Menu

Uh oh. Bb gun and neighbor dogs.

This does not matter at all. What the point is that your ds shot a weapon at an animal with cruel intent. End of story.

I'm not surprised by your ds's actions considering what you have said so far in this thread.

Cruel? Well, I may be totally ignorant but I have never thought of it as cruel....so yeah, I guess maybe that did rub off on ds.

I told her I was sorry and that ds wouldn't do it again. But I hate those dogs and I hate how she allows them to bark so much I just can't work up much remorse.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Even after 6 pages you're still completely missing the point.

What your son did was torture. He may not have known it then, but I hope he knows it now.

I'd suggest not talking to the neighbor until you've done some research yourself on BB gun injuries and "mustered up" some REAL remorse.

Yeah. Maybe I better let dh talk to her. He can apologize for his crazy wife.

I do not think it was torture. Sorry I just don't. However, I will let know ds that many people do and he best not shoot any dogs again.

Why do you not see it as cruel? I really, really understand yappy, barking dogs but shooting one has never crossed my mind. Why are you apologizing for your son?

not being snarky--really curious as to your thought processes here

Geesh, it is dogs barking. That happens in a neighborhood. It's kind of like kids running and screaming. It just does.

I'm sorry, but you are sure lucky.

You better take the BB gun away from son. Again, and he could very well end up picked up by the police. I hope you are in the country!

I do not equate dogs to boys.

Your son is a being that you care about. Her dog is a being that she cares about. If it is not okay to shoot your son with a BB gun then it is not okay for anyone to shoot her dog with a BB gun, either. It WAS cruel and mean and completely uncalled for.

An apology with a "yeah, but..." is no apology.

Why do you not see it as cruel? I really, really understand yappy, barking dogs but shooting one has never crossed my mind. Why are you apologizing for your son?

not being snarky--really curious as to your thought processes here

Yeah it isn't really like me is it? I dont' know. I just don't think it is cruel. I do understand there is a risk that it could hit the dogs eye. Very small risk considering distance ds was from them...and he has been instructed to not do it again.

OP, even if you decide you don't think this constitutes cruelty, I suspect that the law would have a different definition of cruelty than you seem to have.

You may deem it not cruel, but the police may have a very different definition.

True. Thus ds has been instructed not to do it again.

No, I am not missing the point. Point is you all think it is horrible to shoot a dog with a bb (sort of) gun.

The main point is this:

Your son misused a gun.

You simply cannot justify his behavior. At. all.

I do not equate dogs to boys.

But clearly, your neighbor does. It's HER dog and she told you that they consider their dog a member of the family. Your son shot a member of her family. Can you possibly put yourself in that mindset by imagining it being your son??

Seriously, I don't equate dogs and children either- but I would be absolutely, beside myself furious if a neighbor child shot my dog with a BB gun on my property. I would call the police and report animal cruelty. It is simply not okay to use a weapon of any kind against any human or animal just because they annoy you.

Your son is a being that you care about. Her dog is a being that she cares about. If it is not okay to shoot your son with a BB gun then it is not okay for anyone to shoot her dog with a BB gun, either. It WAS cruel and mean and completely uncalled for.

An apology with a "yeah, but..." is no apology.

Yeah, but.......not sure how to say sorry any more than I already did. When I said, 'I'm sorry, I will tell him not to do it again,' She just stood there.

It wasn't a deflection. It was an explanation. He WAS shooting at it to make it shut up. She has a problem with it and I told her I would tell ds not to do it any more. I did tell her I was sorry. I think.

I am going to make him take the bb gun to his dad's.... I still am not sure it is even a real bb gun but don't really want him having it.

WOW...just WOW...and you think shooting at an animal to make it shut up is OK?? :glare:

Guest submarines
I would be furious! There are some red flags here:

- Son should ONLY be shooting at targets' date=' NEVER a living thing that is annoying him. Bad lesson there.

- Your son is 10? Was he doing this unsupervised? A 10 year old should not be shooting a bb gun unsupervised.

- How does a 10 year old get to decide how much something hurts or how dangerous it is? What level of hurt is okay to inflict upon an animal?

You should apologize to the neighbor for your son's behavior because you are responsible for it too. You should have your son apologize. You should take away the bb gun.

THEN you can work with the neighbor about the dogs. Get animal control involved if necessary. But it is not okay to raise a vigilanty.[/quote']

Children do stupid things. The red flag here is the OP's attitude.

Yeah, but.......not sure how to say sorry any more than I already did. When I said, 'I'm sorry, I will tell him not to do it again,' She just stood there.

I didn't mean that you used those exact words. I meant that saying the bit about the barking was an attempt to rationalize what happened and to put some of the fault on her.

You are right that this thread does not sound like you. So much so that numerous times since reading the OP I thought,"Who is writing this? Where is Scarlett?" :001_smile:

Yeah. Maybe I better let dh talk to her. He can apologize for his crazy wife.

I do not think it was torture. Sorry I just don't. However, I will let know ds that many people do and he best not shoot any dogs again.

What would your response have been had your son shot at a nice, friendly dog?

I realize you think, for some strange reason, that shooting at an annoying dog is okay. But would you think it funny, sporting, okay, totally acceptable behavior if your ds was shooting at random nice dogs? Perhaps having target practice at any dog walking down the street?

You really need to step outside of this particular situation with this particular dog and think about the action itself. Your 10 year old son decided it was okay and justifiable to point a weapon at an animal, pull the trigger, and disregard any potential harm to that animal.

Whether you like the animal or not, this is not okay. Put another animal in the mental image you have of this. Truly. Not a random squirrel or bird, but some nice non-barking pet that belongs to someone.

Would that still be okay?

If you still think so after that.......well, I don't know how you could. But whatever you think would be the punishment/discipline had your son shot someone else's pet, some nice, non barking dog -- that needs to be the discipline in this case as well.

This could come back to bite your son, big time. This probably sounds harsher than I intend, but I really, really think you need to hear this:

In our society, causing pain to animals (with exceptions for lawful hunting) is considered to be sociopathic behavior.

In our society, deliberately hurting someone else's pets is also seen as deviant and disturbing behavior.

We only ever shoot, at persons or animals, if we are willing and ready to kill.

We only shoot animals for self-defense or for food (and there are laws concerning both).

You really need to grasp the enormity of what your child has done and do all you can to make amends. You need prepare him, and yourself, for a visit from CPS or the police.

I'll step in on Scarlett's side here.

For context - I'm a shelter dog owner, I love my dog, she is a part of our family.

However, I think that equating a 10 year old boy shooting a dog with a small BB gun (one time, and he may or may not have even hit it) to TORTURE is excessive. I also think that calling the police over shooting a barking dog is excessive.

Scarlett apologized. She said he wouldn't do it again. Is she supposed to go over there with a gift basket or something??

I didn't mean that you used those exact words. I meant that saying the bit about the barking was an attempt to rationalize what happened and to put some of the fault on her.

Well, I guess basically she was asking for an explanation. That was the best I had. I wasn't actually trying to put the blame on her. Just an explanation for the bb usage.

You are right that this thread does not sound like you. So much so that numerous times since reading the OP I thought,"Who is writing this? Where is Scarlett?" :001_smile:

:tongue_smilie:

Honestly, I didn't know the police could get called. If they do, I will face the music and apologize and again repeat ds won't be doing that again. But yeah, I hate dogs that bark. If I had a dog that barked all the time and my neighbor shot it with bb gun...I would get rid of dog.

Yep. OP here with bad attitude. I hate her dogs. And I don't think shooting at them with a bb gun is the worst thing ever.

The homeowner who is diagonally behind me has a fenced in yard and 6 dogs (on about a 1/2 acre lot) who bark a lot when we are outside. They are super irritating. For a while, one frequently got out. IMO the appropriate thing is to deal w/ it through the correct channels (animal control or in my area, the police handle the situation if it is a dog getting out oddly enough).

Did you ever investigate whether there are any laws on the books that could be used with to appropriately deal with the neighbor dogs?

eta: have you ever asked the homeowner if there is anything she can do about her annoying dogs? At this point the relationship is likely severed, but I'm wondering if you ever tried talking with her in the past?

I think you are lucky she didn't call the police. It's that serious.

I absolutely agree with this! I'd have called the police before the rotten little offender could count to 3! Since when is VIOLENCE okay just because you are disturbed by a little noise? We live in a neighborhood with many college rentals, and the kids get pretty loud with their car stereos fairly often. Should I go out with a bb gun and start shooting the college students because they are bit noisy (a normal state for college students, if I remember my own youth correctly?) Or how about that neighbor who mows his lawn every other day in the summer? Gosh, that thing makes some noise, but I'd never dream of aiming a weapon at him! Dogs are living creatures, and your son could have really done some damage! What if he had hit the animal in the eye and blinded it? What if the wound gets infected? You need to take this more seriously! Your son wasn't just having a little fun- he was intentionally injuring an innocent animal, and damaging your neighbor's property!

I'd have your son write a letter of apology, and go with him to deliver it. While you're there, you might want to offer to pay the vet bill if the dog has an open wound that needs treatment!

Well, I guess basically she was asking for an explanation. That was the best I had. I wasn't actually trying to put the blame on her. Just an explanation for the bb usage.

:tongue_smilie:

Honestly, I didn't know the police could get called. If they do, I will face the music and apologize and again repeat ds won't be doing that again. But yeah, I hate dogs that bark. If I had a dog that barked all the time and my neighbor shot it with bb gun...I would get rid of dog.

Wanna know something funny? Last night I was practicing the sax while my dog hid her face in the pillow. I wondered, "Could I practice outside in the mornings?" then wondered if I should ask my neighbors. Then I wondered if I should ask the hive. Now I wonder if people would want to pop a BB in my backside if I hit the wrong note. :lol:

For context - I'm a shelter dog owner, I love my dog, she is a part of our family.

However, I think that equating a 10 year old boy shooting a dog with a small BB gun (one time, and he may or may not have even hit it) to TORTURE is excessive. I also think that calling the police over shooting a barking dog is excessive.

Scarlett apologized. She said he wouldn't do it again. Is she supposed to go over there with a gift basket or something??

I would, as a dog owner, hope that she'd offer to pay any vet bill if I wanted to get my dog checked out or arising from any injury that resulted. I'd want her to make sure my dog was not injured and I'd want to hear exactly how she planned to enforce the new rule that her son wouldn't be shooting my animal. Even if my animal was barking too much for her.

The dog was not trying to attack Scarlett's son. He was not physically threatened by it.

The fact that he didn't like to listen to the dog bark isn't enough to justify shooting it. There are decent, lawful ways to deal with an annoying dog, but shooting it isn't one of them.

No but she may need to wait for a knock on the door from the police. Honestly, if my dog had been shot by a neighbor child with a bb gun and I didn't really sense remorse, I would absolutely be on the phone.

I would, as a dog owner, hope that she'd offer to pay any vet bill if I wanted to get my dog checked out or arising from any injury that resulted. I'd want her to make sure my dog was not injured and I'd want to hear exactly how she planned to enforce the new rule that her son wouldn't be shooting my animal. Even if my animal was barking too much for her.

:iagree:

Exactly this.

Wanna know something funny? Last night I was practicing the sax while my dog hid her face in the pillow. I wondered, "Could I practice outside in the mornings?" then wondered if I should ask my neighbors. Then I wondered if I should ask the hive. Now I wonder if people would want to pop a BB in my backside if I hit the wrong note. :lol:

1. You said sAx. Important detail so close to the word "pillow".

2. :lol:

What would your response have been had your son shot at a nice, friendly dog?

I realize you think, for some strange reason, that shooting at an annoying dog is okay. But would you think it funny, sporting, okay, totally acceptable behavior if your ds was shooting at random nice dogs? Perhaps having target practice at any dog walking down the street?

You really need to step outside of this particular situation with this particular dog and think about the action itself. Your 10 year old son decided it was okay and justifiable to point a weapon at an animal, pull the trigger, and disregard any potential harm to that animal.

Whether you like the animal or not, this is not okay. Put another animal in the mental image you have of this. Truly. Not a random squirrel or bird, but some nice non-barking pet that belongs to someone.

Would that still be okay?

If you still think so after that.......well, I don't know how you could. But whatever you think would be the punishment/discipline had your son shot someone else's pet, some nice, non barking dog -- that needs to be the discipline in this case as well.

Point well made and taken. Ds has been taught to never harm living creatures for sport. He would be in HUGE trouble for shooting at any living creature for sport. Maybe that is where I get murky...it wasn't for sport. I do see that it is not my right (or my son's) to control a neighbors dog.

When you say you don't equate boys to dogs - does that mean you think it would be wrong for your son to be shot with a bb gun?

You can't do something to a neighbor's dog that you would not do to your own son. Your kid can't, either.

I really think that if you feel the child's gun is so non-dangerous, you should take your boy out back and have him turn around and get shot by you with it. In addition to him shooting you with it. Then come back and tell us that you have shot your own son with it as evidence that it isn't really a bb gun, or whatever you are trying to tell yourself.

This could come back to bite your son, big time. This probably sounds harsher than I intend, but I really, really think you need to hear this:

In our society, causing pain to animals (with exceptions for lawful hunting) is considered to be sociopathic behavior.

In our society, deliberately hurting someone else's pets is also seen as deviant and disturbing behavior.

We only ever shoot, at persons or animals, if we are willing and ready to kill.

We only shoot animals for self-defense or for food (and there are laws concerning both).

You really need to grasp the enormity of what your child has done and do all you can to make amends. You need prepare him, and yourself, for a visit from CPS or the police.

Yeah, I'm thinking this is over the top.

No, I am not missing the point. Point is you all think it is horrible to shoot a dog with a bb (sort of) gun.

I think MOST people would think it was terrible to shoot at a live animal with any sort of weapon.

My father learned his lesson when he accidentally shot my cat with a BB gun. The cat was badly injured and required surgery. My father was shooting at a raccoon, and I guess the cat was chasing the raccoon.

It is pretty well known that being harmful to animals as a child is a red flag for other problems later in life.

Edited by leeannpal

I think shooting a dog with a bb gun is VERY serious. He could have shot it in the eye. It could have lost an eye or it could have gone into the brain. It's definitely not something I'd take lightly AT ALL.

I want to share that my younger son shot at some cows with his bb gun. He was showing off for his friends. His bragging about it on the school bus is what got him caught. :glare: I was so upset to find this out. We immediately took ds down to apologize FACE TO FACE. Little tough guy was choking back tears as he apologized. Dh and I told the farmer that our ds was at his disposal on weekends until further notice. Ds shoveled a LOT of sh#t for him.

I would prefer he not have the bb gun AT ALL. I didn't buy it...his dad did.

One time my XH shot a neighbors dog with a bb gun that wouldn't stop barking. It never barked at us again.

I guess I am down right uncivilized because as much as I hate guns and like dogs I'd like to shoot those dogs myself. I hate them.

Your son obviously thinks it's OK because his father did the same thing. That is a troublesome pattern.

You don't shoot family pets to get them to stop barking. I would be livid if my son did something like that, despite how much barking dogs drive me batty.

I'm sorry, but I think your neighbor is going to suspect your son for any mischief in your neighborhood, whether he is involved, or not. Be ready.

LOL.

Very, very serious.

I would take the bb gun away FOREVER and throw it and any other weapons right into the trash FOREVER. (And, I am not anti weaponry in general. I am OK with bb guns if you live in a place where they can be safely used, and if the kid can be responsible with them.)

My kid would get absolutely nightmare consequences for animal cruelty such as that. The weapons going in the garbage for eternity would be step 1. (No more weapons until he was out on his own paying his own way.) Step 2 would be a massive written apology to the family, along with a gift basket (paid for by the son) of toys and treats for the dog. Step 3 would be some kind of service -- probably volunteering at a local shelter or rescue if one accepted kids that age.

You owe to dog owner a personal apology for turning it around on her dog (and thereby her) being to blame. Yoikes! I am sure you were just feeling defensive of your son, and I'd offer that as my lame excuse, along with a home baked batch of something yummy, and my personal THANKS for not calling the police! If it were my dog, and I caught a kid shooting a bb at it, I would ABSOLUTELY call the cops unless the parents totally impressed me with their shock-and-awe approach to disciplining their child.

Good kids do bad things. I'm not saying your boy is bad. My boy could totally do something like that. He probably wouldn't do exactly that (something to an animal) b/c he knows his parents well enough to fear the consequences, but really, this is behavior totally in the realm of expected bad boy behavior. I just mean to say that I think you can and should come down hard on this.