Menu

If you don't drink for religious reasons

would you be upset if you found out that the food you just ate as a guest at someone else's Thanksgiving meal was made (cooked so the alcohol is gone) with Grand Marnier?

Not if the alcohol was REALLY gone. It takes a lot longer than most people think (see here for details), and even then there are always trace amounts left.

If I did eat something with alcohol in it I wouldn't feel I had sinned or anything - since I didn't know in advance. I also wouldn't blame the host, unless they knew my convictions and did it on purpose. But I'd be kicking myself for not asking beforehand and I'd be more careful at that person's house in the future.

and if you don't drink it's probably because of the alcohol and the alchohol was cooked out. . . . so. . . no, I wouldn't be upset. In the end, isn't it a heart issue? You weren't truly 'drinking' and you're heart was definitely not in disobedience mode. I'm thinking God doesn't count it as sin towards you. mho

Edited by connib

I wouldn't be upset. I would prefer otherwise, but if it happened, it happened. No harm done. Although, just so you know, all the alcohol almost never cooks out. There's usually some left. Link

ETA: I'm assuming it was an accident (host didn't know I don't drink). If it was on purpose I might be a little upset that I wasn't informed so I could make the decision whether or not to eat the item.

Edited by MeaganS

I personally don't drink for religious reasons, but if consuming alcohol was an accident then I wouldn't worry or be upset at the person. On the other hand, if someone were to purposely try to deceive me into something, anything, against my personal beliefs than of course I would have reason to feel upset. Who wouldn't?

personally, it wouldn't bother me - though I would appreciate being warned. I'm not keen on grand marnier (I'm a purist - orange and chocolate just doesn't do it for me), but depending upon the item might tolerate it. pure flavorings have a lot of alcohol in them.

otoh: I wasn't warned the chocolate mousse I ordered was made with espresso - I sent it back. (usually a restaurant will have that in its description. they didn't.) I realize my feelings about coffee are so strong because the sight of my mother's glass of milk with folger's coffee crystals floating on top was gross. I don't even tolerate the smell.

I do sub cranberry juice for red-wine in recipes - but that's just me.

So does the alcohol in vanilla extract not cook out in cookies, cakes, etc? If you don't drink for religious reasons do you leave the vanilla out of your baked goods?

We leave it in. It is impossible to get rid of all alcohol (think bread), and for us it is more about not drinking alcohol. It's a spirit of the law kind of thing for us. Some others may be stricter, but most people I know who are like me are just fine with vanilla and other extracts.

would you be upset if you found out that the food you just ate as a guest at someone else's Thanksgiving meal was made (cooked so the alcohol is gone) with Grand Marnier?

I drink alcohol, but my parents never consume alcohol in any form, including not eating Chicken Marsala, Coq A Vin, Rum Cake, etc. Knowing that, I would never serve them these meals. It would not surprise me if they were upset to learn that they consumed alcohol inadvertently, unless they were eating somewhere in which the host had no idea they kept to rules that strict.

No, not if it's one of the almost-entirely-cooked-out methods. Vanilla extract is in alcohol and no one cares about that, eh?

There are lots of Mormon women who refuse to use pure vanilla extract. They use imitation vanilla.

I am more of a spirit of the law type of person myself. I have a bottle of cooking wine in my cupboard. I haven't used it much since I heard it was so overloaded with salt :glare: I just use white grape juice instead. Isn't that funny? Silly little Mormon me, opposed to the salt content but not the alcohol. :lol:

It might depend upon if those convictions were about getting drunk (and avoiding drinking to avoid getting drunk) or avoiding every.single.trace. of alcohol. I *have* seen some odd judgement passed onto a (fantastic) cook who keeps alcohol (for the sole purpose of her fantastic cooking) in her cupboards. Noses were upturned at her lack of convictions...eventhough they ate her cooking.

That said, I'd politely make it clear what's in the dish so that the guest can politely decline, if need be.

There are lots of Mormon women who refuse to use pure vanilla extract. They use imitation vanilla.

I am more of a spirit of the law type of person myself. I have a bottle of cooking wine in my cupboard. I haven't used it much since I heard it was so overloaded with salt :glare: I just use white grape juice instead. Isn't that funny? Silly little Mormon me, opposed to the salt content but not the alcohol. :lol:

I am glad I was raised by a convert! I use real vanilla without a second thought! :D I also have wine in my cupboard from when I was making a roast ala Weston Price cooking.

Nope, not a bit. The Bible says, alternately, "be not drunk," and "eat what is set before you."

We don't drink because we know a number of people who are former alcoholics, and we don't wish to ever contribute to another person stumbling back into alcoholism. As long as I am not imbibing, my conscience is clear that I am not intentionally causing someone else to fall.

I suppose you should take my response with a grain of salt, however. I do cook with wine, but I leave it out if I know or am unsure if person I am sharing my meal with has a problem with alcohol. For a long time I didn't even cook with it, but we moved away from a church that ministered to a large population of recovering addicts and the Italian in me appealed to my taste buds. :)

I don't drink. After growing up watching it destroy families, I hate it. That said, I don't have a problem with people cooking with wine. I don't do it because of the whole avoiding the appearance of evil thing. But I've used cooking wine and I've ordered dishes made with alcohol. As far as I know, nobody has abused their spouse and family after eating Chicken Marsala.

I'm Bible Believing Baptist, by the way. I think a Mormon might be offended.

I am glad I was raised by a convert! I use real vanilla without a second thought! :D I also have wine in my cupboard from when I was making a roast ala Weston Price cooking.

has nothing to do when they joined the church - some converts are stricter than lifers. I use the real flavorings becasue I want quality ingredients. imitation vanilla? yuck. I can tell the difference between chocolate made with vanilla and that using the fake stuff. If I"m going to be imbibing all those calories - they'd darn better taste good!

Edited by gardenmom5

has nothing to do when they joined the church - some converts are stricter than lifers. I use the real flavorings becasue I want quality ingredients. imitation vanilla? yuck. I can tell the difference between chocolate made with vanilla and that using the fake stuff.

True but my parents are liberal in some ways.

Lots? Really? My husband was raised Mormon in Lehi, his whole family is Mormon, we lived in Utah for 8 years and about 80% of our friends are Mormon. I've never, ever heard this before. Although, I also don't know ANYone who won't drink caffeinated sodas, either. Maybe I'm hanging out with the liberal Mormons...

Lots of us raised in the church don't care either :) Plus, my mom was brought up with authentic Chinese cooking. They use lots of Mirin. Yummm...my mouth is watering just thinking about chicken and cashews

1. the alcohol is gone

2. I personally feel that God would rather I enjoy the company of people and take the opportunity to show his love.

It depends on the situation. If it is a person I don't know well and I think their intention was to provide a lovely meal for me and didn't either know about or understand the alcohol issue, then I would not reject the food or be insulted in any way. On the other hand, if the person cooking has full knowledge of my faith and also know that I do avoid alcohol, but they serve something with alcohol anyways and without telling me, then yes I would be annoyed. From my understanding there is no way to cook out all of the alcohol, so when people tell me that it still doesn't make a difference to me.

Lesley

Edited by oldskool
clarity

Lots? Really? My husband was raised Mormon in Lehi, his whole family is Mormon, we lived in Utah for 8 years and about 80% of our friends are Mormon. I've never, ever heard this before. Although, I also don't know ANYone who won't drink caffeinated sodas, either. Maybe I'm hanging out with the liberal Mormons...

My mom knew people in our South Carolina ward who wouldn't. I saw an article, I think on LDS Living, where they were talking about wine in cooking. For the life of me, I can't find it now. (It was about 8 months ago when I saw it, shortly after my daughter was born. Forgive me for not remembering all that much about the article itself.) You would not believe the judgment thrown at people who use vanilla extract or cooking wine. Very judgmental. That's what I remember most about the article.

EEK! Here it is!

Edited by meggie

If they knew that I didn't drink alcohol, and didn't inform me the dish had alcohol in it so that I could make the decision then I would be upset.

(not for religious reasons, but I do not drink alcohol. I do eat food cooked with alcohol depending what it is and how it was prepared.

So, we can invite you over for Chicken Marsala? I'm on the fence about cooking with wine in the pan, since it's less effective at reducing the alcohol, but if dh makes it I'm gonna eat it, lol! And use the real extract, thankyouverymuch. :lol: I'll have to check my respected-church-position dad's cupboard but I'm pretty sure he uses real vanilla. :tongue_smilie:

So, we can invite you over for Chicken Marsala? I'm on the fence about cooking with wine in the pan, since it's less effective at reducing the alcohol, but if dh makes it I'm gonna eat it, lol! And use the real extract, thankyouverymuch. :lol: I'll have to check my respected-church-position dad's cupboard but I'm pretty sure he uses real vanilla. :tongue_smilie:

You can invite me over for anything and I'd eat it (and return your glove which I found in my back pack the other day, OY!

DH and I drink a glass of wine on occasion but my family does NOT drink alcohol. I have never seen anyone in my immediate or entire extended family drink anything ever. They all cook with wine all the time though. They cook it out. They don't believe drinking is a sin in and of itself but that it can lead to sin. I always figured that putting it in your soup wouldn't lead to sin and so they didn't care about that lol but I have never asked.

I am more of a spirit of the law type of person myself. I have a bottle of cooking wine in my cupboard. I haven't used it much since I heard it was so overloaded with salt

I've heard that "Cooking wine" is crap and you're better off just using regular wine. I can get small (1-2 glass) bottles in my grocery store, so that's what I buy when I need just a little. If you're in Utah, the package store (is that what they're called? the liquor store. they were "package stores" in NY) might sell something similar if you'd like to cook with wine once and see how it goes. White wine is lovely in chicken piccata :)

I'm not LDS, i just don't drink much wine.

I'm LDS. I wouldn't be offended and I eat what was offered. My parents probably wouldn't eat it if they knew and would be offended if told after the fact. My house growing up was on the no caffeine side of the controversy. :tongue_smilie: Dh's dad cooks with wine on occasion. So, different LDS folks have different feelings about it. :)

I would prefer coffee-free dessert, though. ;)

I've heard that "Cooking wine" is crap and you're better off just using regular wine. I can get small (1-2 glass) bottles in my grocery store, so that's what I buy when I need just a little. If you're in Utah, the package store (is that what they're called? the liquor store. they were "package stores" in NY) might sell something similar if you'd like to cook with wine once and see how it goes. White wine is lovely in chicken piccata :)

I'm not LDS, i just don't drink much wine.

Wow, really? I grew up in NY and this is the first time I've ever heard the phrase "package store." They were all liquor stores where I lived. :tongue_smilie:

Sorry for the hijack, Parrothead - and glad to see you got it figured out! :001_smile:

I wouldn't be upset. I would prefer otherwise, but if it happened, it happened. No harm done. Although, just so you know, all the alcohol almost never cooks out. There's usually some left. Link

ETA: I'm assuming it was an accident (host didn't know I don't drink). If it was on purpose I might be a little upset that I wasn't informed so I could make the decision whether or not to eat the item.

:iagree:It doesn't all cook out, so I would be consuming alcohol, but if I did it unknowingly....no harm. Intention on my part is required for it to be "bad". :D A host who was not aware of my religious beliefs is hardly culpable. Even if she was (and was just secretly trying to get me smashed :lol:), it's still not a biggie if I'm unaware of the alcohol content of the dish.

Now, if it reeks of whiskey and I ask if the dish was prepared with alcohol, and it was....I wouldn't eat it. Hopefully that wouldn't offend.

I'm glad your guests were gracious about it. I probably would be too, since it was likely done out of ignorance. I would remind the hostess to please refrain from using alcohol next time, or at least to warn us when it is served. At any future meals at her home, I would ask about alcohol in the food before eating, just to be sure. It is important to show gratitude for the hospitality and not hurt her feelings, but I would pay extra care in the future.

No, I do not use vanilla extract with alcohol (sometimes you can find non-alcoholic extract at the healthfood store), or cough syrup, or mouthwash with alcohol. A religious injunction is just that.

In the end, isn't it a heart issue? You weren't truly 'drinking' and you're heart was definitely not in disobedience mode. I'm thinking God doesn't count it as sin towards you. mho

This. :)

I always believe that the spirit and heart is what matters. Not merely the law. God is the All-Forgiving, the All-Merciful. :)