Menu

has anybody here made pumpkin pie from scratch?

Do you mean from the whole pumpkin? If so it requires several extra steps. You have to bake the pumpkin, cool it, peel it and gut it, then mix it in the food processor. Then you add your ingredients just as you would when making it from a can. Yes it takes a whole lot longer, but it is delicious. I make mine with a gingersnap crust.

Do you mean from the whole pumpkin? If so it requires several extra steps. You have to bake the pumpkin, cool it, peel it and gut it, then mix it in the food processor. Then you add your ingredients just as you would when making it from a can. Yes it takes a whole lot longer, but it is delicious. I make mine with a gingersnap crust.

Best to bake the pumpkin today!

Oooo, I love the idea of the gingersnap crust.

I bake my pie pumpkins in October and freeze it. This week I take it out of the freezer and have it ready to make. Today we're making pumpkin pies. :D

I use my own pumpkin. Coffeegal, I put it through the blender after I cook it and it isn't stringy. Pumpkin pie isn't hard to do, OP. I have a good recipe if you have your own pumpkin, but most people just use Libby's and it is fine.

:iagree: I use the recipe from my Better Homes and Garden Cookbook. I have done it this way for years.

I use my own pumpkin. Coffeegal, I put it through the blender after I cook it and it isn't stringy.

That's the step I missed... I was 22, just married, and attempting the perfect feast for dh and his family and the pie was the best part. I was scarred for life. :lol:

I'll have to try making a pumpkin pie from scratch again next year!

can you tell me how to do it?? Is it hard and time consuming??

Not time consuming, not difficult. Soooooo much better than store bought. Lots of great recipes out there- I like to use fresh ginger. My younger dd made pies from scratch by herself starting when she was 8.

There's no canned pumpkin here so all the pies I've made this year are from real pumpkins/other hard squash. It's not very hard to do, and if you bake it, it's not really that much more time-consuming, especially if you use a different type of squash that's big enough for several pies. You can freeze the extra. But I honestly don't think it tastes any better to use a real pumpkin and if there were canned pumpkin here, I wouldn't bother with real pumpkins.

Some pumpkins are stringy, especially bigger ones. Personally, I think some other types of squash make better pies than pumpkins for that reason.

Just another idea: instead of baking and blending the pumpkin, just stick the big pieces in the crock pot with no water or anything and cook on low all day. Then, just use a potato masher and mash it up right in the crock pot. This is how I made baby food and how I always cook pumpkin for pie, muffins, etc.

Just another idea: instead of baking and blending the pumpkin, just stick the big pieces in the crock pot with no water or anything and cook on low all day. Then, just use a potato masher and mash it up right in the crock pot. This is how I made baby food and how I always cook pumpkin for pie, muffins, etc.

dumb question...I am assuming that you first peel the pumpkin before cooking...right??? I would think it would be way easier to peel it after it was cooked....

dumb question...I am assuming that you first peel the pumpkin before cooking...right??? I would think it would be way easier to peel it after it was cooked....

I cut mine in half, with peel in place, put upside down in the oven, and roast. Gives a very VERY nice flavor. I tend to roast slow and long. If it is a watery pump, drain off water when it is cooked, and mash and let it stand, pouring off any water. I chinois mine, but a fine food sieve would work wonders.

I cut mine in half, with peel in place, put upside down in the oven, and roast. Gives a very VERY nice flavor. I tend to roast slow and long. If it is a watery pump, drain off water when it is cooked, and mash and let it stand, pouring off any water.

:iagree:That's what I did last year.

My family didn't really notice a diff btwn the completely homemade and the canned though. Philistines. :glare:

I use my own pumpkin. Coffeegal, I put it through the blender after I cook it and it isn't stringy. Pumpkin pie isn't hard to do, OP. I have a good recipe if you have your own pumpkin, but most people just use Libby's and it is fine.

I'd love the recipe if you don't mind. I cooked pumpkins the other day to make pies but don't have a recipe yet. Thanks!

The hardest part is the crust. If you can make a crust (and, like the bicycle, once you learn you never forget) it is as "easy as pie". There is a reason for the saying.

:iagree: Exactly what I was going to say.:) Also I mix mine in the blender and pour it into the crust that is already on the oven rack and carefully push it in.

Your a little late though, I start mine in May when I plant the sugar pie pumpkin seeds.:D

I'd love the recipe if you don't mind. I cooked pumpkins the other day to make pies but don't have a recipe yet. Thanks!

I'm sure there are lots of recipes that are fancier than this, but here it is:

1 C sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon

1 large can evaporated milk (1 2/3 C)

1/2 tsp. nutmeg

1 1/2 C pumpkin

2 eggs

Blend together

Bake @ 425 for 15 min. and 350 for 35 min.

ETA: I think this is technically a pumpkin custard, not a pie. Growing up with this I can't stand a more pumpkinny pie.

Edited by Meriwether

I made one last night from this recipe:

2 eggs1/4 cup Evap. Milk

1 cup milk

1 cup pumpkin

1/2tbsp cornstarch

1/3 cup brown sugar

2 tbsps granulated sugar

1/2 tsp powdered cinnamon

1/8 tsp allspice/pumpkin spice

1/8 tsp powdered ginger1/4 tsp salt

Combine wet ingredients. Sift dry ingredients into pumpkin mixture. Blend until smooth. Poor into prepared, untamed crust. Sprinkle top with nutmeg. Bake at 350* for 30 minutes or until filling is set and crust is browned. (It took 45 min in my oven.)

I used carving pumpkin instead of pie pumpkins. I added 1 extra tbsp of each sugar.

I would love to try another recipe as well. One with heavy cream would be great :)

Easy. :)

First buy a pack of pumpkin seeds.... ;)

Seriously, if you want to make it from pie pumpkin it is easy and delicious. I do grow my own pumpkins because I love pumpkin pie, pumpkin scones, pumpkin muffins, bread, cookies, ice cream.....

How to get from pie pumpkin to pumpkin puree: Heat your oven to 400 degrees. Halve your pumpkin(s) and take out the seeds and slimy bits. Set the seeds aside for roasting later. Brush the cut edges of the pumpkin with a bit of oil and place on a rimmed baking sheet with the cut side down. Bake for about 40 minutes (for small pumpkins) to 1 hour (for larger). When done the flesh of the pumpkin should be soft when pierced with a fork, and the outer shell should be pulling away from the flesh. Let cool until you can handle it without burning yourself, then peel the shell off of the pumpkin. Puree the pumpkin flesh in the food processor. If you have time, let the pumpkin cool in the fridge overnight. There will sometimes be a little liquid on the top that can be drained off.

I prefer roasted to steamed because the pumpkin tends to be less watery and the edges against the baking sheet caramelize just a little, which gives the pumpkin a lovely flavor.

Then you just use the puree in your favorite pie recipe. You'll want to adjust the liquid a little, the cream or what have you. Fresh pumpkin puree is more liquid than the canned stuff.

Another tip: My favorite recipe calls for using a partially baked pie shell, starting the filling on the stovetop, then putting hot filling into a hot pie crust to bake until the custard sets. That way the crust and custard are perfectly cooked.

Cat

Once the pumpkin is processed it is very quick and easy. If you don't want to process a pumpkin yourself just buy canned pumpkin. I don't ever bother to sift ingredients. I usually mix the wet ingredients and then add the dry ingredients and mix again, dump into the pie shell (I use refrigerated from the store), and cook.

I got this from Real Simple magazine.

1 pie crust

2 large eggs

1 15-ounce can pumpkin

1 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup pure maple syrup

3/4 t ground cinnamon

1/2 t ground ginger

1/2 t kosher salt

1/8 t ground cloves

Oven to 350' oven rack in lowest position.

In large bowl, whisk together eggs, pumpkin, cream, maple syrup, cinnamon, ginger, salt and cloves. Pour mixture into pie crust and bake 60-70 minutes. Mine always goes at least 70 minutes.

I'm sure there are lots of recipes that are fancier than this, but here it is:

1 C sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon

1 large can evaporated milk (1 2/3 C)

1/2 tsp. nutmeg

1 1/2 C pumpkin

2 eggs

Blend together

Bake @ 425 for 15 min. and 350 for 35 min.

ETA: I think this is technically a pumpkin custard, not a pie. Growing up with this I can't stand a more pumpkinny pie.

Thanks!

Yes, I do.

It is fairly time consuming. I've been doing it this way for years now! My dd and I are taking a break from our 2 day Thanksgiving meal preperations. I start 1-2 days before Thanksgiving and of course on Thanksgiving Day I put in turkey and make homemade whipped cream to go atop our homemade pumpkin pie, bake biscuits and maybe 1-2 other things. I go all out and prepare way too much food.

I buy organic pie pumpkins and have bought at various locations. This year I tried Earthfare, again, and they are the best I've ever bought. Buy smaller ones, maybe 2 for a regular-sized pie shell.

Bake in oven at 350-375 for 60-90 minutes...closer to an hour. Do NOT cut or remove seeds.

Once cooled, cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds. If your pumpkins are in prime condition, as mine are this year, you may need only to "peel back" the rind. If that doesn't work, scoop out the pumpkin.

Follow your favorite pumpkin pie recipe from this point on, using your "real" fresh baked pumpkin.

Now, off to make my own pie. I baked my pumpkins on Monday. Stored in refrigerator to Tues. Tues I scooped, etc and put pumpkin in bowl and it stayed in refrig until just now on Wed when I'm going to return to the kitchen to put it all together. I will bake pie Wed and lightly reheat on TH. The flavors set overnight making it very good. And, it saves time.

HTH!

I will make real homemade whipped cream TH to go on top the pie! Lastly, I zest cinammon from sticks onto the whipped cream. YUM!!!

Edited by sheryl

I got this from Real Simple magazine.

1 pie crust

2 large eggs

1 15-ounce can pumpkin

1 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup pure maple syrup

3/4 t ground cinnamon

1/2 t ground ginger

1/2 t kosher salt

1/8 t ground cloves

Oven to 350' oven rack in lowest position.

In large bowl, whisk together eggs, pumpkin, cream, maple syrup, cinnamon, ginger, salt and cloves. Pour mixture into pie crust and bake 60-70 minutes. Mine always goes at least 70 minutes.

This sounds delicious! Maybe we'll eat it for breakfast!:D

I making my first ones today, wish me luck!

BTW, I just looked at the side of the Libby's can to make sure I had the basics. I mostly decided on a whim to do it. In the grocery store.

:D We did two today. We had to google a made from scratch recipe because we didn't want on that used condensed milk. It had half and half instead.

They turned out fantastic looking. I'm looking forward to tasting them tomorrow.

Such a fun task. My 4 yo dd finished the task of smashing all the pumpkin puree that we'd cooked, froze, and then defrosted today. She mixed ingredients as I added them. My 12 yo dd made the pie crusts for us with Grandma's instruction. We also made a cherry pie. It was fun.

Hope you have a fantastic Thanksgiving!

:iagree: Exactly what I was going to say.:) Also I mix mine in the blender and pour it into the crust that is already on the oven rack and carefully push it in.

Your a little late though, I start mine in May when I plant the sugar pie pumpkin seeds.:D

ooo, I'm going to plan to plant some in my garden next spring! What a great idea. I usually buy them in October.

Once I attempted making a pumpkin pie starting with an actual pumpkin... it turned out very stringy. :tongue_smilie: Now I use the Libby's canned pumpkin and follow the directions, much simpler. :D

Get a cheese pumpkin. It turns out kinda silky not stringy. Also, butternut squash makes the same results as the cheese pumpkin.