Menu

Put in an application for a cheaper rental and some possible good news on healthcare.

1. I looked for a rental home today. Out of 9 MLS listings, an agent found 3 willing to work with our situation. I looked at 2 of them, and the 3rd was further way and didn't offer anything to justify the further away. The first would have been acceptable, but the 2nd was very nice. It's a huge jump down in size and neighborhood. This is intentional to save money while we figure out this health thing. The leasing agent suggested 4x rent, which includes first and last month, a deposit and a pet deposit. I'll see if I can come up with it. I applied, wrote a letter explaining how we got "here", and pulled our credit reports. Still tanked, but actually not as bad as I thought. :lol: We should here back Monday. It's a tiny 3 bedroom with den, decent fence for the dogs, new counters and appliances.

2. A referral from this board may turn into something very helpful. A local hospital has a liver clinic and they do some pro-bono work. The private dr's don't, but the hospital does. It's been suggested that I take Adrian there next time he has an episode. It's in the medical center, and he's not exactly, um, cooperative when he's like that. I am going to have someone "on call" to assist me. Adrian suggested when he gets like that for me to "be nice" and "try to seduce" him. ;) I told him he's not exactly attractive at those times. :tongue_smilie: We've had some whacked out moments.

So, possible good news. The move would save $450 in rent and probably close to 200 in gas. Not to mention allow us to access the "gold card" for health care.

I have an appointment for Social Security Income on Tuesday. I don't know if child support for kids who are not Adrian's will count. :confused:

:grouphug: this is very hopeful news. i am amazed that you can still function at all, never mind this well!

in the middle of the night last night, i wondered what would happen if you went before a judge and asked that they suspend child support effective immediately, for the period of a year, with a one year extension possible, explaining the whole situation..... it would be better than cancelling it, but i'm not at all sure of the ramifications long term. it would drop your income enough to qualify for medicaid/medicare, wouldn't it?

the other idea was that most counties have medical social workers who specialize in finding funding. when we ran the health clinic for uninsured people, we had more "funding finders" than medical staff, but they almost always managed to find a way forward..... i think most would see you if you just ask to see them at the local county hospital.....

i am trying to remember how old your dh is, but if he's over 50, then AARP offers help finding medical care.

then there is this and how it applies in texas.

http://www.healthcare.gov/law/features/choices/pre-existing-condition-insurance-plan/tx.html

there are lots of copays, but the last line says that

Your out-of-pocket costs cannot be more than $5,950 per year, which i thought was hopeful...

the premiums are steep, but the change in rental and gas might just about cover them!

i wake up most nights thinking about you and how truly awful it is, and how strong you are.....

sending virtual tea and chocolate,

ann

1. I looked for a rental home today. Out of 9 MLS listings, an agent found 3 willing to work with our situation. I looked at 2 of them, and the 3rd was further way and didn't offer anything to justify the further away. The first would have been acceptable, but the 2nd was very nice. It's a huge jump down in size and neighborhood. This is intentional to save money while we figure out this health thing. The leasing agent suggested 4x rent, which includes first and last month, a deposit and a pet deposit. I'll see if I can come up with it. I applied, wrote a letter explaining how we got "here", and pulled our credit reports. Still tanked, but actually not as bad as I thought. :lol: We should here back Monday. It's a tiny 3 bedroom with den, decent fence for the dogs, new counters and appliances.

2. A referral from this board may turn into something very helpful. A local hospital has a liver clinic and they do some pro-bono work. The private dr's don't, but the hospital does. It's been suggested that I take Adrian there next time he has an episode. It's in the medical center, and he's not exactly, um, cooperative when he's like that. I am going to have someone "on call" to assist me. Adrian suggested when he gets like that for me to "be nice" and "try to seduce" him. ;) I told him he's not exactly attractive at those times. :tongue_smilie: We've had some whacked out moments.

So, possible good news. The move would save $450 in rent and probably close to 200 in gas. Not to mention allow us to access the "gold card" for health care.

I have an appointment for Social Security Income on Tuesday. I don't know if child support for kids who are not Adrian's will count. :confused:

Joanne, I have every intention of nagging God (oops, I mean praying fervently) about this.

:grouphug::grouphug: Faith