Menu

Would you really?

If you went to someone's door at 10am, the kids answered, told you mom would be down, and mom shows up at the door with a thrown on skirt, her husband's shirt, no brassiere, and messed up hair....obviously tired and not wanting to talk.....

Would you stand there still trying your sales pitch on her (in this case they wanted to "offer comfort" to people of "all religions", they agreed that I don't believe as they do, but they said they would be back.....).

I got to bed at 5am this morning. It's ten and I was trying to nurse an antsy baby back to sleep (and I told them this!). No, they proceeded to ask how old the baby is and how wonderful it is and how many children do I have......

How do I politely tell them next time that I'm too busy and not interested? (obviously not LDS, as I think those boys would have seriously backed off and run for the hills at my appearance and obvious need to not be bothered :lol: )

"I'm not interested." with a smile and shut the door. I have found that if I try to be nice it gives them an "in" to offer to either come back or to keep talking.

I have no qualms being slightly rude to someone I don't know who is interupting my schedule by coming to my home uninvited.

I am afraid that the onus is on you to control the situation. You say, "sorry, I don't have time for this right now," and you just shut the door.

:iagree: At a time when I've been frazzled with children (and I only have two), I "politely" interrupted them and said "I'm sorry, I'm really busy right now." But yes, if an adult comes to the door, all the salespeople or church people that I've seen will continue with their spiel, no matter how frazzled the adult looks. We've stopped answering the door. I don't care if they know we are home or not. Actually, I'm contemplating putting a sign by the door bell.

Don't have anyone answer the door! That's what I do sometimes. :)

Oh believe me, we talked about that. They aren't supposed to answer the door. I didn't know who they were at first, reason I didn't shut the door right away. In fact, my habit is to step outside to talk to people, because of nosey children.

I am afraid that the onus is on you to control the situation. You say, "sorry, I don't have time for this right now," and you just shut the door.

Yes. This.

You don't have to engage with people coming to your door to sell to you whether they are selling door-to-door meat or religion. A firm "No, Thanks" and close the door.

:iagree: At a time when I've been frazzled with children (and I only have two), I "politely" interrupted them and said "I'm sorry, I'm really busy right now." But yes, if an adult comes to the door, all the salespeople or church people that I've seen will continue with their spiel, no matter how frazzled the adult looks. We've stopped answering the door. I don't care if they know we are home or not. Actually, I'm contemplating putting a sign by the door bell.

I think I'll do this. I'll put a no soliciting sign out.

When you aren't so overwhelmed (I know that might actually be the year 2045) practice gently closing the door in someone's face with the words, 'No, thank you."

Use your kids they will think it is a hoot.

:lol: I was just completely off guard. I hate that. Raised in the military, I was taught that you ALWAYS answer the phone and the door (because you never know what emergency it might be). Sigh. I hate to be mean, but I just don't have time for it.

The no soliciting sign doesn't keep the religion peddlers away. :glare: I've had one for years. And they always tell me they aren't selling anything. I'm about to include the definition under the sign.

Unless I'm expecting someone, I won't even answer the door unless it's convenient for me. If I were in bed, or in your situation, I would have told the kids not to answer the door, and I certainly wouldn't have come down to see what the person wanted.

I was on the second floor. I didn't hear the door. The kids didn't ask :glare:

Get a 95 pound extra-tall black lab that likes to put his front feet up on the lowish window ledge (thereby looking ridiculously gigantic) while he barks like a goober every time the doorbell is rung.... I've had several people just turn & walk away on their own without a pause!! :D :D

I want a great pyr...I think that would scare everyone away...

Oh, and I thought telling them that I was trying to nurse my baby to sleep was a big HINT.

There was a guy trying to "clean the air" in my home "for FREE" one day. He wouldn't stop talking, so I just shut the door. I am sorry, but I don't feel a compunction to be polite to people invading my private space and time with a sales pitch and who ignore it when I say no.

I had a pair of ladies show up at the door one morning long ago. I was 4 days post-partum and looked like something the cat dragged in, DS was turning orange from jaundice and screaming at the time. I opened the door because I was hoping it was my sister coming to rescue me.

The ladies wanted to talk to me about donating to help with "world overpopulation" :lol:. I almost handed them the screaming baby!

Honey, the truth is that you need to teach your children not to open the door. Do whatever it takes to make them understand that THEY MAY NOT OPEN THE DOOR. Only you (the adult in the house, the hostess, the homeowner) get to do that (and they don't get to crowd around you while you talk to whoever is there, either). What if that had been a truant officer? (paranoid, it's true, but I know people who had that exact experience!) Or some other crazy person?

But yeah, that was a stupid salesman. Sheesh.

And :grouphug: for sleep-deprived mommies with antsy babies.

I had a pair of ladies show up at the door one morning long ago. I was 4 days post-partum and looked like something the cat dragged in, DS was turning orange from jaundice and screaming at the time. I opened the door because I was hoping it was my sister coming to rescue me.

The ladies wanted to talk to me about donating to help with "world overpopulation" :lol:. I almost handed them the screaming baby!

:001_huh::glare::lol:

If you went to someone's door at 10am, the kids answered, told you mom would be down, and mom shows up at the door with a thrown on skirt, her husband's shirt, no brassiere, and messed up hair....obviously tired and not wanting to talk.....

Would you stand there still trying your sales pitch on her (in this case they wanted to "offer comfort" to people of "all religions", they agreed that I don't believe as they do, but they said they would be back.....).

I got to bed at 5am this morning. It's ten and I was trying to nurse an antsy baby back to sleep (and I told them this!). No, they proceeded to ask how old the baby is and how wonderful it is and how many children do I have......

How do I politely tell them next time that I'm too busy and not interested? (obviously not LDS, as I think those boys would have seriously backed off and run for the hills at my appearance and obvious need to not be bothered :lol: )

UGH. I would not have answered the door, or allowed the kids to. It's not polite I guess, so that doesn't really answer your question, but I don't answer the door in those kinds of situations. I wouldn't have stopped what I was doing if the phone had been ringing, and I just don't see this as different.

ETA: Sorry! I see now that you didn't realize the kids were opening the door. In that case, I vote for "Sorry, I'm REALLY busy." Close the door. Then tell the kids the next time they open the door without permission, you're selling them to whoever's on the other side. Okay, okay, not really. But I'd want to. :D

:grouphug: Hope you get some rest!

Edited by MelissaMinNC

I had that happen the day I brought our dog Libby home from the doggie ER. I told them I was busy and made the mistake of telling them why. They came back two more times (different days) to ask me how my disabled dog was doing. (Concern would have been welcomed from someone who knows me and I know really cared but I felt like it was a way to get me to invite them in. I didn't.)

"I'm not interested." with a smile and shut the door. I have found that if I try to be nice it gives them an "in" to offer to either come back or to keep talking.

I have no qualms being slightly rude to someone I don't know who is interupting my schedule by coming to my home uninvited.

:iagree:I used to feel like it was rude to interrupt a salesperson, but I realized usually let them drone on to the point where I really was rude when I stopped the spiel. It's better to just be honest in the first place!

If its someone peddling "faith", they don't get in the door and my answer is "I'm happy with my faith choices right now, thank you". If they are asking for donations, "We've made our donation decisions for this year, thank you". If they are selling something, "We have what we need right now, thank you"

and then close the door

And tell the kids to stop answering it!

No thanks, not interested, and this isn't a good time anyway. then close the door. You do not have to wait for them to acquiesce with your disinterest. You do not have to tell them when a better time would be. (I had one 'religious salesman', (not LDS), stick his foot in my door to keep me from closing it.)

The religious types do not consider what they are doing to be soliciting, so that would not help.

:iagree:

The no soliciting sign doesn't keep the religion peddlers away. :glare: I've had one for years. And they always tell me they aren't selling anything. I'm about to include the definition under the sign.

:iagree:

I put up a sign *right below* the doorbell and still had people ring the bell. I got the "I'm not selling anything" remark when I pointed to my 'No Soliciting" sign.

So, I made one on the computer. Large, pretty font and regular black color. It read "No Salesmen or Religious Solicitation". While I did see some people stop and read it, then leave, others simply reached for the bell (not paying attention, I think). Usually when I pointed out the sign, they looked surprised and left. Sometimes, they would just start their pitch because, hey, I had the door open. My response when they started in was to shoot them an incredulous look and shut the door.

For the most part, my homemade sign worked great. In fact, I'm about to make another one (different house).

*Note, if you want girl scouts, etc, make sure you allow for "neighborhood kids" because my sign kept them away. We were happy with that, but I know many people like the stuff kids sell.

Like this. "Excuse me. I don't have time for this. I do not feel well, I have a hungry baby, and my morning is booked. I've made the subtle overtures that indicate I cannot talk now, but since you are not taking those hints, I am now asking you to leave. Since we are not of compatible faiths, please do not return. Most of my days are like this one."

Smile and then shut the door.

It took me a while to get the courage to put my big girl panties on and send everyone but the UPS and FedEx guys running for the hills (these boys know they are my favorites because they deliver books and geeky science gadgets to my house so they get cookies and treats). However, three baby boys in three and half years taught me that since I spent 50% of my day nursing someone and the other 50% chasing someone while the other 50% was spent homeschoolling our daughter (yep, in my universe, things just don't add up to normal time constraints), I needed to get serious with people who can't take a hint and leave graciously.

:001_smile: Faith

Girl, nobody answers the door when momma's nursing a baby, or taking a shower. Just sayin'

Close the blinds kids, pretend we're not home. :D

Well, I told the last one that my pantheon was currently full, but if I had an opening, I'd take their deity under consideration----then shut the door. As I was shutting it, I heard, "Pantheon?" I answered, "Yes, pantheon," then finished closing the door. I don't think that group's come back ;).

For sales: "No, thank you, we're not interested" as I shut the door.

For phone solicitation: "I'm sorry, we don't respond to any form of phone solicitation" then hang up. If they can find my phone number, they can get my address and spend their funds on mailing to me if they want to reach me badly enough.

Well, I told the last one that my pantheon was currently full, but if I had an opening, I'd take their deity under consideration----then shut the door. As I was shutting it, I heard, "Pantheon?" I answered, "Yes, pantheon," then finished closing the door. I don't think that group's come back ;).

:lol:

:lol:When I was an LDS missionary, one of my fellow LDS missionaries, a swiss gal, told me that before she converted, she always opened the door topless. It worked every time. (The missionaries who eventually taught her met her at dinner at her mom's. Her mom converted a couple of years before she did.)

My neighbor has a sign (a piece of paper in a page protector) *at ~eye level* that warns, in big letters, that she will open the door and let her guard dog loose if any person not previously invited rings the doorbell or knocks on the door.

She doesn't have a guard dog (both of her dogs are friendly!), but they do bark. She says the sign works. The problem is, it's kinda ugly.

My children know not to answer the door, but...we were expecting a friend one morning, and when the doorbell rang, they answered the door to a DTD salesperson (selling encyclopedias). After telling her that I was not interested and having her continue her sales pitch, I did finally tell her that between our own extensive book collection, and our good buddy the internet, we didn't need anything she was selling. And then, yes, I closed the door.

(Also, I have two great pyrs. I'm so glad dh installed a glass storm door - my pyrs can be pretty intimidating, especially together, so when someone rings the doorbell, I can open the front door just enough so that pyr 1 or pyr 2 makes their presence known. Scared the heck of my neighbor the night he came over at 11 pm to warn us that he'd been robbed!)

I live across the street from people who peddle their religion door to door. They sent people over to my house EVERY MONTH for the first three years we lived here. I kept saying "No thanks" and shutting the door. Finally I got fed up and literally SCREAMED at them to go away. Ya hate to do something like that to people who live across the street, but holy Moses! I felt bad, but it worked - they haven't come around for nine years - and they've been much better neighbors overall after that, go figure!! :D

(I had one 'religious salesman', (not LDS), stick his foot in my door to keep me from closing it.)

Oh man, I would so go off if anyone did that to me. Woo.

Some guy, a religious "salesman" of some variety approached my house one day. We live in the woods, up a long driveway. I don't like strange men approaching the house. None of our neighbors can see us. When he was fairly far away, I went on the porch to ask what he wanted. He heard me and didn't answer me. I asked again. Still no answer. I then yelled, "STOP!" and told him to leave the property. he tried to start his spiel and I told him to leave. He then got mad. Tough. You're a man coming to my isloated home and you won't tell me what you want and you get mad when I order you off the property? He left though. ( A policeman once told me that you have to tell someone "Stop!" to later charge them with trespassing if they keep coming.)

Guest IdahoMtnMom

I have NEVER met a rude LDS at my door. However, I did have a bad time with some 7th Day Adventist ladies awhile back. They were overtly pushy and it was annoying. I have many 7th Day friends so I am sure it was the women and not the religion. But it got to the point, I would see them on my street and lock my doors and pull the blinds!!!