Menu

I feel a need to get this off my chest. Re: Whining Moms

I got a notice from HSLDA that Subway has now apologized for offending homeschoolers in their recent promotion. They're going to have another promotion soon that will include homeschoolers. That's nice.

But, I feel that it shouldn't have been necessary for them to apologize. I don't believe that they had anything to apologize for. I feel that all the hullabulloo over this little contest has given homeschoolers a bad rep. It's reminded me of the time my daughter got invited to a girl's birthday party, and my little boy whined because he wasn't invited, too. He didn't understand that it was a private party, and the hosts could invite, or exclude, anyone they chose. I was able to explain to him that it was a girls' party, and eventually he got it. I gave him some leeway for his outburst, and some ice cream. He was only 4 years old, after all.

But, I don't understand why the adults in this most recent scenario couldn't "get it". This was a contest put on by private companies. It was designed for school children to be able to do something nice for their friends at school. It wasn't designed to be the writing competition to end all writing competitions. It wasn't meant to prove once and for all who was the best writer in the country. It was a promotion for fitness, and a reason for parents to get involved in their kids' education. And, if it got people to buy a few more sandwiches or a couple more books, then all the better.

If anything, excluding homeschoolers was a compliment! It meant that somewhere, in some conference room, someone probably said, "You know, a homeschooler may just win this thing, and then what are we going to do?"

So, they made a quick decision to just exclude homeschoolers.

They didn't realize that many homeschoolers were a bunch of whiners. I imagine that, if they had originally set up the contest to include homeschoolers, but made the contingency that the winners had to give their prizes away, there would have been an uproar! What? My kid is the best writer in the country, and you want him to give his well-deserved prize to the local public school!?!?! Outrageous! Well, I never!

Okay, I'm donning my tomato-proof suit.

Anyone dare to join me?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a notice from HSLDA that Subway has now apologized for offending homeschoolers in their recent promotion. They're going to have another promotion soon that will include homeschoolers. That's nice.

<snip for length>

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Agreed! I even wrote Subway earlier this week and told them so. I also told them had we been included and miracuously won, I would have been thrilled to win the prize for the local public school. After all, it's the school all my neighbors' kids go to and it's funded by my tax dollars. If the school has excellent facilities, then all the better for my neighborhood kids and all the better for my property values. I think it's great that of all the different charitable things they could have done, they chose fitness equipment for schools. At least they're promoting health and fitness to children. It's a lot more than I can say for other "fast food" restaurants. We really appreciate Subway's efforts in this regard.

Oh, I so agree!

And, as an aside, I really dislike that whole "forced apology" thing. It irks me when politicians do it, it irks me when celebrities do it, it irks me when companies do it. If you're not sorry, don't pretend to be. Stand by what you did or said and don't back down just to please others.:rant:

You know at first, I felt offended about the "no homeschoolers" statement, but after a few here pointed out about the prize money that would be allotted schools, I no longer felt discriminated against. I'm all for protecting my homeschool rights, but I do feel that a company should have a right to offer a contest to just public schoolers. I have no problem with that. I was rather surprised that American Family Association and the Homeschool Legal Defense Association both got involved. It does concern me how it makes homeschoolers look, yet at the same time, I hope it makes a statement to those that will try to take away our legal rights.

Suzanne,

I think you have a solution right in your post...treat the whiners like 4 year olds! :lol: And then give them some ice cream.

IMO: Homeschoolers have been excluded in the past, at times unfairly. Now some homeschoolers overreact to being excluded without necessarily thinking about whether the situation warrants a reaction.

:iagree:

Some of my dc go to ps and if we had won I would've given their school the prize. There are too many other important issues to deal with regarding hsing, say that it's illegal to hs in CA or that parents like me are being required to show hsing information to gov't authorities just so I can get my SSI check. This just burns me up.

that I dislike the characterization of people who don't agree and who write letters saying so as, "whining." To me, they have a right to air their views as patrons (and often stockholders) of the company, even though I might not agree with their stance.

I agree. I didn't write any letters, but I did think it was OK for other moms to do so, and I do think it was OK for Subway/Scholastic to say they'd consider homeschoolers in the future when they host a contest. I don't think the moms who wrote were whiners, and I don't think the company was spineless to respond as they did. It's a pretty broad and somewhat ugly characterization to call them such. I guess I'm clearly in the minority here... hope I don't get knocked too badly for it.

Dh and I had this exact conversation. I could careless if homeschoolers were excluded. Corporations don't "owe" homeschoolers the "right" to participate, especially when you consider the prize. Contests have limits all the time. If only high schoolers can enter, should middle schoolers protest?? Jeepers, drives me crazy.

The only positive I see out of it is the perceived influence of homeschoolers. When I think about how they would have responded by in 93 or 94.....wow, we have come a long way!!

Absolutely. I think it would be kinda unfair to allow a homeschooler to enter and possibly win the contest for their school. $5,000 for sports equipment for a family of 6? Nice, but a bit excessive, especially when it could help hundreds of kids to have the essentials. They could have made it a stipulation that if a homeschooler won they would have to donate the prize to a public or private school or a charity, but they certainly didn't have to.

And can I just add that it really bothers me to see homeschoolers use their teacher discounts at Borders or Barnes and Noble for purchases which clearly are not for *school*? Ugh.:glare:

I agree. I didn't write any letters, but I did think it was OK for other moms to do so, and I do think it was OK for Subway/Scholastic to say they'd consider homeschoolers in the future when they host a contest. I don't think the moms who wrote were whiners, and I don't think the company was spineless to respond as they did. It's a pretty broad and somewhat ugly characterization to call them such. I guess I'm clearly in the minority here... hope I don't get knocked too badly for it.

I don't think the company was spineless in its response, either. I just think they're trying to smooth things over, and answered the complaints as honestly as they knew how. I mean, would it *really* have been better to have responded with "Sorry, folks, this is the way it is. If you don't like it, you can go pack sand"??

I don't necessarily think that everyone who wrote letters were whiners, but I've read some of the letters that have been circulating and THOSE particular letters sure did come across as whining to me. I think that anyone who honestly believes that their kid should have the right to compete for $5000 worth of exercise equipment for their backyard/in home/personal use in a contest developed to donate fitness equipment to a SCHOOL is being at best unreasonable, if not a little selfish.

The problem with this whole thing and the tendency to *appear* as whining (even if some weren't), is that homeschoolers are being painted with a broad brush. Unfortunate, but that's the way it is. Did HSLDA actually get involved and go to Subway to fight for our right to compete in contests like this? Goodness, I hope not.

This was a contest put on by private companies.

Actually, it was put on by *publically held" companies; companies subject to feedback from all their customers. Those families you consider whining were exercising their right to say "if you exclude my students due to their eductional setting, I will reconsider whether to bring my dollars to your company. Companies are, by the design of capitialism, allowed to create contests, promotions, etc. And the consumer is allowed, through the power of voice and dollar, to communicate.

It was designed for school children to be able to do something nice for their friends at school.

I'm a bit more cynical. It was designed, as I believe most seemingly "community minded" corporate endeavors, to satisfy the public's desire to see companies "give back". It's PR; not altruism.

It never occured to me that a *homeschool* would get the prize equipment, but I agreed with others that a local public school or park would be an appropriately chosen beneficiary.

All that said, I neither got irrate or even wrote to Subway (where I did frequent when I had that kind of discretionary food money).

I don't feel believe any company owes a particular group an apology for exclusion, outside of race or religion. It was a contest for heavens sake! They can deem whatever rules necessary. It's ironic that they were doing so to donate money for athletic equipment, as many schools can't afford it. Our local PTA has a budget so large that some small districts probably don't allot that money for all 'extras' (PE, arts, etc). Our local district certainly doesn't need it. But who am I to complain about a contest? I have bigger issues in life to conquer. Homeschool exclusion is not one of them. I CHOSE this life, so we reap whatever benefits that come with it, as well as any downsides.

I've reviewed collegiate scholarships and there are some funky ones: left-handed students, B- students from a particular high school, etc. Should all the right handed people complain that they aren't eligible for said scholarship? Probably not.

I frankly don't care who agrees or disregards homeschool. That's their issue and it doesn't matter one bit to me. There are other battles to conquer...

anyone want to tackle inflation and the national debt?;)

I don't feel that the "no homeschoolers" qualification gave hsing "a bad rap". I think most people wouldn't have thought anything about it. If they came away with a negative opinion of hsers just because Subway excluded them from their contest, then how valuable is their opinion anyhow?

There will always be people who think hsing is not "real" school and a slew of other unfounded things. It's not my job to persuade them otherwise.

I think whatever negative opinions of hsing were formed as a result of this Subway thing, it's because we contributed to them. :(

I agree with you. And honestly, it's another reason why homeschoolers in general are NOT my favorite group of people ;)

I feel that it was unfair for all those folks to write letters whining about the contest in the name of homeschooling. Now *I* will be associated with *those* people when I meet new folks who learn that we are homeschooling. I'll be asked questions about this, and my opinion of the fiasco, and I'll feel the need to clarify my thoughts on a subject I'd really rather not EVER need to talk about. We don't even eat at Subway, and we don't buy Scholastic books, but DH and I did go get a couple of subs the other night, pretty much because of all the "boycotters". Bleh (it was NOT a good sandwich either, LOL, which is why I won't be going back)

I think that's what she was saying, the we now have a bad rep in the public's eye, more so than we did before, because of all the people who wrote letters and emails and made phone calls and were on the news talking about it.

:iagree: "Homeschoolers" acted like every other special interest group has for the last 50-odd years. It's not like we had a great reputation to begin with, now we can be dismissed as just another victim group with manufactured grievances. :001_rolleyes:

Oh well...I generally don't care what the world thinks. If I did, I wouldn't live as I do.;)

But who am I to complain about people who wanted to see homeschoolers included? I also have bigger issues in life to conquer.

I'm really glad this came up because it shows that there ARE differences of opinion on this, and that we aren't all in lockstep. If someone from Subway's PR group googles "homeschool subway" just to feel our "pulse" (and I betcha they are doing so), hopefully they will be led to this message board where they will see that there is a variety of opinions on this issue, and that we're not all a bunch of "you better give me a chance to win that equipment or I'm never buying a sandwich from you again" types.

I agree with you. And honestly, it's another reason why homeschoolers in general are NOT my favorite group of people ;)

I feel that it was unfair for all those folks to write letters whining about the contest in the name of homeschooling. Now *I* will be associated with *those* people when I meet new folks who learn that we are homeschooling. I'll be asked questions about this, and my opinion of the fiasco, and I'll feel the need to clarify my thoughts on a subject I'd really rather not EVER need to talk about. We don't even eat at Subway, and we don't buy Scholastic books, but DH and I did go get a couple of subs the other night, pretty much because of all the "boycotters". Bleh (it was NOT a good sandwich either, LOL, which is why I won't be going back)

I hope you'll report back here when you come across a situation where you tell people that you homeschool and that they associate you with "THE SUBWAY INCIDENT OF 2008"

I would be willing to bet money that if you asked ANYONE that doesn't homeschool about this incident 6 months from now or 5 years from now that "THE SUBWAY INCIDENT OF 2008" will NOT be their first concern about you! I would guess socialization would still be number one.

Most people, unless they are on a homeschooling forum, blog, or list KNOW NOTHING about this. And further more I doubt they will care.

Imagine, meeting someone for the first time and then walking away to hear them mumble "hhehehehe, those homeschoolers, I bet they wanted to win this subway contest that wasn't open to them hahahaha and get this: subway apologized, kids, please stay away from that fundie, whacko, family whatever you do, hehehe"

If you really think you will be judged on this issue just because you homeschool then you are overestimating how much strangers care about what you do with your family

"No home schools will be accepted."

Stand up and be counted, not dismissed. I'd much rather do that than complain later when there is a writing contest with a scholarship attached that doesn't allow home school entries but allows all others to participate. Then the thinking could be, "well the parents paid for their education K-12, they should be able to handle college expenses too."

Yes, there was whining. Yes, people paid attention. Yes, there will be a change.

Hallejuah.

I'm really glad this came up because it shows that there ARE differences of opinion on this, and that we aren't all in lockstep. If someone from Subway's PR group googles "homeschool subway" just to feel our "pulse" (and I betcha they are doing so), hopefully they will be led to this message board where they will see that there is a variety of opinions on this issue, and that we're not all a bunch of "you better give me a chance to win that equipment or I'm never buying a sandwich from you again" types.

But those differences of opinion could have been voiced without name calling. And without comparing those with different opinions to 4 year olds.

You know at first, I felt offended about the "no homeschoolers" statement, but after a few here pointed out about the prize money that would be allotted schools, I no longer felt discriminated against. I'm all for protecting my homeschool rights, but I do feel that a company should have a right to offer a contest to just public schoolers. I have no problem with that. I was rather surprised that American Family Association and the Homeschool Legal Defense Association both got involved. It does concern me how it makes homeschoolers look, yet at the same time, I hope it makes a statement to those that will try to take away our legal rights.

:iagree: I love it when someone so wonderfully expresses my thoughts so I don't have to. :)

"No home schools will be accepted."

Stand up and be counted, not dismissed. I'd much rather do that than complain later when there is a writing contest with a scholarship attached that doesn't allow home school entries but allows all others to participate. Then the thinking could be, "well the parents paid for their education K-12, they should be able to handle college expenses too."

Yes, there was whining. Yes, people paid attention. Yes, there will be a change.

Hallejuah.

:iagree: What she said.

That's a good point, Jackie.

ETA: My only irritation is with the complaints that really have been that juvenile (the few I've seen), only because I feel like it makes me look bad, too, because the complaints were worded as though they represent a collective homeschool mindset. Those complaints *were* whiney. And they did come across as a foot stamping preschooler who wasn't getting his way. I don't mind calling that for what it is, because it allows me to publicly distance myself from it.

I guess I'm just pretty cynical about the whole thing.

I don't think that Subway/Scholastic did this out of the generosity of their hearts. Come on, let's face it, $5000 worth of playground equipment is no big shakes...especially for a whole school. If they wanted to be truly generous, they could've offered more like $15,000 and then a school would realistically be able to get something great.

It all comes down to the bottom line, in my opinion.

Scholastic wanted to promote its image as a company dedicated to literacy.

Subway wanted to promote its image as the fast food place dedicated to good health.

It was a marriage made in heaven...and to boost the earnings of both companies in an economy where people might decide to use their libraries more and eat at home more.

The reason that they responded positively to the public outcry is that they want our business. And now we will give it to them, won't we? Some of us will give them business to prove that we're not whiny and some of us will give them business to prove that we're not mad anymore.

It's neither here nor there to me. We don't eat at Subway, and I haven't bought any Scholastic books in a couple of years.

And whether or not you support the letters of indignation that were sent, we all have a right to freedom of speech and opinion.

We elect our leaders and we kick them out when they don't live up to our expectations.

We voice opinions on all manner of things.

We vote with our feet, and it is our right to do so.

Those who wrote letters do not represent all of us. The people who run these companies are bright enough to know that. But they are also bright enough to know that their bottom line could be affected negatively if public perception is that they have treated a group unfairly.

And I'm not too worried about the way homeschoolers are viewed as a result of this because frankly I don't think that many people outside of the homeschool world know or even care about this whole situation.

:lurk5:

The same whining happened in my local group and I replied to the e-mail group with similar arguments that Subway did nothing wrong. Not one reply to argue back. I think most people just assumed it was an anti-homeschool thing-- and didn't look into it before they started whining.

Have you done a survey of "most people" then? *I* have been questioned about all sorts of things that have been on the news (ETA: especially that pertain to hsing). People remember negatives much more so than they remember positives. It is just another thing for them to add to there "homeschoolers are weird" file. And no, I'm not OVERestimating (I believe that's what you meant, instead of UNDERestimating) how much strangers care about what I do with my family. I posted this based on experience. Strangers ARE threatened by the fact that I homeschool, and they frequently react accordingly. They frequently quote the most recent bizarre news story that involved a homeschooler as evidence that homeschooling is not 'good'.

Lots of the people that *I* talk to, read the papers and watch the news and discuss current events- especially ludicrous stories. But, I guess that's just me.

I guess I'm just pretty cynical about the whole thing.

I don't think that Subway/Scholastic did this out of the generosity of their hearts. Come on, let's face it, $5000 worth of playground equipment is no big shakes...especially for a whole school. If they wanted to be truly generous, they could've offered more like $15,000 and then a school would realistically be able to get something great.

It all comes down to the bottom line, in my opinion.

Subway wanted to promote its image as the fast food place dedicated to good health.

It was a marriage made in heaven...and to boost the earnings of both companies in an economy where people might decide to use their libraries more and eat at home more.

The reason that they responded positively to the public outcry is that they want our business. And now we will give it to them, won't we? Some of us will give them business to prove that we're not whiny and some of us will give them business to prove that we're not mad anymore.

It's neither here nor there to me. We don't eat at Subway, and I haven't bought any Scholastic books in a couple of years.

And whether or not you support the letters of indignation that were sent, we all have a right to freedom of speech and opinion.

We elect our leaders and we kick them out when they don't live up to our expectations.

We voice opinions on all manner of things.

We vote with our feet, and it is our right to do so.

Those who wrote letters do not represent all of us. The people who run these companies are bright enough to know that. But they are also bright enough to know that their bottom line could be affected negatively if public perception is that they have treated a group unfairly.

And I'm not too worried about the way homeschoolers are viewed as a result of this because frankly I don't think that many people outside of the homeschool world know or even care about this whole situation.

:lurk5:

Sounds like a great group of people that you surround yourself with. I tend to immerse myself in the community, which is full of all sorts of folks with varying viewpoints. I see that your DC are 5 and 4, do you have any older DC you've been HSing for longer? My oldest is 13yo, I've been around the block and I'm thinking maybe I have a bit more experience discussing HSing with various people. ;)

Again, though, if someone is offering to give their money away, even for a scholarship, they should have the freedom to give it to whomever they choose. If they choose to exclude homeschoolers, for whatever reason, then they have that right. And, if they want to offer a merit scholarship, they are free to offer it based on merit alone, irrespective of need. If they want to give a scholarship to left-handed, curly haired girls, they can do that. Whether or not the parents paid for their K-12 education is irrelevant. The slope from a little writing contest to a college scholarship is a very slippery one, but if Subway or anyone else wanted to offer a scholarship to a select group of people, no matter the size of the group, they have that right.

Suppose you owned an Italian ice stand at the beach, and one day you saw a little girl with big brown eyes gazing longingly at another kid's ice. You have every right, with her parent's permission, to give that little girl an icee -- just 'cause you want to! You could even invite her to bring her friends, too! Does that give every kid on the beach a right to demand that you give him an Italian ice, too? Of course not! You have the right to choose who gets your Italian Ice, or you can choose not to give any away at all.

Homeschoolers weren't dismissed. They were excluded. Personally, Subway's "apology" sounded like an appeasement to me. They didn't make any positive changes. They just patted homeschoolers on the head, and made a lame promise that "soon" they would have another promotion that would include homeschoolers. They acted pretty much the same way as I did when my 4yods complained that he couldn't go to the girls' birthday party. And, from what I've seen, the homeschoolers have reacted much the same way ds did. "Yay! I got the attention I wanted, and I got a promise for some ice cream too! I may never see the ice cream, but I got the pat on the head, and that's all I really wanted anyway."

Sounds like a great group of people that you surround yourself with.

Thanks, I know that this is meant to be a sarcastic attack, but I really do surround myself with a great group of people. I don't think I would want to surround myself with people who "especially" like to discuss ludicrous stories. But that's what makes us all different, right?

I tend to immerse myself in the community, which is full of all sorts of folks with varying viewpoints. I see that your DC are 5 and 4, do you have any older DC you've been HSing for longer? My oldest is 13yo, I've been around the block and I'm thinking maybe I have a bit more experience discussing HSing with various people. ;)

True. I expect that in about 8 years I'll have more homeschool experience and my viewpoint is likely to change.

Also, I do immerse myself in my community too and I love varying viewpoints which is why I'm standing up for "the whiners" even though I don't agree with them. I don't enjoy discussing the merits of something ridiculous. I am not really enjoying this discussion, so I will let you have the last word.

I don't necessarily think that someone who writes a letter of disagreement to a company is a whiner. How are companies to know what the public thinks if they get no feedback?

On the other hand, I think this whole thing has been blown out of proportion. Businesses can and should have the right to place limits on who may enter their contests. For example: Purchase required to enter. Okay, fine. Do I run around angry because I don't buy products from company "X" and am not eligible to win a prize? Of course not!

On the other other hand- bet you didn't know I have three hands!:D- I can certainly see where the wording of the rules might be interpreted as offensive to homeschoolers. I know that any time I see a specific exclusion of homeschooled students, I feel like it's a way of excluding the academically advanced so that the academically disadvantaged can have a ghost of a chance. Is that mean spirited of me? Yes, I freely admit it. But I have seen instances where that seems to be the ONLY reason HSers are excluded from participating in a contest. And as a defensive HSer, I also admit that sometimes I really need to :chillpill: .

I can see both sides, really.

-Robin

My goodness, yes they have the right to choose who to have a contest open to but how many times do you want to see, "no home schools allowed/accepted"??? I have a right to voice my opinion, to write letters or call whomever I please, no matter what my reasoning.

To berate or judge others for speaking up is not doing anyone any favors. See, I would never give just one or two children a treat without treating all those present but that's just me. As far as appeasement, they addressed the issue and their follow-up will be the end result. Complaining on a homeschool board is not proactive, it doesn't DO anything. Who's really wanting the pat on the head here?

But those differences of opinion could have been voiced without name calling. And without comparing those with different opinions to 4 year olds.

Please. The OP used an example of how her 4 year old couldn't understand why he wasn't included in a party until she explained the situation to him in a way he could understand. Then she gave him some ice cream. She didn't call anyone a 4 year old.

And neither did I. I advocate treating whiners like 4 year olds. And then giving them ice cream.

If they wanted to be truly generous, they could've offered more like $15,000 and then a school would realistically be able to get something great.

Maybe, but I'm not comfortable telling a donor that their donation is just not great enough, kwim? I'm sure there are plenty of schools that would love to have the equipment that $5000 could buy.

Oh, I agree with that, but those are deserved images. When I say I appreciate Subway's efforts in this regard, it's because I *do* eat there often and I really *do* appreciate the way they have kicked off a healthy kids promotion offering fruit, yogurt and baked chips as the sides. More and more fast food companies are doing this, but Subway is the bomb when it comes to being able to get a kid friendly healthy meal. And they have a website with info about healthy food choices and exercise. All companies are in it to make a buck, but when it comes to the image as a healthy fast food restaurant, Subway has a well established reputation.

But they are also bright enough to know that their bottom line could be affected negatively if public perception is that they have treated a group unfairly

I honestly don't think that Subway's bottom line was going to be impacted by this one way or the other. We're not that large of a group, and most of us (from what I can tell) are not frequent customers of Subway anyway.

I don't think that many people outside of the homeschool world know or even care about this whole situation

The majority of the public probably doesn't know about this... but I believe it's gotten more press than you realize. Yes, it does bother me when a group like HSLDA gets a hold of an issue like this and acts as though they represent most, if not all, homeschoolers. I'm sorry, but it made me feel like homeschoolers were being portrayed as having a collective chip on their shoulder. There are those who are saying that they should be able to not only compete in the contest, but that if they won the contest, they should be able to keep the $5000 worth of equipment that was clearly intended for a school. They have the right to voice that opinion, true... and I have the right to say I think they're being unreasonable. Which I do. :)

I'm sorry. I wasn't saying you wouldn't share your food. I wasn't saying anything personal about you at all. I was just using a hugely exagerated story as an illustration that you, or anyone in that situation, would have the right to choose. And, I didn't mean to say that no one had a right to voice their opinion, or their disappointment. I just don't believe that they had a right to demand to be included.

I agree that in the grand scheme of things, my opinions here don't hold a bucket of water. I just felt a need to express an opinion that differed from most of what was being said here, and on other forums. I was really wondering if I was the only one who held the opinion I do. I wasn't expecting very many responses. I'm pleased that there are a few people who agree with me. It gives me just the pat on the head I need. :)

As for any real follow-up from Subway or Scholastic, that remains to be seen. I hope they do have a contest for homeschoolers, and that the prize will be as large, but I'm not holding my breath. They could easily open this contest up to include everyone, but they haven't done that. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't expect much more than the pat on the head they've already given.

Sorry that I sounded like I was attacking you. I certainly didn't mean to. I don't even know you! I'm really a nice person; just ask my kids! :)