Menu

Hurricane Check-In Thread--Come here to tell us you are ok

Anyone here in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia? My daughter and her family are at Fort Eustis and I would love to hear how y'all are doing down there.

:grouphug:

My daughter just texted me and said they're fine and not to worry.

I am a mom...It's my job to worry about my kiddos. ;)

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's because the eye is expected to make landfall and pass over Long Island. The storm is more intense closer to the eyewall.

We're visiting family in southeastern NC and it's pretty windy here, with big branches down everywhere. Power has flickered a few times, but it's still on, at least in this house. I think the eye passed about 100 miles east of us, so it isn't as bad as expected. Although I freaked out a little to find out this a.m. that we had been under a tornado watch all night - I've lived through hurricanes before, but not a tornado watch!!! :lol:

It has been quite the road trip for us - first, being in DC during the earthquake; then being in the path of Irene, then being on tornado watch. Phew!

Where are you Colleen? I'm grew up in New Bern.

It just started raining in central MD. The air was thick and muggy, but the rain brought a cool breeze. Right NOW the change is pleasant. We got downgraded through the night, so I'm not expecting more than an impressive rainstorm with some impressive wind to go with it.

I should probably go do that laundry we were all talking about :glare:

Go do your laundry, gal! :lol: I just folded the last load, and we are packed & ready to go (perhaps). Still undecided about that.

The outside/yard is all ready for the storm, the (unfinished) basement is as storm-proofed as we can make it, the disaster boxes are all stocked & ready to go (or stay), if needed. We have the necessary flashlights, batteries, etc., if we do run out of power. We have water in buckets for flushing the toilet. What did we miss?

We have a hotel reserved further west, have until 6 pm to cancel. There is a nice, indoor pool. We haven't had a vacation this summer, and the weather all next week is supposed to be 80 degrees and sunny. In Amish country.... Hmmm...

Stay or go? We'll be less than 40 miles from the eye of the storm, versus over 130 miles if we evacuate. We won't have to pay for the hotel suite or breakfast. My husband's job takes him out there all next week, anyway.

It just started raining in central MD. The air was thick and muggy, but the rain brought a cool breeze. Right NOW the change is pleasant. We got downgraded through the night, so I'm not expecting more than an impressive rainstorm with some impressive wind to go with it.

Same on the shore. And, yes, I should get some laundry in.

We will likely lose our electricity. :tongue_smilie: and have flooding in our basement. I'm just praying that the huge pines don't come down on the house. They have been coming down in bits and pieces through minor storms over the past 6 yrs. Just last week, we called someone to get a price on taking them down. They hadn't gotten back to us before Irene came up. We live on the side of a hill, very exposed, and it doesn't take much to tip trees here, especially when the ground is already wet. We would have cut them down ourselves, but our electric lines thread between them, and they are that close to the house.

Hoping and praying for safety for all.

Has anyone heard from Jane in NC?

Colleen in NS - You, my dear, know how to pick a vacation. Stay safe, too.

Wishing all of you and your loved ones a safe weekend. :grouphug:

Sent you an email, Lisa.

My husband endured the storm last night from our southern beach location. I am preparing to sing "Good Night, Irene" from my northern beach location. The dear boy will hopefully be able to fly out of Logan to his Midwestern college this afternoon. Wasn't I smart to reroute him away from Baltimore earlier in the week?

Colleen defines homeschooling. Why just read about earth science when you can expose your kids to an earthquake and a hurricane?

Watching and waiting (and grateful for all good thoughts),

Jane

Edited by Jane in NC

I was just watching Weather Channel video from Virginia Beach, and it looks scary! I'm thinking of you all she marches north.

We're just waiting and watching in central NJ. We're only 30 miles or so from the ocean here, so I really just don't know what to expect. We're hunkered down with books, movies (assuming we'll have power for awhile yet), new activity books etc. DH just went out to get the makings for a san cocho (stew), so he's looking for comfort food. We're hoping against hope that we'll be able to leave for our Outer Banks trip on Monday or Tuesday (instead of tomorrow) but I'm starting to think it's not going to be possible *sigh* I just hope that everyone is safe down there and there's no major damage for them to contend with.

The suspense is driving me crazy! :willy_nilly:

I'm just praying that the huge pines don't come down on the house.

:grouphug: We have huge oaks with some questionable branches all over our property. One is four feet from our big living room bow window. They're all in a position to crush the house if they come down. I'm starting to wonder if sleeping downstairs might be a good idea tonight!

Thinking and praying for safety for all of you. We moved away from the east coast about a month and a half ago. Hopefully the owners of the house we had rented got the correct tree chopped down before this (we had a big tree that was growing into the deck and over the house and needed to go, landlord arranged for removal and the removal guys took the wrong tree- it was not in good shape too but nowhere are dangerous as that tree was. )

My parents' neighbors just called (Kilmarnock, VA, north of VA beach, on the Chesapeake Bay). Their docks are covered with water and water is creeping up land.

Winds in our area (near Richmond) are 50 miles an hour and getting faster.

May have to unplug soon!

It's windy here in Charlotte with some clouds from the outer bands of Irene. My son has been flying his $1 Walmart kite in the backyard :D.

I called my grandparents in NH to see if they were all set, and they assured me they are fine. My self-righteous, needs-to-be-humbled uncle was over, and I could hear him and my aunt cackling about the fact that I had called concerned. :mad: I don't think this is something to joke about due to the massive size, but anyway he always does think he knows better than everyone else (can you tell I harbor some bitterness?).

I hope everyone stays safe, and thanks for all those who have updated!

guess we are supposed to get the brunt of it late tonight going into tomorrow.. lot of rain predicted and winds... Since we are inland, I am not quite sure what to expect.. However, because of the ice storm of 2008, the town is better prepared with electric trucks, and temporary shelters, in case power goes out, etc.. Plus it's August not December.. Nothing is really happening here yet at 2:17 p.m.

Just some rain and a bit of wind but not too bad here 50 miles west of DC. At least we haven't had an aftershock in a few days!:tongue_smilie:

I was thinking about the aftershocks too. An earthquake in the middle of a hurricane would really be too much. The earthquake and the 4.5 aftershock I felt have left my nerves rattled. If someone slams a door that shakes the walls a bit I think it's about to happen again. Having grown up near New Orleans, this hurricane is just an inconvenience. :tongue_smilie:

It's windy here in Charlotte with some clouds from the outer bands of Irene. My son has been flying his $1 Walmart kite in the backyard :D.

I called my grandparents in NH to see if they were all set, and they assured me they are fine. My self-righteous, needs-to-be-humbled uncle was over, and I could hear him and my aunt cackling about the fact that I had called concerned. :mad: I don't think this is something to joke about due to the massive size, but anyway he always does think he knows better than everyone else (can you tell I harbor some bitterness?).

I hope everyone stays safe, and thanks for all those who have updated!

How dare you be concerned. I mean, really, NH gets hurricanes crossing the state corner to corner ALL.THE.TIME. :001_huh:

I do not believe it, but my lunatic mailman (I'm hoping not the pregnant one) has delivered the mail. On foot. Crazy.

Not much happened on SE South Carolina, a little wind and rain. I prepped much more than necessary, but hey, the laundry is pretty caught up! We moved here from Chesapeake, VA and they are getting hammered. Kind of glad I'm not there....

Later, we're moving all the mattresses to the basement and having a big slumber party through the night.

Your basement doesn't flood, does it??? Would be bad to soak all of your mattresses!

We're visiting family in southeastern NC and it's pretty windy here, with big branches down everywhere. Power has flickered a few times, but it's still on, at least in this house. I think the eye passed about 100 miles east of us, so it isn't as bad as expected. Although I freaked out a little to find out this a.m. that we had been under a tornado watch all night - I've lived through hurricanes before, but not a tornado watch!!! :lol:

It has been quite the road trip for us - first, being in DC during the earthquake; then being in the path of Irene, then being on tornado watch. Phew!

Wow Colleen, it will be a memorable vacation. Your home will be ok, right?

It's because the eye is expected to make landfall and pass over Long Island. The storm is more intense closer to the eyewall.

Good golly, remind me never to travel with you! :tongue_smilie:

So I am starting to worry...hurricane is suppose to hit tomorrow...right now I am at the hospital with my dd (just testing nothing serious) and we are suppose to be released about the same time it hits...I am scared of having to drive home in the wind.

Do you think we need to get the basement ready to stay in over night or just hang out in the first floor?

So I am starting to worry...hurricane is suppose to hit tomorrow...right now I am at the hospital with my dd (just testing nothing serious) and we are suppose to be released about the same time it hits...I am scared of having to drive home in the wind.

Do you think we need to get the basement ready to stay in over night or just hang out in the first floor?

Basements can flood (hopefully not yours!). The first floor should be fine.

My parents' neighbors just called (Kilmarnock, VA, north of VA beach, on the Chesapeake Bay). Their docks are covered with water and water is creeping up land.

Winds in our area (near Richmond) are 50 miles an hour and getting faster.

May have to unplug soon!

We have a property/house in Lancaster--Dh will probably go down on Sunday to see if the house is ok (lots of trees). Thanks for the Kilmarnock update.:001_smile:

:grouphug: We have huge oaks with some questionable branches all over our property. One is four feet from our big living room bow window. They're all in a position to crush the house if they come down. I'm starting to wonder if sleeping downstairs might be a good idea tonight!

We are planning to all sleep in the family room, opposite side of the house from the trees. Oak trees have very deep roots, so your tree is less likely to tip. It might drop some hefty branches though.

I've been texting back and forth with my daughter who is at Fort Eustis. Her power is out and her husband is working 6 pm to 6 am on the base. (He's a police officer so I imagine he'll check on her and my granddaughter from time to time during the night) She said they've gotten 5.5 inches of rain thus far.

So far, here in SouthCentral, PA, it is raining. Just raining. My relatives in the Baltimore area are experiencing much the same. We prepared ahead of time stocking up on water (filling empty milk gallons with filtered water from our Brita pitchers), filling the tub (water to flush toilets), husband got lots of junk food (he calls it comfort food :glare:) from the store, took out candles, flashlights, etc. So far, we have power. Praying for those closer to the coastlines.

Short rant. Our news people have decided to stop talking about our area other than calling us southern :glare: I know New Jersey's weather BETTER than I do my own. What gives?!? :banghead:

Tony, Sue: You have disappointed me. I may have to go back to Topper.

Yeah, don't you want to just shout at the screen, "Could you be a little more specific, please?" LOL, we're from NJ (but in PA now ;)), and I thought the same thing -- the people who really need the details are getting lumped into "southern." Hang in there.

Has Nono checked in? She's RIGHT on the ocean and I think was evacuated. I'm hoping and praying she's snuggled in tight.

Yes, I'm pretty sure she was packing during her last post (in a manner of speaking). Hey, Nono, if you're out by Ephrata, here's a shout out! :seeya:

Edited by Sahamamama

Are you visiting your sister's beautiful twin babies? Give them a big hug from a twin mommy. :grouphug:

Sent you an email, Lisa.

My husband endured the storm last night from our southern beach location. I am preparing to sing "Good Night, Irene" from my northern beach location. The dear boy will hopefully be able to fly out of Logan to his Midwestern college this afternoon. Wasn't I smart to reroute him away from Baltimore earlier in the week?

Colleen defines homeschooling. Why just read about earth science when you can expose your kids to an earthquake and a hurricane?

Watching and waiting (and grateful for all good thoughts),

Jane

I am relieved to hear that you are all okay and that the young man's flight is following a safer route.

:D Yes, Colleen definitely has me beat for eyewitness earth science this year.

Outside of Fredericksburg, Virginia, and the rain and wind are something else, but we still have power!!!

3" of rain so far today and it's not supposed to stop for us until noon tomorrow. And it's raining anywhere from 1/2" to 1" per hour.

Baking cookies and preparing to set up the board games -- we have Sorry, Trouble, and Uno on hand for this evening. :)

Stay safe, everyone!

just wondering how everyone in VA/NC/MD is doing...

we are in southern-central nj and lots of wind and rain. the worst is supposed to hit overnight.

I am sooo bored! I don't want to read, or crochet, or cook, or ANYTHING...

ugh.

Robin in NJ

Hi Robin!

You must be nearby. So far, quite a lot of rain and a little wind.

Stay dry.:seeya: