Menu

Just need to vent - HOA

Our HOA has been after us all year about our lawn. Now they want to seek mediation and an injunction to have the lawn resodded at our expense. I'm just so upset. We told them a few months ago that we are barely hanging on to our house at this point, we do not have money to resod. We would love to as our lawn does have some brown spots. We have a plan to xeriscape and resod hopefully next year when we get back on our feet again.

My husband was unemployed for 2 years and he just got a job in September of this year. Our house is in foreclosure but we are working with the mortgage company and just filed a hardship package with them.

I also get mad because they like to throw extra stuff in like our mailbox needed new numbers. We replaced those right away but they acted like they'd been after us about it before. That was the first notice they just lumped it in with the lawn. They do that all the time with stuff.

Sometimes I think if I did not have 6 kids I'd let the house go just to get out of this HOA. I won't be foolish enough to do this again, that's for sure!!

Anybody have any ideas where we can get the money to fix the yard so they don't do it and charge a crazy amount for it??

So sorry.

I just wanted to mention that we've had some luck with grass seed before (in north FL) and we didn't even bother with trying to plant it at the perfect time of year. It was cheap and we could sprinkle it in bare spots. We watered and watered and watered and wondered if it would ever sprout--it took a little while but then it did wonderfully. Maybe you can find out what kind of grass is growing in your yard (or most common in your neighborhood) and look into getting some seeds.

I don't know what grasses grow in Florida, but in Texas you can buy sod squares for a decent price at most nurseries and sod your own lawn - thus saving $$$. Grass grows so fast in warm climates that you don't need to do the whole yard - just hit the worse spots, water well and hope it spreads fast.

Again - Texas info - but there are winter grasses you can sow from seed very inexpensively. They sprout and grow quickly.

For that matter - how is the grass in your backyard? Is it visible to the neighbors? If not, cut that up and move it to the front yard. :D

Also, consult your local county extension office and ask to speak with a Master Gardener. They are available free of charge to help with garden problems. Most will even make a house call. See if they can give you some inexpensive options.

I would also let it go to mediation. Show them what you are doing to keep up the yard.

:grouphug:

I hate HOAs.

Do you know what is causing the brown patches? That will be pretty important in determining what to do if you want it to really help. And if it is an issue like cinch worms, resodding isn't going to be more than a short term solution anyway.

It sounds like ditching the lawn is your long-term plan though, which I think is a great idea - lawns don't have a lot going for them. Are there low cost steps you could take toward starting that now? Maybe digging up the brown patches and putting down mulch until the next planting season comes (whenever that is in Florida).

What happens if you just tell the HOA that you simply can't afford it now, that you will lose the house, and that having a lot of that is going to drive down their property values?

What happens if you just tell the HOA that you simply can't afford it now, that you will lose the house, and that having a lot of that is going to drive down their property values?

Most HOAs can put a lien on your house. Ours will do that but they will try to work with you first. As in, if you show a concrete, written plan, they'll give you a chance. Our current HOA President would likely help your dh do the work, to save money on labor. I'll always buy in an HOA because of how much it helps resale values, and I don't like junky yards but we are careful to make sure the HOA isn't overkill. There are all kinds, you just need to be aware and read the paperwork ahead of time.

Will a local newspaper consider your story? Sometimes all it takes is shame for people to truly "see." It'd be worth a shot. I think the majority of people can put unemployment and feeding the family/keeping the house on a higher level of importance than having a pretty lawn.

I'm another that will never, ever buy a place with a HOA.

have you looked for a church group? I can think of a few churches in my area that have youth groups or adult groups that help people in the area fix up their homes a few times of year or do yardwork. No, you aren't elderly and unable, but you are lacking funds. Since you are willing to help with the work I would look into a charity group helping out. You have had a hard time with the unemployment and now the HOA is hounding you! It's scary how the HOA can legally take your home from you.....they are ruthless groups and we too will never live under one again if we can help it!

That's awful! We have an HOA but they mainly just make sure people's houses aren't falling down, LOL. They are not strict at all. They have a complaint process where one of your neighbors has to actually be upset with a rule you are breaking before they will do anything (and believe me most people don't care as long as the majority of your siding is still on your house, LOL).

This is the kind of horror story I've heard about HOA's and why, when choosing our "forever home" (Lord willing), we not only eschewed them but also any zoning restrictions.

I'd rather live next to a neighbor who has a broken down car and a bunch of junk in his yard than be told what my property needs to look like.

Good luck, this is terrible.

My community is under an organization like an HOA, but with a different name. We have a codes compliance officer who REALLY tries to work with homeowners, and I serve on the arbitration committee in order to help our residents who are struggling.

I would definitely talk to someone about the minimum you can do to be in compliance or show good faith. No one in our organization will cut a break if letters are ignored, which is where most of ourvresidents get screwed.

I will never buy in a private community again. I hate it.

So sorry.

I just wanted to mention that we've had some luck with grass seed before (in north FL) and we didn't even bother with trying to plant it at the perfect time of year. It was cheap and we could sprinkle it in bare spots. We watered and watered and watered and wondered if it would ever sprout--it took a little while but then it did wonderfully. Maybe you can find out what kind of grass is growing in your yard (or most common in your neighborhood) and look into getting some seeds.

We live in N FL and tried grass seed but, we've had no luck so far. We only tried it in one corner section of the yard because we did not want to dig up the whole yard and find out it did not work.

We have St. Augustine and it's never been great since the builder put it in, but we've managed to keep it nice. This year though it just went to pot for some reason and we can't seem to coax it back.

I don't know what grasses grow in Florida, but in Texas you can buy sod squares for a decent price at most nurseries and sod your own lawn - thus saving $$$. Grass grows so fast in warm climates that you don't need to do the whole yard - just hit the worse spots, water well and hope it spreads fast.

Again - Texas info - but there are winter grasses you can sow from seed very inexpensively. They sprout and grow quickly.

For that matter - how is the grass in your backyard? Is it visible to the neighbors? If not, cut that up and move it to the front yard. :D

Also, consult your local county extension office and ask to speak with a Master Gardener. They are available free of charge to help with garden problems. Most will even make a house call. See if they can give you some inexpensive options.

I would also let it go to mediation. Show them what you are doing to keep up the yard.

I hate HOAs.

Thank you! My brother just ordered sod for my mom's yard and the one pallet he bought was $400 and that was after calling around to many different places. The one pallet barely covered the half of my mom's front yard she had to resod.

My kids are in 4H so I know the Master Gardeners I will have to call them today, I did not even think of that! Thanks again.

The back yard is our garden area so I don't have a lot of sod back there.

We live in N FL and tried grass seed but, we've had no luck so far. We only tried it in one corner section of the yard because we did not want to dig up the whole yard and find out it did not work.

We have St. Augustine and it's never been great since the builder put it in, but we've managed to keep it nice. This year though it just went to pot for some reason and we can't seem to coax it back.

I'm sorry you haven't had any luck with it. I don't have much advice as my thumb is anything but green. St. Augustine grass seems to be the favorite around those parts, and I know of some people who've spent a decent amount trying to sod/maintain it. We actually used Bahia (sp?) seed to fill in a small yard (behind an apartment) that had previously been unkept and covered in pinestraw. We didn't dig anything up; we simply aerated/poked around the yard a little and then sprinkled seed out and watered it every day.

It sounds like you may have some knowledgeable connections so hopefully you can get some good, local advice. Maybe they can even help you find some sod scraps/leftovers someplace. :grouphug:

For my mom's seriously beautiful yard, she had a few brown spots. Turned out that it was worms.... eating the roots! So seriously, take in a chunk and have it looked at before you spend all sorts of money. She had it sprayed and presto.... it was green!! :)

:iagree: Call the ag extension office and they can let you know if that's even possible where you are. We had grubs and one treatment of (whatever it was from Lowes) and our yard was good.

A midnight round with green spray paint - instant compliance! :lol: and :grouphug:

Someone in our neighborhood did that to have green grass in the winter. It looked ridiculous, but they did have green looking grass. :lol:

I would just buy sod squares and fill in the bare spots. Sorry you are dealing with that. If our HOA were like that we would probably move if we could, but so far so good.

A midnight round with green spray paint - instant compliance! :lol: and :grouphug:

That was my very first thought. Go do it. Tonight.

We have a voluntary HOA. Which means it doesn't show up on the home info when buying. You get whammied by a member knocking on your door after you move in. And they act like it is not a voluntary HOA. They won't tell you it is unless you ask. Of the 146 homes here, 60 pay dues. And it's a hard sell to get anyone else to do do. Because once you do, there's no opt out. I will never join. I have no desire for a HOA and they probably don't for me either. lol

That's awful! We have an HOA but they mainly just make sure people's houses aren't falling down' date=' LOL. They are not strict at all. They have a complaint process where one of your neighbors has to actually be upset with a rule you are breaking before they will do anything (and believe me most people don't care as long as the majority of your siding is still on your house, LOL).[/quote']

Ours is the same way, no one walks around looking for violations. They only act if a neighbor complains. But they will work with you. The exception is with dues, as the the Deed of Restrictions doesn't allow lee-way there, but it's only $65/year, so it's generally not an issue.

I would also ask your neighbors if they have any suggestions. They have the same micro-climate, more-or-less, so they might have some tips specific to your area.

Honestly, though, much of Florida just wasn't meant to have lush green lawns. It's a shame that it has somehow become the standard, despite the huge upkeep required to make them grow in a climate to which they are not suited.

I would also ask your neighbors if they have any suggestions. They have the same micro-climate, more-or-less, so they might have some tips specific to your area.

Honestly, though, much of Florida just wasn't meant to have lush green lawns. It's a shame that it has somehow become the standard, despite the huge upkeep required to make them grow in a climate to which they are not suited.

What's really awesome is that FL is usually under water restrictions. The President of our HOA basically said to ignore the restrictions and if you get caught pay the measly little fine because you have t water almost 5 days a week to keep your lawn in the summer. It was implied that the city fine IF you are caught watering on the wrong day is nothing compared to the HOA fines and attorney fees. He's right. It makes me so mad!!

EXCELLENT!!!! Just make sure you match it with the right shade of green. I'd SO do that!!!

Also, I agree that there's a reason why the grass has died in spots. You need to fix that before you do anything else or you very well could be wasting your money.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:We stopped a move to another state because all the acreage we looked at had an HOA. NEVER. NO THANKS!!!!!!!!!

What's really awesome is that FL is usually under water restrictions. The President of our HOA basically said to ignore the restrictions and if you get caught pay the measly little fine because you have t water almost 5 days a week to keep your lawn in the summer. It was implied that the city fine IF you are caught watering on the wrong day is nothing compared to the HOA fines and attorney fees. He's right. It makes me so mad!!

Hmm... I know our type of organization (Civic Association) is required to adhere to state regulations on planned communities. I assume HOAs have to do the same.

Private communities cannot override state or local laws, ordinances or declarations. For us, encouragement to break such rules would be cause for the removal of the involved director(s).

You may want to look into whatever laws govern your organization.

:001_huh: :angry:

Ok, I was only 1/2 way kidding about the spray paint. I knew I had read of a product somewhere - this might be it.

http://www.grassbgreen.com/Lawn_Paint_FAQ_s/25.htm

Also, you might consider planting rye grass with will grow quickly, very green. However, it will die off after one season. A temporary solution until you can make the permanent changes you desire.

That was my very first thought. Go do it. Tonight.

We have a voluntary HOA. Which means it doesn't show up on the home info when buying. You get whammied by a member knocking on your door after you move in. And they act like it is not a voluntary HOA. They won't tell you it is unless you ask. Of the 146 homes here, 60 pay dues. And it's a hard sell to get anyone else to do do. Because once you do, there's no opt out. I will never join. I have no desire for a HOA and they probably don't for me either. lol

I have never heard of this. WHAT is the incentive for joining?

If he was stupid enough to put that in writing it needs to find its way into the local newspaper or some other forum. Maybe a youtube if he said it at a meeting.

Wow, you have that wicked combination of HOA and FLORIDA. We have owned three homes in FL with HOAs and the biggest thing they have in common is a passel of retirees with lots of time on their hands to hunt down code violators. Petty and insensitive.

I think you have gotten some good advice - first, let it go to mediation, that will buy time. Contact your Master Gardeners, they can do soil sampling and help with your xeriscape plan, which you can show during mediation if need be. They can probably also tell you if there are bugs causing brown spots, that's pretty common in the south. I love county extension, they are so helpful.

Try seeding, but don't go to a big box store like Lowe's. Go to your local nursery and ask if they have a seed mix that is customized for your local area. We always used a four-seed "Florida Mix" with good results. Also, instead of sodding in squares, if you have Centipede grass, it spreads by sending out runners across the surface. Instead of sod squares, you can maybe just pull some 2x2" plugs out of the back yard and see if they will root and spread in your trouble spots.

Sorry you have to deal with this. I love what someone else said about their HOA leader, that he'd come alongside and help make things right. That's how it *should* be, instead of relentless finger-pointing.

Hah.

"Could I get that in writing?"