Menu

What are your "must haves" on your nightstand?

While I was getting in bed last night I noticed that I have quite a list of things I "must have" on/in my nightstand at bedtime and wondered if my list of stuff is extensive or normal. Here they are, in no particular order: chap stick, nail file, nose spray, Vicks vapor rub, allergy eye drops, water bottle, table top fan, cell phone and charger, and a stack of books.

If any of those are missing I am not a happy camper. What about you?

Well....my nightstand is small and can't possibly hold all the books I am currently reading :tongue_smilie: which include War on Grammar, the latest WTM, Hotel World, The Really Useful Science Book and The Iliad...along with my light, alarm clock, glasses, kindle, knitting.......so it all kind of flows onto the floor....:lol:

My nightstand is a small bookshelf where I keep research books for work (my "office" is also in my bedroom). The nightstand part of the shelf contains:

lamp

stack of books

kid diaries (I have blank books for each kid that I write letters in periodically instead of a baby/ memory book)

pen/ pencil

hand lotion

chap stick

tissues

weather radio/ alarm clock

vicks vapo rub

massage oil

massage roller

reading light (in case I wake in the middle of the night and want to read without waking dh)

hair elastic/ hair clip

All the small things are corralled into a pretty basket and out of sight.

While I was getting in bed last night I noticed that I have quite a list of things I "must have" on/in my nightstand at bedtime and wondered if my list of stuff is extensive or normal. Here they are, in no particular order: chap stick, nail file, nose spray, Vicks vapor rub, allergy eye drops, water bottle, table top fan, cell phone and charger, and a stack of books.

If any of those are missing I am not a happy camper. What about you?

Earplugs!

On top of bedside table

Phone

Eye-Glasses Tray

Lamp

Alarm Clock/Radio

Cup Coaster

In drawer of bedside table

iTouch

Headphones to iTouch

Cable to connect Laptop and iTouch

Cord for Nook, plus wall adapter

External Hard Drive for backing up Laptop

Carmex

Lighter for candles in bedroom

On shelf under drawer

unread magazines

Nook

books being read

BESIDE the bedside table is my Laptop. I have Fibromyalgia so I often lay down to do my Internet rounds.

Edited by Elizabeth in MN

I only keep a hanky and the glasses I've just taken off. Back before kids I also had a pocket dictionary and the book I was reading, but they lost the dictionary and I learned to keep my book out of reach!

Rosie

Wow! Did you say "hanky"? You mean I am not the only one who uses real handkerchiefs and not tissue??? I. am. amazed! ! !

Now to the actual post - I don't have a nightstand. However, the things I like to have handy are:

my glasses

a glass of water

a hanky

a flashlight

a book and my Bible - however, these tend to migrate, so are not constants by the bed

If I am not feeling well (allergies most likely), and/or it is fall or winter, then the list will increase to include:

my glasses

a glass of water (or ginger ale)

handkerchiefs (lots of them!)

a flashlight

whatever meds I may need

lip balm (fall and winter; and when ill)

hand lotion (fall and winter)

Well, since I've moved into my scrapbooking room to escape dh's snoring, I don't have a nightstand anymore. I do have wall shelving over my bed and I keep my clock, lip balm, and books up there within reach. I also put my glasses there when I go to sleep. I have tissues on the scrapbooking table, but I can't really reach them from the bed. I should probably move those within reach, too.

Okay, reading through most of your lists is making me feel more normal. :tongue_smilie: I'm surprised by how many other people have Vicks Vapo Rub. I forgot to add my glasses go there every night and if I could keep my kids from stealing them, I'd also have some Kleenex, but fat chance of that happening. :glare:

We have big nightstands. Ours have 2 drawers and a big shelf, I have A LOT, A LOT of books on the shelf:001_huh:. On the top of the nightstand I have: lip balm, kleenex, a flashlight, cell phone, lamp, alarm clock, and vaseline (for my feet).

My DH has: a lamp with no light bulb, an alarm clock, and a couple magazine (I try to give the kids the impression that DH actually reads something).

Question....why do so many people keep lip balm on their nightstand? Do you wake at night and suddenly feel the need to put it on? :tongue_smilie:

I don't have a nightstand....one one side of my bed is the kids full size bed pushed up against our bed. DH sleeps on the other side where there is a doorway right beside the bed. So no room for a night stand. I wish I had one though.

Currently I have a bed rail separating my bed from the kids bed so that the kids don't crawl up and onto baby (who is sleeping with me). In the crack of the bed rail I have a small flashlight, extra breast pads :tongue_smilie:, a pacifier, a burp cloth, and occasionally my Kindle Fire. If I had a night stand, I'd keep all of the above, plus my phone (plugged into the charger....right now I keep it across the room) and a bottle of water.

Question....why do so many people keep lip balm on their nightstand? Do you wake at night and suddenly feel the need to put it on? :tongue_smilie:

It's all about the bedtime ritual. I have to put it on every night to keep my lips from being dry all night, especially since I have allergies which tend to be more aggravated at night while lying down.