Menu

People with Amazon Prime, how much do you use the free streaming?

There have been many time in the past where we have had to pay for an episode of something on Amazon because it was the only place we could find it. Yesterday when I sighned up for my free Amazon Prime trial I noitced that it said I had free instant downloading for all their shows. Is this right? Wouldn't that be worth the price alone?

I have only had Prime with Amazon Mom or Student and they don't offer the free streaming with those programs.

I do think that Amazon is becoming more competitive with Netflix, but there is a huge difference between the two so far. There are certain programs that are only available on Amazon, so if those are what the customer is after...the it doesn't matter who has more, or does it faster/better....Amazon wins.

For people who would use AP for this shipping benefit 'some' and for the streaming 'some'.....it would probably be worth it. If you would use either one for a total of $8 a month or more...it is definitely worth it.

For me, I prefer Netflix and while there have been a few things on Amazon I would have liked, it wasn't worth having two subscription services. Even without Amazon Prime, I usually order more than $25 at Amazon, so my shipping is free, albeit it does take a week or so to get here.

For people who would use AP for this shipping benefit 'some' and for the streaming 'some'.....it would probably be worth it. If you would use either one for a total of $8 a month or more...it is definitely worth it.

:iagree:This is us. We use the streaming frequently since we have 2 Roku boxes and can stream directly to our TV. We also use the free shipping on a regular basis since I order books as I need them and they are often small amounts. Now that we have a Kindle Fire and can stream to the tablet too (as well as use the Kindle lending library) I think Amazon Prime is a steal for all the services we are accessing.

We have prime but have never used it for the free streaming. Totally forgot about it honestly. Beside I don't want to watch tv on my computer. I don't have our tv hooked to the internet and just don't want to go there. More than you wanted to know.... :) I totally get my money's worth for shipping though.

Practically never. The selection is not nearly as good as Netflix. Though DH just got a Kindle Fire so I expect he may use the streaming a bit more. They are slowly increasing their selection, so we hope that eventually we can drop the Netflix subscription.

I've had Prime for just about as long as they've offered it, and I do feel it's been worth it for us. I love free 2 day shipping, and DH loves cheap overnight shipping. Now that they've added the streaming and the Kindle lending library, I think we will really get our money's worth and then some...

There have been many time in the past where we have had to pay for an episode of something on Amazon because it was the only place we could find it. Yesterday when I sighned up for my free Amazon Prime trial I noitced that it said I had free instant downloading for all their shows. Is this right? Wouldn't that be worth the price alone?

It's not for all their shows. Only some of them. When you are signed in, you can see whether or not a specific show is included with Prime. I didn't get Prime for the instant viewing, so to me, whatever they do include is a bonus. Only one child really uses the instant viewing.... our main tv doesn't have streaming and I'm not in to watching shows/movies on the computer. The kids tv has streaming (via the Wii) but it's not a place we can all sit in with ease.

I found that everything we have streamed so far was an episode of a tv show that we missed on tv that was so far back or so recent that is wasn't on the networks website and it wasn't available on disc or Netflix yet. I think that they have all been $1.99. Do anyone know if these kinds of shows would be included? It would be nice if they are but really won't make much difference. I signed up for Prime because my shipping would have been approximately $130 without it and Prime is only $79 and that is only one order. My Christmas order is usually always this large so anything above that woud be an added bonus. I do make a few additional purchases per year but usually use free super saver shipping for them and get them pretty quickly anyhow. I guess getting them quicker would be nice for textbooks because sometimes they don't get their lists until class has already started (:confused:).

We definitely use it. No, it isn't close to everything they have (only small fraction is free), and no first run movies, but a lot of the educational stuff (BBC and NOVA), some kids movies, PBS shows (nice when you want 25min, just click on SuperWhy or whatever), older tv shows (whole star trek franchise of shows, I had fun rewatching Scarecrow and Mrs King, heehee), and some movies I'd missed. They had a BBC series we were staying up to watch, now can see on our schedule.

We don't have Netflix or cable tv, so it definitely adds more options. I got Prime this spring for the same reason you did (shipping fast would have been most of the cost) and now I'm addicted to the free 2-day shipping. Really does make shopping online replace running to the store for stuff. :D

You can look thru their Prime selection to see if there's much you'd watch.

we use the streaming about twice a week. and once a week, we "rent" something for our movie night.

prime would be worth it to us for the shipping alone; the streaming is bonus.

we cancelled our netflix after they continued to advertize on several shows that were gay-bashing, and i thought "not with my money you don't". we miss it, but amazon prime means we don't miss it much.

fwiw,

ann

I don't - but I do NOT stream from anywhere else at all. only the primary account holder can stream for free.

My daughter did hack into my account when I was out of town to get my password so she could stream something. (not a big deal, I'd have given it to her if she'd asked. I like having computer geek children.) I know my son streams all. the. time., but I'm not sure from where.

Amazon Prime and Hulu are our main TV. We don't watch a ton, but it is a nice added benefit. They do have some educational stuff (Really Wild Animals is popular here). They have also started giving us credit if we don't need an ordered item quickly. That will add up to FREE rentals;) I LOVE amazon prime.

Carly

I've had Prime for years for the shipping benefit. The free streaming has been a bonus. We watch Star Trek and Dr. Who. Also, we like to watch bizarre old movies and musicals like Taming of the Shrew and Bye Bye Birdie. We don't watch enough of anything to justify purchasing Prime for that purpose -- for that matter, we'd never do Netflix for the same reason -- who the heck has time to watch all of that stuff? -- but for an added benefit it's pretty cool.

I think the lending library is pretty useless.

We use it though, as others have said, we have a Prime account for shipping. (Must check out that credit system now!)

I watched the first series of Downton Abbey via Amazon, since it's not available on Netflix yet. The kids have watched some old movies not available on Netflix for streaming (1949 Little Women, for instance), and we rented a movie for streaming last night (Rio), which is a nice option.

I don't know about Prime streaming, but you can make a wishlist queue for rentals. I saw that was one of the options for the movie we rented last night.