Menu

Resigning Myself

This is going to sound odd.

Ever since finding out we were expecting, a csection has been looming over my head. I had a csection w/my first, but all the rest have been VBAC.

I honestly don't know *why* its been such a concern...well, I guess I do, since it will complicate the heck out of RSD, but...

Here's the thing.

Baby keeps flipping btwn head down and transverse. From the time of the u/s yesterday, and exam by the OB, he went from transverse to head down. Not engaged, just head down.

The last 3 u/s I've had have shown the cord in front of his neck/chin. And it doesn't move.

The OB, when talking of turning the baby (before he discovered baby was head down again) warned me that the cord appeared to be across the neck, possibly wrapped...and if that was the case, turning would not happen.

The more I think about it, the more I'm becoming convinced that the cord is around the neck...which, to me, would explain why he keeps flipping transverse when all my other kidlets were head down and stayed that way by now (38 wks tomorrow).

I see my OB on Wed. I'm going to be asking to be sent to the clinic to see if they can determine what's up with the cord. If I'm going to end up with a section, I'd rather just get it over with, then be in labour for hours and rushed into one.

Emotionally, I'm becoming resigned to this. I don't *want* one, but at the same time, am starting to feel its unavoidable.

Really hoping I'm wrong though.

:grouphug:

I understand how that goes. My first was an "emergency" c-section after getting induced and being in labor for 13 hours. For my second, I planned and I planned for a VBAC. I drove 3 hours one way to see an OB that was VBAC friendly for 6 months of my pregnancy. I did Hypnobabies and practiced every day. I did hours and hours of research. When I was 41 weeks 2 days, we did an ultrasound and long story short, I had to have another c-section. The planned aspect of it is so much better than the emergency one, and I recovered quicker.

I'm sorry that you are faced with that, but I hope you can find peace with whatever you choose to do.

:grouphug: I had one like this. She never really completely engaged because she was so wrapped up in the cord. We tried to induce, and she stuck her hand up over her head out of the cervix with the cord in it, prolapsing it. they tried to push it all back in, but they got the hand and not the cord. The c-section after 12 weeks of bedrest wasn't fun (and this was my fourth baby, also), but the end result worked out. I wish we'd figured it out before, though, because labor (I'd decided to go unmedicated, and did well until they started trying to shove her hand and the cord back in) followed by a c-section, was probably worse than just the section would have been.

I know, it really stinks. I had complete placenta previa with Sylvia and everyone hoped that the placenta would move up to 32 weeks. Then I had a bad bleed, ended up in the hospital for a month, and had that C-section. Definitely not my hoped-for outcome, but hey - I got a gorgeous little girl out of it. :grouphug:

I totally agree!

:iagree:

DS15 was transverse from 36 weeks until his due date. We had a nice quiet planned c-section, easy recovery. No excitement.

DD10 was "supposed" to be a VBAC, but didn't get the memo. She was also transverse at her due date, so we planned another c-section. Unfortunately, the night before the surgery, I went into labor with my dear little transverse baby. Labor with a transverse is NO FUN! It ended up being a much more drama-filled emergency c-section where it took 3 big guys to wrestle her out. Much larger incision, much tougher recovery.

With little sideways babies, a nice quiet planned c-section is the way to go!

On a positive note, if baby is able to be doing flips in your tummy still - then it is unlikely that he is super big, right? If he was 10lbs, I don't think he would have room to be moving so much. :001_smile:

He's not flipping from head down to breech...he keeps moving so that his head is against my hip...and then when he is head down, it just moves those few inches over, but his butt is still sideways.

I really wonder if he *can* manage to fully get head down, or if the cord is preventing it.

We'll see what the OB says on Wed.

My second dd was always flipping around--never head down. Our plan was to have me go into the hospital and if she was head down (as seen on ultrasound), they would induce. If not, they would try to turn her and then induce. She was head down so they started pitocin. When the doctor checked on me an hour or two later, she was sideways! The doctor recommended a c-section due to the dangers of the cord coming out first. If you already have one disabled child at home, it's a no-brainer. Go with the c-section. Yeah, a longer recovery, but a healthy baby. And I only had one hour of minor labor!

Incidentally, I always thought she flipped around because she knew her head was too big to fit through the birth canal. She had the biggest head of my 3. I think she knew what she was doing.

I had an emergency c-section with my third when my fever spiked to 105. I was not prepared at all because I just assumed I would have a regular old vaginal labor like my other two. So when a c-section loomed I was panicked and horrified. However, for me, I recovered quicker and easier than I did with any of my vaginal. I know that it isn't the norm- but I felt a million times better post-partum. Maybe it was just that the third time around my body was getting the hang of it- but seriously I felt great.

If you do have to have a c-section, I will hope you have one like mine.

My second baby was transverse from 20 weeks until the night before she was born (via scheduled c-section @ 39 weeks). Oddly, I was especially afraid of cord issues during my entire pregnancy, but the doctors told me there was no way to know (via u/s) if the cord was around her neck.

It was. I'm glad I had a c-section, even though I wish it had not been necessary.

I'm not sure what RSD is (is it this?), but I'm sorry that a CS will complicate things. I hope you get some clarity and peace of mind on what needs to happen, and that baby's arrival brings only joy and celebration.

(I had something wrong with my shoulder & neck; it happened after I fell asleep without a pillow on a cross-country flight. I was in intense pain - not relieved by chiropractic care, acupuncture, or a plethora of pain medication - for three months until I was t-boned at a fairly high speed, during which my car was totaled. I was not only okay [so was the other driver], but the impact "fixed" my shoulder and neck problem. Bit expensive, considering that we had to buy a new car and all, but I understand how hard it is to deal with chronic pain, even if my experience only lasted three months.)

If it is any consolation, my 3rd was still moving from transverse to head down (but sunny side up) after my water broke, labor started and I was on pitocin.

He eventually was born vaginally after finally going head down and flipping over.

My DH said he wanted to figure out a way to spray paint in my uterus: THIS WAY OUT! HEAD DOWN! since all my babies were sunny side up.

Emotionally, I'm becoming resigned to this. I don't *want* one, but at the same time, am starting to feel its unavoidable.

We forget that although c-sections are overused now they were at one point a revolutionary procedure and have saved the lives of countless women and babies over the ages. They are, on the whole, a good tool to have in the birthing toolbox and there's nothing wrong with recognizing that you may require one.

:grouphug: You'll get through this and have a wonderful baby in the end.

We forget that although c-sections are overused now they were at one point a revolutionary procedure and have saved the lives of countless women and babies over the ages. They are, on the whole, a good tool to have in the birthing toolbox and there's nothing wrong with recognizing that you may require one.

:grouphug: You'll get through this and have a wonderful baby in the end.

I know. I do.

Its the RSD fall out afterwards that terrifies me. Totally and completely.

If it wasn't for the RSD, I would have told the OB to schedule a csection when he mentioned that the cord looked to be around the baby's neck yesterday...Wouldn't have thought twice about it...why risk the baby, kwim?

Size, I don't care. I had a 9 lb 1 oz baby VBAC. But the cord...

Its like I've been holding out hope for the easiest solution for the situation as a whole, and now I'm realizing that its time to give in.

I'm still scared to death of the aftermath, though.

This is going to sound odd.

Ever since finding out we were expecting, a csection has been looming over my head. I had a csection w/my first, but all the rest have been VBAC.

I honestly don't know *why* its been such a concern...well, I guess I do, since it will complicate the heck out of RSD, but...

Here's the thing.

Baby keeps flipping btwn head down and transverse. From the time of the u/s yesterday, and exam by the OB, he went from transverse to head down. Not engaged, just head down.

The last 3 u/s I've had have shown the cord in front of his neck/chin. And it doesn't move.

The OB, when talking of turning the baby (before he discovered baby was head down again) warned me that the cord appeared to be across the neck, possibly wrapped...and if that was the case, turning would not happen.

The more I think about it, the more I'm becoming convinced that the cord is around the neck...which, to me, would explain why he keeps flipping transverse when all my other kidlets were head down and stayed that way by now (38 wks tomorrow).

I see my OB on Wed. I'm going to be asking to be sent to the clinic to see if they can determine what's up with the cord. If I'm going to end up with a section, I'd rather just get it over with, then be in labour for hours and rushed into one.

Really hoping I'm wrong though.

My first was a c/s will 3 VBAC's following. I know how you feel - minus the RSD. :grouphug: Whatever decision you make will be the right one. There will be risks either way.

Just a question - is a c/s the usual recommendation for a wrapped cord? My last baby had the cord wrapped around (we didn't know until right before delivery) - my OB had to cut it before his head could come out. It was the worst delivery of them all - even my nightmare emergency c/s. It was scary but everything turned out just fine.

Hmm.... Cord around the neck is very common and almost never a problem. The only time it's an issue is if the baby is wrapped up in a way that prevents him/her from descending. In that case, you figure it out because the baby doesn't descend despite mama being upright and mobile. A dangerous cord positioning problem is when the cord is between the baby's head and the cervix because it can prolapse and get pinched between the head and the pelvis.

So, if I were in your shoes I would at least wait and see if baby boy engages. If he does, a cord prolapse is very unlikely. It seems like the risks of c-section in your situation are higher than usual due to your medical condition, so it would be prudent to wait and make sure it's really necessary for your baby's safety. If your mama instincts are screaming that c-section is the safer option, listen to them, but the information you've given doesn't indicate an obvious need at this point. :grouphug:

I just wanted to comment about the chord issue. Both my children were born with the chords wrapped around their necks, my son twice. They had to push his head back in twice to get the chord from around his neck. To be honest it was scary. I didn't get to hold either one right away, they were both put on oxygen and with my son I was on oxygen to try to help him make it. So the chord can be a serious issue. I know children are born with this commonly and both of my children are perfectly normal, no problems with brain damage or anything like that. But, I agree with the others, follow your momma bear instincts.

BTW, I'm being faced with a c-section this time around and it is scary. Mines because of my unexpected high-risk status this times around, but they're already warning me that it will be c-section when the time comes, and I'm only at 13 weeks. Hang in there and the pray for the Lord's direction. He gives us wisdom when we ask.

one of mine had the cord wrapped around his head twice. It wasn't discovered until after his head was out. The doctor cut the cord and told me to push quick. He was fine. another one had the cord around once, the doctor shifted it over one sholder as the baby was born. He was fine

having said that, I know someone who's baby had a bad outcome.

• 2 months later...

I am praying for you:grouphug:

I had an emergency c-section with ds9, my midwife told me that I was not going to be a good candidate for a VBac ever. It was hard accepting that. Especially as recovery was horrible. I still have a place along that incision that is totally numb. It took 2 years before I could just flop backwards on the bed.

I had a planned with dd4. It was great! I was walking with my in laws around some flat gardens 2 weeks after and driving the car 4 weeks after (My test is doing an emergency stop with no pain) It is a totally different birthing experience than an emergency c-section.

I am all for natural birth, I was going to try without drugs with ds. Listen to your instincts, ask your doctor. A planned c-section is so much better than an emergency one after labor.

Nicole