Menu

I cannot take it anyMORE

It hurts me to see it, too. But to forget it? NEVER. It must be remembered.

Members of armed forces around the world are dying because of what happened that day. To try to tune it out it just because it hurts? Well, tell that to my friend whose son was injured by an IED today. Tell that to my son's best friend's parents who buried their son two weeks ago. We MUST remember. No matter what.

Sorry. Too close to home for me.

Members of armed forces around the world are dying because of what happened that day. To try to tune it out it just because it hurts? Well, tell that to my friend whose son was injured by an IED today. Tell that to my son's best friend's parents who buried their son two weeks ago. We MUST remember. No matter what.

:iagree:

:grouphug:, Ria. And thank you. :grouphug:

I'm with you.

I was pregnant with DS at the time and had family that lived just blocks from the towers. It was such a horribly emotional day, I just can't stand to see and hear all the news reports even now.

This was me, too. Pregnant and with friends that live and work in Manhattan. Watching them come down, live. Calling friends all day, watching my EMT neighbors race in, collecting vicks (for the rescuers to put under their noses so the smell would be more bearable) and sending in socks.

And yes, we should remember, but I've had enough remembering now. Some of us never forget.

the war is a separate issue-connected, but separate because maybe right now we shouldn't be there at all.

Edited by justamouse

We are going to be remembering it, for d*mn sure. That doesn't mean I want to hear every bit of news coverage, every detail of the events happening, or all of the stories, terrorist threats, and ignorant/idle flotsam and jetsam. 10 years out, some of the headlines and observations are crass or flippant, and I'm just not up for that yet.

I don't think justamouse intends to ignore it or pretend it never happened, either, and I think that is an unkind assumption. We all have loved ones in the service. We all have memories, pain, loss, and lives forever changed.

I have five beloved relatives who are either in Iraq or Afghanistan now or who have served their time since 9/11 in those places. Four of them joined because of 9/11, leaving sisters, mothers, wives, and daughters praying and waiting. It touches everyone! That doesn't mean we can all handle the roar of the noise of the entire nation. All must grieve, remember, and work in their own way.

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar

I want to remeber the day and honor those who served and those who we lost. I want to share 9/11 with my family respectfully.

I limiting my viewing of media coverage that seems 'sensationalistic' or just too 'graphic'

Instead, I am focusing on the service of our military men and women and their daily sacrifices for our freedom. How can we thank them enough?

It touches everyone! That doesn't mean we can all handle the roar of the noise of the entire nation. All must grieve, remember, and work in their own way.

You are right. It hurts us all, doesn't it? It's so easy to forget it most of the time. We've all managed to go on, yet the anniversary coverage brings back the shock and horror, and with it, I find, the same stomach-churning feeling of dread that I felt then, the "No. This can't be real. This can't be happening" feeling.

Sorry Justamouse. I didn't mean to lash out at you or the others. I'm in a raw place with this at the moment. And I agree with you about the ****ed war.

We are going to be remembering it, for d*mn sure. That doesn't mean I want to hear every bit of news coverage, every detail of the events happening, or all of the stories, terrorist threats, and ignorant/idle flotsam and jetsam. 10 years out, some of the headlines and observations are crass or flippant, and I'm just not up for that yet.

I don't think justamouse intends to ignore it or pretend it never happened, either, and I think that is an unkind assumption. We all have loved ones in the service. We all have memories, pain, loss, and lives forever changed.

I have five beloved relatives who are either in Iraq or Afghanistan now or who have served their time since 9/11 in those places. Four of them joined because of 9/11, leaving sisters, mothers, wives, and daughters praying and waiting. It touches everyone! That doesn't mean we can all handle the roar of the noise of the entire nation. All must grieve, remember, and work in their own way.

:iagree: I feel exactly the same way. I will be proudly wearing my America tee-shirt and flying my flag, but honestly, I don't want to watch the newscasts or see the tv shows that interview those who survived or were left husbandless/etc. It tears my heart out. I will never forget that day. It is burned into my brain. But I don't want to watch the shows or read the magazine articles. :patriot: :angelsad2:

I started crying this morning when they were interviewing children who had lost parents.

Last year I was crying as they were reading the names of everyone who died.

I had family living in NYC on 9/11. I was living several miles away.

I will never ever forget that day. But I don't want to be reminded of it on a daily basis. And I have no desire to go down to the memorial. To me it is a giant graveyard.

You are right. It hurts us all, doesn't it? It's so easy to forget it most of the time. We've all managed to go on, yet the anniversary coverage brings back the shock and horror, and with it, I find, the same stomach-churning feeling of dread that I felt then, the "No. This can't be real. This can't be happening" feeling.

Sorry Justamouse. I didn't mean to lash out at you or the others. I'm in a raw place with this at the moment. And I agree with you about the ****ed war.

:grouphug:

:grouphug: I was talking to my youngest about it today and started crying. I wish I was stronger and that I could handle how raw it still feels. We will go to a special service Sunday night. I hope I am done crying by then so I won't be so embarassed.

My middle dd was very sick from 9/14 - 9/20 ten years ago and was in the hospital with severe croup (she was blue and was had to have an ambulance etc..); it was super scary. I was 8 months pregnant with my youngest. I was a wreck. I remember watching the tribute/telethon and sobbing uncontrollably for 18 hours. It was the darkest time.

I'm kinda there too. Dh and I were both active duty at the time. My oldest had just turned 1. I was scared of leaving my child all alone for who knew how long. I didn't see my dh for 3 days after it happened. I had to stand on that pier and wave goodbye to him, knowing where he was going. Trust me, I will never forget.

I'm not a bad person. I simply have not turned on the radio or TV at all today. It's the job of media to fill the airwaves. I don't think that circus serves most of us well.

I don't have to play.

Those who lost their lives matter a great deal to me, in case anyone think not watching or listening to 'news' means we don't care. I haven't forgotten those people or their loved ones. We have friends in Manhattan, and a child of mine acutally lives in NYC. My mourning is personal, not public.

We have old- fashioned Grange Fair plans for tomorrow , so TV is not on our agenda any time soon. We don't need media to tell us what we should 'feel'.

Edited by LibraryLover

Sometimes I have to take a break from remembering. For my own sanity. So, I get it.

:grouphug:

It's just so darn much. It's EVERYWHERE. I'm just not sure it's all that great for the American psyche to have it shoved in our faces all.the.time.

Whoever isn't going to remember 9/11 and take a moment to honor the changes it wrought in the world; won't because there has been all this coverage, they simply won't PERIOD.

But I feel my own anxiety rise whenever I log onto my email and read about NYC's terror alert going up and I'm about 1100 miles from NYC. I cannot imagine how the people living there are feeling right now.

At least moms won't have to send their kids to school on 9/11. But do you even leave your home???

[quote=Jennifer3141;3128954

But I feel my own anxiety rise whenever I log onto my email and read about NYC's terror alert going up and I'm about 1100 miles from NYC. I cannot imagine how the people living there are feeling right now.

At least moms won't have to send their kids to school on 9/11. But do you even leave your home???[/QUOTE]

I haven't even done that. My communciation happens via FB. I don't read the feed, only my own personal messages. I highly recommend it. One can filter invasive media that way.

Why would I stay home tomorrow? I have stuff to do.

ETA: Wait. My dh said tomorrow is the 10th. I don't even know the exact date, obviously, but this tragedy is still on my mind, although in my own way.

Edited by LibraryLover

While I won't be watching any national coverage of 9/11 memorials, I will be remembering this year. As I stand and watch my loved one climb on the bus and head to Afghanistan, as I hold my children while they cry because, once again, they will not see their favorite Uncle for months, as I sit and wait to hear that he is safe everyday for the next year, yes, I will remember.

I remember and I had to turn off the coverage. We usually discuss it in school, ds turned 4 the following week, he remembers it vividly. Next week he'll be 14, which oddly feels so different than him turning 13. This year we opted to just acknowledge it. We've had a horribly rough personal year, my ds has seen enough grief. I watched the cnn video, thinking we might do that, but I just couldn't. At the time it happened we knew no one personally impacted, but that has changed in the last ten years.

We will never forget. We'll discuss it in school again, but this year I need to focus on our own healing.

I've had to temper it today-I woke up to the Today show and the children of victims that I think was mentioned here already. I woke up crying, it blended with a nightmare and I woke to that poor 10 year old boy crying for his dad. good heavens what a way to wake up.

But I expect it to be out there-that whole day was played out on media and we had east coast feed on our tv that day though we live in MT-we saw much more than we could even relate to. It was a media event and of course the media outlets have to recognize it. Some of it is on a theme but I understand where the producers are coming from, it's expected. YOu can't NOT acknowledge it. So I know when I tune in that each program is going to recognize it and if I'm ready, I'm ready.

I talked with DH on the way home tonight about it and was in tears again, it is so clear and so sharply sad after ten years.

One of the girls this morning said about her father, when asked if this day is difficult for her: "he's gone every day so this day is no worse."

It's hard for everyone, we all go through stages where we want to see and we don't want to see, want to remember and then we need a break. I do think it's important that it's there for people when they seek it out. There is a lot of solace in shutting off the media and hugging the kids and playing with the dog and doing what grounds you. I know we took a drive tonight in the beautiful fall night and were just glad to be here. Respecting it all.

I was talking to my youngest about it today and started crying.

My sons were asking questions about 9/11 because of the media coverage, and I told them of the four planes which crashed. I cried when I talked about Flight 93 and the passengers who sacrificed their own lives to save others. That sort of courage will always touch me deeply.

While I won't be watching any national coverage of 9/11 memorials, I will be remembering this year. As I stand and watch my loved one climb on the bus and head to Afghanistan, as I hold my children while they cry because, once again, they will not see their favorite Uncle for months, as I sit and wait to hear that he is safe everyday for the next year, yes, I will remember.

This is why we don't watch TV. I can't imagine a 4 or 5 or 6 or 8 yr old year old child needing to see such graphic footage. Why terrify them? We can discuss without endless images and 24.7 coverage. I didn't turn the TV on for the kids when it happened, and I don't see the point now. Talk about invasive.

Can you imgaine children having to watch WWII footage as it was unfolding? My grandfather told me many years ago that the radio and news was scary enough and he shut it off for the sake of the kids.

My sons were asking questions about 9/11 because of the media coverage, and I told them of the four planes which crashed. I cried when I talked about Flight 93 and the passengers who sacrificed their own lives to save others. That sort of courage will always touch me deeply.

There was one more plane that was delayed on the tarmac until after the first reports started coming in. AA flt 43. when the pilot realized his plane fit the profile, he went back to the gate. Once they reaached the gate, four or five? arab men couldn't get off fast enough and left all their carry-ons behind. That was to be the fifth plane.

I completely get what OP is saying. It's not that I want to forget, or even could forget. It's that I can't stand to watch it, because it is so horrible. Even now, typing this, I have this large lump churning in my stomach to think of that day, and the days, and year afterward. I literally have not watched any of those shows, documentaries, etc, since the first year. My DH will watch them, and I have to leave the room or just ask him to turn it. It just heart-wrenching, and not something I want to experience ever again. So forgot, never, but turn my eyes from the horrible graphics of human tragedy, yes, please.

When the event occurred we were living in a log cabin in the woods, with no TV, radio, or even electricity. I did not even know it had happened until later.

I am possibly the only person who has never, not once, seen an image of what happened.

I have a friend that lives blocks from the where the towers stood, and a few years ago she told me of her experience of those days. That is really all I know about it- accounts that I have heard from people and conversations about it with real people (not media).

I wonder if, because I never saw it, that I somehow feel less disturbed? What I mean to say is, though I am quite patriotic, I feel the same level of disturbance when I read about any atrocities to any humans. (I am pretty sensitive, so stay away from all but the headlines in general.)

I am not trying to be disrespectful AT ALL. And I do have military in my family. Just wondering how the media has affected the event.

(((Hugs))) I hear you, I think about it all the time, as it has certainly affected our family in profound ways even though I had no idea what the twin towers were till a day or two later. I certainly don't need 'news' coverage or any kind of trinket to remind me.

And my ds was born on 9/11 6 years later, to this day I still can't hardly bring myself to say his birth date to people, and then when I can't get out of it I generally say oh the eleventh of September. While praying that they don't start talking about 9/11.

I wonder if, because I never saw it, that I somehow feel less disturbed? What I mean to say is, though I am quite patriotic, I feel the same level of disturbance when I read about any atrocities to any humans. (I am pretty sensitive, so stay away from all but the headlines in general.)

I am not trying to be disrespectful AT ALL. And I do have military in my family. Just wondering how the media has affected the event.

I was a teacher when this happened and I remember some things throughout the day that we heard via radio between classes.

HOWEVER....

My most vivid memories are of going home and sitting on the couch and watching things happen and sobbing. Those horrible, horrible, horrible images are the first things that come to mind when the subject comes up. And because they had people videotaping live (when news coverage is often, somewhat, after-the-fact), I think that it did contain graphic things that you usually only see in movies. I know they are burned in my brain.

I have watched a few things, but I can only handle small doses. And while my oldest does know a bit about what happened, we certainly don't let either of them watch any of the TV shows. I much prefer to use books and written media, with less bombarment of the senses and no graphic pictures. They have plenty of time to see the graphic pictures and video when they are older.

There was one more plane that was delayed on the tarmac until after the first reports started coming in. AA flt 43. when the pilot realized his plane fit the profile, he went back to the gate. Once they reaached the gate, four or five? arab men couldn't get off fast enough and left all their carry-ons behind. That was to be the fifth plane.

Wow…I've never heard that story before!

Just wondering how the media has affected the event.

I don't need to watch the media to be affected by the event.

Lets look at the facts-3000 people dying, people trapped 100 stories up and knowing they are going to die, people leaping from the 98th floor of a building to escape a raging fire. People trapped in an airplane that is hurtling towards buildings.

Honestly.

I don't need to watch the media to be affected by the event.

Lets look at the facts-3000 people dying, people trapped 100 stories up and knowing they are going to die, people leaping from the 98th floor of a building to escape a raging fire. People trapped in an airplane that is hurtling towards buildings.

Honestly.

No person with a heart could be unaffected by this. :grouphug:

I am not denying the gravity of the event at all.

Just wondering about how the images themselves change us.

I remember the horror of Columbine; when I think about it, I think about what I saw on the TV screen (I was at my moms that day, and watched the footage all day). Every time it is mentioned, I see those particular images again in my mind.

Since I did not see the images of 9/11, I don't have them to reference, know what I mean? My images of that day are purely made up, they are what I imagined as my friend talked about being there.

I am not explaining myself well; I am sorry. Perhaps this would be better at another time. :confused:

When the event occurred we were living in a log cabin in the woods, with no TV, radio, or even electricity. I did not even know it had happened until later.

I am possibly the only person who has never, not once, seen an image of what happened.

I have a friend that lives blocks from the where the towers stood, and a few years ago she told me of her experience of those days. That is really all I know about it- accounts that I have heard from people and conversations about it with real people (not media).

I understand. My youngest two don't remember. To them it is no different than when Kennedy was shot or Pearl Harbor. It is just something that happened in history. It isn't up close and personal. They don't have the memories of the emotions that they felt at the time. This year was the first one in which they ever even saw live footage. It is different for them.

Our family is in an interesting place as we do not have television service coming into our home. So, it is the newspaper and what we hear on the radio when we are driving that provide reminders, etc and, more importantly, what we seek out in the way of events to remember tomorrow.

This evening, we will cheer on a friend who was on the DC police force 10 years ago - he is running in a 5K that raises money for families who lost loved ones in 9/11 -- we will be there with his wife and kids.

I commuted for years through the WTC -- I worked in a downtown office building - all of us ROUTINELY IGNORED fire alarms, evacuation announcements -- THAT haunts me to this day.

My dh was at the Pentagon the morning of 9/11 -- I don't think I will EVER forget how frozen with terror I was until I heard his voice telling me he was okay.