Menu

Hurricane Check-In Thread--Come here to tell us you are ok

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as all of you finish up it looks like we in New England are startingish....it is raining right now and there appears to be a lot of rain already. Suppose to get worse as the day goes on. Hoping to get released from the hospital before it starts to ramp up. Really hoping we are as lucky as everyone else and it is just a noisy but safe night.

7:00am here in MD. We lost a huge tree, which broke the playset. I was concerned about that tree, but thankful it didn't fall the other way, as it would be in my bedroom.

Probably other trees on our property, but I haven't been outside yet.

It's 7:40 here and we JUST lost a tree. Missed our playset (darn, we needed a new one :lol:) but landed on our shed. Luckily it missed the house by 15 feet or so.

Glad you are OK!

It's 7:40 here and we JUST lost a tree. Missed our playset (darn, we needed a new one :lol:) but landed on our shed. Luckily it missed the house by 15 feet or so.

Glad you are OK!

Thanks. Dh just went out to check out the property and he said two trees are across our driveway and there's a big one on the main road (Rt97) just beyond our driveway.

And here's my PSA for the day: anyone cleaning up from downed trees, please use great caution! My friend's BIL was killed a few years ago cleaning up fallen trees after a hurricane. A large limb broke off and struck him.

We are fine. DH went out and took a few pictures and short videos around 6:30 this morning. Lots of downed trees, including a crushed car about a block away. No flooding where we are. Our electricity flashed a bit, but that was it. The wind and rain kept me awake some last night. I think I was just on edge.

So far, so good for us here in central Jersey. No power outages, miraculously! Tons of rain, a few branches down but no damage. I think we're at the tail end of the storm, so now it's just a waiting game.

We're just north of Philadelphia, and we've seen about the same. Tons of rain, the wind is less worrisome than expected, no trees down, and the power is still on.

We're good.

Dd woke up and said "It looks like fall outside!" because the driveway is paved with leaves and small sticks. Just a few limbs down, but the ground is saturated so the remaining winds could cause some trees to fall. Most of our trees start their first branches about 20-40 feet up, which makes them sort of top heavy. They are close together, too, so if one goes out, it usually takes at least one more out.

Dh just walked the grounds--doesn't seem to be much damage.

And we only lost power for about 3 seconds last night, so there's coffee...:D

Dh is going to check on our Northern Neck house this pm--now THAT's going to be interesting, because it's also heavily wooded and they got a LOT of weather last night.

Glad to hear everyone is safe so far.

Other than losing a medium-sized limb off one of our trees, having no power this morning (it's back on for now), and sitting here in soppy pj pants from letting the dog out on leash the 4 TIMES before he finally pooped (playing in the wind & rain was way more fun in his opinion), we're peachy. I'm not worried in the least. We live on a big hill so we never flood, we had most our the big pines in our backyard cut down a year ago, and worst-case scenario, we have a generator if we lose power for a substantial period of time.

And here's my PSA for the day: anyone cleaning up from downed trees, please use great caution! My friend's BIL was killed a few years ago cleaning up fallen trees after a hurricane. A large limb broke off and struck him.

This is very good advice. After a storm, tree limbs could be hanging on by just a thread. Do overhead checks as you're walking or driving by, and if you see anything unusual, talk to the homeowners or your town/city about the dangling limb. I have witnessed two huge limbs falling a few weeks after big storms. Better safe than sorry.

Also, keep an eye out for downed power lines and avoid them.

Be safe, everyone.

Edited by MBM

This is very good advice. After a storm, tree limbs could be hanging on by just a thread. Do overhead checks as you're walking or driving by, and if you see anything unusual, talk to the homeowners or your town/city about the dangling limb. I have witnessed two huge limbs falling a few weeks after big storms. Better safe than sorry.

Also, keep an eye out for downed power lines and avoid them.

Be safe, everyone.

Yup, we just lost a third of our pear tree with no warning at all. We knew it was likely and were shocked that all three upright sections were intact this morning, but then it just fell with no immediate warning while I was checking on work. Took out the top of the fence, but not the main part below.

We started getting rain from Irene after midnight last night. It's been a steady rain since then, but no wind. We're expecting the high winds sometime tonight. My daughter will be bunking with her brothers tonight, *away* from the fifty-foot willow right outside her bedroom. :P

Stay safe everyone! Praying...

we fared well in central NJ. All except for my idiot. he put the pump in the pool to drain some water off so it wouldn't overflow towards the house. I woke up at 3 am to use the bathroom and saw the pool is half empty. I don't exactly know why, but it has to do with he swears he turned it off and a timer issue, but now the pool is half empty and its going to take days to refill.

robin in NJ

We're more central in PA, so hardly saw the worst of anything. It was windy all night with some rain (roughly 3 inches I think). No damage in the immediate area that I've seen. No loss of power. No flooding of any sort, but local news says some trees are down - generally to the east of us.

I hope those more toward the coast did ok.

I am in central NJ. I lost power last night and it will more than likely be days before I get it back. Our town flooded. Center Of town looks like a lake. Thank goodness I am at the top of the hill and we have a generator. Got my over ninety year old neighbor hooked in to our generator and I think we are eating outside tonight.

Winds are ferocious here. Wire snapped next to the house, and while all of us (neighbors) were out there talking a huge tree fell over. It fell between two houses-that were full of people. It's amazing how it didn't hit a house. It tore the whole sidewalk right up. I can't believe we still have power.

The roads on the square heaved and so traffic is being diverted and the firemen told us that the winds are expected to get stronger. The firemen are going around and pumping everyone's basements out.

I'm so sorry for everyone that is dealing with damage. :grouphug:

Edited by justamouse

3pm here and we seem to be through the worst of it. Lots of twigs down and a few big limbs, but that is all. We lost power for a bit but it is back on now (obviously). My dad, on the coast, says it wasn't bad and the boats are fine. Our houses are all in the lee of hills. Airport clocked winds in the 50s but I don't think we got even that. Everyone giving a big sigh of relief.

SWB - I'm sorry to hear about the damage. I'm glad the farm is ok. Hope the animals weren't too freaked out. Our dog shook under our feet and I thought about all of you with horses.

Nan

Colleen in NS - You, my dear, know how to pick a vacation. Stay safe, too.

:lol:

Where are you Colleen? I'm grew up in New Bern.

I'm visiting my sister in Wilmington.

Sent you an email, Lisa.

My husband endured the storm last night from our southern beach location. I am preparing to sing "Good Night, Irene" from my northern beach location. The dear boy will hopefully be able to fly out of Logan to his Midwestern college this afternoon. Wasn't I smart to reroute him away from Baltimore earlier in the week?

Colleen defines homeschooling. Why just read about earth science when you can expose your kids to an earthquake and a hurricane?

Watching and waiting (and grateful for all good thoughts),

Jane

:lol:

Hope your husband's location is intact, and glad he is fine. Hang in there, will be waiting to hear from you!

Wow Colleen, it will be a memorable vacation. Your home will be ok, right?

I don't know - I hear the rains have started in NS, but I haven't looked today to see where it is tracking now.

Good golly, remind me never to travel with you! :tongue_smilie:

Trust me, it's been an adventurous few days!!!!!

Are you visiting your sister's beautiful twin babies? Give them a big hug from a twin mommy. :grouphug:

YES!!!! They're gorgeous!!!!!! I'm in baby heaven.

:D Yes, Colleen definitely has me beat for eyewitness earth science this year.

heh heh, I try! :D Hoping I DON'T have to witness it again when we return home to NS!!

Farm is fine, but PHP office was damaged by huge tree. :-( Not sure when we'll be back up and running.

SWB

Just saw your blog pictures and report - pretty bad, eh? So sorry.

Connecticut here. We went to stay with my folks and dh stayed home. The eye passed within a few miles of our house, but dh said it wasn't too bad. The wind actually kept him up last night, though. Also, no power there and lots of flooding. I think we may stay here one more night. Ugh. But at least we're all okay.

I am in VT on the border with NH, upper valley area, and it appears a rather unevent...Lots and lots of rain which is causing some localized flooding and supposedly the river that divides the states will start flooding today and into tomorrow but the wind has been pretty nonexistant, and only a comparatively small number of people are out of power here. So overall looks good, although we have a few more hours till it is officially past us. Have read about really bad flooding in other towns though like Brattleboro a town we drive through a whole bunch.

We're in Northern NJ, and the winds have been blowing strong all day. They seem worse than they were last night. Lots of branches down, but thankfully no trees in our immediate area. I've heard of many downed trees near us though, and a good amount of flooding. I have less than an inch in my basement. I was expecting it, so I moved everything off the floor last night. Luckily our school room is elevated by about 3 inches, and the sump pump has been going on that end of the basement. Our power flickered quite a bit last night, but stayed on. Hopefully that will not change! My thoughts go out to those who are in severe flood areas. Looks like some areas of NJ are going to get worse before they get better.

I am in VT on the border with NH, upper valley area, and it appears a rather unevent...Lots and lots of rain which is causing some localized flooding and supposedly the river that divides the states will start flooding today and into tomorrow but the wind has been pretty nonexistant, and only a comparatively small number of people are out of power here. So overall looks good, although we have a few more hours till it is officially past us. Have read about really bad flooding in other towns though like Brattleboro a town we drive through a whole bunch.

Brattleboro proper is right down on the river, though, right? The bedrock runoff has to be tough for those towns with their centers right on the rivers.

I know my dad, and aunts and uncless are on high ground, but I wonder how high the Androscoggin is going to get... The town police might be flooded out, and the children's room of the library is in the basement on the other bank.

(yes, I'm a homeshooler. I'm worried about the books.)

Once again, we moved inland to get killed by weather, while at our place on the barrier islands, things were less severe! :confused: We keep leaving 'cause we think our number is up, but it wasn't this time. Our street in Wildwood, NJ never lost power. Here inland a bit above the tip of the Chesapeake, yeah, we just got power back. Which is good, 'cause let me tell you, a tub full of water doesn't equal as many toilet flushes as you think it will! :tongue_smilie:

My liver may never recover. We made every drink known to man and beast in the last 36 hours. Still would rather die than drink gin. That's not really news, I guess. ;)

Hi NoNo, I was hoping you would check in. Same thing happened to us, we went to nephew's house in Egg Harbor Township where he lost power. We stayed there Fri and Sat and came back to O.C. today. Power was not lost here so everything in our fridge and freezer is fine. At nephew's we had ice cream for dinner last night and of course no showers until we got back on our island. No damage to house. This is only the second time we have left the island for a hurricane, the first time was in 1985 during Hurricane Gloria which also we had no damage. Had to take our 8 cats with us, that was an adventure.

Once again, we moved inland to get killed by weather, while at our place on the barrier islands, things were less severe! :confused: We keep leaving 'cause we think our number is up, but it wasn't this time. Our street in Wildwood, NJ never lost power. Here inland a bit above the tip of the Chesapeake, yeah, we just got power back. Which is good, 'cause let me tell you, a tub full of water doesn't equal as many toilet flushes as you think it will! :tongue_smilie:

My liver may never recover. We made every drink known to man and beast in the last 36 hours. Still would rather die than drink gin. That's not really news, I guess. ;)

did you loose water too? we always had water

And I just saw pictures of another town in our township and the water is rushing over a bridge that we have driven across before...so the flooding is the real scary thing here...we are on high ground so not a problem for my family but a tragedy for a number if other families and we won't know the full extent until it peaks tomorrow.