Menu

Would you let your 7yo ds have a TV in his room?

Would you allow your 7yo ds to have a tv in his bedroom?  

1. 1. Would you allow your 7yo ds to have a tv in his bedroom?

• Yes, a free tv...how cool!
    • No way, he is only 7!
    • Other

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No way. No how.

No way on God's green Earth.

Uh-uh.

Nix-Nein, Frankenstein (as we used to say when we were kids)

Nopey, nopey, noperson (as I tell my kids now, because I ooze maturity from every pore)

:lol:

Couldn't have put it better.

Our situation is a little different. We have a family bedroom. There's no TV in there. But there is a TV in the playroom. The kids never use it without me setting them up with a DVD on it. And honestly, it' only used about once a week. It's convenient for when DH and I want to watch a movie. Then we set the kids up with a movie in the playroom.

I voted yes but I have a "but" ;) Our dd's had a tv in their room when they were that age. It had a built in vcr. It was for movie watching and to hook up the old game system to. It was portable so sometimes it lived in our room. I would not have ever hooked up cable nor were they allowed to watch tv on it.

Yes, as long as you are prepared to be firm about when and what he can watch, door must be open, etc. I see no difference between watching it in his room or watching it in the den. My son has one, and it is not a problem. He knows what and how much he can watch. If he were sneaky or likely to disobey about his it wouldn't be there.

Some families feel strongly that TVs should not be in bedrooms. Other families don't. However, I would be more concerned that you don't want TVs in bedrooms, but your dc know they can go behind your back to their uncle in order to break your family rules.

Some families feel strongly that TVs should not be in bedrooms. Other families don't. However, I would be more concerned that you don't want TVs in bedrooms, but your dc know they can go behind your back to their uncle in order to break your family rules.

I agree with what you are saying here. However, I don't know that ds really knew that we didn't want him to have a tv in his bedroom. He had been noticing lately that some of his friends have TVs in their rooms and when his uncle asked what he wanted for Christmas, that is what he asked for.

We let DD have a tv that was not connected to cable. You couldn't watch any television on it, you could only play dvds.

For sleepovers or other times mom and dad needed some private conversation, she could watch a dvd in her room.

Regular television in the room? Never.

ETA, at 12-13, she still has to ask before getting a dvd to watch in her room.

I voted no also.

One thing I'd consider is that if you say yes it's basically opening a door that would be very difficult to close again. We have not allowed any game systems. I think they can be ok but it just hasn't been for us yet. Our boys play games on the computer but we don't have a system. This year we considered getting a Wii as our family gift .I've heard so many good things and I know they can be more interactive and since we do allow some computer/games it seemed like it might be ok. But we ultimately decided no...not because we think it's evil or because we have decided we'll never allow it but because we knew that if we did it we couldn't go back to not having them. For various reasons we decided it just wasn't the right time (mainly I think my middle son isn't old enough and has the personality to get too addicted to them). We are keeping it as option in the future but not for now. Similarly, if you say yes to the TV now it will be much harder to get it out of your son's room or to keep you daughter from having her own TV at a similar age.

I do get where you are coming from with the family. I routinely have to be the bad guy in the family as far as saying no to generous relatives for all kinds of things. I also know that my Mom often thinks I am judging her choices when I tell her I don't want her to do something for my kids. What I have found works is sort of a version of pass the bean dip. Be polite. Be kind. But be firm.

"Thank you so much for being such a generous uncle and great brother. Little Johnny is so lucky to have you in his life and so am I. But we've decided we aren't going to allow him to have a TV in his room yet. I'm sure he'd love to have it to use in the _____ room or he'd love whatever other present you get him."

If your brother says again how he wants to give it or how his kids have one and it's ok or how it's what ds asked for you just smile and firmly but politely say "I know. And we do thank you. But we still think it's best not to have it in his room."

I always find it kind of tiring to have to be the bad guy. But over the years I've always been glad when I do it and I've found that people respect it when you are firm but nice about it.

No.

We have a TV in the living room and the teeny one that I had before we got married in our bedroom. If I had my way, we wouldn't have the one in our bedroom, but my husband likes to leave it on while he falls asleep.

My kids are older now, but my 13-year-old still has to ask permission to watch TV or anything not school-related on his computer. For the most part, the TV in the living room isn't turned on until my husband gets home from work.

I am of the opinion that we all watch too much TV as it is, and I would never allow a TV in a child's bedroom that would allow more screen time, especially unsupervised. It has always been very clear that my son's behavior, in particular, deteriorates when he watches too much TV. It doesn't even seem to matter what he watches, just that he watches at all. So, I would do nothing to make it easier for him to watch more, even at several years older than your son.

We actually ended up with an extra TV a couple of years ago. My husband bought himself a big-screen set, which took the place of the one we had in the living room. We toyed with the idea of moving the displaced one into our room and giving away the little bitty one, but we ended up deciding we didn't need to encourage our own habit of watching at night. So, we gave away the larger, newer set to a family whose TV had recently died. I don't regret that decision one little bit.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

Both mine have tv's and computers in their rooms, they are still constantly under my feet. Just limit how much time they are allowed to watch and "pull the plug". Neither of my children have ever had issues with adverse behavior after watching a lot of tv. If they did things would probably be different.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

We don't allow any electronics in the bedrooms (computers, handhelds, television) although my kids have radio/tape recorders. I'm hoping we can even cut down to only one television as we have an old holdout from many years ago. We don't watch much television, but when we do, it's as a family.

Even as a gift, I wouldn't allow the tv in a child's room.

Nope. Not a chance in hell. I would get rid of our tv completely if dh wouldn't have a tantrum. :tongue_smilie: If it were me, my child's best interest would come before my brother's hurt feelings.

:iagree:

I would love to rid of the tv, but dh likes to zone out in front of one. I'm really not a fan. The kids love the various game platforms, but they all mysteriously broke in the past few months (I had nothing to do with it). I'm in no hurry to fix or to replace the things.

After school, the kids play outside until the sun goes down. I love it, even when they come in all smelly and sweaty. I know they've played hard. It's even gotten to the point where they're begging to play outside, instead of playing on the Wii.