Menu

Fake flickering candles and a sense of loss...

I like the flickering fakes. they do feel real, and they aren't a fire hazard. some even have a light fragrance.

I used to enjoy candles at christmas time, but they would make my mother cough (her lungs were damaged) and so candles went the way of the dodo in my house.

We have lots of real candles inside & out, but I use fake votive candles on a wall sconce/sculpture. It's quite large, and real candles were causing a black mark on our ceiling. The little fake votives create a great ambiance, and all the real candles provide that lovely candle smell.

:iagree: but I did see my niece's hair go up in flames at her wedding from a candle, so I respect the advice and would heed it.

She went to grab something from the back side of a table, leaned too close to a candle and part of her hair went up in a flame. I was across the dance floor, ran over to her and was able to put the flames. She didn't know what was going on, just that her aunt was assaulting her head. LOL I told her what happened, and she just shrugged it off, since her hair was mostly intact, she went on about her night. lol

:iagree:

My family back home does too.

We can't because every single tree here is cut during growth to achieve a dense cone shape, where naturally there would be spaces between branches. I was very disappointed that I am unable to have real candles on my Christmas tree.

I want real candles.

Are you near a forest? We can get a permit just for tree cutting and choose any tree in a designated area - this is usually several acres.

Ahhh, the memories of real candles and the counting of candles to make sure all were lit and extinguished...and to think we all survived it and nobody's house burnt down.

Well, I am the daughter of a fire marshal. ( My mom!!! She ended up doing it as a job to get paid after years as a volunteer when I was small.) No real candles and no real trees. I saw way too many videos of how quickly things catch on fire, and when my parents were part of the volunteer department when I was small, I also saw all the fires that were started as a result. I'm a fuddy duddy. Sorry. Don't watch any fire movies with me either. My dh gets irritated when I'm yelling at the screen, "They are dead!! Where is their mask? They would be unconcious right now and the smoke is so think they wouldn't be able to see!!!)

I agree with you.

It's like those gas station roses. I don't ever want to be given a gas station rose in a tube.

At 80 years old, you deserve flames and birds of paradise flown in by the Concord.

That is something to celebrate "for reals". ;)

eh, a gas station rose is better than no rose. Once my now dh was pumping gas for me, when we were dating. I would drive 2 hours each way to visit him,so he would buy my gas. Anyway, he went inside and came out with a rose to surprise me, for no reason. I loved it.

But for holidays and such he gets me flowers from Costco, because he knows I like that they are organic.

I have three of the fake/flameless candles on m fireplace mantle. :001_huh: I actually like them up there and never really put that much thought into it I guess. Now I'm wondering if people are going to ridicule me when they leave my home.

Of *course* the ones on your mantle are fine! If I walked into your home, I'm sure I'd think they were a lovely addition to your decor. I would, however, hope that for special occasions, your kids and your dh would get to experience seeing their mama across the table from them in that unique glow that candlelight provides. :001_smile:

Besides, I'd be too busy being happy to be invited over to be critical of anything!

I completely agree.

I especially dislike them at prayer locations.

Telling someone you'll light a candle for them just isn't the same when all you do is flick a switch. :(

Ugh, I know. :glare:

The reasoning at my church is that it's over 150 years old and they don't want it lost to fire. I get that, I really do, but it still makes me cranky. I want to see a flame. Incense of a prayer doesn't rise with a flicker. :glare::glare:

Of *course* the ones on your mantle are fine! If I walked into your home, I'm sure I'd think they were a lovely addition to your decor. I would, however, hope that for special occasions, your kids and your dh would get to experience seeing their mama across the table from them in that unique glow that candlelight provides. :001_smile:

Besides, I'd be too busy being happy to be invited over to be critical of anything!

:iagree:

The reasoning at my church is that it's over 150 years old and they don't want it lost to fire. I get that, I really do, but it still makes me cranky. I want to see a flame. Incense of a prayer doesn't rise with a flicker. :glare::glare:

:001_huh:It's over a 150 years old and hasn't been lost to fire by prayer candle yet, so why would it suddenly happen now? How disappointing. And illogical.

Us too. This parish lost the church building to fire in the early 60s. No real candles unattended for us. The candles on the alter are put out within moments of mass ending.

Us too. This parish lost the church building to fire in the early 60s. No real candles unattended for us. The candles on the alter are put out within moments of mass ending.

No see I don't have a problem with that. Unattended candles being put out makes sense. I do the same at home. I would never light a candle or the fireplace and then leave.

:iagree: but I did see my niece's hair go up in flames at her wedding from a candle, so I respect the advice and would heed it.

Dh and I lit one of those unity candles during our wedding ceremony. We each lit the candle from our own, then we were supposed to blow out our individual candles. I blew gently and my veil blew towards the flame. I tried again, and again my veil went towards the flame. I was afraid I'd set myself on fire if I blew hard enough to put the candle out. My brand new husband saw what was happening and blew the candle out for me. That scenario never even crossed my mind when we were planning our wedding ceremony. Sometimes a thing can appear perfectly safe and it's hard to understand why anyone would say no to it.

I also love clothes made of cotton and wool, wooden toys (and metal ones, too), original art on the walls (especially children's creations), houseplants growing in pots, live acoustic music, cooking with actual heat, real books made of paper...

sigh

Ok, so on the gas station roses, I just had a conversation with someone this weekend and they told me the glass vile is used to smoke c r a c k. :confused1: I prefer the very sweet stories I am reading here! I have no idea if there is any truth in that, but when I saw those brought up in this thread, I just had to throw that out there since it was a just a topic of recent conversation.

At least fake candles provide illumination -- i.e. serve some sort of purpose. What about fake shutters nailed to the outside of a house? Attached garages fashioned to look like barn doors?

I have no candle nostalgia whatsoever. In fact, I wouldn't even want to be in a room with a "real" chandelier -- that lit with multiple candles burning brightly overhead.

The real problem with candles vs. electric lighting is that it's hard to suggest to someone when it's time for them to leave. In the past, if you didn't want company for long, just put out shorter candlesticks. Oops, getting dark -- party's over.

Ok, so on the gas station roses, I just had a conversation with someone this weekend and they told me the glass vile is used to smoke c r a c k. :confused1: I prefer the very sweet stories I am reading here! I have no idea if there is any truth in that, but when I saw those brought up in this thread, I just had to throw that out there since it was a just a topic of recent conversation.

:confused: The gas station roses I've seen have always had plastic vials.

:confused: The gas station roses I've seen have always had plastic vials.

Ok, I did a quick Google and that is indeed what the glass ones are used for. I have no idea about the plastic. I don't think I have ever noticed them, I avoid the gas station/convenience store! Just thought it an interesting tidbit, particularly in light of this discussion. Crazy world we live in, huh?

She went to grab something from the back side of a table, leaned too close to a candle and part of her hair went up in a flame. I was across the dance floor, ran over to her and was able to put the flames. She didn't know what was going on, just that her aunt was assaulting her head. LOL I told her what happened, and she just shrugged it off, since her hair was mostly intact, she went on about her night. lol

I caught my hair on fire at a christmas party once. Thankfully I had long hair and it was in a pony tail and somebody spotted it quickly.

You reminded me that dh's aunt caught on fire at my sil's wedding. Well her dress did. We were seated and the aunt came over to talk to us. She is regaling us with a story when I notice her sleeve caught on fire. I interrupted and said "*****, you are on fire." And she said "No, Kathy, the story is not that good." and I said "No, you are on fire" at which point dh realizes that she is on fire and reaches across the table to pat out the flames (mind you there were water glasses full of water all over the table).

Since, it wasn't serious, we all laugh about it but now I am thinking that flowers on the buffet table would be a better option.