Menu

Fall baking (and cooking)!! YAY!!

According to my calendar fall is only 9 days away :001_wub:

Is anyone else ready to pull out the nutmeg and cinnamon sticks?

What are you planning to bake or cook?

I've never made apple butter, shepherd's pie, or mushroom barley soup, I'd like to give them all a try this season.

I think we'll make the apple butter (and possibly a few apple shrunken heads) on the first day of fall. I'd love to see recipes if you have a good one.

Last year I posted about wanting to do lots of pumpkin recipes: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216277&highlight=pumpkin. I think it took a full year to recover from pumpkin overload! :tongue_smilie: (I'm ready to do it all over again).

So, what's on your fall menus?

:lurk5:

Oh I've already made some fabulous pumpkin cupcakes with a yummy cream cheese icing. Soooooo good.

The biggest thing to get me in the "mood" (we are in San Diego after all, and need all the fall indicators we can get) is to boil some mulling spices on the stove. I get a can at Trader Joe's and it is divine.

Oh I've already made some fabulous pumpkin cupcakes with a yummy cream cheese icing. Soooooo good.

The biggest thing to get me in the "mood" (we are in San Diego after all, and need all the fall indicators we can get) is to boil some mulling spices on the stove. I get a can at Trader Joe's and it is divine.

:D Funny you should say that. I'm in OC, this morning I simmered a pot of water with cloves, cinnamon, orange, and nutmeg.

After an hour or so the girls started to ask about "that yummy smell". I'll have to check out TJ's version next time I go.

Pumpkin cupcakes sound awesome!

This:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/downeast-maine-pumpkin-bread/detail.aspx

This:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/clone-of-a-cinnabon/detail.aspx

This:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/boilermaker-tailgate-chili/detail.aspx

This:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cake-balls/detail.aspx (I use homemade everything for this one though)

This:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/easy-decadent-truffles/detail.aspx (I use different flavored extracts)

This:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/libbys-pumpkin-roll-with-cream-cheese-filling/detail.aspx

Along with a whole host of others I have written down somewhere that I can't find right now. :) I can't wait!!

Yay! Soup weather!

It has already started to cool down here, so I made tortilla soup the other day. I look forward to beef and barley, butternut squash bisque, chicken and dumpling stew, cream of wild rice soup, turkey and wild rice, and other soups not readily coming to my brain right now. I. love. soup. :D

It's also time for apple crisp and blackberry cobbler. I guess those are late summer dishes, but around here late summer and early fall are indistinguishable.

I would like the recipes for the pumpkin cupcakes and the pumpkin pancakes and the crockpot applesauce, pretty please!

I will be making pumpkin dip, pumpkin bread, pumpkin & black bean soup, and lots of chilis (red and white), vegetable soup, chicken tortilla soup... I'm sure there are more.

I don't recall where I got them (somewhere online) so hopefully this is okay:

pumpkin cupcakes

2 c. flour

1 t. baking soda

1 t. baking powder

1 t. coarse salt

1 t. ground cinnamon

1 t. ground ginger

1/4 t. nutmeg

1/4 t. ground allspice

1 c. packed brown sugar

1 c. sugar

1 c. (2 sticks) butter, melted and cooled

4 large eggs, lightly beaten

1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree

directions:

1. preheat oven to 350 degrees. line cupcake pans with paper liners. set

aside. in a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder,

salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice. set aside. [don't worry if you

don't have all the right spices. we didn't have allspice, so i just doubled

the amount of nutmeg].

2. separately, whisk together, brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter, and

eggs. add dry ingredients, and whisk until smooth. [i apparently can't read

recipes, and just softened my butter instead of melting it - it still worked

great]. whisk in pumpkin puree. [the recipe calls for 15 oz. of pumpkin

puree, which is actually half of of the cans of pumpkin you find at most

stores].

3. divide batter evenly among liners, filling each about halfway to 3/4

full. bake approximately 20 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. [in my

oven it was almost exactly 20 minutes].

cream cheese frosting

1/2 c. butter, softened

1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened

1 t. vanilla

3 1/2 c. powdered sugar

directions:

cream butter and cream cheese together until smooth. add vanilla. then add

powdered sugar. it will be too thick to use regular beaters after you add

the powdered sugar, just fyi. hope you have a kitchenaid. or you don’t mind

using your muscles. i pipe my frosting out of a re-usable featherweight

piping bag i purchased at michael’s. and this recipe makes exactly the right

amount needed to frost one batch of these cupcakes.

I *LOVE* fall in New England!!! NOTHING beats it!!!

We split and stack our wood to keep the home toasty warm........ and I have a kettle of home cooked chili sizzling over a campfire, warm apple cider, and home baked cornbread made out of freshly milled corn and wheat. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

We *LOVE* going apple picking and making applesauce, and especially making apple crisp!!!

Oven roasted veggies, meats, all those things we didn't want to eat in the heat of the summer.

Hot chocolate, hot buttered rum (!), sipping hot tea all day long.

Pot roast, potatoes and carrots slow roasted.

New England clam chowder!

Tomorrow a cold front come in. It will be in the 60's. I can't WAIT to wear my winter pajamas and fall/winter clothing.

I guess I'm still in summer mode, because tomorrow I'm making homemade fresh (ie. not cooked) salsa, and some tabouli. What can I say, I have cravings to satisfy. :tongue_smilie:

For fall, pumpkin muffins, chili, plum tart, apple dumplings, apple crisp, African chicken with chapatis, sweet potato and peanut chicken, twice baked potato casserole... and I'll need to do some more thinking about this!

It's funny this thread came up. Just a few days ago, I had the sudden urge to curl up with a cook book again and make some plans. I called my mom and told her of the recipes I'm planning, and she said she had the same urge. Guess it really is a fall thing.

Tomorrow a cold front come in. It will be in the 60's. I can't WAIT to wear my winter pajamas and fall/winter clothing.

It was 35F with the humidity yesterday but it's supposed to cool off next week. I'm sooo ready for fall. Our firewood should be here in a week or two.

I haven't done any baking (beyond Christmas fruitcake). I'm still in canning mode.

I've already made a few batches of apple cider and pumpkin bread.

Today the children and I will attempt to make blueberry muffins, sugar cookie dough, more pumpkin bread, cornbread (some for this weekend, and some in preparation for Tday cornbread stuffing), and cheese crackers. Let's see how much we can actually get done!

Autumn came early in Ireland this year so I have already made applesauce, apple and (hedgerow) blackberry pie and butternut squash and sweet potato soup. I can't wait for the pumpkins to come in as we only get fresh ones here in season. This weekend a town nearby hosts "The Country Comes To Town" event where the first of the candy and toffee apples will be on sale. :drool:

I *LOVE* fall in New England!!! NOTHING beats it!!!

We split and stack our wood to keep the home toasty warm........ and I have a kettle of home cooked chili sizzling over a campfire, warm apple cider, and home baked cornbread made out of freshly milled corn and wheat. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

We *LOVE* going apple picking and making applesauce, and especially making apple crisp!!!

Oven roasted veggies, meats, all those things we didn't want to eat in the heat of the summer.

Hot chocolate, hot buttered rum (!), sipping hot tea all day long.

Pot roast, potatoes and carrots slow roasted.

New England clam chowder!

(My bolding)

Don't gag..... :D

For years I've been wanting to make a vegan calm chowder (Manhattan and New England)! Maybe I should give it a go this year?

I made my first pot of chili EVER yesterday. It was good. I know how I want it improved, I think.

Pumpkin bread... Oooooo... I'm getting excited for the weekend now.

And my friend and I are planning on at least one giant pot of homemade applesauce this fall.

I had my first (ok, and my second!) Honeycrisp today. :D

I've been making my list of favorite make-ahead freezer meals...

Cheezy potato soup

Farmhouse chili (sausage & white bean)

Beef stroganoff

Tomato bisque

Pulled BBQ pork for sandwiches

Biscuit Pot Pie (freeze the filling, add biscuits later)

Also getting ready to tackle the bushel of plums I got yesterday - plum/pear butter, spicy plum sauce, plum bread. Maybe plum upside-down cake :).

Also plan to try make-ahead fruit crisp topping - I have lots of fruit in the freezer, so it would be a quick way to make up a yummy snack/dessert.

Next week (for the first time) I'm going to soak and cook a ton of navy beans to put in the freezer - some to use with the Farmhouse chili, and some to try making homemade crockpot baked beans.

Oh, and nearly forgot the acorn squash in the pantry - baked halves w/butter and brown sugar. Mmmmm. Maybe some apples.

Edited by Susan in TN

I'm anxious to bake bread again. Any kind of bread really, we love it all! And I just may get another sourdough starter going.

We have loads of blueberries every July from our three big bushes, and they are frozen and ready to go into muffins, pancakes and cobblers. Yummmmm!

Another favorite at my house is pie. I've been thinking about making a pie once a month during the colder months, each time a different flavor.

Sept. - apple

Oct. - peach

Nov. - pumpkin

Dec. - pecan and/or apple w/cranberry

Jan. - coconut

Feb. - chocolate

Mar. - lemon maringue

April - grasshopper

Besides the sweet treats that we all love to bake and eat, my family truly loves homemade soups and stews. During the colder months we make a big pot of something every week, and there's usually fresh baked biscuits or cornbread to go with.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

I'm anxious to bake bread again. Any kind of bread really, we love it all! And I just may get another sourdough starter going.

We have loads of blueberries every July from our three big bushes, and they are frozen and ready to go into muffins, pancakes and cobblers. Yummmmm!

Another favorite at my house is pie. I've been thinking about making a pie once a month during the colder months, each time a different flavor.

Sept. - apple

Oct. - peach

Nov. - pumpkin

Dec. - pecan and/or apple w/cranberry

Jan. - coconut

Feb. - chocolate

Mar. - lemon maringue

April - grasshopper

Besides the sweet treats that we all love to bake and eat, my family truly loves homemade soups and stews. During the colder months we make a big pot of something every week, and there's usually fresh baked biscuits or cornbread to go with.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I like the idea of a pie a month, though my own list would look more like 6 months pumpkin, 2 months apple, and the last 4 months chocolate :D

Also getting ready to tackle the bushel of plums I got yesterday - plum/pear butter, spicy plum sauce, plum bread. Maybe plum upside-down cake :).

I made the crust for this last night, just waiting for the plums on the counter to soften a bit more:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/14/dining/rustic-sugar-plum-crostata-with-lemon-thyme-recipe.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=plum%20crostada&st=cse

I couldn't find lemon thyme so I think I'll just add some lemon zest.

Count me as another one who's been in a major cooking/baking mood lately, even though the weather doesn't quite feel completely like fall yet.

Oooo! Thanks for the pumpkin enchilada recipe. :001_wub:

On my menu is defn a pot of pumpkin chili. And a girlfriend of mine (rude, so RUDE) sprinkled a dash or two of cinnamon in the coffee grounds when brewing a pot for us Friday (new addiction! ack! ack!), and now I've a mind to see just how much damage I can do to one or two (dozen) pots myself.

We're in budget-stretching mode now, so our current menu includes lots of wonderful chilis, soups, and curries anyway--tooo perfect and I can't wait to shift spices to the nutmegs and cinnamons and allspices. And to dust off the remnant of last year's pumpkin.

I'm thinking Friday will be Fall Kickoff Day for school (which just might possibly feature my favorite part of a fall menu).

I'll have to try your recipe. I tried making some recently and they weren't pumpkin-y enough IMO.

I must say - I sent the leftovers to work with my husband, and everyone went crazy over them. They were very popular and, IMO, very pumpkiny. I want to make more but Trader Joe's hasn't got their organic pumpkin puree in yet (though they said this week). I've never actually made my own pumpkin puree, and am happy enough to just buy that particular item in a can, lol!

Oooo! Thanks for the pumpkin enchilada recipe. :001_wub:

On my menu is defn a pot of pumpkin chili. And a girlfriend of mine (rude, so RUDE) sprinkled a dash or two of cinnamon in the coffee grounds when brewing a pot for us Friday (new addiction! ack! ack!), and now I've a mind to see just how much damage I can do to one or two (dozen) pots myself.

We're in budget-stretching mode now, so our current menu includes lots of wonderful chilis, soups, and curries anyway--tooo perfect and I can't wait to shift spices to the nutmegs and cinnamons and allspices. And to dust off the remnant of last year's pumpkin.

I'm thinking Friday will be Fall Kickoff Day for school (which just might possibly feature my favorite part of a fall menu).

DH doesn't like his coffee flavored, so when I want cinnamon coffee I use a cinnamon stick in the mug. It is delicious and you can use the same stick for multiple cups.

DH doesn't like his coffee flavored, so when I want cinnamon coffee I use a cinnamon stick in the mug. It is delicious and you can use the same stick for multiple cups.

:001_wub: !!!! Tru, I'm going to name my next child* after you.

* Or fish**

** Or, if all else fails, the next piglet dd catches at the county fair.

I'm making pumpkin whoopie pies this week!

BTW, is anyone else experiencing a canned pumpkin shortage in their area? I couldn't find any in the store in the usual spot. We finally asked the bakery dept and they told us that everyone has been complaining about it, even mentioning other grocery stores in the area that do not have any. We finally found some in the organic section, smaller can than I wanted and overpriced. :confused: