Menu

Uh oh. Bb gun and neighbor dogs.

Ds11 just got caught by the neighbor shooting their dog with his bb gun. She came over and confronted me. It wasn't pretty. I told her I would tell ds to not do that again.

She wanted more I think. She kept saying how big of a problem she had with it. I said, 'I'm sorry. I will tell him not to do it again. Your dogs drive us crazy with the barking.' She said there wasn't any kind of rule about barking dogs' I said, 'I wasn't really looking to enforce some sort of rule...I just would like to be able to go in my back yard or side front without dogs barking at me constantly. She said, 'dogs bark.' I said, 'yes they do. But if I had a dog that barked constantly at the neighbors I would get rid of them.'

She looked like I had suggested she sell her firstborn. :glare: She said, 'they are part of my family and I won't be getting rid of them because they bark.' I shrugged and said, 'I'm just saying that is what I would do.'

So am I the worst neighbor in the world? How serious do you think a barking dog gets shot with bbs?

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking shots at people's pets is wrong and deserves, imo, more of a punishment. Even if the pets are desparately annoying, you do not shoot at someone's pet (unless it is actually threatening your life). Does he take down birds and squirrels too? I ask because I found out that my son and his friends had decided that it was kinder to shoot the toes off birds than to kill the birds. I get their logic, hey the birds get to live. However, offering to chop off just a little piece of one of their toes got them to understand that shooting the toes off anything is unkind.

If dh were handling this, he'd have the boy out back taking a couple of bbs so he can understand how it feels.

Seriously.

Love my husband, but sometimes...

Really though, irritating or not, someone's pet does not deserve to be shot at.

If it were my dog, I'd be thinking you'd told your son to shoot at it. Not that I think you did, but your follow up... well...

:grouphug:

I understand your frustration.....but shooting at the dogs is probably going to make them bark MORE, not less. At our house, shooting any kind of gun at a living thing would mean that the person in question was not mature enough to have the gun.

Really? The bbs don't even hurt. :tongue_smilie:

Have you personally been shot with a bb gun? I have. They hurt enough that it's mean to shoot a living being with them. There is also the danger of hitting an unintended target such as an eye. I would probably confiscate the bb gun for a while and require an apology to the neighbor. And maybe assign some extra work involving research on injuries from bb guns.

I am not sure what to say about the barking dogs. My sister has a bunch of dogs, and they bark at certain times, but not all the time. She had one who yapped too much and she got rid of him. And she lives in the boonies. So I can understand the feeling that your neighbor should try to quiet her dogs, at least most of the time. But I'm not surprised that she wasn't receptive to the idea under the circumstances in which they were presented.

Edited by SKL

I understand your frustration.....but shooting at the dogs is probably going to make them bark MORE' date=' not less. At our house, shooting any kind of gun at a living thing would mean that the person in question was not mature enough to have the gun.[/quote']

I would prefer he not have the bb gun AT ALL. I didn't buy it...his dad did.

One time my XH shot a neighbors dog with a bb gun that wouldn't stop barking. It never barked at us again.

I guess I am down right uncivilized because as much as I hate guns and like dogs I'd like to shoot those dogs myself. I hate them.

You owe her a massive apology, imo.

Yes, a barking dog is annoying and it's her job to make that stop. You should have been calling her about this all along and letting her know it was a problem for you. I recognize that your kind nature might make that hard because you probably want to get along and don't want to complain. But if it was a problem for you, you should have done that. Deciding to fold it into your son's behavior was a mistake.

Shooting a dog with a BB gun is a big deal. We have a neighborhood dog with no eye because of that. Even apart from how traumatic it would be for a child to take out a dog's eye, the vet bills were probably not pretty. But in addition, your son has now created a situation where that dog is likely to associate him (and maybe other young people) with pain. Dangerous, stupid, wrong.

Your neighbor should not have a dog if she is not willing to train it and manage its environment so that it is not an annoyance to neighbors. Your son should not have a BB gun at all. This should have been an agreed to BB gun use rule. You don't use it to shoot at other people or their stuff. Shooting at someone's dog is just ..... wrong on so many levels. Absolutely indefensible.

I honestly think you attempted to deflect the blame a bit with the barking issue. That probably just got your neighbour more frustrated and upset.

It should have been, "I'm so sorry. My son will (face these consequences and make it up to you in these ways). Thank you for telling me." Full stop.

No more BB gun for at least a good month as punishment. Volunteer a bit with a local shelter as a character builder and apologize to the neighbour and make it up in some way to her. Maybe walking the dogs or mowing her lawn.

And, if I were you, I'd go over and apologize for not seeming to take it seriously enough and to let her know your son's world was about to tip upside down for a bit. :001_smile:

How serious do you think a barking dog gets shot with bbs?

Shooting a dog with a BB Gun would be a MAJOR issue in my house. Totally unacceptable and cruel. No excuses. BBs can and do cause injury and pain. My boys are required to treat their bb guns as if they were real weapons.

My brother accidentally shot me with a bb gun when I was little. It does hurt. I understand that dogs barking constantly is frustrating. But, what your son did was inhumane and deserves to be punished. I think lessons about the importance of gun safety and responsibility are in order. I personally think that he needs to lose the right to use his gun for a period of time, but only you can truly decide that.

As for barking dogs, they can be trained to control their barking. We trained ours. However, your neighbor may be unwilling.

Suzanne

Have you personally been shot with a bb gun? I have. They hurt enough that it's mean to shot a living being with them. There is also the danger of hitting an unintended target such as an eye. I would probably confiscate the bb gun for a while and require an apology to the neighbor. And maybe assign some extra work involving research on injuries from bb guns.

Ds's dad shot his own calf with it. It was about like a paintball sting. I don't think it is very powerful...it cost $10. I don't know anything about them....is that even a real bb gun?

I am not sure what to say about the barking dogs. My sister has a bunch of dogs, and they bark at certain times, but not all the time. She had one who yapped too much and she got rid of him. And she lives in the boonies. So I can understand the feeling that your neighbor should try to quiet her dogs, at least most of the time. But I'm not surprised that she wasn't receptive to the idea under the circumstances in which they were presented

Well, she knows they bug us and she pointed out that if she is home and they bark she brings them in. One time she heard dh say, 'Every day is a new day to you isn't it dog? I've lived here a year!'

She suggested that we do what her last neighbors did....get to know the dog. I told her we had TRIED that but they won't. stop. barking.

Really? The bbs don't even hurt. :tongue_smilie:

Tell that to my GSD mix who had to have surgery to remove a bunch of BB pellets from his side before I adopted him. :glare:

I'd be taking that gun away from the child. He's clearly not responsible enough to have any kind of gun. You NEVER shoot an animal unless you are intending to kill it. Shooting a neighbor's dog that is NOT on your property is unacceptable. Period.

Ds's dad shot his own calf with it. It was about like a paintball sting. I don't think it is very powerful...it cost $10. I don't know anything about them....is that even a real bb gun?

I think you should ask your son to shoot you in the rear so you can decide for yourself whether you would want your pet to be shot with it.

I'm serious.

I would be furious! There are some red flags here:

- Son should ONLY be shooting at targets, NEVER a living thing that is annoying him. Bad lesson there.

- Your son is 10? Was he doing this unsupervised? A 10 year old should not be shooting a bb gun unsupervised.

- How does a 10 year old get to decide how much something hurts or how dangerous it is? What level of hurt is okay to inflict upon an animal?

You should apologize to the neighbor for your son's behavior because you are responsible for it too. You should have your son apologize. You should take away the bb gun.

THEN you can work with the neighbor about the dogs. Get animal control involved if necessary. But it is not okay to raise a vigilanty.

I would prefer he not have the bb gun AT ALL. I didn't buy it...his dad did.

One time my XH shot a neighbors dog with a bb gun that wouldn't stop barking. It never barked at us again.

I guess I am down right uncivilized because as much as I hate guns and like dogs I'd like to shoot those dogs myself. I hate them.

Is your son hearing you say this? You might have to watch it and then model the proper way to deal with this for him.

I would be furious! There are some red flags here:

- Son should ONLY be shooting at targets' date=' NEVER a living thing that is annoying him. Bad lesson there.

- Your son is 10? Was he doing this unsupervised? A 10 year old should not be shooting a bb gun unsupervised.

- How does a 10 year old get to decide how much something hurts or how dangerous it is? What level of hurt is okay to inflict upon an animal?

You should apologize to the neighbor for your son's behavior because you are responsible for it too. You should have your son apologize. You should take away the bb gun.

THEN you can work with the neighbor about the dogs. Get animal control involved if necessary. But it is not okay to raise a vigilanty.[/quote']

:iagree:

If your area has animal control then complain to them about the incessant barking. If you had a good relationship with your neighbor I would have suggested a bark collar (there are citronella ones that do not hurt the dog) but I think you have burned all bridges with that neighbor in how you've handled this. Your xh might have bought the bb gun but you get to decide if it is used at your house.

I honestly think you attempted to deflect the blame a bit with the barking issue. That probably just got your neighbour more frustrated and upset.

It wasn't a deflection. It was an explanation. He WAS shooting at it to make it shut up. She has a problem with it and I told her I would tell ds not to do it any more. I did tell her I was sorry. I think.

I am going to make him take the bb gun to his dad's.... I still am not sure it is even a real bb gun but don't really want him having it.

If it shoots bbs, it's a real bb gun. It may or may not be powerful, but that's beside the point.

Well, she knows they bug us and she pointed out that if she is home and they bark she brings them in. One time she heard dh say, 'Every day is a new day to you isn't it dog? I've lived here a year!'

She suggested that we do what her last neighbors did....get to know the dog. I told her we had TRIED that but they won't. stop. barking.

There are really two separate issues here. Her lack of control over her animals doesn't make it right that your ds shot her dog. You & your boy should be apologizing to her. Take up the barking at another time. What your son did was completely wrong.

Trust me--I understand about hating barking dogs. That was a big factor in why we moved 6 years ago.

You're still deflecting here. :D The point, the REAL and most important point right now is that your son shot a neighbour's pet. Everything else is beside the point.

HE used a weapon to hurt a neighbour's animal. Gun goes up, work starts, reparation begins. There's nothing else to this at all.

If someone shot my dog with a bb gun, barking or not, I would call the police.

What your son did is very serious. Even if he didn't think it would hurt the dog, you have to realize that people will perceive him as being cruel to animals. That is a REALLY big deal and will cause people to question his character and sorry, your parenting.

Tell your son it is absolutely unacceptable, and take away the bb gun until he can prove that he can be responsible with it.

It should have been, "I'm so sorry. My son will (face these consequences and make it up to you in these ways). Thank you for telling me." Full stop.

No more BB gun for at least a good month as punishment. Volunteer a bit with a local shelter as a character builder and apologize to the neighbour and make it up in some way to her. Maybe walking the dogs or mowing her lawn.

And, if I were you, I'd go over and apologize for not seeming to take it seriously enough and to let her know your son's world was about to tip upside down for a bit. :001_smile:

As much as I despise barking dogs, :iagree:. Although I doubt the neighbor would take you up on the offer to walk the dogs since she probably wouldn't trust your ds now!

It is a separate issue but I think the neighbor should address the barking problem. It is completely wrong of her to allow her dogs to interfere with you being able to use your property. My mil used a BB gun on a neighbor's dog. She tried so many times to get the neighbor to understand the problem. Every time she set foot into her backyard this huge Rottweiler would attack the fence, barking and snarling and snapping. I've seen the dog do it and it scares you to death even though there is a chainlink fence between you. The neighbor wouldn't do anything so she pelted it once with a BB gun. It doesn't come near the fence any more. I'd be seriously tempted to do the same! She used it as a last resort though.

It wasn't a deflection. It was an explanation. He WAS shooting at it to make it shut up. She has a problem with it and I told her I would tell ds not to do it any more. I did tell her I was sorry. I think.

I am going to make him take the bb gun to his dad's.... I still am not sure it is even a real bb gun but don't really want him having it.

But why he did it is beside the point. IF he'd kicked it, shot it with a real gun, would it matter why?

His explanation doesn't make it okay that he did it. And of course she has a problem with your son shooting her dog! She's nicer than I am; if the anyone shot my dog, I would call the police.

I think you are lucky she didn't call the police. It's that serious.

My thoughts too. Bbs do hurt. There are several lessons your son could learn from this, but most important is how you feel about the situation and talk with him about it. If you say what you said to your neighbor, the only thing your son will learn is to try harder to not get caught.

What is the dog barking at? Is it kept outside all day and barking to go in?

Shooting a dog with a BB Gun would be a MAJOR issue in my house. Totally unacceptable and cruel. No excuses. BBs can and do cause injury and pain. My boys are required to treat their bb guns as if they were real weapons.

I agree.

Ds11 just got caught by the neighbor shooting their dog with his bb gun. She came over and confronted me. It wasn't pretty. I told her I would tell ds to not do that again.

She wanted more I think. She kept saying how big of a problem she had with it. I said, 'I'm sorry. I will tell him not to do it again. Your dogs drive us crazy with the barking.' She said there wasn't any kind of rule about barking dogs' I said, 'I wasn't really looking to enforce some sort of rule...I just would like to be able to go in my back yard or side front without dogs barking at me constantly. She said, 'dogs bark.' I said, 'yes they do. But if I had a dog that barked constantly at the neighbors I would get rid of them.'

She looked like I had suggested she sell her firstborn. :glare: She said, 'they are part of my family and I won't be getting rid of them because they bark.' I shrugged and said, 'I'm just saying that is what I would do.'

So am I the worst neighbor in the world? How serious do you think a barking dog gets shot with bbs?

Wow. She is in the right. You, I'm afraid are not. Both you and your ds owe her an apology. Big one. BB guns are *not* for shooting at dogs.

OHMY. He decided to shoot an animal to make it stop barking?! hugeHUGE red flag!!! I would be shocked if she didn't call the police, especially if you admitted that he "shot the dog to make it stop barking".

What makes you think that it isn't a real BB gun? It shoots BBs, right?

Is your son hearing you say this? You might have to watch it and then model the proper way to deal with this for him.

Hmmm.....proper way.....:001_huh: Ok, point taken. He shouldn't have used the bb gun on dog. He won't again. I clearly didn't emphasize (because I didn't know!) how much it was likely to upset her.

I guess I could go say, 'Regardless of the reason I'm sorry my ds shot your dog with bb gun. He won't again.'

:iagree: You ds could be arrested for shooting animals with a BB gun.

My uncle adopted a one eye dog years back. The dog lost his eye due to boys shooting him with a BB gun.

Your casual attitude about BB guns suggests that you shouldn't have any.

I understand your frustration.....but shooting at the dogs is probably going to make them bark MORE' date=' not less. At our house, shooting any kind of gun at a living thing would mean that the person in question was not mature enough to have the gun.[/quote']

:iagree: what your son did was wrong and in our house it would mean a destroyed BB gun. In our house the same rules apply to the BB gun as with any other gun. It is never ever to be pointed at people or animals (the exception would be hunting, but then you wouldn't be carrying a BB gun).

Yes BBs hurt quite badly and depending on range and the BB gun can penetrate flesh, not to mention the risk to eyes. I went to school with a boy who lost an eye to a BB gun. My kids know him and know exactly how he lost his eye.

That is not an acceptable method for dealing with a problem. It's not self defense. So what is it?

Self defense to our ears. :tongue_smilie: Ok, I clearly am not taking this serious enough. Will try to muster up some remorse so I can model proper behavior to ds.

Hmmm.....proper way.....:001_huh: Ok, point taken. He shouldn't have used the bb gun on dog. He won't again. I clearly didn't emphasize (because I didn't know!) how much it was likely to upset her.

I guess I could go say, 'Regardless of the reason I'm sorry my ds shot your dog with bb gun. He won't again.'

The bolded should be gone. There's just no need. What he did was unacceptable. ANY allusion to the barking looks like you're condoning his actions. You're just going to have to drop that for a bit. Sorry. ;)

We're hard on you today, eh? :)

If they were on your property GO FOR IT!!! If they weren't I would call the police and press any charge I possibly could. I would want my dogs checked at a reputable vet on your dime. I would also point blank freak on anyone who ever said get rid of my dog. I would tell them to move. Heck I hate my dog it belongs to my daughter but if someone injured him on my property then attempted to tell me to get rid of him I would have a fit.

That is not right. When you live in a neighborhood you have to accept certain things and barking dogs are one of them. I would like to shoot the neighbors roosters for there noise at 5 am but I chose to live here.

they have different velocities, so it's hard to say how much that would hurt. Probably not much, except that it really can damage an eye - even the low velocity ones. Just a really bad idea to shoot them at a person without eye protection.

The crux of the matter is, though, that he decided to use pain to train someone else's dog. Whether pain is a useful training tool is controversial. But I think most people would agree that it's insane to set a kid loose to "train" a dog with even very mild pain techniques. Stupid, truly. The next step could well be the dog develops some kind of fear/aggression to the child and the child (or some other child) gets bit.

Really, you just can't let him think that's okay. No, it's also not okay to let your dog bark. But two wrongs don't make a right, and in this case, they can make for neighborhood misery. You can bet ALL your neighbors will get an earful about your son now. You would have protected his reputation more by taking responsibility and making him do the same.

Your conversation with the neighbor went badly. Very badly. I'd prepare for a visit from the police and use that preparation to educate self and son about the gravity of shooting living creatures of no threat to you and on their owner's property (I assume; if on yours forget everything I said). Depending on how cool or hot she is, I might even welcome timely police or animal control input. It would be an easier, safer, and a better demonstration of your reasonable nature to re-apologize and leave out any parts about the annoying characteristics of the animal that was shot at.

Edited by mirth

If they were on your property GO FOR IT!!! If they weren't I would call the police and press any charge I possibly could. I would want my dogs checked at a reputable vet on your dime. I would also point blank freak on anyone who ever said get rid of my dog. I would tell them to move. Heck I hate my dog it belongs to my daughter but if someone injured him on my property then attempted to tell me to get rid of him I would have a fit.

That is not right. When you live in a neighborhood you have to accept certain things and barking dogs are one of them. I would like to shoot the neighbors roosters for there noise at 5 am but I chose to live here.

The dogs are not hurt at all. I don't even know if they were hit.

This does not matter at all. What the point is that your ds shot a weapon at an animal with cruel intent. End of story.

I'm not surprised by your ds's actions considering what you have said so far in this thread.

Regardless of who bought the bb gun it would be gone at this point. Ds would be over at the neighbor's home immediately apologizing and offering some way to make this up. I would be baking some bread or cookies or something to smooth it over.

My neighbors have a yappy dog--he barks ALL THE TIME. It is their baby and they treat it as if it is human.

Wow. Even after 6 pages you're still completely missing the point.

What your son did was torture. He may not have known it then, but I hope he knows it now.

I'd suggest not talking to the neighbor until you've done some research yourself on BB gun injuries and "mustered up" some REAL remorse.