Menu

Knitters, what kind of needles do you prefer?

What type of knitting needles do you prefer?  

1. 1. What type of knitting needles do you prefer?

• Wooden/Bamboo
    • Plastic
    • Metal
    • Other

I prefer circular needles for everything. I'll sometimes used double-pointed needles for socks, because I have them, but prefer circulars for that, too.

I used to love Addi Turbo needles, but have been using various brands of bamboo needles lately. I also have a set of dpns that are square...I like them, but they're size 0...great for socks. I see that they're available as circulars as well, so I may try them in a larger size.

Depends on what I'm knitting and what kind of needles I'm using. I prefer my KnitPicks nickel interchangeables for circulars, wood or bamboo for worsted weight dpns, metal or bamboo for sock and lace weight.

I never willingly use plastic, and I despise the craft store aluminum needles. And I like my needles pointy, so brand matters to me.

I prefer wood/bamboo, my favorite being Knit Picks Harmony. I learned on the cheapo Bates aluminums; they're way too slippery and not good for learning. And while I dislike Bates aluminum, I've found that I like Boye fine. I guess it's just a different finish. The Boyes have about the same stickiness as the Harmony woods but are cheaper. I have a few plastics and don't like those either; they're way too sticky. I prefer dpn's for sock knitting, but circs for most everything else.

It all depends what I'm knitting. For circulars, I prefer Addi turbo. For straight knitting I prefer bamboo of some sort. I also prefer bamboo for double pointed needles. In general I prefer a shorter needle length as this speeds things up for me as I work. I'll often use end caps when transporting a project b/c of the shorter needles.

I prefer wood/bamboo, my favorite being Knit Picks Harmony. I learned on the cheapo Bates aluminums; they're way too slippery and not good for learning. And while I dislike Bates aluminum, I've found that I like Boye fine. I guess it's just a different finish. The Boyes have about the same stickiness as the Harmony woods but are cheaper. I have a few plastics and don't like those either; they're way too sticky. I prefer dpn's for sock knitting, but circs for most everything else.

I love the Harmony needles! They are so pretty! Knitpicks is my choice too.

I learned on bamboo and loved them....until I tried addi lace turbo needles. WOW what a difference. I think they'd be a bit too slippery to learn on, but once you are a decent knitter, I think the addi needles really slide the yarn nicely. I like the sharper points, too!

Depends on the yarn and the pattern.

For example, I usually love Addi Turbos, but I was doing a fine lace in Kidsilk Haze and the Addis about drove me insane -- the yarn kept slipping off the needles. But for a simpler pattern, the Addis are great for Kidsilk Haze.

Usually I like pointy needles for lace, more rounded points for lots of mindless knitting or splitty yarn. Wood or bamboo or certain plastics for slick yarn, metal for sticky yarns.

But I've probably been knitting longer than many people here have been alive -- I still have the first pair of metal needles I bought back in about 1970 -- before that I borrowed from my mom or Grandma. And people give me their needles when they give up knitting, or someone dies and leaves a pile of knitting needles behind, or whatever. So I have an unusually large collection to choose from.

I actually LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my acrylic needles. I never thought I'd say that! :) I have the Denise interchangeable circular needle set. They are made in the USA and guaranteed for life! They do not get cold in the winter like metal needles. I despise cold needles, they hurt my hands. They knit quickly and I love the way the needle joins the cable. It clicks right in place easy peasy. The metal interchangeable circulars I have need a tool to help you screw the needles on tightly. No big deal, though one time one did begin to unscrew and kept ripping my yarn. Took three rips before I realized what was happening. I thought it was the yarn! I prefer to knit everything in the round on two circular needles if at all possible.

I do use DPN's sometimes. I have bamboo, which I like as well. I've never used other DPN's to compare with though. I like that they aren't slick nor cold. I got the bamboo DPN's on amazon super cheap for a whole large set of sizes, sorry don't know what brand. I'm able to knit quickly on them as well.

ETA: I forgot another good thing about the acrylic needles is that they are quiet. Metal needles are noisy! :)

Edited by ThreeBlessings

Umm.... have you noticed this is very personal? It's so amazing to see the differences in knitters. My friend let me borrow her harmony wood needles from knitpicks.com. They are beautiful, but I cannot stand them. They unscrew and have too pointy of a tip for me. Give me circular bamboo over anything, any day.... :)

A room full of knitters, a thousand opinions. Buy what you are comfortable with.

I actually LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my acrylic needles. I never thought I'd say that! :) I have the Denise interchangeable circular needle set. They are made in the USA and guaranteed for life! They do not get cold in the winter like metal needles. I despise cold needles, they hurt my hands. They knit quickly and I love the way the needle joins the cable. It clicks right in place easy peasy. The metal interchangeable circulars I have need a tool to help you screw the needles on tightly. No big deal, though one time one did begin to unscrew and kept ripping my yarn. Took three rips before I realized what was happening. I thought it was the yarn! I prefer to knit everything in the round on two circular needles if at all possible.

I do use DPN's sometimes. I have bamboo, which I like as well. I've never used other DPN's to compare with though. I like that they aren't slick nor cold. I got the bamboo DPN's on amazon super cheap for a whole large set of sizes, sorry don't know what brand. I'm able to knit quickly on them as well.

:iagree:

I love my Denise needles! And for projects that require DPNs, I prefer Clover bamboo needles, though I do use metal DPNs when working with sock weight yarn ('cause I worry that very small-diameter bamboo needles would break -- and can you even buy them in size 0 or 1?).

ETA: Oooh, lookie here! Denise now makes crochet hooks! Dear Santa, I would like....!

Edited by TrixieB

Forgot to say I use the Denise circular needles for straight knitting when I need to do that as well. You can knit back and forth on one circular or there are little buttons you click on the ends to make them just like a straight needle. I have a bunch of aluminum straight needles, some my dh bought super cheap at a yard sale, some my mom gave me because she gave up on knitting. I really should give them away because I don't see myself ever using a straight needle like that again!

:iagree:

I love my Denise needles! And for projects that require DPNs, I prefer Clover bamboo needles, though I do use metal DPNs when working with sock weight yarn ('cause I worry that very small-diameter bamboo needles would break -- and can you even buy them in size 0 or 1?).

ETA: Oooh, lookie here! Denise now makes crochet hooks! Dear Santa, I would like....!

Those crochet hooks are cool. :) I've done tunisian crochet a couple times and it is neat to do something different and make a totally different fabric than regular crochet.

I prefer wooden because they are warm and easier on the hand but in practice use metal circulars for most things simply because between my mum and I we have pretty much every needle we could need. I did have a big set of wooden circulars but the the smallest sizes snapped easily.

Another vote for the KnitPicks Harmony wood needles. I have the interchangeable cable set and several sets of DPNs, including the sock set. I do all my knitting with either cables or dpns. I own bunches of metal sets of both flats and dpns (I somehow inherited a whole bunch) and I only use them very occasionally when I don't have the right size in wood. I hate the feel of the metal needles--they are too heavy, too squeaky, and too cold. The wood needles are soft, warm, flexible, light, and comfortable, and they have a nice pointy point. I have a wish list full of Harmony fixed cables and dpns on my Christmas list this year to finish my set.

I use different needles for different fibres. The gauge &/or length of needle required also affect my choices. The biggest thing is that I'm a "anything but metal, unless they are Addi's" person :)

I have the Zephyr set from KnitPicks, and *ADORE* them. I have many bamboo needles, and love them too. My straights that are metal are so rarely used now, they could easily become a yard sale item!

The best needles I ever bought were a set of bamboo Plymouth interchangeable tips circulars. Sizes 4-10

http://www.knittersreview.com/article_tool.asp?article=/review/product/060309_a.asp

LOVE THEM!

The best part is I got them for under $40 shipped... thank you ebay!

I always have the right size, and enough cable to do whatever. I have made socks, scarves, sweaters, etc without having to grab more tools. I also knti flat with circular needle, just don't join, but turn like regular

The only thing I have added is circs in teensy sizes for fancy sock knitting with thinner yarn... 1,2,3

If you ever decide to go circular, I HIGHLY recommend the two circs at once method, simple to learn, and you will never have to seam things together again. :-)

So, If these ever fail, I am goign for a similar kit.. something like this.. http://www.fabulousyarn.com/needles_exchangeables.shtml

Edited by lcelmer