Menu

Why didn't I know about TURNIPS?!

It depends on the turnip variety.

Summer turnips -- the little white ones that often come with greens attached, I just scrub them -- these are probably the ones that were eaten raw in Farmer Boy.

Purple top turnips that you get in winter tend to have tougher, more bitter skins so I peel those.

HTH

~Moira

Thanks!:001_smile:

:iagree:We love turnips, parsnips, and celeriac!

A couple of other veggies I haven't seen mentioned yet that we enjoy are:

Fennel

Leeks (I don't know how I reached 28 without ever eating these, I love them!)

Delicata squash (absolutely the best, sweet winter squash and easy to peel because they are so small)

Cheddar cauliflower

Kale - we add this to everything

I love all these. Only I'm not positive what "cheddar cauliflower" is? Do you mean cauliflower with cheese, or the new Orange Colored Cauliflower?

Speaking of colored cauliflower, I have made a soup (my invention) in recent years from boiling purple cauliflower (and sometimes potatoes or regular white cauliflower as well to extend the dish) and garlic in milk until tender, then doing a puree. It makes such a beautiful pastel purple color. It has become a signature "Easter" soup as the color is so beautiful and Easter-y.

It gets oohs and ahhs because it is so unusually pretty, but it is really dead simple. Just don't over-process the potatoes as you don't want to turn them gummy.

Bill

Do you peel the turnips before cooking?

If they are a bigger turnip, say apple sized or larger, you will notice that they probably have a faint "ring" approximately an 1/8 of an inch inside the skin when you slice them in half. I was always told that anything on or outside that ring needed to be peeled off, because that part would be bitter. Now, I have no idea if that is just an old wives' tale, but that's the part I've always discarded, as there doesn't seem to be much in the way of fresh turnips around these parts.

I love all these. Only I'm not positive what "cheddar cauliflower" is? Do you mean cauliflower with cheese, or the new Orange Colored Cauliflower?

Speaking of colored cauliflower, I have made a soup (my invention) in recent years from boiling purple cauliflower (and sometimes potatoes or regular white cauliflower as well to extend the dish) and garlic in milk until tender, then doing a puree. It makes such a beautiful pastel purple color. It has become a signature "Easter" soup as the color is so beautiful and Easter-y.

It gets oohs and ahhs because it is so unusually pretty, but it is really dead simple. Just don't over-process the potatoes as you don't want to turn them gummy.

Bill

I mean the Orange cauliflower hybrid with beta carotene. I don't know why it is so delicious, but I never even liked cauliflower until I had this version. We like the purple and green too, but cheddar is our favorite!

The soup sounds good too, but we have dairy allergies here so I may have to play around with how to blend it with some white beans and broth or something instead.

Purple cauliflower is really nice in salads too. I put it in my layered salad last Easter, everyone loved it.

I love all the veggies here!

Adding one more -- Jerusalem artichoke. You can find them in some stores around this time. painstaking to peel the little knobby tubers, but so good (nutty flavor). They are native to N. America, but, when I first grew them it was when food/gardening here was more middle of the road -- I had to send to a French seed company to get them.

Celeriac -- I usually do it a very simple way, common in France -- peel, cut it in very fine matchsticks and mix with mayo + mustard to serve as a salad. If you want to get fancier, google celeri-rave remoulade.

ETA broccoli raab, if someone has not mentioned it. Great easy to cook green veggie! Just saute in olive oil with a bit of garlic.

Edited by Alessandra

• 2 weeks later...

We like Turnips. Cooked, raw, either way. My DH makes a radish salad and was buying these huge radishes at the farmers market, a week ago he brought home what I thought was radishes and made the salad, but they were turnips. Even better.

Another one that people are always surprised about is beets (not canned but fresh, cooked).

My DD (and I) love brussel sprouts. She didn't get her fill at T-giving, so I had to buy more for her.

Asparagus yum.

Fresh peas, fresh beans. Everything home grown tastes better - imho

One that we don't grow, but is delicious is artichokes.

Hmmmm....interesting. I'm in my 40's and I've never eaten a turnip.

Me too!

I became a turnip convert when I found out they have virtually no carbs (really!). I use them all the time in stews and soups instead of potatoes.

Well, well, well. Turnips are now on my grocery list. Apparently, I did just fall off the turnip truck yesterday. :D

I became a turnip convert when I found out they have virtually no carbs (really!). I use them all the time in stews and soups instead of potatoes.

Um... hate to burst your bubble.

:confused: But according to the USDA and other sources, 1 medium raw turnip (122g) contains the following nutritional information:

• Calories : 34
  • Fat: 0.12
  • Carbohydrates: 7.84
  • Fibers: 2.2
  • Protein: 1.10
  • Cholesterol: 0

:confused: But according to the USDA and other sources, 1 medium raw turnip (122g) contains the following nutritional information:

True, but for an entire turnip, that's pretty low. Especially if compared to potatoes or other starchy veggies.

Yeah, I said virtually no carbs. :) In most low-carb diets, you get to "subtract" the fiber grams, which leaves it at a net of about 5.6g carbs.

A potato of about the same size has about 30g of carbs, of which only about 3 are fiber - about 5x more. Heck, a slice of bread has about 20g carbs!

For me, that makes them a great substitute for potatoes in stews/soups.

Edited by matroyshka

• 1 month later...

So I decided to roast turnips and see what the fuss was about. Omg, I am seriously in love. I hate turnips boiled with greens because they turn to mush but roasted they are fab. My 2 yr old wasnt impressed but my 5, 10, 12, and dh asked for seconds. Dh turned up his nose at first but admitted they were really good in the end.

Today I tried warships roasted for first time and a couple of raw slivers. Can't say I am sold. I roasted with butter, evoo, sea salt, and pepper. I may try them again with maple syrup or honey before giving up on them.

Today I tried warships roasted for first time and a couple of raw slivers. Can't say I am sold. I roasted with butter, evoo, sea salt, and pepper. I may try them again with maple syrup or honey before giving up on them.

Warships? :lol::lol:

Dd wasn't especially super-thrilled about roasted parsnips, either, but I LOVED them. Turnips, warships and rutabagas, cubed/sliced and roasted with olive oil = YUM. Sounds like dinner tonight!

PS: On an unrelated note to whomever else, it was here that I read about this :P

PS: On an unrelated note to whomever else, it was here that I read about this :P

LOL. I think it was me that you were discussing this with. I don't know that we can check because that thread has been deleted.

Now I've got to google Warships.

Warships....omgoodness...I hate this phone at times...lol. it was supposed to be parsnips.

For a certain crowd, that would be a better, more appealing name than "parsnip".

I'm pretty sure Klingons eat warships instead of parsnips, for example.

I didn't read all of the responses so forgive me if this is a repeat...

Turnip fries!!!

Cut your peeled turnips like you would french fries. Spread some olive oil on a baking pan and put your favorite seasoning salt, sea salt, etc in a generous amount over the oil. Roll your turnips around and bake at 350 for about 15 mins. YUMMY!!!

We had our first turnips last spring while reading Farmer Boy. I, too, couldn't believe I'd never had them before. I love them roasted on a tray with other root veggies or cooked in a little bit of broth and mashed with sour cream and a little cheddar.

OK, so talk to me about brussel sprouts. Several of you mentioned those. I have tried them ONCE at an Italian restaurant, and they were so bitter I decided I could finish out my life never trying them again. Are they really worth giving another chance????

Thanks for the help, everybody!

The thing about Brussels sprouts is that they MUST be fresh. The frozen variety are bitter.

I love to quarter them, steam them, and serve on salads. My kids eat them right out of the pan like they're a treat.

I've halved them and marinaded them in olive oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic, some herbs, salt, pepper. I can't seem to make enough.:001_smile: