Menu

For those who are doing summer school.....

We're finishing up ETC 3 (ds 7) and Go For the Code (dd 5). I also have a light reading plan for Ancient Greece and into Ancient Rome. May throw in a math page here and there. And I'll let them do whatever science explorations interest them (unschooling approach to this for summer).

A mix.

Finishing: Core 6 for the oldest, and Phonics & Reading 1 for the middle

Starting: Life of Fred Fractions & Decimals, SWI-B, BJU Life Science, BJU 1st science

So not mini classes - but my kids have had their "summer vacation" in December/January, so new stuff is here - it's time to dig in!

Chicago history, US Geography (States and Capitals), finishing up some of our astronomy studies (if it ever gets warm enough for star gazing :tongue_smilie:) and some art projects.

I also hope to take some field trips, and spend time enjoying and observing nature.

We finished all of our core curriculum early this year. So now, we are doing Nature Study, math twice a week, free reading, music, art, and learning our Greek letters in preparation for Elementary Greek in the fall!

We will be getting a good start on General Science from Apologia for 7th grade. I am also hoping to get in some Latin over the summer. DD dragged her feet math this year so we will likely do a little...very little, over the summer. I do not think of summer as a summer break but try to have a lighter schedule all year long. May tends to be busy as well as September so it is good to have a good head start on things.

We're on a break right now, but in June we'll start next year's material for Latin, math, and grammar. I won't require any writing this summer, though. We'll probably spend about two hours every morning on lessons, plus whatever time they spend reading throughout the day.

Our summer school program has Fun, Math, Reading, Copywork, and Fun. We usually join as many library programs as we can find to do, because during the year I have a hard time fitting the Library programs in our schedule. I think I will be adding a reading tutor for my older dd, she really struggles in reading and a good friend/sister in the faith tutors for extra cash.

Blessings,

NHSM

We have three weeks left of Sonlight to finish, and my 3rd grader is still working through Wordly Wise C.

They all working through their art curriculums, because that was pushed to the wayside during the school year.

My older two will still be working on math over the summer and my youngest will continue working on her beginning phonics so she's ready for 1st grade reading in the fall.

Math will linger for both kids because they each have demonstrated a tendency to forget all the wonderful material that I have slaved so hard over the course of the year to teach them and THAT MAKES ME CRANKY!:mad:

Ahem. I'm better now.

I need to finish history with my 11 yo because we were supposed to get to the moon landing and we are only just now finishing WWII.

And I will also be doing some focused reading instruction with each of them. The older one has dyslexia and needs a tune up. The younger one reads very well but could use some practice decoding unfamiliar multisyllabic words.

My 11 yo and I will also be watching the Teaching Company Big History lectures in preparation for starting the history rotation again in the fall. We've already started this and so far it is a huge hit!

What this means is that we will be going at about quarter strength (if that) in the homeschooling department over the summer. And there will be several week-long breaks for camp and trips and visits to grandma thrown in there too.

We will be finishing up our first grade BJU math and SOTW 1. We will also be finishing up second grade phonics, and starting the first unit in R&S Grammar 2. We will be doing two subjects a day for a total of one hour of school work. I figure we can handle that. :D Oh, we will also be working on memorization and oral reading. We will take 2 weeks off before the start of the new year.

Lots of time at the pool, barbecues, and nature walks as well.

We will continue to do a short math lessons to keep skills fresh, an hour of reading per day, piano, and spelling (since spelling is a challenge for all four of my boys), and they are each researching and reporting on a couple of states. We are preparing to take a cross country trip in the fall, and I am having them pick a state, report on the history, geography, places that they want to visit, and the significance of the place.

Just fun stuff for the most part. We'll get an early start on year 3 history so we can have an extended time to explore Time Travelers Colonial Life. A friend lent us their Snap Circuits set so I think we'll give that a try. And we haven't done any art for months, so I think we'll try to finish up Artisitc Pursuits book 1. 5 yo is making good progress on reading, so may continue Phonics Pathways, but not if it makes her cranky.

I'm planning on doing everything that we're doing now, but we're only going to do 3 hours a day. I'm planning on doing a "loop" schedule that was discussed a few threads back. I don't want to burn the kids out, but I'd like to keep everything fresh in their heads.

I haven't read the other responses, but our family is schooling regularly through the summer.

We will take it slow and easy through November and December, and ease back into things in January. During that time, we finish up any 'basics' like math or English, continue with reading (which includes a decent piece of literature of ds9's choice), and work on lapbooks or SchoolExpress work page packets at the dc's interest.

We do a lot of out-of-home trips, especially to visit family, etc. during this time. Often, we make the majority of our Christmas gifts during this time as well. It's a lot of life learning kind of thing, with interest tangents thrown in here and there. ;)

What are you doing?

We are finishing up some things and transitioning to the next level. I am also trying out a new way of doing things. I am looking at concentrating on core areas and letting my dc independent study other topics. Our core will essentially be math and English (phonics, spelling, grammar and Latin.) And I will continue to read Story of the World.:001_smile:

My kids are going to do math throughout the summer, to prepare all of them for algebra next year. Two of the DS took algebra in 8th grade at a parochial school, but they only got to lesson 60 during the year, so they have to take it again in 9th. DD will take it in 8th and will be after-schooled so she actually finishes the course and won't have to take it again.

All DC will learn about how our government works, because this is an election year and I'm striking while the iron is hot.

My two homeschooled DS will take an essay writing course from Write at Home.

My other DS will continue with German lessons. He is going to spend a month with my mother to facilitate this, as she is German. Unfortunately for this project, she lives in the U.S.

I would like to sneak in some more schoolwork to get a jump start on 9th grade with the homeschooled DS, but I'm not sure that will work. We don't have enough great weather months here to suit me, so I will probably talk myself out of that plan.

We will all work on my Great Gardening Project -- I call it that to give me hope that something will grow. I'm still at the staring-at-dirt stage, wondering if the seeds will actually sprout.

The kid aren't going to camp this year, because we can't afford to send them. Nevertheless, I intend to fill a lot of their time so they won't spend it sleeping, watching t.v., or playing video games.

RC

We are finishing up some things and doing half of Usborne's Ten Terrific Weeks Knights curriculum. Part of why I'm doing it this way is because we are taking all of November off due to an out of the country move. But I am considering transitioning into a more year round schedule as well so this year will be a test of that. (Year round with a lot of breaks that is!)

We finish up officially in 2 weeks, then will take a few weeks completely off, then 5yo wants to study airplanes for a week or two. We'll also work on reading and drawing a lot before we start 2nd grade/Kindergarten probably in August this year because it gets too hot to be outside much anyway. We'll also keep up with the green hour challenges, piano practice, and a little math here and there.

Guest desnatural

We're finishing Math (should be finished around early July with that curriculum) and doing our science (body and plants) which for the science is great because it'd be too hard to study plants in the winter. It will be fun to do it this summer.

ARGH though. I'm worn out!!

A combo of finishing up the old and starting the new. OTher than the days they are at camps they will be having normal school days. We took a break from July until Decemember last year due to complicated pregnancy and then baby's arrival so really we are only at the midpoint of our year not the end.

We're doing math drill work but not continuing in our usual books. No grammar. Spelling once or twice a week because it's a weak area for her. Then we're doing a lot of history, a regular amount of Latin, and some science starting in July. We count our school year for reporting purposes as the day after Labor day to the first week of June.

We will be continuing math, spelling and reading except for weeks that we are camping, at summer zoo camp, or off on trips to visit distant friends.

For new or short mini-things:

I started a new history read aloud for the summer that has short biographical stories about famous Americans.

We are getting baby chicks next week. This is part math, part science and part economics. We will raise them for a few weeks, then sell all but three of them. The kids get to keep the profit so we are learning about record keeping and practical math. We will also be building a small coop and a movable pen for the ones we keep - again the kids will design, price and build it so it is an application of math.

We do school year-round and are almost done with our "summer" (that time in between finishing old materials and starting new).

Dd is currently interested in Greek Mythology, and did a unit study and lapbook. We've broken out the chemistry set and done several experiments. She has been reading a bit more over the last few weeks. She's been shopping for curriculum which gets her thinking about learning goals. She also journals a lot and has about 6 diaries going at once.

New stuff will start arriving Monday but we won't start back with planned lessons until we get back from an educational trip in late June. We don't usually do school for much more than 3 hours a day anyway, and it's easy for dd to fill that time with something productive with little help from me. I am enjoying a few weeks of NO outside activities for 2 more weeks!!!

We will be plunging into the next school year over the summer. We finished up "last year" a few weeks ago, and I am planning a 3-month Winter Break (baby arrives in October, and with the holidays and family visiting I know we realistically won't start up school again until January), so the next grade level for my oldest starts on Monday (we've been ramping up this week).

My oldest (rising 4th grader) will do:

Math Review (Facts timed tests, math games)

Abeka Health

Virginia State History Project

Finish up composition program (book review, poem, lego report)

Speech

Grammar (because I want to see how he does with Abeka vs. Exercises in English via K12)

Penmanship (because he *needs it*)

1 hr. reading/day books of choice

Latin...

Bible Study...

Music...

Art...

My two younger children (rising K & 1st) will continue with their current reading math programs -- as well as do Art, Music, Latin and Bible Study as a family.

My younger will be "done" with school by 10am (outside time for an hour).

My older will probably still have an hour left (reading) after lunch.

I'm a "mean" mommy -- but whenever we get too lax it's murder getting everyone back "on track."

Next year "officially" begins on 8/1.

Otter is doing:

Bible

Children's History of the World

Various books I'm reading out loud to him (Usborne's Living Long Ago, Charlotte's Web, Old Yeller, The Chronicles of Narnia series and more)

Spelling

LLATL

Handwriting Without Tears

Math - we are still working with RightStart but I'm also allowing him to dabble in various workbooks we own and stuff on the Internet like the site

http://www.thinkingblocks.com

Science - various stuff like Usborne books

I'm also encouraging him to read each day.

We are taking a much easier pace though and he finishes his work in only a few hours a day at most.

Bear is doing Thinkwell's Calculus at a very accelerate pace. He started this week and will probably be done with it by the end of August. He is doing it concurrently with Life of Fred calculus.

He is also studying from an American history text, studying for the PSAT and doing plenty of free reading.

Emily is taking the classroom portion of driver's ed through the Driver's Ed in a Box program and also studying economics with stuff from Bluestocking Press. She's also writing tons, but then she's always writing something or other....

If I ever need a good punishment for her, I don't let her use the computer to type, LOL...that's like torture....;)

I told her in the old days I had to write it all by hand and it won't kill her. ;)

We school year-round. For summer we're doing a 6 week Presidential Election Lapbook study and then we are going to begin Calvert Schools Civics course. We're keeping up with our math and language arts as usual. Science will be reading the Science Explorers daily and history is a daily reading from The Story of Mankind by Van Loon. Both history, civics and science are supplemented daily with Unitedstreaming videos. We're also doing a Cultures and 2D Art class via Florida Virtual. There is also driver training for two weeks for the teen and a Florida Virtual Computing for Careers and College course. We also have swim team and martial arts and the library summer reading program. It is going to be a VERY full summer! :)

around 50 pages of reading in a novel he chooses, 2 or 3 sentences of copywork in cursive, and piano. If he focuses, it isn't more than 30 or 40 minutes. It is more to keep him from regressing over the summer - not learn anything new.

Joyce:001_smile:

July-August is our fourth term of our school year. We actually get more schooling done in the summer, as we don't have all the activities (scouts, sports, etc.) going on. We school in the morning and early afternoon, then go to the neighborhood pool for some R&R.

Without all the running around, it is actually very relaxing.

Each of my 3 girls will do a math lesson per day. they will spend time reading for the library reading program and of course I will read aloud to them before bed, but they won't know that I am choosing read a loud material which will coincide with things I want them to learn...bwahahahaha! I am considering a Bible memory program similar to simply charlotte mason style so they don't forget all they have learned in the school year with our church Bible memory program. I have also scheduled "field trips" daily and weekly and the kids are looking forward to those--for example on Mondays we will visit the grandparents and take a picnic and fish, hike, nature walk, etc. Tuesdays we will go Putt-putt golfing, Wednesdays will be library day, Thursdays will be bowling, and Fridays will be park days. Also we will still have music practice and lessons--so I guess we are "unschooling" this summer and it took that whole post to figure it out!

We school year round with breaks as needed. So, we'll continue on with our lessons, especially math and Latin. Summer tends to be a little easier because the kids can play outside in the cooler hours of the morning and we can school during the heat of the day.

We will be finishing up K12's 1st grade phonics with my youngest 2 (5 and 6 years old still). This is the biggest "must do." I am hoping to be done with phonics entirely, by fall, and ready to move to grammer/spelling/writing with them both. They are on track and doing well, and I don't want to loose ground now.

I will have my 5, 6, 8, & 10yo's do a couple math review pages a week. Dd 13, will start and complete VideoText Algebra Module C. (She will be doing this pretty much every day, after most of the month of June off.)

I ordered, by 10yo's request, A World of Adventure. This will help us review ancient history over the summer. It will also give us a light dose of grammer, science, art and music, and good amount of literature. This will be our summer spine. I'm excited about it and think it will work well for my middle kids. I plan to do as much as possible, and finish with it summer 2009, as a review of this coming school year (SOTW 2), as it goes through much of ancient and middle ages history.

I'm actually really excited about schooling through the summer...however, I want the kids to relax and have fun, more than anything else. They've worked hard for 180 days, and they deserve a little down time. Also, I really, really need to read something fun for myself! I need to get the planning out of the way for fall, and then give myself a nice little break. I'm suffering from mom-time withdrawl. I have none!

:001_smile: