Menu

YOUR favorite book from your childhood

KristenR

The Secret Garden fell in a creek, and I still kept it and read it with the wavy, puffed out pages and all.

:001_smile:I dropped my copy of Little Women in my grandparents' yard, and it was mauled by a dog and carried to a neighboring field. I found it, taped it together and finished reading it. It is still the copy I have.

Others favorites: Nancy Drew, Little House series, Childhood of Famous Americans books, An Old-Fashioned Girl, Anne of Green Gables (somehow didn't discover these until 7th grade)

High school: Jane Austen books, Jane Eyre, Tess of the d'Urbevilles (I don't like Tess as much as I did as a teen - my taste has swung more toward Austen)

My favourite books as a child were:

Milly Molly Mandy

The Little House Series

The Greene Knowe Series by Lucy M Boston

Why the Whales came by Michael Morpurgo

All of these books have left an imprint on my mind of how I felt reading them and the images that they evoked. I can drop right back into reading them like a child.

The Betsy books by Carolyn Haywood

Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink

The Belgariad series by David Eddings

All-of-a-Kind Family by Sidney Taylor

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

Tara

I read this library book in the 1st or 2nd grade and it gave me the view of the world larger than my poor neighborhood. As an adult, I looked off and on for this book, but couldn't find it. Lo and behold, I discovered it at a church where I was teaching a coop class...in one of their Sunday School rooms. They let me have it!

For the first time in possibly a couple of decades, a memory of this book came to me in the past week and I had no idea how in the world I would locate it when I could recall nothing but those detailed pictures. The possibility of asking the hive occurred to me but the odds seemed pretty slim considering how little I remembered. Then I read this and would you believe it was some ghost memory of the author's name that made me pause and look again. Totally crazy.

hhehehhe

I am so glad that this post is proving helpful to other people as well!! :lol:

The recommendations have been great and my amazon wish list is going to be LOADED this year!! It was really nice to see so many books repeatedly mentioned. You know its a goodie then! And I also loved hearing about so many new (old) books that I otherwise might have missed. Thank you everyone!

So what books left such a lasting impression on you that you can't wait to share them with your kids. Any kind of book - it can be a living book or textbook or comic book- whatever.

For me I remember being totally immersed in True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi.

Please add your memorable must haves for me to add to my x-mas wishlist!!

Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey

Andrew Henry's Meadow by Doris Burn

The Bear's Christmas by Stan and Jan Berenstain

Strawberry Girl by Lois Lenski

Blue Ridge Billy by Lois Lenski

The Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Mary Poppins

Pippi Longstocking and Pippi in the South Seas by Astrid Lindergren

Ramona the Pest (Entire Henry and Ramona series) by Beverly Cleary

Ralph S. Mouse by Beverly Cleary

Katie John by Mary Calhoun

The Borrowers by Mary Norton

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series

Hans Brinker by Mary Mapes Dodge

The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss

Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving

Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Jester

Childhood of Famous Americans series

Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery

Where the Red Fern Grows and Summer of the Monkeys by Wilson Rawls

101 Dalmations by Dodie Smith

The Story of the Trapp Familly Singers by Maria Von Trapp

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

Sounder by William H. Armstrong

The Complete Works by William Shakespeare

1984 by George Orwell

Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

Good-bye Mister Chips by James Hilton

Edited by kalphs

Okay .. I didn't add my favorite book because I have been thinking and thinking and thinking about this and still this morning am feeling pretty disappointed but not sure if it should be with myself (memory worse than I realized?) or my childhood (I apparently read a lot of trash because that's all I can remember - no stories that moved me enough to recall much more than the cover or series name or author or genre or that would choose to read again .. ever). I haven't even read most of the books mentioned already or even heard of many of them! This is somewhat of a traumatic revelation for me but redoubles my resolve to fill my own children's lives with quality literature.

I do recall reading the Chronicles of Narnia and DH has taken upon himself the reading aloud of these to our firstborn but I realized last night that they don't have much hold in my heart or mind.

The only two books that did stick to me were a couple from my last couple of years in high school - 1984 and A Brave New World. As I think about it I'm thinking they stuck because .. I don't know how to express it .. I had to chew? I recall being so offended by A Brave New World that I didn't even finish it in high school (I don't remember but I presume that paper didn't turn out well) but what I did read stuck with me enough that I came back to it a couple years later and finished it. Oh wait .. now another comes back to me - Lord of the Flies. Another senior English assignment. I never really thought about how much that class challenged me until now.

.. oh, and obviously these won't be shared for quite a while.

I have so many that I loved, they are like old friends now. The one that stands out to me is:

The Bridges at Toko-Ri. I was in 4th grade and we were instructed to pick out a book for a report from the book shelf. At the time, I had not really enjoyed reading. I picked this book solely on the basis of thickness, or lack thereof in comparison to the others. I read it three times and wrote a huge report, for a 4th grader, mostly about my feelings, not about the book. It sparked something inside me that I will never forget..... I think I need to put that old friend out again. :)

I read voraciously as a kid. Now that you mention this book, I remember very well seeing it on one of my teacher's bookshelves. I remember passing it up dozens of times when looking for a book to read because war stories had zero appeal to me. Hmmm....I may have to give it a shot now.

Any Garfield comic book

Anne of Green Gables

Sweet Valley books (*gasp* twaddle!!!:lol:)

Nancy Drew

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

Let the Circle be Unbroken

Uncle Tom's Cabin

All Quiet on the Western Front

Ramona Quimby books

How to Snoop in Your Sister's Diary

I used to also love those books where you can choose which page to go to and have different endings.

Edited by MissKNG

Ones I don't think I've seen mentioned:

Swallows and Amazons - I must have checked that book out of the library several hundred times :D

One hundred and one Dalmatians by Dodie Smith

Daddy Long Legs

Also some mentioned by others:

The Secret Garden

Many of Louisa May Alcott's (except NOT Little Women! I'd say An Old Fashioned Girl was my favorite)

the Narnia books

On my brother's behalf - a non-reader's favorite book: Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh

There is this little book and I can not remember the name of it - I would love to know if any of you know what it is...

The setting is during the early AD years. It is about P. Benjamin Methusula (spelling??) who is a rich glutton of a little boy who has closets full of toys. He lives in a mansion on a hill in Jerusalem. Then the other character is little John who lives in the valley and has one room in the house where he lives with his widowed mom. She begs and mends then rich mens shoes and clothes.

On Sunday it is time to go to church and give an offering. P. Benjamin gives 7 toys away and they make loud sounds when he drops them in the treasury box at church. Little John gives a penny - the only penny they have. P. Benjamin laughs when it is dropped in and barely makes a tinkle. While he is laughing and pointing at little John, he says, I gave that penny to them this morning as they were begging at the city gate. But Jesus says to them: What's 2+2+2+1? It's 7, my friend, only 7. But what's all plus all? It's very close to heaven.

I do not tell this to my kids so they will be religious, go to church and give money (I am actually far against that for many reasons), but rather to help others with what little we have.

This was by far my favorite book in the world from when I was little. I have told it numerous times before bed - it seems to put things into perspective if we seem to be greedy and unthankful.

The Indian in the Cupboard (my mom found lots of Barbie dolls behind cabinet doors :))

The book I read and re-read the most from my childhood was one that no one hear has probably heard about.

My fourth grade teacher was good friends with William Faulkner's niece. She came to visit our class and brought copies of a book she had written about ghost stories her uncle used to tell. She signed all of our copies. I spent this past summer up in my parent's attic finding the book. I read it every year well into high school.

The name of the book is The Ghosts of Rowan Oak: William Faulkner's Ghost Stories for Children by Dean Faulkner Wells. Guess what I pulled out this Halloween to read to my dd7? :D

I still love it!

Bobbsey Twins

I was just going back to edit my post and add these!! I'm surprised I forgot them as I still collect older copies of these books.

If we are talking picture books then Wacky Wednesday and Fox in Socks would be on the top. I still have my copies of these and Fox in Socks is falling apart! :tongue_smilie:

I wish I could remember the name of this book so I could get it--from how I remember it,it was a book about egyptology LOL and if I couldn't understand it,I would make mom read it to me (same with nancy drew LOL)----I have a book I had when i was a baby called MOONEY MOUSE--it's literally falling apart. I wish I could find where to buy another one......

generally I can tell age range of person doing the answering based on their books. perhaps mine will be no different.

Black stallion series

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (I remember LOVING that one)

Nancy Drew Series

Hardy Boys Series

All the books about dogs and animals in general

And my first adult book read in the 6th grade was the East of Eden, Travels with Charlie and Tortilla Flats all Steinbeck books. He was from Salinas and as a fellow townsperson I felt connected to his writing.

Mr Pine's Purple House I loved this book as a kid. Mr. Pine wants his house to look different than all the others, so he makes changes, but the neighbors all copy his ideas. My sister bought it and gave it to me a couple of years ago. I enjoyed reading it with my kids.

Harold and the Purple Crayon I loved these stories, too. Can you tell I liked purple as a child?

Where the Red Fern Grows was my favorite first novels. My 5th grade teacher read it to us aloud, and I bawled when the dogs died.

My favorite novel in my later teens was Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier.

My absolute favorite story was "Small One". It was a read along on LP that I had and listened to over and over and over. I actually bought a copy and found out it had been changed, so I hunted down a copy of it on LP even though I don't have a record player.

Other than that:

The Hobbit and LOTR

Little Women, Little Men, and Jo's Boys