for us.

Jim

I had previously suggested breaking those estimated 1400 pages into four books, Teachers Manual A/B and Student Book A/B. The pdf idea is excellent also. I'd buy and pay up a bit to continue with a program that's working so well for us.

Jim

:iagree: I think this is completely workable, especially the PDF idea for those who have tablets. (I don't, but many homeschoolers are getting them and would find this idea workable.)

Here is the post with the update about ALL. (Edited version, below. Bolded parts are mine.)

Now the bad news.

Advanced Language Lessons, Level 1, has hit a serious technical snag. Those of you who’ve gotten the PDF of the first 15 weeks might notice that it is over 500 pages long. If you do the math, you’ll see that the final book is now slated to be...um...1400 pages.

That’s not really workable. We can’t sell it for the planned price, for one thing. And for another, your children will revolt and charge our office with pitchforks.

We haven’t done a grammar text of this length and complexity before, so we’re finding out the snags as we go. Unfortunately, this means that, for now, we’re going to have to cancel publication of the book. The only way to get the material back into reasonable limits is to 1) revamp the text so that it’s more concise, 2) redesign the typesetting, and 3) divide the book into a student and teacher text, like FLL3 and FLL4. None of this can be done quickly. We certainly can’t make these massive changes before the publication date. And we’re a small shop here; I’m worried that if I, personally, stop and work out these snags, I won’t hit my deadline for Writing With Skill 2.

Because of this, I don’t plan to reschedule ALL for the near future. Once the writing series is complete we’ll take another look at the possibilities; and we’ll keep you posted, of course.

:iagree:I would absolutely buy a 1400 pg. PDF. FLL is working very well for my dd and I would love to continue on in the series. We'll be starting FLL 3 in a couple weeks. Please consider this option, if it is at all possible, as I'd love the opportunity to use it. :001_smile:

:ohmy: Oh, no!!! I never saw that message. I've been checking my Amazon cart frequently, waiting for it to be released. It still shows a January publication date.

R&S is not working for my son (worked great with my oldest daughter though), so I was eager to make the switch in January. I wasn't planning on spending the rest of my break researching grammar programs. :crying:

:iagree:FLL 1 & 2 have worked so well here as a gentle, mostly oral start to grammar instruction. We're taking a break next year (2nd grade plate is full), but we'll start back up with FLL 3 in 2013 (3rd), and FLL 4 in 2014 (4th).

I sure hope ALL is ready by 2015! :D And I would buy 1400 pages! Yes, I would! And we would work through the material, no problem. No pitchforks, either.

Anyone know if this needs direct parent instruction? Or does it follow the same format as FLL 1-4? I love how independant R&S is but I'd switch in a heartbeat if this is too. I guess as of now, it's not an option, though.:crying:

It is scripted like FLL 1-4, so it requires a parent to lead the lesson. There are parent pages that are read aloud and student pages for writing.

Yeah, my son is very disappointed we will not be continuing. Can you imagine an 11 year old requesting grammar?

But he also adores the writing program and it is harder to find an excellent writing program. Not a lot harder, mind you, but harder.

Maybe SWB will be able to make a rhetoric program! Be still my beating heart! Swoon....

No more samples of ALL, apparently:

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Language Lessons. The samples are no longer available as the project has been placed on hold indefinitely. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your interest in our curriculum. Please let me know if I can offer assistance in any other way. Respectfully,

Edited by Jay3fer
needed a comma!

OK, I hear you guys.

Don't quite know how to handle this project yet, but I appreciate the input...and will keep it in mind...

SWB

SWB,

It must be satisfying knowing so many trust your approach and desire your material. I know we do and would use ALL regardless of the number of pages and its format.

We are a new homeschooling family (just started last September) and started FLL 1 (we went throught it rather fast because I was reviewing with my 7 year old) and are now using FLL2. WE LOVE THEM. My boys are squirmy, high energy, playful boys. The structure of this program works soooooo well for us. It is my sons favourite part of Language Arts (which is most of our morning !). I was so excited to hear ALL was the next step for us after FLL. I echo what everyone else has said on this thread. I would buy ALL regardless of lenght or how it was formatted (one book, several books etc.).

So count us in too!!