Menu

A crazy Christmas present

My In-laws rock. We just got their Christmas present. It is a deer head, a very majestic one, with a significant rack of antlers, all mounted. My daughter is alternately thrilled and horrified--it would be thrilling if it were not sitting in the corner of the living room, looking at her over the back of the sofa. As it is staring at her, it is horrifying at the moment. Her belief is that no normal city house would have a mounted deer head on the wall, although personally I think it would actually look pretty good right over our mantle.

The back story--FIL is an avid hunter and fisherman, and his best friend, sadly has just found out that he has terminal cancer. FIL called DH who expressed interest in some of the friend's animal mounts. (DH does not hunt, but remembers how to do it.) So MIL and FIL visited their DF, and purchased this head, and then drove to Fed Ex to get it boxed up and shipped. DD is crazy about deer, and legendary among all of her nature-oriented friends for finding antlers and deer bones all the time, where no one else can even see them. So deer are special to all of them. I am just along for the ride on this one.

We waited around for this delivery all day long. The box is almost 5 feet tall, and the deer head was well padded in it but not dwarfed by it. Woah.

I would like to be able to say that I was consulted on this, and that we had a spot in mind before asking for this lovely present. Neither would be accurate. However, I am sure that it will be an asset to whatever wall space we finally find for it. Even if we have to move to another home to be able to find a good spot.

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Carol in Cal.

I think it sounds like a very cool gift and would look great over a mantle. Your dd's reaction has me chuckling. After touring a large country home, I was talking to dc about the house and the youngest, who was 6yo at the time, said, "You mean the house of death?" The previous owner had been an avid hunter and there were wall mounts, tiger rugs, and stuffed animals on tables everywhere. The kids still refer to that house as 'the house of death.' :lol: I think you're safe from the name, though, as long as you stick with only one deer mounted on the wall.

However, I am sure that it will be an asset to whatever wall space we finally find for it. Even if we have to move to another home to be able to find a good spot.

I wish I had thought of that. When it comes to wall decor I don't want here, I usually just suggested how nice it would look in his office. ;)

• Like 1

More details this morning on the Big Deer Head Purchase:

This really massive deer was only the 3rd largest in the wall of four. Sadly, the largest and second largest were already sold. Tragically, the wall-sized caribou was also already sold. However, there are still two trophy-quality ram heads available, along with a full blown pheasant and a couple of quail. And, of course, the also ran 4th largest deer. No moose, bummer.

MIL and FIL had to visit three different shipping firms to find one that would take responsibility for this large, odd-shaped item. Fed Ex did a great job, though.

And there were also several bears available, but those were not of interest to the IL's because there is a bear that FIL shot some years ago, already designated for us someday. Such a relief to know that at some point we will have a full wall-length bear with a toothy head at toddler eye level to find a lovely spot for. We will be keeping an eye out for that very spot, for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Sounds wonderful! I have a pair of moose antlers with a 63" spread hanging over my desk and they look wonderful!

Oh - here is a funny for you. DD17 was filming a German video for a competition these last few weeks and showed it to us last night. The folks who live in the house where it was filmed are avid hunters - all over the globe. We were laughing because in the background of this German fairy tale were: a life-size snarling cheetah, two African deer-things with long horns, several bear rugs with eyeballs, and a thing that looks like a Yak (really!).

Maybe you can hint to your in-laws that you really need a Yak next year!

Sounds wonderful! I have a pair of moose antlers with a 63" spread hanging over my desk and they look wonderful!

Oh - here is a funny for you. DD17 was filming a German video for a competition these last few weeks and showed it to us last night. The folks who live in the house where it was filmed are avid hunters - all over the globe. We were laughing because in the background of this German fairy tale were: a life-size snarling cheetah, two African deer-things with long horns, several bear rugs with eyeballs, and a thing that looks like a Yak (really!).

Maybe you can hint to your in-laws that you really need a Yak next year!

No, according to DH the possibility of exotics was ruled out when he said that he only wanted native, local species. American ones. This limited the selection considerably, according to FIL/MIL.

My In-laws rock. We just got their Christmas present. It is a deer head, a very majestic one, with a significant rack of antlers, all mounted. My daughter is alternately thrilled and horrified--it would be thrilling if it were not sitting in the corner of the living room, looking at her over the back of the sofa. As it is staring at her, it is horrifying at the moment. Her belief is that no normal city house would have a mounted deer head on the wall, although personally I think it would actually look pretty good right over our mantle.

The back story--FIL is an avid hunter and fisherman, and his best friend, sadly has just found out that he has terminal cancer. FIL called DH who expressed interest in some of the friend's animal mounts. (DH does not hunt, but remembers how to do it.) So MIL and FIL visited their DF, and purchased this head, and then drove to Fed Ex to get it boxed up and shipped. DD is crazy about deer, and legendary among all of her nature-oriented friends for finding antlers and deer bones all the time, where no one else can even see them. So deer are special to all of them. I am just along for the ride on this one.

We waited around for this delivery all day long. The box is almost 5 feet tall, and the deer head was well padded in it but not dwarfed by it. Woah.

I would like to be able to say that I was consulted on this, and that we had a spot in mind before asking for this lovely present. Neither would be accurate. However, I am sure that it will be an asset to whatever wall space we finally find for it. Even if we have to move to another home to be able to find a good spot.

When we moved in here we inherited the moose head that great gpa had shot back in the '40's.

It was mammoth.

Was. Yes, I asked my hunter Uncle if he might be interested. He came the next day with a trailer. He was thrilled. His wife was not. :auto:

You are definitely taking this better than I would.

When I was little, we would visit my Great-grandma who had a huge deer head hanging over the couch and it creeped me out. The worst part was that they had had the deer's hooves and lower leg/ankle mounted underneath it, curving upwards, and holding the gun that shot it.:eek:

Maybe next year, instead of another head, ask for matching hooves?

Maybe next year, instead of another head, ask for matching hooves?

Hooves are a GREAT idea! Thank you!

But not for a gun rack. For coat hooks. Or candle holders. Wait, no, I think we should go back to antlers for those. More antlers, that's what we need. More antlers...hmmmmm......

Oh, my, word! I am so jealous...as are my sons! What an incredible, unique gift. And it will look great on your wall. I love the creepy feeling I get when surrounded by various "heads". We have a restaurant that has lots of "heads" mounted around the dining area. Your home will be unique among its counterparts ;)

This post brings up such great memories and refreshes my concerns about the status of a possible inheritance. My sister and I saved up all our hard-earned money one year to buy my parents a moose head that they really wanted. We saved and saved and saved and they had such a happy Christmas morning. Now, of all the wonderful things my parents have bought through the years (and in travels through Europe), my sister and I cannot sort out who should inherit the moose head. It is the one item we can't agree on. We both worked for it, bought it, have treasured memory of it mounted over the fireplace for all these years. We both want it so badly. It is made from the finest brown corduroy. With plaid and tweed antlers. Truly a collector's piece. :tongue_smilie:

I hope your family enjoys your new friend as much as we have enjoyed ours!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

DH is at the airport as of 5:15 AM, heading for Milwaukee through Minneapolis/St. Paul. Hunting season opens on Saturday, his first in about 30 years, a big family deal. Can't wait for all the dead animal pictures! Maybe we will end up with another deer head trophy.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

That is hysterical.

Our pastor is an avid hunter and in his office is a huge deer head. On the other side of the wall, in the hallway is a deer.........butt. I'm not sure who pranked him with that.

That's adorable!

OP: of such gifts are memories made. I am sad we have no such memories for our current house. Oh well, time will tell.

I think you should mount it in your bedroom.

On the ceiling.

Stick a fan in its nose.

Whee!!!

I'm so glad I just swallowed my sip of orange juice before reading this or it would be all over my screen! I can't stop laughing! Chris, you are AWESOME!

Your description has me :lol::lol::lol:. I also thought of the Major Award in A Christmas Story.

I, too, would love to see pictures.

Mighty hunter update: He got one, at 150 yards--awfully good for not having hunted since before 1985! But the antlers were under three inches long, so it fell into the doe permit category. (Who knew that there was such a thing?) Thankfuly his brother had wisely planned ahead and purchased two doe category party permits, so this and the one that brother's 16yo son shot are legal. (See, DD should totally have gone along. She is 16, too, and a slacker for not hunting yet.) And they called the season at that point because 1) Brother had to work Monday, and 2) Father was exhausted (at age 85, with COPD, diabetes, and a very bad back) and 3) All of the deer have fled to Canada at this point, to return sometime next year.

• 3 years later...

Update:  

It's in the basement workshop of our cabin, because there is a load bearing beam between the laundry area and DH's woodworking area that is perfect for it.  What makes it perfect you may ask?  Well, the deer's head is angled slightly to the side, and the beam places it exactly where it needs to be to look you in the eye from across the room as you open the door and fumble for the light switch while stepping up the really high (maybe a foot) step into the room.  It has a certain commanding presence from there.  "Watch it, buster, do not mess with DH's woodworking equipment," it seems to say.  Also, its massive size is evident because once you step into the room it's at eye level.  A bit of intimidation when it comes to DH's woodworking equipment is all to the good.  

Once we get the bear, the scary dead animal deterrent option will be fully activated, LOL.

• Like 2