Menu

Is this a boring gift for kids?

On DH's side of the family there are lots of cousins. We usually see them at Christmas time so we like to bring a little something. Their ages/genders are approx....

newborn twin girls

3 year old girl

4 year old girl

4 year old boy

5 year old boy

6 year old boy

8 year old boy

9 year old boy

11 year old girl

11 year old girl

13 year old girl

I thought about getting the kids, ages 5 and up, some personalized pencils and put them in a little pencil box and adding some candy in there. Since all of them attend school, then I thought they may be able to use them at school. Is this a boring gift for a kid? I'm wondering if I should think of something else. It just can't be too expensive. It's hard to find inexpensive things for a group of kids.

But then again, by the time I buy the pencils, the box, and some candy, that's getting a bit expensive. I'm not sure what else to do.

I would like to cast my vote in the Boring column. :D

I think it's a cute idea, but as more of a back-to-school thing, or as a stocking stuffer, but not really as a stand-alone gift, especially because as you said, it won't be cheap to buy the pencils, the pencil boxes, and the candy, and then wrap it up nicely. I think you could do something that looks more impressive for the same total cost.

What is your budget per child?

I would like to cast my vote in the Boring column. :D

I think it's a cute idea, but as more of a back-to-school thing, or as a stocking stuffer, but not really as a stand-alone gift, especially because as you said, it won't be cheap to buy the pencils, the pencil boxes, and the candy, and then wrap it up nicely. I think you could do something that looks more impressive for the same total cost.

What is your budget per child?

I'd absolutely love to stick with about $3 or $4 per child....but I'm not sure that's feasible because I don't want to just give junk. I guess the max is about $5 or $6.

I got personalized pencils once if you do just do first names. Nobody needs to know middle names in this day and age.

Maybe get scented pencils.

Or colored pencils or markers

How about combining siblings and getting them a certificate to something like netflix, local cheap movie chain, or redbox and some microwave popcorn.

PS my 4 year old would be thrilled with a sharpened pencil with his name on it.

He loves anything with his name on it and has recently been grabbing at my pencils and starting to "write" with them.

These are really cool colored pencils ($12 for 2): http://www.amazon.com/Colored-12-Packs-Wildlife-Recycled-Newspaper/dp/B003U46Q1U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1319055012&sr=8-2

Not personalized, but these are fun twin packs. 5 for $9 http://www.amazon.com/Jungle-Pencil-OBON-Touch-School/dp/B0040L1FZ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319055012&sr=8-1

I asked my 3 kids (DD13, DS10 and DD8) and they all said they'd like to receive the pencils and candy as a gift.

You could find out what their favorite candies are before you filled the bag and if you had any money left in the budget you could put McDonald's coupons in the pencil holder, too. They sell them around Christmas.

ETA: The Dollar Tree sells pencil sharpeners shaped like piranhas....2/$1

Party City sells lots of neat loose candy. You could get a lot of variety that way.

Edited by Trresh

What about a magazine subscription to Highlights or National Geographic Kids or something similar. One subscription per family. The kids might not be thrilled at first, but each month they will appreciate it. I, as a parent, would love a gift like this for my kids.

I agree! Mamapedia recently had some great kids mags for a $10 subscription. Someone also posted earlier today about a ZooBooks deal today on Zulily. $15, I think. One subscription per family would be awesome!

I also like the movie idea.

Or what about an inexpensive family board game as one joint gift per family? I know games go on sale around the holidays. Puzzles would work in this case, too.

A set of shrinky dinks per family? My cousins and I always enjoyed working on those together.

Have you ever looked at Oriental Trading? There stuff comes in lots of 12 or more and the prices are usually very reasonable.

Oh, that's another good idea! One of our most favorite gifts came from there - a little wooden nativity set - the stable was a storage box (roof was the lid) when not in use. We LOVE pulling it out each year and smile thinking about our friends. Not a pricey gift at all, but it brings us joy every year.

Buy a box of ornaments and personalize an ornament in some way for each child?

I've always love giving and receiving books, too. Maybe Amazon has some 4 for 3 deals going on? I know this could be difficult if you don't know what each family already has, prefers, or allows, though.

To expand on the movie idea - a family Christmas movie wrapped up with a box or jar of popcorn . . .

You are putting me in a Christmas spirit now! Thank you!!! : )

Edited by kimmie38017

How about a craft kit? I just found a bunch of Crayola crafts at Target today regularly $14.98 on sale for $2.48-$3.47. I bought a bunch for Christmas gifts.

We love Nerft guns here. You can often find small ones on sale for less than $5.

Edited by Jaz

I don't think there's anything wrong with just giving junk. :D

A that price level, I think you'll make everyone happier if you give a little bag of dollar store stuff that will be enjoyed then forgotten within a week. There's sort of something to be said for tiny bouncy balls, squeeze rockets, dollar activity books, wind up robots and the like.

I think it's a gift that is not necessarily likely to inspire "Oohs" and "Aahs" when they open it but that they will enjoy and appreciate when they start using it. The other kids will probably think they are cool.

My stepmom once gave me a beautiful wooden clipboard for my birthday. I was kinda like, "Huh?" when I opened it, but it has been one of the most useful gifts I've ever received.

Tara

Last year I wrapped a candy bar & $2 bill. They loved it.

Ya know, that's a good idea. I can get giant hershey bars for under $2 each and sometimes WalGreens will even run a special on them. I could wrap it up and pop a bow on the top....maybe even find a cute Target dollar spot item to go with it. That may be the easy way to go!

Ya know, that's a good idea. I can get giant hershey bars for under $2 each and sometimes WalGreens will even run a special on them. I could wrap it up and pop a bow on the top....maybe even find a cute Target dollar spot item to go with it. That may be the easy way to go!

Call your bank or credit union ahead of time. For some reason my bank only keeps so many $2 bills on hand and I had to run around town looking for them.

I love the origami idea!

What about a small Playmobil set for each kid? The ones with just a figure or two are in your price range. They sell them at Target and sometimes go on clearance or on sale. You could also do a set per family, but with the age range that might not be practical (unless some families have all small or all bigger kids).

This was my go to gift before gift cards for tweens. A giant candy bar and cash. Can't get much better than that!

DD12 and her friends love Squishy Belly Penguins from TJs.

Origami penguin

My kids would like the candy bar more than the pencils. The personalized pencils we received one year were difficult to write with and ended up in the trash.

I was planning to suggest a food item too. My girls (10 & 7) would also love a cookie or rice krispie treat that was oversized. You could make a big batch of Rice Krispie treats decorated with the holiday mini M&Ms, and cut them into huge slices. Of course, a candy bar would be easier. ;)

I asked my kids if they would like the personalized pencils and candy in a pencil box and if that would be a good gift. Here are the results:

dd, 10 - made a face like, Not really

ds, 8, "I think that is nice" :) (he's really appreciative of anything that you say is a gift, though. He was thrilled to get underwear for Christmas one year because they were "Just for ME!" LOL)

ds, 7, "How about just some candy?!"

I'm thinking of giving these as stocking stuffers/small gifts for my Lego maniac extended family.

Lego has put out 5 series of these minifigures, about $3 each @ WM or Toys R Us.

http://minifigures.lego.com/en-gb/Bios/Default.aspx

It's like a Lottery--you don't know which one of the 16 you're buying. Only one of them comes in pink. :tongue_smilie:

My boys will each buy one, and then good-naturedly trade and swap out (even with other friends).

ALSO, the Rainbow Resource Christmas Catalog arrived in my mailbox today!

I prefer to plan fun activities rather than giving presents. Extended family get-togethers usually mean some seriously boring times for the Littles with grown-ups catching up and usually being in an elderly person's house (read: DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING).

Instead of gaggle of cheap gifts that their mothers will inevitably throw away when she finds them on the floor of the minivan in January, why not plan a fun activity or two that will build memories instead? One year I baked up gingerbread houses and we spent an evening decorating gingerbread houses together (Candy for decorations is expensive! Use your gift budget for that!). Another year I bought a bunch of Red Heart yarn and some knitting needles and taught a bunch of Littles how to knit (bonus of keeping them busy...even on the long car rides home).

I love the candy bar/$2 bill idea! I'll have to remember that one. I also think going the "group gift" route is a good one. That's what we did last year for my brother's children. We got one of the holiday popcorn tins (the kind that Wal-Mart sells with the three flavors of popcorn inside) and put a movie with it. Oh, and we also got each of them one of the holiday editions of sprite or coke (they're in the shape of an ornament), and also usually at Wal-Mart. So, they had the snack, drink, and movie - everything for a great movie night. (I like themed gifts :001_smile:)